Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,023 Words
  • 2,733 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Makarovia! Yes, I Know Where That is! Sophomore Year - 41. Chapter 41

It seems like a little thing, but if there's no WiFi, no Makarovia, Daniel.

The Wedding

 

 

The reception was now in full swing. A lot of people wanted to dance with Peter and me. Women and men. I now knew what Olek meant about the weight of the crown. After a few hours I began to get a dull headache. Olek took his crown off, I forgot about mine. It was a thin thing, but gold weighs. I needed to put some Excedrin or something out for me next time. Hell, Aspirin would be good.

Then, out came the cakes. Yes, cakes, with an “S.” They stood as tall as King Felipe! There were two. Someone made eight large round bottoms, then added as it went up. White icing with what looked like wide red ribbons wrapping around them with red roses where the ribbons were elegantly tied. But there was no real ribbon or real roses, but icing! By the third level it was wrapped in bouquets of roses. All in icing. Someone had a real talent! The whole thing could be eaten! There was humor with them. It was Peter and me, of course there would be humor. On one cake the single groom was waving the other on the other cake to come over to his cake to join him.

“Did I miss something these last few days?” I asked Peter. “I never saw or smelled them doing,” I waved at the cakes, “...all this.”

Peter nodded and shrugged lightly. “We've been busy.”

“We can't cut this!” I objected gesturing to the cakes. “We'll be destroying a work of art!”

Peter glanced around as the guests were waiting for something. “We sort of have to.”

I held him off as photographers clicked away to capture the magic of the cakes. I didn't want to forget this. Then I noticed the first cake was rising slowly. “What the Hell?” It could never reach the ceiling of the ballroom, but it was rising.

Boris chuckled coming over. “It's on an electric lift. It won't topple over.” He presented Peter and me with knives and that flat...whatever to pull the slice out to put on a plate. “Your first task together as a married couple.” He then brought out a plate to put it on.

“Don't do it.” I growled at Peter.

“I haven't done anything!”

“You were thinking it.” I said. “Or I'll go on the honeymoon without you.”

“Spoilsport.” Peter said in English.

I laughed at that. “Where did you learn that?” I asked. “I know I've never used it. Usually, I just speak Makarovian with you. Was it the same source that taught you about dickhead?”

“Yes,” Peter admitted with a slow growing grin. “I like Chet.”

“You and me both.”

We cut the cake, which hurt me. This was a mixture cake. Part was chocolate under the frosting and part was yellow french vanilla. Peter looked as if he was going to do it anyway, but he didn't smear it in my face. After a slice or two, someone else took the task over. Several someones were serving cake or we'd be there until the next day.

The Generals were here with their wives.

“Such as lovely wedding!” Eloise Hammond commented.

“And a very elegant party.” Edmond added.

“You need to thank Boris for that.” Peter chuckled. “We take him out of Boston to spare him work and he does it here.”

I nodded. “He knows what he's doing. He graduated from the Cordon Bleu.”

“He was the tall man dancing during that song It's Raining Men, right?” David worked it out in his mind. “And he's married to the guy next to him I know is Yuri. The head of your security.”

“That's them!” I said happily. “Two great human beings.”

Helen waited for something, but wasn't getting it. She backhanded him in the shoulder. “Oh, David.” She rolled her eyes.

David looked helpless. “I can't help it! I was surprised.”

I knew he was still working on his acceptance of homosexuals, gay men in particular. He really was. I grinned at him. “What surprised you with them?”

David was being honest. “Boris I couldn't tell either way, but Yuri!?” He paused embarrassed.

I nodded. “Yuri what?”

“I've sat across a desk with him. He's a tough man. Hard as nails.” David explained. “Some of what he told me about for training, he did it on his own.” David was turning pink. “For fun!”

“And a gay man couldn't possibly do that to challenge himself.” I nodded.

“He gave me nothing,” David justified. “No swish when he walks, no lisp or wimpy handshake...”

Helen's gaze hardened. “Keep digging. That hole you're in should almost be to China by now.”

“Please, don't be too hard on him, Helen.” Peter said.

I nodded. “We prefer honest questions instead of stewing on something they don't understand and imagining the worse.” I said. “And he is honest. Our behaviors are telling how to react to what we see. However, there are studies done with higher functioning animals. There is no gay gene. I don't believe it exists. It's during gestation we don't get what we need. That causes the fetus' brain to develop or not develop. A lot of behaviors are learned, too. We emulate those that attract us sometimes. There aren't that many in Makarovia striving to be fabulous.” I'm as bad as others who stereotype people and said that in what I considered to be a gay way.because they've not seen it.” I waved David off. “Human sexuality is far too complex to pigeonhole it to one cause. Therefore, neither can behaviors. Yuri is tough guy, who loves Boris.” I shrugged. “Simple.”

“Are you saying Eric or I do...what you just said?” Peter asked with a growing smile.

“What!?” David balked. “No! I accepted you as exceptions to the rule.”

Peter nodded. “I see. Well, Yuri and Boris are, too. And Drew and Wayne...”

“Cut me some slack here.” David was now much pinker. “I'm relearning everything!”

“You got it.” I said.

We saw Helga return to the table. She was here for the wedding, but after that had vanished a few times. Not dancing and just picked at her meal. Still, gorgeous, but pale. She leaned in and spoke quietly with Olek.

“Are you alright, Helga?” Mom asked her.

Helga smiled. “I'm fine.” She shook her head. “I must have been around someone sick. I've been ill these past few days.” She looked up. “Übel?” She asked Olek.

“Nauseous.” Olek provided for her.

“Any more predicable time than others?” Grandmother asked.

Helga looked up suddenly. “It can't be that. I'm on birth control pills.” She shook her head. “I take them everyday.”

Mom chuckled. “That doesn't mean your not. The pills are not one hundred percent to prevent pregnancy. My...” she did the air quotes with her fingers, “morning sickness I got morning, noon and night with that one.” She pointed at Peter. “Are their scents you normally don't bother with?”

Helga nodded. “Olek wears this cologne I love on him. This morning it made me sick.”

Mom nodded. “Feeling unusually tired?”

Helga's eyes widened. “I can't be pregnant.” She waved between Olek and herself. “We're not married!”

Mom laughed. “If you are, he or she doesn't care about that.”

“Before we panic,” Peter whispered to the table, “can we find out if Helga is or isn't first?”

“That would be logical.” Olek muttered.

Helga looked at Olek in horror. “I don't care what you say. I can't be an unwed mother! Not and be Queen.”

Olek shrugged. “If you are pregnant, that's what you'll be.” He took her hand. “You couldn't have done it alone. I'll be there.”

Helga gave one of those that's so sweet looks. Then she began to cry.

I chuckled. “Her hormones are doing this.” I nodded. “She's pregnant.”

Peter grinned and said quietly. “Yea! We'll be uncles!”

“And we'll be gone!” I moaned.

Olek smiled. “I'll send the thumbs up if she is and down if she's not.” He shrugged. “You'll be back at school if she is.”

“Toys!” Peter grinned as he hissed not wanting to be overheard.

 

It was soon that Boris, Yuri, Peter and I were to leave. Boris and Yuri were flying on to Sicily to take the boat to Mario's private island. But there was one more thing.

Peter stood looking at our guests. “There is a tradition where the bride tosses her bouquet into a crowd of unmarried woman to see who will be next.” He reached in his coat pocket and pulled out a foot long strand of gold rope. I had the same. “Now, we were married carrying these. It had all that Ivanov magic in this.” He shrugged. “We had the generational towel that we were married on.” He and I tied them together. “Now, it's a love knot.”

“And I know who to give it to.” I said taking the knot and walked right over to Olek and handed it to him. “You're next.”

Olek only looked surprised a second, but nodded. “I guess I am.”

 

If Helga was pregnant, it was about damned time. We were heralded down to the ground floor were an SUV was going to take us to the little airport in Stryia. Our luggage had been packed already and loaded on the plane.

“It will be fine, Olek,” Mom said to him. “We'll just have to move this along.” She turned to Helga. “We'll get one of those home pregnancy kits and we'll go from there.”

“Where does someone from here go for something like this?” I asked. I had no idea.

“There drug stores.” Peter defended. “If you don't want people to start guessing, have Helen get one in Skoal. She'll have an excuse to visit.”

“And scare David to death.” I chuckled.

“You love to torture that man.” Peter said.

“I do.” I readily agreed. “He gives it right back.” I looked at Olek and Helga. “If you are pregnant, we'll be just as honest with your news as you did with Peter and me. We'll deal with it. There are plenty of children born to kings and queens who aren't married. Monaco comes to mind first. Prince Albert II, Juan Carlos of Spain, some with eight children out of wedlock, or more!” I turned to Helga. “In fact, you should speak with the Queen of Spain. She's Felipe's first wife, but her second husband. And she was working as a CNN News Anchor. She might choices to offer.”

Helga nodded rubbing her stomach. “I'll be happy just knowing. Like you said, we'll go from there.” She grimaced. “If I can just stop this sick feeling.”

“Saltines.” Mom told her. “And a lukewarm ginger ale. It worked for me.”

“Eric, Peter!” A voice called from behind us.

Turning, we watch Anderson Cooper jog up. “I wanted to congratulate you and speak before you leave. I saw the whole thing. It was beautiful. I'm leaving to go back to the United States tomorrow.”

“It was great having you here, Andy.” I held my hand up to stop him. “I know you are a busy man. But maybe email or call? Even drop by unannounced. It will be wonderful to see you again.”

“Count on it.” Anderson said firmly.

I looked at the family around me. “You're witnesses! He said he would.”

“Again, congratulations you two.” He hugged me and the Peter. “Oh, do you have a private line?”

Peter nodded. “Sure.” He gave Anderson the number.

Anderson dialed quickly. “And the same goes for you. If you're in New York, we'll definitely have to get together.” He said and trotted back.

“Hold it!” Wayne said. “I know who that man is.” He thumbed over his shoulder. “He's famous! I've seen CNN. This friendship isn't because of you.” He pointed to Peter, “but because of you.” He pointed at me.

“Yep.” I answered. “His mother and my grandmother were friends.”

“When he was there last night, I just...” Drew began.

“My grandmother is famous, too.”

“Yes, but...” Drew shook his head. “Aw, forget it.”

Boris and Yuri came up quickly. “We're changing on the plane?” Boris asked.

“Unless you want to show up on the island like that.” I waved at his tuxedo. “Did you bring sunscreen?” Boris had pretty fair skin. “You'll need it.”

 

The SUV pulled out of the Castle Courtyard and made it's way down a road crowded on either side of the street. They waved and cheered which we returned. Waving the little flags of Makarovia. Men, women and children cheered us all the way to the little airport.

“Oh!” Olek said out of the blue. “You might need this.”

He handed me a little red book. I grinned at it. “A Makarovian Passport?” Opening it, I saw Eric Richards Ivanov.

“And this.” He handed me a another card. “This is a diplomatic identification and immunity. You are now a citizen of Makarovia.” He rushed on. “You're still an American Citizen, but a Makarovian Citizen, too.”

I looked at the photograph of me on both. “I don't remember sitting for this photo.”

“But you did when we all had our website photos redone.” Mom said. “And as of today, your on it, too.”

Peter smiled leaning closer. “You have been October the year before, but you're one of us now.”

Grandmother smiled. “I was concerned for him.” She shrugged. “We were all we had left in the world. Now, he's got all of you. I'm grateful.”

 

We were about to board the plane. I was aware of the various cameras and onlookers around as we said a simple see you later kind of good bye.

“Yuri has the nondisclosure documents for the crew of the yacht.” Olek said. “They all must sign them.”

Peter nodded. “I don't suppose Eric or I could do that.”

Olek shook his head. “Again, we owe Mario Basso for this.” He turned to the distinguished Italian. “It was a last minute change. With that travel service who leaked who was coming and when, I didn't feel safe with you two going to Tel Aviv. Mario asked a friend for the use of his yacht.” He smiled patting Mario on the arm. “Having you to deliver the contracts would be telling them it's you.” He came closer to us and shook a parental finger in both our faces. “You don't even tell them until after those papers are signed and filed. You stay in the hotel suite until they are. Understood?”

Peter chuckled bringing Olek in for a hug. “Yes, Dad.”

“And, of course, you know where and how to do that.” I said to Yuri.

Yuri grinned. “I do.”

“Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen and Hamilton are the best legal minds in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.” Mario said. “I've worked with them for years. A Nicolo Cuomo will take the signed documents and they will be filed. I've dealt with him on many occasions.”

I stood back a little from Mario as I knew the fact that I was really impressed showed on my face. “Damn, Mario.” I marveled and reached out. “Can I touch you?” I was only joking. A little. I did touch him. The man had clout! I turned to Mom. “You should have brought him around sooner!”

Mario chuckled. “She did when we were ready. To do business in Italy or anywhere, you have to know how to play the game. I do.”

Peter nodded. “I knew I liked you.” He stopped me knowing what I'd say something. “After the shock of my mother was dating, I did.”

“They are the top law firm of the European 500.” Olek explained. “Just the name will strike fear in the hearts of Presidents, Prime Ministers and Legislature of all of Europe.” He waved as six men got out of another SUV with luggage. “Unfortunately, you need to have security. These men will go with you, but will stay out of the way onboard. If you tour around, at least four need to go with you.” Olek held his hands up to stop us. Peter wasn't the only one that knew what would be objected to. “They will be as unobtrusive as possible.” He promised.

“Sure, Olek.” I hugged him and Helga. “I look forward to finding out either way about you two. I know it will be good.”

Peter pushed Boris toward the plane. “Come on, Boris. Time to start relaxing.”

“And we want to see tans!” I added as I pulled Yuri with me. “We'll check!” I put my arm next to his. “We all need this.”

 

Taking off into the evening sky, I felt like I frequently did. No, it wasn't bad, but Peter and I were now married. I was a prince now. It's stupid, I know, but I was feeling a little...let down. All the drama and anticipation for this day was done. Over. That wonderful adrenaline rush was through. I needed to refocus on the next big event. Was Helga pregnant? Her concerns about being an unwed mother had merit. A woman carrying the future generation of royalty was not really wanted. Helga was no slut. She and Olek loved each other. I detested the idea of a cover up. What did they do? Olek and Helga were human and did what humans do. It wasn't modern morality. It was human morality. It had gone on from the beginning of mankind. It would be fine.

I glanced over to see Peter looking at a laptop screen. I saw the header. Venice. He was looking forward to this. I inwardly chuckled as I reached over taking his hand.

“I may have said it a few times today, but...” I began. “I love you, Peter.”

That high wattage smile was instantly on his face. “I know.” He held up his left hand and wiggled his left ring finger and the gold band on it. “Here's the proof.” He kissed me. “I love you, Eric.”

I did the same with my left hand. “I know.”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 25
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

They finally got through the wedding and reception.
;–)

All those playboy princes used to own Range Rovers, but now they have plenty of choices. They can pretend to be of the people and buy a Volkswagen or Volvo SUV, or they can show off their wealth with a Bentley, Lamborghini, or Rolls-Royce truck. Eric can even get a new Ranger if he wants to show off his country roots.
;–)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Eric can even get a new Ranger if he wants to show off his country roots.

Bronco.    Ford Rangers are fine.   I'm a Bronco man!    Grrr!  (I flex and growl.)   :yes:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

The wedding, coronation and reception are now over now it’s off on the honeymoon for the newlyweds as well as Boris & Yuri. Helga may be pregnant but she’s worried about the fact that she would be an unwed mother, she was told that they would deal with it either way she won’t be alone in raising the baby. Olek told her that if she is pregnant she didn’t get that way alone and she would have lots of help and support from everyone. Peter and Eric are excited about the possibility of becoming uncles of Helga and Olek’s child. This might be the best time to announce the proposal for Olek & Helga so that they can get married next year. Can’t wait to read about their time in Venice and Greece, fantastic chapter as well.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Outstanding chapter! The wedding, coronation and reception are completed. Now the honeymoon begins for the newlyweds in Italy. Helga is suffering morning sickness and could be pregnant. Olek is really happy and Helga Is worried about being an unwed mother. I’m certain that the people of Makarovia will be so excited about the pregnancy and wedding that the order won’t be an issue. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Great chapter. The boys are married Eric is Crowned Prince off Makarovia.

Than that bombing from that Islamic country. That’s criminal.

Great reception Kings and Queens of different European kingdoms where there.And on top Helga maybe pregnant????

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..