Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,291 Words
  • 3,488 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Makarovia! Yes, I Know Where That is! Sophomore Year - 29. Chapter 29

Surprise!!!  ;)
 Don't get mad.   I had a block!   My muse wasn't sending me anything.   So, I did what Daniel suggested.   I wrote something else.  I still write.

We were greeted by Boris who came in smiling as he was wiping his hands with a small kitchen towel. He looked at each of our guests.

“Boris,” I said happily. “You know Grandma.”

Boris smiled even bigger as my grandmother hugged him. “Katrina, it's wonderful to see you again.”

I motioned to Drew and Wayne, “This is our good, good friends Andrew Humphries and his husband Wayne Jenkins.” I looked at the two. “This is our dear friend Boris Petrov.”

Peter patted Boris on the arm. “This is a man of many talents. He keeps this house spic and span and is a fabulous chef.”

Boris nodded and shook their hands. “It's a pleasure to meet you. If there is anything you need, just ask.”

The front door opened and Yuri strode in.

“And this is Boris' husband, Yuri Orlov.” I said. “He's in charge of security here and just doesn't stop!” I introduced Drew and Wayne again.

“Welcome.” Yuri greeted. “I've heard good things about you two.” He smiled as three security agents came in. “These gentlemen are part of the security enforcers. The men outside are usually Americans. Inside are Makarovians, but there shouldn't be a language problem.” He turned to them. “Thank you for volunteering to help with their luggage.”

“No problem, Sir.” One said and smiled. Usually they had no emotions on their faces at all. It almost looked odd.

“We're helping, too.” Peter informed them.

Grandmother had more than Drew or Wayne, but she was going with us to England. She needed more. Drew and Wayne were going home.

“Let's get you settled.” Boris suggested. “You, Katrina, I was putting in the room you had last time, if that's alright.”

Grandmother nodded. “Of course.”

“I was putting you two just down from Peter's and Eric's room.” Boris said going and picking grandmother's garment bag. “If you need anything cleaned or pressed, I'll take care of it.” He said to all of them.

I bumped Boris in the shoulder. “Boris is an angel here. He keeps us fed, clothed and sane.”

Peter nodded. “We consider Boris and Yuri family.”

 

We took grandmother to her room first. She looked a bit tired, but I hoped that was just travel fatigue. Getting to the airport with her luggage and flying from the gulf in Texas was a bit longer than flying from North Carolina. She was now in her mid-seventies. She didn't really show that many signs of aging. Still slender and stood straight and proud. However, she sold the house to move to Texas where it was warmer. It was getting too hard for her to keep up and she was very tidy. She sold her dance studio. I hoped she lived another decade or two. She still had that precise walk she had always had. Her claim was she needed to change clothes and unwind. I didn't object.

We got Drew and Wayne a room near ours. After their things were brought to their room, they were impressed. We showed them our room.

Drew shook his head giving us a sad look. “Oh, how you two must suffer here.”

Peter looked at him puzzled and asked me quietly in Makarovian. “That was a joke, right?”

“Yes.” I chuckled. “Sarcasm.” I said quietly back.

“Don't be obnoxious, Drew.” Wayne chastised and turned to me. “Sorry, this beautiful.”

I chuckled and waved Wayne off. “We love him. He is who he is.” I shrugged. “He's a very secure and very happy man.”

Peter smiled more then. “We want to show you around,” he held a hand up, “and we will. Be aware there will be security with us when we do.” He looked at me. “We could show them Jocks.”

I nodded. “We could...”

Drew turned quickly. “Jocks? I know you're not talking about athletic support.”

Peter laughed. “No, it's a night club near here.” He waved in the general direction. “Eric defended my honor there. I had never been to one and got...” he looked at me, “what is мацав in English?”

I knew it meant groped, but I said. “He was felt up! I had gone to the bathroom and came back as some guy was groping his crotch!”

Peter grinned. “Eric gave him a bloody nose.”

“Did he know who you were, Peter!?” Wayne balked questioning. No one would dare to do that. Especially a member of royalty! They'd either be killed or serving time in prison.

I shook my head. “He knew us as Eric and Peter from Northeastern where he also went. It was the day before it hit the news about him being a prince.”

Drew nodded, agreeing wholehearted with what I said. “Good for you!”

I looked at Peter. “We'd better run it by Yuri before we do. He needs to organize our security escort.”

Drew looked at me with a scrunched smile, one eye narrowed. “And that guys is gay.” He stated to confirm, not asking. “And married to your butler?”

Peter nodded. “Yep.”

“They immigrated from Russia to Makarovia after the government collapsed.” I said. “They have been married ever since.”

“And you're getting married in just a few weeks!” Wayne said excited. “And then crowned right after that.”

“Yeah,” I said quietly feeling...I wasn't sure what I felt. I wanted this marriage. It wasn't cold feet or anything like that. I had taken on duties with no real doubts. I enjoyed what I did. Was it the responsibility I was feeling? I thought I had taken them on along with the drive to do a good job.

Peter saw this. “Excuse us a second.” He took my hand and led me into the study. “What's going on?” He asked softly in Makarovian. “I don't know this expression.”

I gave him a shrugging nod. “I don't know. I guess the reality that it's really happening just hit me.” I shrugged and saw worry in his eyes, so I hurriedly said. “No, no. We are getting married. I say again, I'm not scared off. I'm not leaving you. Ever.” I assured kissing him gently. Sighing I went on. “I guess, for some reason, I just felt the weight of all this. That's all.”

Peter nodded and smiled softly. “You've been terrific from the beginning. Now, it's my turn to be there for you. I love you.”

I smiled kissing him again. “I know. I love you, too.”

Peter nodded rubbing his forehead against mine. “I know.”

 

It dawned on me that grandmother had been traveling a lot. She was fine, but the travel wore on me. It had to be hard on her. We had dinner, which was fantastic again. Tonight was Beef Stroganoff.

The time difference between England and our East Coast wasn't that off schedule, but I had no idea what Drew's and Wayne's bedtimes were or what they'd done right before they came. They said they were heading off to bed. I assumed they would sleep, but they were married and might want to do what married people do. Or should be doing, especially on vacation. Or as our British friends referred to it as going on a holiday.

Grandma was her usual delightful self, making jokes with all of us. It was after Drew and Wayne left, I touched Peter's arm. She was talking to Boris at the moment.

“You'll say I'm overreacting maybe,” I said softly. “Grandma has been traveling a lot recently.”

Peter nodded. “Okay.” He didn't get it yet.

“She flew here from Texas, she'll be flying with us to London, then flying back to Boston and then to Texas.” I said. “Then almost a month later doing it again to come here, fly to Makarovia.” I pointed at her. “She's seventy-four!”

Peter nodded as he understood now. “Does she have to go back to Texas? I mean, can't she stay here until we go to Makarovia? I know she has a life there, but can't she be gone a few months?”

I smiled at him. “I just wanted to ask you before I spoke to her.”

“She's your family, therefore mine.” He waved toward her. “So, go ahead. Ask.”

I grinned kissing him quickly. “I'm going.” I now heard what the two of them were talking about.

“...like no Stroganoff I've ever tasted.” Grandma was praising. “What did you do differently?”

“I really didn't change the ingredients, except added one.” Boris chuckled. “Saffron.”

Grandma's eyes widened. “Saffron? Isn't that a Middle Eastern spice? And expensive?”

Boris chuckled again. “Well, yes, but this is a special season we're going in. It's used in foods in Spain, Italy, Greece and India. It can be expensive if it's pure.” He looked up at me grinning. “Eric's marrying and becoming a prince. That calls for some special celebratory meals.” He patted my shoulder and then walked away to go to the kitchen.

Grandmother looked at me and smiled. “You have something to say to me.” She said matter-of-factually. “So, go ahead.”

I laughed. “You can read me as well as Peter can.”

“Sure.” Grandmother nodded. “I've had almost thirty years experience.”

“You're my only blood relative and I'm concerned.” I said shrugging. “Can't you stay until we go to Stryia?”

She nodded smiling more. “I will eventually go back to Surf Side Beach, but yes, this has been a lot of travel for me.” She placed her hand on mine. “I will need to get somethings. I was planning to do it here or in London,” She laughed and shrugged. “Perhaps both.”

I was pleased she was agreeing. “Sure. You can most certainly do that.” Of course, my curiosity was wanting to know. “What do you need? We'll help you get it.”

She got a very proud look on her face and said a superior, self-entitled tone in her voice. Pressing her fingers to her chest she said, “I am going to see my grandson marry a prince and then will be crowned as a prince.” It was out of fun and put on. Her eyes twinkled. “I think I should get a dress that's more appropriately formal.”

She was funny and we both laughed together.

Peter had heard it, too. “My mother would be proud to send you to her Couture. It wouldn't cost you a thing.”

Grandmother shook her head. “I appreciate that, but I got a tidy sum with the sale of the house in Asheville.” She smiled at me directly. “I'm leaving what's left to you, Eric. You won't need it. Donate it to something in Makarovia.”

“I can think of several causes that would benefit.” I said smiling.

 

We still had classes, but we were recording them to see later. Midterms and soon exams were coming up. Don was going to send the recordings to our emails on our computers. We could access them on any computer including the ones while in London. Yeah, right.

 

We did take Drew and Wayne around Boston. Grandmother went, too. Walking around casually wasn't really going to happen. We showed them where we dumped England's tea into the harbor. They weren't impressed by that. To be honest, Boston had a lot of information about Redcoats and revolution. It wasn't that the United States didn't like England now. We were allies during most subsequent conflicts. Hell, many people in United States descended from the British!

We could see Yuri's reaction about going to Jocks. He was apprehensive. He did not say no.

Taking twelve of our security, both from Makarovia and the USA, we went.

I got behind Yuri and whispered. “These gentlemen with us know what the place is.”

Yuri grinned. “Yes, the Makarovians will have no problem. I don't know about the Americans.”

Grandmother was going, too. It was the beginning of Spring and still would get chilly at night. We all dressed nicely, but casual. Grandmother looked elegant in her...not quite white sweater. Cream? She wore pants and had a shawl thing to wrap up in. They were different shades of cream. She looked great.

Yuri had called the owner and the mayor. The owner was thrilled having been told our history with Jocks. The mayor was like Yuri. He was apprehensive. It wasn't a weekend night, so the crowd would be less of a concern. With the midterms and exams coming, they students should be mostly studying. Yuri was on a radio or walkies-talkie...whatever... speaking quietly to someone. As we came down the road to Jocks, a police car got in front of us and one behind us. The mayor wasn't taking any chances. They didn't turn their lights on the top on until there was a car tried to cut in or was in the way. Three SUVs pulled in front of the club. A few guys were going in and turned to see when we arrived. We were in the “no parking” zone, but the police presence would keep us from getting a ticket or fine.

I turned to Drew and Wayne, “You'll love it here.”

The Bartender that had thrown Brad out that night before the news about Peter was known came out and approached our convoy. He was smiling very grandly, almost bouncing in excitement. Our security got out first making the Bartender/Owner back up a little.

Getting out Peter and I smiled at the man. He was still a huge man.

“Hi,” I greeted. “Remember us?”

The man laughed. “I never forgot you! The next morning like you said I should,” he pointed at Peter. “I find out who you were.”

“We came back,” I grinned as I glanced around us at the security and our British friends. “We brought friends!”

“I'm thrilled you did!” The man was going to approach us, but our security stood to block that.

I chuckled and touched Yuri. “This man's okay. He saved us from a fight that was about to happen.”

The man shook his head, “No, you pretty well dealt with Brad.” He stuck his hand out. “Keith Davis.”

Shaking it, I nodded and introduced the others, that weren't security.

Keith grinned. “Of course, people will know you were and are here.” His eyes averted us a second. “I confess, there are some posters and pictures of you two in there.” He thumbed behind himself at the club. “I hope you don't mind.”

“Why would we mind?” Peter asked in English. “You can even say we recommended Jocks.” He moved slightly forward like he would tell a secret and stage whispered. “You can even tell them you were my first.” Keith's eyes widened hearing that.

“He means this was his first night club.” I clarified. Peter knew what he said and just smiled knowing how it could be taken as I rolled my eyes.

“You'll endorse me!?”

“We're here. We're doing that.” I pointed out. “As you said. People will know we were here.”

 

We entered the club as music was pounding as it did last time. Many of the guys dancing stopped to see this large group of men and one woman come in. No one dared approach. Dim lighting, the pulsing strobes and colored lights that probed the dance floor...the dancers couldn't really see who we were.

Drew spoke up as our eyes adjusted. “I hope we don't plan to just stand around and watch.”

Peter smiled back. “No.” He glanced at Yuri who nodded slightly. Peter took my hand swinging me around. “Let's dance!”

Security watched us carefully as Peter and I began. Drew and Wayne joined us on the dance floor. I smiled as my grandmother asked Yuri to dance. What was he going to say? No? He was over the security here, but not alone doing that. Conceding her invitation they started dancing. Grandmother was older, but still danced well.

 

We danced several dances under the watchful eyes of our guards who had withdrawn, but stayed alert. No dark glasses now, but they had an emotionless expression. No one dared to try to pick up one of them.

 

We had a drink at the bar where I showed them where I had defended Peter's honor. The music was good and so were the drinks. This time it was Peter that had to excuse himself. He was followed by two of our security.

Drew came to stand beside me with his drink. Wayne was right by him. “This is great!” He had to speak loud to be heard over the music.

Wayne sipped his drink, but pointed at the wall behind the bar. “There you are.”

I looked at a blown up picture of us was center. It was the one from the White House in our tuxedos. It was a good picture. There were others of us taken at various parts of the University. Holding hands or walking with our arms around each other's waists. One of us kissing. Keith had a banner printed saying “Jock's Royal Customers.”

Drew grinned. “You two look great in that center picture.”

Wayne shook his head. “They look good in all the pictures. You can just see more in the center one.”

“I guess,” Peter said behind me as he approached. “I don't need to punch anyone?” He hugged me from behind putting his head next to mine.

Grandmother came over taking Peter's arm. “Come on, Your Highness. It's not every girl who gets to dance with a real prince.” Peter chuckled. She looked at me. “You're next.” And practically dragging Peter behind her.

The fact that she was still dancing pleased me. She had slept in and we didn't walk that much earlier, she had energy.

Drew grinned looking as grandmother began to dance with Peter. And pretty vigorously. “Wow,” he marveled. “My grandmother was not nearly as active before she died. And my grandmother was younger than Katrina!”

Wayne laughed. “I danced with her...”

Drew nodded. “Me, too. She's quite a woman.”

I saw her spun by Peter and she was laughing. “Yes, she is.”

 

We didn't stay that long and parted with Keith promising we were in town a few more years. We'd be back.

 

There was one more trip into downtown in east Boston. A very good restaurant on Hanover Street. Carmelina's Italian Bistro. It wasn't fancy, but highly praised as the best in Boston. Don Wilson, our Press and Personal Assistant called to get us reservations. They were open every day, but had a private area for dining. Peter and I insisted Boris come with us.

“But...” Boris started to protest.

“Consider it a night off.” Peter insisted. “You and Yuri are going as family and friends.”

I nodded. “And you two will be sitting at the table being served, not serving.”

“We insist.” Peter added.

 

Yuri protested, too, but of course, we won. We also knew that even though he won't be “on duty,” he would still be there to handle any emergency that arose.

 

The more casual atmosphere was welcome. There was laughter and many conversations with the other patrons in Carmelina's. That sort of stopped when we all came in the front door. Replaced with whispers to each other and stares as we tread our way through the tables and passed the bar. We dined in a room that just fit us. Meaning it was not a big room but it wasn't crowded, but full. There was laughter and conversation. It did get a little loud as grandmother was talking with Wayne who was also talking with me and I spoke with Yuri...it was delightful chaos!

 

As was life, all things come to a conclusion. Our time together would continue, but we had the Graham Norton Show. We flew to London.

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 26
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Keith didn’t get them to autograph any of the photos? That would seem like something I would want done, if I were Keith. Another sign of their endorsement!
;–)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Fantastic chapter. I’m glad to see this story again after so long of a wait, I was definitely impressed by this chapter. With Peter, Eric, Katrina, Drew and Wayne arrive at the house in Boston then introducing Drew and Wayne to Boris and then Yuri then telling them they were considered family. The trip to Jocks was great even with the security detail with them they all had a fantastic time dancing with Katrina as well as taking with Keith who was the bartender as well as the owner. Peter told Keith that he could say that they recommend Jocks to anyone who asks as well as him saying that it was his first as in the first time in a nightclub. Now that Eric was having an issue with Katrina traveling so much that he asked Peter if he could ask her if she would stay with them until they all fly to Stryia of course Peter said she was family so why couldn’t she, Eric went to talk to her and she said she would love to stay in Boston with them until they go to Stryia for the wedding and coronation after the wedding. They even went to a nice Italian restaurant along with their friends and family including Boris and Yuri, where they had a great time with each other as well as a great meal. I can’t wait to read about the wedding and coronation.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Keith didn’t get them to autograph any of the photos? That would seem like something I would want done, if I were Keith. Another sign of their endorsement!
;–)

Who says they didn't?  Peter and Eric said they were endorsing Jocks.   :yes:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment

Very happy my favorite GA stories continuing, 
 

Unsure but think the word Tea is missing from this sentence  "dumped England's .... into the harbor"

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Anderoc said:

Unsure but think the word Tea is missing from this sentence  "dumped England's .... into the harbor"

I think there was a different protest where England’s unmentionables were dumped into the harbor – obviously, it is less well-known. Forgotten are the cause and the target. Not the most successful protest, but what do you expect from the people who brought you Inflate-Gate?
;–)

Link to comment

Great update, glad your muse refound you, or vice versa. 

I too am concerned with 74 yo widows flitting across the world...it is hard at that age, even at the pointy end.

One piece of pedantry: I cannot accept "drug" as any part of the verb "to drag", unless of course he did drug her, possibly with something injectable, on the dance floor, which would be a very different issue!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Anderoc said:

Very happy my favorite GA stories continuing, 
 

Unsure but think the word Tea is missing from this sentence  "dumped England's .... into the harbor"

Opps.   I fixed it.   Thank you.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
39 minutes ago, Canuk said:

One piece of pedantry: I cannot accept "drug" as any part of the verb "to drag", unless of course he did drug her, possibly with something injectable, on the dance floor, which would be a very different issue!

Fixed.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Tonyr said:

Great to see them back. Hope they come around again more often.

I'm working on the next chapter now.   I will post it soon.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
31 minutes ago, R. Eric said:

I'm working on the next chapter now.   I will post it soon.

Thanks. This one was great.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Outstanding chapter! I’m so glad that you’re able to continue this story after getting back in touch with your muse. A relaxing visit with family and friends touring around Boston and enjoying themselves. The visit to Jocks was interesting with the owner coming outside to welcome them and admitted that he has photo’s of the Royal couple behind the bar. Grandmother agreeing to stay with the boys until they go to London has relieved Drew’s concerns about all of the traveling. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

My critical eye did not detect the words 'drug' or the missing word 'tea', so they were indeed fixed. Those are the small errors that Editors are supposed to detect, but I see you do not list any Editors in the heading of the story, arranging for an Editor might be something you could do to upgrade some of the errors or inconsistencies in the many chapters. Why not consider that and relieve your mind about small mistakes?

Link to comment

Great chapter .Grandma is one hell of a woman wow. Dancing as if that she whatnot a 75 old lady. Fantastic. An example for people our age 70 +😂

Now up to London for the next interview. I’m glad I’m not famous and can do as I won’t without any security.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..