Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,183 Words
  • 2,017 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Makarovia! Yes, I Know Where That is! Sophomore Year - 83. A Royal Marriage

I have ideas and opinions. I've read for years to figure things out. Do I know best? No. I write to work things out in a plausible situation. This is how I see things. You see things your way. You aren't wrong and neither am I. I was shown a lot of the Catholic Church by Daniel. I love you, Daniel.

A Royal Marriage

 

A judge was coming to conduct the marriage. I wondered why one of the priests wasn't. They weren't breaking a commandment or law...wait a minute. Yes, they did. One of the no-nos was about adultery and Helga was carrying the result of that. Peter and I came into our room.

Why is a judge performing the marriage?” I asked as we sat on the couch.

Probably because Olek won't confess," Peter answered. "I know Olek." He chuckled a little with a sharp edge on the laugh. "I also know the Church's official stance on things. Except for you and me, all sin is forgiven. Yours and mine can be, too. If we confess it is a sin and quit doing it. Olek will have to do that as well. And Helga, but they don't see what they did was a sin.”

The priest doesn't have to be told.” I suggested, “She's not showing.”

Peter shook his head, “Olek won't do that. That's hypocritical.”

I nodded grinning, “I see.”

I don't know what the church you went to did,” Peter explained smiling, “but to marry here in the Church they must be cleansed. Both need to confess to starting off clean.” He looked at me a bit concerned, “You don't think they did anything wrong, do you?”

"I sure can't throw any stones," I snorted. "The majority of people can't either, straight or gay.” I shrugged. “He didn't just use her and then discard her. What were Olek's goals with Helga?”

Peter now looked a bit dazzled by the question. “I...assume so he wouldn't be alone.”

Were they wrong to do what they did?” I shook my head. “They did what was Human. Using the Bible, yes it was. The Bible is the best example of man's sinful depth. It has stories of murder, sex, and incest. It makes The Young and The Restless, Days of Our Lives, Dynasty, Falcon Crest, Dallas, and Knots Landing pale in comparison. You know about Lot, right?”

He escaped Sodom's destruction.”

I nodded, “And his wife was punished for her doing what God said not to. She was turned to salt when she looked back.”

Peter smiled, “I did pay a little attention in Sunday School.”

Then,” I said, “you know what his two daughters did.”

Not that much attention,” Peter said.

They plotted,” I said. “They got him drunk and for two nights they had sex with him. Each had boys.”

Peter's eyes grew again in shock, “He was their father! He was the two boys’ father and grandfather!?”

Yep!”

How did they come out without two heads or something!?” Peter balked.

You'll have to ask someone else that question,” I shrugged. “There's murder and adultery all over the Bible.”

Peter nodded, “You found all this interesting, so you remember it.”

I was riveted!” I said. “A man, who has an affair with the wife whose husband is away, gets her pregnant, tries and fails to get the husband to sleep with his wife to cover it up, and orders the poor man killed as punishment for not sleeping with her!”

Peter's mouth dropped open, "Who did that!?

King David,” I said, “All because he saw Bathsheba taking a bath on the roof of her home.” I saw his eyes look away as he absorbed it. “I can show you in black and white. It's in the Old Testament...”

Peter shook his head, “I believe you, but I've never heard about that.” He nodded, “I knew about the bath. They only use it occasionally as a warning to show what happens with the sin of lust.”

That's not surprising,” I chuckled. “Most of the churches that came from the Catholic Church don't. It's all about a loving God, of peace and keeping the calm. Lessons about God's anger and vengeance are only used to drive home a point. Like the sin of homosexuality.” I pulled Peter back and brought his face to look at me. “It wasn't told to me in my church either.” I sighed, “When Grandpa died Mom and Grandma thought I could use a moral compass and encouraged me to go to a youth group. They weren't in any way affiliated with the Catholic Church or the others. They were Presbyterian.”

Presbyterian?” Peter's face scrunched a little, “But they're...”

"Some of the best-learned students of anything biblical,” I answered quickly. “When they studied a book of the Bible, they studied a book; they dissect it. Putting all of the stories out and examined them fully and laid everything out for all to see.” I smiled.

They didn't try to make you one of them?” Peter asked.

No,” I chuckled again. “They showed the facts and let me decide. They examined it down to the original words and meanings in old Hebrew and Greek.” I looked around our room. “I still am not sure of their view on predestination. It’s hard to believe. All this was planned before I was even born? I'm no Saint.” I smiled again. “I believe God allows us to decide.”

Peter smiled back, “I don't know.” The sound of doubt was in his voice. “You were heading in the direction of medicine and switched to another. Our first class was in Economics. It was both our first class at Northeastern and in fifteen minutes, we were assigned to a project we had to do together.” He leaned in kissing me. “That was kind of miraculous. Who is to say it wasn’t a planned destiny?”

 

I rarely do this. I stood in our closet wondering what to wear. “It's not casual, but it's not formal either.”

Peter's voice came as he searched through his clothes, “Olek said don't even put on a suit.” Peter was right, the clothes just…seemed to reproduce.

Would it be so terrible if someone figures it out?” I asked. “The judge knows and all of us know...”

Peter snorted, “Runaway rumors get distorted. You know that.”

I gave a grudging nod, “I suppose.” I turned to Peter, “But in his office!?” I held up my hand as Peter was about to explain. “I know. It's just to cover them legally. I understand, but...” I waved at the sun shining in the small windows, “it's beautiful out!”

It's their marriage,” Peter shrugged.

I grimaced, "I don't recall anyone asking us about ours!" I growled. "No, it was stand here, say this, bow here and do that…”

Peter's smile grew, “He is king.”

Yeah,” It was all I could say. “That's right.”

 

Dressed nicely, but not too nice wasn't easy. We did it and went down to Olek's office. He was speaking with a man about fifty. Gray streaked through his dark hair and concentrated at his temples. I knew many Makarovians now, but this one I knew from attending Peter's and my wedding.

Olek looked up and smiled, “Peter, Eric, this is Justice Avel Kushnir.”

The man smiled and bowed to us, “Your Highness.”

"He is on the Council of Judges for Makarovia," Olek said. "He keeps things running when I’m not here. He and the other judges are me.”

The man looked at Olek surprised, “Oh, no!” He said quickly. “No one could do what you've done. I know Makarovian Law. We can make adjustments and make amendments to the law, but you cover so much! Foreign policy with both friendly countries and enemies, you meet with the leaders of them. You have to know about uranium and mining, international business and start improvements underground. You have your hand in just about everything. Few men could do that.”

Yes, he really said that, but it was said with such sincerity. It wasn't just to win points with Olek or talk him into anything. He knew how hard Olek's job was. He meant it.

It occurred to me. “How did you get your education on the Law in Makarovia? There are no universities here."

He chuckled, "After the Soviets cleared out in 1991, Kyiv Mohyal became the greatest school of law in Ukraine. I passed a few tests and won a scholarship." He shrugged and went on. "I worked and got my undergraduate degree and went to Law School. Makarovian Law is there. I just had to learn them."

You came back,” Peter marveled. “Many Makarovians don't.”

Mr. Kushnir nodded and smiled slyly, “I couldn't marry my husband there.” He chuckled. “We met in school there.”

Okay. I was surprised, but I shouldn't have been. You turn a corner and run into another couple in a same-sex relationship. Almost half of Makarovia's population was homosexual. Remember? It wasn’t fair, but most were men. I often forgot! But it made sense! There were some educated people in Makarovia, but they were few. Almost all of those were outcasts in other neighboring countries.

I stuck my hand out to him, “Their loss is our gain.”

 

I understood using Olek's office. It was just large enough for everyone. Olek, Mr. Kushnir, Yuri, Boris, Peter, and I were waiting. It was telling that none of the women were here at the moment. Mario entered, without Mom. Helga didn't mention bridesmaids or anything. Seeing Mario here, I wondered if this was going to be in English. Mario was a witness, too. Could he be a witness to this if he didn't know what was being said?

This marriage will be in English,” Olek said, “Is everyone okay with that?”

I narrowed an eye at Olek, “I'm fine with the English part.” I muttered, “but can everyone in this family read my mind now?”

Olek's eyes widened, “Read your mind?”

Peter chuckled pulling me close to him, “He said I was doing that on the Duchess.”

I think something and he would voice it,” I explained. “And I hadn't said a thing. What do you call that? Now, you're doing it.”

Olek laughed, “Do I say I'm sorry?”

Before I could answer, the office door opened. Helga entered with Mom and Grandma behind her.

Just a marriage? Maybe, but Helga had her hair arranged a little more elaborately but still long. There was no gown, but a nice dress she probably wouldn't wear to work. Mom looked...like Mom. She was dressed up as she always was. Grandma was, too. Just a marriage. Whoever heard of that? Even the day felt different to me and it should. Yes, I was a romantic. When two people meet and there is this connection, I loved it! They couldn't help it. It wasn't their fault they were straight. (I had to put that in.)

Avel Kushnir smiled and looked a little uncertain. “I was told simply legally marry the two of you.” He squinted at Olek, “Are you sure about that?” He looked at Helga. “Is this what you both want?”

Olek looked at Helga and they both were having difficulty answering the question.

Mom smiled, "I'd say that means they don't want it to be just a marriage today.”

There will be a more elaborate wedding later,” Olek said.

I said it before,” I said, “today your status changes. Forever!”

Peter nodded in agreement, “There should be more than just signatures on paper.”

Fine,” Olek relented. “What do we do?”

Face the fireplace,” Mom instructed Olek and Helga. She took Mr. Kushnir by the shoulders and literally walked him to face Olek and Helga with his back to the fireplace. She looked at Olek, “You said you waited for Peter to come back. Is he going to be your Best Man?”

I really hadn't spoken to them about it,” Olek grinned, “I was hoping he and Eric would both do it at the wedding. Can't I have Best Men or Best Couple?”

Yuri laughed, "You're the king. Sure you can!"

Olek turned to us, “Will you?”

Peter smiled back, “It would be an honor.”

Olek hugged us both and he shook a scolding finger at me, “And when you sign as a witness on the marriage license; remember, you're an Ivanov now.”

I wondered why he said that only a second. Peter looked shocked and my eyes widened in shock, “I didn't even tell Peter! Who told you about that?” I demanded as I tried to remember who was with me at the time. “We were in Malta in the village of Sweethaven.” I quickly said. “Popeye's Village? Peter was with Luke and…a little boy about eight ran up to me and asked for an autograph. I did it, but I had a lapse! I signed the wrong name. It happened once. So, I signed it again.” The others were laughing. “Once! How did you find out?”

Alec told Mikell, who told Yuri, who told me,” Olek chuckled.

I huffed, “If I didn't like the guy, I'd kill him.”

Can we continue?” Mom asked me, but she was amused, too.

I looked at Helga and the judge, "Yes. Sorry." Mom positioned both Peter and me at Olek's side.

Mom looked at Helga and asked, "Is there someone you plan to have as a Maid of Honor or Matron of Honor?"

Helga shook her head and said sadly, “No. I wanted my father to walk me down the aisle. He died. My mother became a recluse and a drunk. I don't know where my sister is...”

I told you, once it's announced,” Olek said. “She’ll surface.”

I can tell you where my ex-husband Kent is,” she laughed with little humor. “I can tell you where Marg, his mother is. My mother was pretty destroyed when my father died. They aren't really people you want here.”

Mom smiled, “If you decide later, we can include whoever you like.”

Would you do it?” Helga asked and then looked back at Grandma, “You, Alla, and Katrina?”

Mom nodded and Grandma said, “Absolutely.”

Helga looked at an amused Olek. “You have two, why shouldn't I?” She asked a little indignant.

 

The circumstances of this marriage aren't that unique," Avel Kushnir said with a smile. "When two people meet and there's a special connection, they feel it." He chuckled, "Well, my personal experience was, one felt it more and has to convince the other it's there." He didn't elaborate about which one had to convince whom. "It becomes so obvious, that other people can see it, too. I refer to Prince Pedro and Prince Eric. Now, it is with His Majesty King Olek and the lovely Lady Helga.”

She would be a Lady after the marriage is announced and after the Proposal. That's Lady as in Lords and Ladies. Olek was very much a Grand Lord.

Makarovia views the world differently than any country I ever heard of." He chuckled again, "We see the many sides of Humans and see love as love. Two adults want to join their lives to make one life for the two of them to share is not discouraged or met with hate. I know several current Monarchs have children outside of their marriage. The child of Olek and Helga is not something to be ashamed of and will never be." He smiled at Olek, "A king taking ownership of the situation is unique. You don’t think the child was an error or a mistake." Mr. Kushnir looked momentarily uncomfortable. “I'm required to ask. Is there any reason this marriage should not occur?” He looked at all of us and then smiled again, “Now that that's done. Do you King Olek Ivanov take Helga Renee Schneider as your wife? Taking her in sickness and health, in wealth or poor and only her until death parts you?”

I do,” Olek said.

I knew she probably had a middle name and now, I knew what it was!

Do you, Helga Renee Schneider take Olek Ivanov to be your husband? Taking him in sickness and health, in wealth or poor and only him until death parts you?”

Neither Olek or Peter had middle names. That was odd in royal families. I knew of a prince that had so many, his future wife confused the order of those names when taking her vows. It's now a famous blunder received by the world as humorous.

"I do," Helga said.

Avel looked at Olek and Helga, “Are there any words? Your Majesty?”

"Just this," Olek said and looked at her. "I was so caught up in what I had to do, I lost the ability to live. I was never alone, but so lonely. You came and added balance to my life. I love you. I want you to be that balance for me from now on.”

Helga had to wipe her face of the tears that were coming. She laughed quickly and said, “I devoted my life to what I needed to do. I felt I had to get people to see me, but you did. From the first meeting, you saw me and listened. Despite those things I did to hide, you saw me. You helped me go from an Engineer to a woman. I love you, Olek.”

Olek was about to kiss her, but Avel stopped him, "If you wait a minute, you'll be kissing your wife." He chuckled and looked at us. “Rings?”

In some cases in the past, men didn't wear wedding rings often. Women did. (When they could get them and afford rings.) I didn't see that as fair. She wears a symbol of belonging to him. Why shouldn't he wear a symbol of belonging to her? The excuse men used about losing it or it getting caught when he was working really didn't settle things for me. I was pleased when Helga held up a simple gold band. Olek wore the ring with the Makarovian Crest on his right hand and a watch. That’s it. Olek held up a smaller one for Helga's smaller hand and finger. Did she carry it in? I didn't see Olek reach in a pocket. Granddad said, if you really want to know, you'll remember and ask. It must not have mattered because I still don't know.

"Place the ring on her finger and say, I do this as your husband," Avel instructed.

Olek did. “I do this as your husband.”

Avel nodded, “My Lady, please do the same for His Majesty.”

Helga did it, too. “I do this as your wife.”

Avel bounced, “In front of these witnesses and by my authority to do this in Makarovia. You two are married.” He grinned at Olek, “Now, you may kiss your wife!”

Olek pulled her toward him and gave a pretty smoldering kiss to Helga.

I once said I was jealous of Helga. I admitted it, remember? I was a little in love with Olek. He was a handsome man, strong and he was a King. Who wouldn't be? I will also admit I'd never leave Peter and you know that. Helga treated Olek so well! She didn't cower because he was a king but loved and supported him as a man. She loved Olek. Now, I saw them as almost perfect. Just behind Peter and me, of course!

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 18
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

9 hours ago, R. Eric said:

You are correct again.  It is fornication.  The groups I was with put them both in one category.  Sex outside of marriage.  We all knew, without the ring don't do the thing.

Those groups toss same-sex relationships into that category too. And then most of them refuse to recognize Same-Sex Marriage. So as far as they’re concerned, no matter what we do, we’re sinning. Ironically enough, my being unwillingly celibate means I’m less sinful in their eyes than Eric & Peter!

An awful lot of judgement from people who were specifically commanded not to judge others (‘Judge not lest ye be judged.’). See I can quote the KJV just like Satan!
;–)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Good analysis of the biblical verses, R. Eric.  I am often mentally chuckling or snorting at the effort people put forth to justify what they want to do by using and/or twisting the Judao-Christian scriptures to "prove" something. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Wesley8890 said:

That reminds me of a quote from Robin Hood, Men in Tights: before you do it, you must go through it

I just woke up and see this.  You shouldn't be surprised I know exactly what you said and where it is in the movie.   That obese German nurse with that accent.  "Before you do it, you must go through it, or else I blew it."   I don't know a Mel Brooks movie I haven't loved!  He's a genius!  :heart:

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Outstanding chapter! Olek and Helga are married! Yippee! The legal wedding performed by a member of the judicial panel, who also performed Peter and Eric’s wedding. The story that the judge told of how he met his husband while studying abroad, ensuring their return to Makarovia where they could legally marry. His feelings about the King and how hard he’s worked for all of the citizens was truly touching. His respect for the relationship between Olek and Helga and the pregnancy is what makes Makarovia such an inspirational place. Prior to the ceremony he spoke of the couple as King Olek and Lady Helga. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Fantastic chapter Olek and Helga are legally married so the baby is now the legal heir the monarchy is safe👍❤️👑👑😀👩‍❤️‍👨

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..