Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 10,535 Words
  • 1,262 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Makarovia! Yes, I Know Where That is! Sophomore Year - 102. Invitations

Makarovia prepares for the Proposal and Helga to be asked to be Queen. Helga doesn't like her mother at all. Her mother never liked her and that's tension Helga does NOT need. Peter and Eric get a surprise! Yes, there are two visits to the Grotto.

We walked down the corridor to go back to what we had planned before Klaus had done what he had.

Olek looked at us and smiled, “And what are you planning tonight? The Grotto again?”

I grinned back at him, “It’s the hippest place in Makarovia!” I said in English. “Of course, we’re going there.”

Olek grimaced, “Hippest.” He repeated. “What you Americans do to the English language,” he shook his head. “You don’t wonder how frustrating that is.”

“And you don’t wonder how frustrating it is for someone to learn Makarovian,” I pointed out.

Peter threw his arm over Olek’s shoulder, “You are more than welcome to come.” He added carefully. “You and Helga. Mom and Mario are welcome.”

Olek smiled and nodded, “I know, but I have some things to do…” he glanced back at the hall where we left Klaus Ordan in a holding cell, “until he interrupted.”

“You can take a night off, Olek,” Peter reminded his brother. “Don’t make us have to kidnap you again to take some time.”

Olek chuckled, “I wouldn’t object this time.” He sighed and smiled brightly, “We have tourists!”

No, that shouldn’t be a surprise, but people were coming to a country almost no one remembered before the uranium. Now, people were coming to Makarovia just to see the sights! Okay, and the fact that Peter and I were the first openly gay couple in a royal family to be married on international television.

“Why not?” I grinned. “Hell, Rsys Lake and the valley is breathtaking! Being it is Summer, it’s accessible.” I grudged a shrugging nod, “I’m sure it beautiful in Winter, if we can get to it.”

“It is!” Olek nodded enthusiastically. “We’re having commercial flights coming in in Skoal. We already have the family and friends of the servicemen and women stationed here coming. We’re updating the train depots.”

“Do we have customs?” I asked. “People are coming in from many countries. Is there a way to sort through them? With the Consortium out there, we need to know.”

Olek gave a waggling nod, “We’re trying to get some kind of check and balance for that.”

Peter looked at his brother more intently, “And?”

“We’re getting a Customs Agency together,” Olek explained. “Normally, people come and go freely. They always have.”

Peter stopped and manually stopped Olek, “That’s not what I’m asking about. There’s something else.”

Olek’s eyes grew and he shook his head, “I’m the older brother. Not you.”

I grinned at Olek, “Brothers can read things others can’t. Even I can tell there’s something else.”

Olek’s head fell forward. He nodded and said, “Fine. I may need to camp on your couch a night or two.” Peter’s and my eyes grew hearing that.

“Why?” Peter asked quietly. “What did you do?”

“I have been pressuring Helga to invite her mother to the Proposal,” Olek said quietly and looked away. He hurried on, “I know things between Helga and her mother are a bit rocky, but I don’t think her mother should be informed like the rest of the world about our marriage or her own grandchild.”

“Helga said she hasn’t spoken with her in a few years,” I reminded him. “Family dynamics can be tricky.”

Olek nodded and held a finger up to object, “Not if you don’t want there to be. It takes a family committed to staying together.” He sighed, “I just don’t want Helga hurt.”

“Staying on top of this problem,” Peter began. “This will help with family involvement in the press.”

“Do you know what happened between Helga’s mother and father?” I asked Olek. “I understand there was some substance abuse issue. What happened between Helga and her mother?”

Olek’s head wavered a little, “Not really. I understand it was very bad.”

“Parents and children often have a hard time getting along,” I ventured. “Children seek their parents’ approval, and some parents have difficulty showing pride and love for their children.” I grinned, “I gather that wasn’t a problem for the Ivanovs.”

Olek smiled back acting shocked, “Who? Us!?” He shook his head, “No!” He looked closer at me. “You’ve met Queen Alla. Dad and Peter’s mother never allowed that!”

Peter chuckled, “I doubt Helga will throw you out.” He shrugged, “If she does, you’re welcome to our couch. However, I think there are vacant quarters available to you in the palace.”

 

Peter and I did resume our plan to go to the Grotto. Mercea, Alec, Stepan, and Vesil assumed their stance they had started a mere few hours ago. I did notice something I hadn’t seen before. A large, grey-green bus drove away from the Grotto’s opening having unloaded a large group of military personnel. This was the weekend! This was the best club in Makarovia for dancing, drinking, and just being together. As no military member had their own vehicle, this system just made sense.

“I’ll drop you off,” Alec said. “I’ll park and meet you inside.”

Peter looked at the entrance and we all heard the booming bass tempo from inside, “This is a cavern. How can they expand?”

I shrugged, “There is a large portion of the Grotto not used. I’m sure they will come up with a solution.” I poked Peter lightly in the gut. “Besides, you’re the one to plan. Get busy.”

“There is that large club they are planning in the underground,” Peter’s head bobbed slightly. “That should take some of the pressure off Dan and Dimitri.”

I smiled thinking of our two Russian businessmen. Friends. They saw an opportunity and ran with it.

The club atmosphere never died. Not once. The music was loud, and the dance floor was almost crowded. Booths that surrounded the dance floor were also crowded.

As loath as I was with using my status as a member of the Royal Family, that distinction had the advantage of not waiting for table to become available. A table was made available “for us.” I again had to remind myself this did not mean I naturally deserved it.

Peter and I took the dancefloor, but this time we didn’t do the “no touching” dance. This time we DID touch. Nothing too provocative, but we did make contact with each other. The awkwardness that many of the other patrons of the Grotto had in seeing men dance with men were gone. No one gave Peter and me more than the curious glance. (I know, I have a tendency to harp on that fact, but even in the United States gay men and women were not always seen as “normal.” Here in Makarovia, we were! The whole world watched Peter and I get married televised EVERYWHERE!!)

The Grotto was not the place to go and talk. You came to dance and drink. Peter and I weren’t dancing lushes, but that’s why we were here!

 

What happened with Klaus would be addressed. Mikell and Cosmo were returning to Makarovia, and we needed to be ready to have Cosmo move into the palace while he recovered. I planned to be there as much as I could be to aid Cosmo in his physical rehabilitation.

When Peter and I came down for breakfast…well, it was nearly lunchtime. So, I’ll say brunch. Only Olek and Helga were still at the table. They were sitting together, but not much conversation right now. I got the feeling that Helga was feeling some morning sickness. She was eating some bread that was not exactly a biscuit, nor was it a cracker.

“Good morning,” Peter greeted for us as we got our various coffees.

Helga nodded and said her quiet, “Good morning.”

“Are you feeling well?” I asked Helga.

“Just a little queasy,” Helga confessed. “These scones will help.”

“Did you close down the Grotto last night?” Olek asked with a slight grin. He was writing something and stopped long enough for us to answer.

“Almost,” Peter confessed.

I noticed a very elegant gold script done in a fancy calligraphy writing say in Makarovian. “Пропозиція” Proposition in Cyrillic, but still very elegant. The writing below was still fancy but written in black on the white cardstock.

Olek’s eyes came up and met mine and he glanced up at Helga. His smile was a little cautious. “This is an invitation to the Proposal.”

Helga sighed and said without looking up, “Just tell them. You do everything else.” Her tone was annoyed, but not angry. “He’s sending it to my mother.”

“He doesn’t tell us everything,” Peter defended.

I touched Peter’s hand, “He does.” I corrected gently. I grudged a shrug, “It was kind of unnerving at first, but I find it so much easier. No secrets.”

“I didn’t know how to invite her,” Helga confessed. She waved at what Olek was writing, “HE is inviting her.”

Olek nodded, “I’m including a handwritten invitation by me to come to the Proposal. Not from a king, but as your husband, Helga. I think she needs to be told. I married her daughter. You are having her grandchild.”

“She probably won’t even come,” Helga ground out angrily.

Olek nodded, “She might not, but WE invited her. I’m willing to send the jet to bring her here. She is your mother.”

“I don’t hate her.” Helga nodded, “I don’t like her, Olek. She made it clear she didn’t like me.”

I got the feeling this was dangerous waters. “You are a queen! Officially, you will be a queen of Makarovia! She’s getting a handwritten invitation by the king of Makarovia!”

Helga laughed, but there was no humor in it, “Yes, that will be the only reason she agrees to come.”

“You will be protected, Helga,” Olek assured, and it was something he had said many times before from his tone. “You don’t have to spend any time alone with her.” He motioned toward the invitation and letter. “It’s just polite!”

“She was cruel to you?” Peter asked.

I squeezed Peter’s hand, “Let HER tell us.” I told him and looked at Helga. “Or don’t. That’s up to you.”

“Being mean and cruel requires emotion!” Helga explained loud. “She had none.” She raised her finger and added, “Not one. She never smiled or even frowned. She never laughed and never got angry.”

“Never?” I asked.

“Never,” Helga nodded. “I’ll say she never loved. Anyone. Not my father and not me.” Her voice now was angry.

“Is there a reason she has no emotions?” I asked. “Did something happen to her?”

Helga shrugged, “We never found out. She refused any counselling.” She looked up and looked directly at us, “I will tell you. Dad married her for her money. He admitted it. The alcohol came later. He had affair after affair and didn’t really even try to hide it! My mother never got angry or even threatened him with divorce. She refused to let him divorce her. He used the money and started some very lucrative businesses. Mother never made friends with anyone.” She held the finger up to add a point, “But she knew how to impress others. If she comes, THAT will be the reason. Impress people. That’s all.”

Neither of us were going to contradict what she said. We could not know what was in the past. I was more impressed that Helga grew up pretty normally. Her values were clear.

Olek nodded, “You know her. I don’t.” He said quietly. “I can’t understand why she is the way she is, but you are a brilliant woman. You are my beautiful wife. I saw you for what you were very quickly. You now carry our child.” He shook his head slowly, “If she can’t see you for what you are. I do.” He waved at Peter and I, “They do. Makarovia does and will understand more. We are family. We’ll always be on your side.”

Helga nodded and brushed a tear that came. This time her smile was real, “I know. Thank you.”

 

Helga’s explanation about her mother told me a lot. No, I was no counselor or any psychological therapist. I was Katrina Sams’ grandson. She and grandpa had taught me to hear what wasn’t said as well as what was. Who knew what happened to Helga’s mother? At a key part in her life, Helga’s mother had learned to cut her emotions off. The fact that her mother knew how to impress others told me she wasn’t THAT cut off. A psychopath knew what to do and would feel nothing. There were other diagnoses that could fit here.

“If she comes or doesn’t,” Olek explained. “We have extended a welcome. That will be on record.” He picked up the letter he was writing. “This is going by special courier. We will have signed paperwork to back up any claim by her or us. Proof.”

Helga nodded again and smiled at Olek.

 

The weekend flew by. It was Monday when the Makarovian Jet flew down to Greece. It wasn’t that long before we got word that the jet had returned and Mikell and Cosmo were being brought to the palace.

Peter, Yuri, Boris, Olek, and I waited for the elevator to reach the correct floor, Peter nor I had prepared for who arrived.

As soon as the elevator opened, my eyes widened as I saw...Cosmo in a wheelchair, Mikell pushing the chair and four others.

“Pano!” I happily greeted our huge friend and his husband Barry.

“I hope you don’t mind,” Barry told us grinning. “Monday is the day we close Big, so we thought what the Hell?”

Peter frowned, “No, get back on the plane. You’re not welcome.” His frown held only a second before it broke into a happy smile, arms stretched out wide to encompass Pano and Barry. Pano alone would take up any room Peter had in his arms. “How did you manage to fit in the elevator!? There’s a weight limit!”

Hugging Barry I grinned at our friends, “Pay no attention to him. This is unexpected, but very welcome!” I looked at Edger, “Edger! It’s great to see you!” I hugged the older man. Yuri and Boris knew them, but I turned to Olek. “Olek! These are our good friends we met in Athens!” I pulled Edger over, “This is Edger Constandinos.” I put my hand on Pano’s arm, “This giant of man is Edger’s son Pano and he and his husband Barry Constandinos,” I waved at Barry, “are the owners of the Big Bar in Athens! That’s where we met them.” I touched Olek. “This is Peter’s and my brother His Royal Majesty King Olek Ivanov the second of Makarovia!”

All of the people were bowing instantly after I said that. Olek was grinning more as he stuck his hand out, “It’s an honor to meet you. Eric and Peter have raved about your club. I understand you were all very important at keeping them safe in Athens.”

Pano shook Olek’s hand, “Mikell offered to bring us with them.” He shrugged, “And why not? I hope that is okay.”

“It is!” Olek nodded.

I looked at the other man, somewhere in his mid-twenties with the black hair and brown eyes of a Greek man but did not know him.

Mikell nodded, “Oh, this is Ryna Drakos.” He touched the man’s shoulder. “He’s Cosmo’s Physical Therapist.”

Cosmo was looking a little annoyed, “Can I get up now?”

Ryna looked infinitely patient and still shook his head, “Not until we get you settled.” The Greek accent was heard again. Not from Pano, Barry, or Edger, but from Ryna.

“I’m hugging you, too!” Peter said to Cosmo. “We’ll get you settled in your room first.”

“I can walk!” Cosmo complained.

“Maybe,” I grinned. “We don’t want any accidental falls.” I cocked my head at him, “Olek is right here. He can make it a law to follow instructions from the doctor.”

Ryna pulled a folder from a shoulder bag he had carried, along with a duffle bag I assumed were clothes and things for Ryna. “And here is the discharge summery. The instructions are in Greek but I can translate them to English.”

Cosmo looked back at Ryna, “How do we know you’ll tell what it says? You could say whatever you want.”

Ryna wasn’t bothered or offended by Cosmo. He had apparently dealt with Cosmo before he was discharged, “I could.” He nodded. “You’ll have to trust me.”

Cosmo hmphed and turned away folding his arms over his chest. I got the image of a willful little boy being told to behave. I thumbed at Ryna, “I like him!”

Edger was trying to see more, but didn’t know if he could, “This is the palace?”

Peter looked back at Edger, “What? THIS? No, we’ll show you around.” He thumbed over his shoulder at the hall behind him. “Let’s get Cosmo in his room. THEN we’ll show you the palace.”

As we walked the wide corridor, Edger was looking around. “I thought Mikell had to be mistaken when we pulled up HERE.” He pointed to the floor. “He told us this was a fortress.”

Peter nodded, “It was…” his head waggled a bit, “and still is.”

“This structure was built about a thousand years ago,” I waved at the walls and floor. “The palace portion was added about five hundred years ago and has gone through some changes.”

“Most recently the added power and computer networks,” Peter added. “Below this floor is another residential floor, below that are offices.”

I chuckled, “I needed a map to find things the first year.”

Barry was looking and remarked, “There are no windows.”

“In your room there are,” Peter said. “The whole construction was done to do two things, keep the warmth in and invading armies out. Lower ceilings in the sleeping chamber to hold heat. The lower fortress walls are two feet thick of solid stone. Up here is only a foot thick. There are thin windows on the upper wall. If anyone managed to scale up the outer wall, no one could get in that way. Arrows are deflected. The citizens of the Capitol, Stryia, could be hidden within the walls here and did so for weeks!” He pointed to some additions to the wall. “Drilling into the stone wasn’t recommended. We had to run the pipes, vents, and wires and put them in the protected coverings.”

Since the extraction of the uranium and influx of money the palace had changed. It was always elegant, but now the carpeted runner down the center of the corridor was thick and padded to protect the feet against the hard stone floor. The walls also had tapestries and paintings, small sculptures, vases of fresh flowers…it looked like what it was supposed to be. A palace.

We got to a wide door to the quarters we were giving to Cosmo and Ryna. Opening the door revealed the usual couple of rooms inside. It had been arranged with them in mind. The bedroom had the single bed in the center. Another bed was put in the great room. Whether Ryna or Cosmo took which bed was up to them. We showed them where things were, and Cosmo was NOT waiting another minute in that wheelchair. He struggled to rise to his feet with Ryna and Mikell right there to be sure he didn’t fall. Cosmo moved his arm away to keep the touch to a minimum.

“I’m fine!” Cosmo said through gritted teeth.

“Yes,” Ryna nodded. “And we’re here to make sure you stay fine.” He looked at Cosmo. “Do I have to remind you? If you’re moving about in here, use the cane. If out in the palace, use the chair and never…” he held a threatening finger up, “NEVER go out there alone!”

“Yes, yes,” Cosmo moaned.

“You’re recovering,” I said to Cosmo. “We’re doing all we can to be sure you do.”

“We love you, Cosmo,” Peter continued.

Olek was grinning at us and turned to Barry, Pano, and Edger, “I hope you can stay a while. This week is important in Makarovia. Helga and I are married now, but there is the Proposal where I will ask the people of Makarovia if they will accept Helga, not just as my wife, but Queen.”

Pano nodded, “I saw Peter’s and Eric’s Proposal and Wedding.”

Olek’s head fell forward a bit, “Well, yes…this Proposal is going to be less dramatic than theirs was. Nonetheless, it is an official process in Makarovia. There is a small banquet on Friday night and then the Proposal on Saturday before various mayors around Makarovia.”

Barry smiled and threw his hands out, “That has to be the most unique approach to any royalty in the WORLD!”

Pano nodded, “Not something simple like being born to it or by marriage, no, the entire populace of Makarovia gets to approve of someone as a ruler! This is great!!” He looked at Pano and then Edger. “Could we stay a few extra days?”

Pano’s face held just a little reluctance as he thought out loud. “We do have the Big Bar to open tomorrow.”

“And we’ve had Jerzy and Dinu open and run it before,” Barry said hopefully. He shrugged, “We would invite riots if we closed this week.”

Pano looked sorely tempted, “We need to call them and ask them…”

Edger nudged Pano, “A week?” He looked at us. “Do you have enough room?”

I laughed at that question, “I dare say we do.”

Pano chuckled, “Let us call and see.”

There were many languages spoken here at this time, but the one language everyone spoke was English. We showed Ryna and Cosmo the computer and the icon they could use to get drinks, meals, snacks, or any other need taken care of.

“And you have to come to the Grotto!” Peter declared to Pano. “It’s not like the Big Bar, but very exciting and crowded.”

“Do you remember the Duchess?” I asked them about the huge yacht we took on Peter’s and my honeymoon and they had dinner on one night.

“Sure,” Edger replied instantly. “That wonderful ship!”

“You’ll meet the real Countess, Maria von Bar and Count Alexi von Bar of Luxembourg,” Peter grinned. “They will be here at the end of this week.”

“We get to meet her for the first time, too!” I added.

“Wow,” Pano’s eyes widened. “Is it never ending excitement here?”

Olek, Peter, and I looked at each other and then nodded with, “Yep.” “Sure is.” “You better believe it!”

In spite of Cosmo’s statement otherwise, it was clear Cosmo needed to rest. We assured Cosmo he was not alone and would need his strength later. Both Peter and I did hug Cosmo tightly as he was put on the couch to rest. Ryna would have to teach Peter and I how to do the therapy on Cosmo. There were to be additional therapists for Cosmo, but Peter and I both insisted we were doing it as well.

“You willingly did a job for us,” Peter told Cosmo. “Allow us to help you.”

“You proved yourself loyal to Makarovia, to Peter, and myself,” I added. “You proved it was more than a job, but a dear friend to us. We will help our dear friend.”

Cosmo’s face lost the hardened defiance and he nodded. “Thank you.”

We showed Edger, Pano, and Barry their quarters. Edger didn’t want his own quarters but relented.

 

Then we showed Pano, Barry, and Edger the palace. There were the usual “wows.”

At dinner that evening we introduced Queen Alla, Mario Basso, Helga, and my grandmother to our friends from Athens. We were not surprised to have Cosmo and Ryna come down for dinner. Ryna insisted he use the wheelchair until he got into the dining room.

“Where’s Mikell?” Olek asked.

“It seems that he and Mercea had a sort of reunion planned,” Peter grinned as I nodded.

Yuri shook his head, “The men entering a relationship? I’m still not comfortable with it.”

“Why not?” Olek asked. “You and Boris are married.”

Yuri nodded, “Not about that, but about men who serve together being together.”

I looked at Yuri and waved at Pano and Barry, “Which they have demonstrated the advantage of having lovers serving together.”

Boris was still trying to serve everyone, which we had to continually remind him not to, “It’s fine. We serve together.”

Yuri nodded, “In different areas. I secure and you take care of the house.”

“What do you say about going to the Grotto?” Peter grinned and he looked at everyone at the table. “I mean, everyone.”

Helga chuckled, but shook her head, “I don’t think I should.” She looked at Olek, “You can, Olek.”

Olek chuckled but shook his head. “I’m too old for that much fun.”

“Old!?” Edger balked. “I’m way older than you, but I’d love to go!”

Grandmother also shook her head, “I have a ballet class I’m teaching in Skoal in the morning. I loved it when we went before, but I need my sleep before I do that.”

Peter pointed at Boris and Yuri, “This is your last week in Makarovia…”

“This year,” I added quickly.

“Right,” Peter nodded. “Then it’s back to Boston!”

“Am I allowed to go?” Cosmo asked a bit sourly.

He had done well. However, I knew his injury had cut into his spinal cord. It wasn’t severed, but the signals to his legs weren’t always being received as they should. That was our big concern. Those neuro-pathways needed to be stimulated and his body needed further instruction to make sure that happened. I hoped he could return to his job…one day. The spinal cord would NOT heal. We also didn’t want any further injury.

Ryna looked at Cosmo, “I can’t say no. You do have to be careful.”

“I rested all day!” Cosmo argued.

“You did,” Ryna nodded. “I can’t say you can’t go.” He looked at Peter and I, “Is this a dance club?”

“Yes,” Peter answered.

Ryna sighed, “Dancing would be great exercise. It would, but you don’t need to overdo it.”

“And that’s why you’re here!” Olek countered. “You make sure he doesn’t.”

“We go,” Peter said pointing at Cosmo. “Listen to Ryna and we will have a vehicle to take you back here if necessary.” He said firmly. “No arguments.”

Cosmo crossed his chest in a promise to do as he was asked to do.

We quickly contacted all of the others that had been with us on the honeymoon and told them what was happening.

 

We took the elevator down to the area where the transports waited and this time, Cosmo didn’t protest about the wheelchair.

Taking a more scenic drive to the Grotto so they could see the city. As the new power station was up and running, it was brightly lit.

Again, there were the disbelieving looks as we pulled into the parking area for the Grotto.

“It’s a cave!?” Pano asked as we got out. The thumping bass and the noise from inside could be heard.

“Yes, it is!” Peter nodded.

We watched as Cosmo lowered himself into the chair, “I suppose we’re going to find out if it’s handicap accessible.” He grumbled.

“Cosmo!” Rolph shouted his greeting and rushed over hugging Cosmo followed by Andreea, his frequent wife, ex-wife, and wife again.

Mikell and Mercea came over and I grinned seeing the joined hands. Yep, they were a couple. There is nothing like having the right person in your life.

Andreea came up and said, “Privenno bachiti vas I pro. Iak pozivaires?” She looked puzzled, “Chee mozhu yo tebe obiiniaty?

I knew what she was saying but knew Pano, Barry, Edger, and Ryna didn’t speak Makarovian.

“I’ll be offended if you DON’T hug me,” Cosmo grinned and replied.

“Oh, Andreea, this is Pano Constandinos, his husband Barry Constandinos, their father Edger Constandinos, and Ryna Drakos, Cosmo’s Physical Therapist.” I waved at Andreea, “Meet Andreea, Rolph’s wife.” I leaned toward her, “They don’t speak Makarovian. Everyone speaks English.”

Andreea chuckled and bowed her head at our guests, “My apologies. It’s nice to meet you.” She held her hand out to them. “Welcome to Makarovia.” When she got to Pano, her eyes held marvel. “YOU are big!”

Peter smiled and nodded, “I know. That word in English is more than just a description.” He patted Pano on the arm. “He is big, but he is also BIG…as in the Big Bar!” He looked at Barry, “Really, THEY are the Big Bar. Except for the Grotto, they have the best bar in the world!”

Pano bowed forward a little and flushed. The giant of a man was a big softie! “Thank you.” He shrugged, “I really created the bar so friends could get together.”

“And they DO!” I nodded. I looked at Rolph and Andreea, “How are your girls?”

Rolph’s eyes rolled, but you knew he loved it, “I’ve had more,” he did the finger quotes in the air, “tea parties. The weather is nice out and I have to insist we go on a picnic to get them outside!”

Andreea smiled bumping Rolph gently, “They love having their Daddy home.” She took his arm and got closer to him. “I like having him home, too.”

“Wait for me!” Alec came jogging up.

“We’re only missing the crew of the Duchess, but we’re all here!” I threw my arms around Alec. The most reserved agent we had was still a bit standoffish, but not with me. Getting him to open up to me had done wonders. Not exactly a hundred- and eighty-degree turn, but so much more at ease.

“Let’s not just stand around out here,” Mikell smiled. “Let’s go in!”

 

We came into the Grotto and our visitors from Greece were dumbfounded. There was easily close to a thousand people here now. Flashing lights and the thunderous music said the Grotto was alive!

“Not all of these people are Makarovians,” Barry shouted to be heard.

“No,” Peter acknowledged. “Quite a few are the military service members from the nations keeping Makarovia safe.” He shrugged, “They aren’t just doing it to be nice. They get a portion of the uranium in exchange for the protection.”

“It’s loud,” Pano shouted.

“It’s exciting!” Edger added with a smile. “I wish I was twenty years younger!”

“Weather in the Winter is severe and when it is warm,” I grinned watching the many dancers, “they can’t get enough of this!”

Someone obviously told the DJ we were here, because we heard the song the thump, tap and the beginning of “Hella Good” by No Doubt.

Peter held his hand out to me, “It’s our song. I think they want us to dance.”

I took his hand, “Let’s do it!”

We again did our “no touching” dance. We added things in the dance. There was almost no footwork in the dance. The opening line sang was “Keep on dancin’, the waves keep crashing on me for some reason…but your love keeps on coming like a thunderbolt; come here a little closer ‘cause I wanna see you baby real close up…” I added the “come here” motion with my finger and as Peter did, I backed away. He came close on his left and I leaned away on my right. The gyrations and moves that seemed to defy gravity, our body movements so close you couldn’t believe we didn’t collide or touch. The other dancers on the floor allowed us the center of attention and cameras were showing our dance on the big screens around the nightclub. There were the “whoops” and cheers from the people that watched us. Yes, we were members of the Royal Family, but that fact alone wasn’t what had placed us in the “popular” category. We were liked and loved by millions. The Website that asked for people to sign up for us to represent them was in the millions worldwide.

Once we finished, Peter and I naturally touched then as arms came around each other and we kissed happily and embraced tightly. The crowd was now drowning out any music as the applause, whistles, and catcalls surrounded us. We returned to our friends who were around a large table that they weren’t sitting around at the moment. One of those shrill whistles boys learn early in life was coming from Barry! Pano, Edger, and Ryna were clapping so hard it probably hurt! Those with us that had seen it before were clapping and held proud smiles.

Pano waved his hand out and screamed, “How…”

Barry added, “Where did you learn to do THAT!?”

“Auto itan adynaton!” Edger blurted in Greek, his hands waving at the dancefloor.

Pano grinned, “You saw it, Dad! It is obviously NOT impossible!”

Peter and I were a little winded at the moment as we got to the table, “We know each other and have done some dancing together before.” His eyebrows waggled up and down telling the dance wasn’t always on the dancefloor.

“With Grandma,” I said sitting in the booth, “dance is in the blood.” I shrugged. “That song has become known for Peter and me to dance to. As you could see, there wasn’t a lot going on with the feet.”

“Can you teach us how to do it?” Barry asked.

Peter and I nodded, but I added, “It comes from inside. I know Peter and he knows me.” I shrugged, “Many things are improvised.”

 

Everyone at our table was male except for Andreea.

“Eric,” Andreea began. Rolph was talking with others and couldn’t overhear us. “Rolph told me what you want to do. He and I go to the States, we bring our children.”

I nodded, but saw the doubt in her eyes, “That’s right. Is there a problem with that?”

“Not a problem,” Andreea grudged a nod. “I’m to do what? Be a Housewife and Mother in the States?”

My eyes grew. She was smart and knew that reason wasn’t enough, “What!? No!!”

“I have a job here and my girls have friends and school…” she began to explain.

“No!” I shook my head, “Your parents sent you out of Makarovia to get an education and to college. King Olek, Peter, and I are hoping to use you there!” I shook my head, “You’re a lawyer!”

Her head bobbed a little, “Really a Paralegal. I hope to practice law in Makarovia as a lawyer.”

My head wavered a little and knew what she was doing. She wanted to know what she was going to do in the United States. “Andreea, this is very selfish on our part,” I confessed. “Peter and I love Rolph, and all the Security Agents sent with us on our honeymoon. We keep Rolph with us, but YOU,” I grinned. “You would be used by Makarovia in the United States as a lawyer for King Olek and Makarovia! You have a law degree and have practiced law in Europe…mostly in Makarovia, but in East Europe. I know King Olek can use a lawyer for Makarovia and him in the United States!”

Her eyes grew, “But I don’t have a law degree for the United States!”

“And?” I asked. “We’ll be in Boston. Harvard Law School is right there! Peter and I have two more years at Northeastern University and then I will be going to MIT which is also right there!”

“I can’t afford that!” Andreea said in a panic.

“Were you a good student?” I asked.

“I tried to be,” Andreea said weakly.

“King Olek will see this as an investment!” I waved at her. “A lawyer trained at one of the top Ivy League Universities in the world is working for Makarovia.” I looked at her seriously, “Are you not even willing to consider the possibility?”

“I haven’t even been accepted,” Andreea protested.

My eyes rolled and I looked back at her, “I think with King Olek’s request and perhaps even a request by the President of the United States, you will be accepted.” I shrugged, “Olek wants me to get a continued education from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. I’m sure I’d never have been accepted before, but I’m sure I will be. I’m a fair student, but I know I will have to work.” I nodded, “You will know International Law! I can guarantee you’ll be needed and used.” I touched her hand, “I also know you ARE a wife and mother, if it’s to much…I know you can be used in Boston.”

Her eyes kept growing the more I told her, “That’s a lot of responsibility.” She said quietly…well, as quiet as she could in all that noise.

“It is,” I agreed. “If you come and become just a wife and mother,” I shrugged, “fine.” Grinning, I added, “You already know that won’t be enough.” I touched her hand gently. “You’re Makarovian. Otherwise, you would have remained in the Ukraine. You married a Makarovian and began a family here. Being a mother is a fulltime job, but if you can do it…take classes and get your law degree. Work for Makarovia.” I smiled at her, “Just think about it.”

She smiled back and shook her head, “What’s to think about? Of course, I’ll do it.” Then she looked at me seriously, “I won’t let King Olek, you and Peter, or Makarovia down.”

“Good!” I said.

 

The evening was fun. Edger was surprised when Peter returned from the bar with a tray of drinks for those at the table and he put a small glass in front of him.

Edger’s eyes widened, “This place serves Ouzo!?”

Peter smiled and sat with us again, “This club is an international club now. We have people from all over the world here,” he nodded. “It’s not served that often, but they had it!” He leaned toward Edger, “I won’t be drinking it this time. Once was enough for me.” He looked at me, “Would you like another one?”

I chuckled and held my finger up, “I proved my manhood once. Does that proof need to be renewed? As I understood it, you have one a day.”

“I felt like my insides were coming out when I drank it!” Peter nodded his agreement to what I said.

Edger was now smiling even more as he raised the little glass and sipped it. The little grimace and the sigh of satisfaction told us he appreciated it, “This is good!”

The Greek people were pretty open about things in Greece, but here they were still having to adjust their thinking. Pano was looking around and asked, “No one cares that you’re gay?”

Peter shook his head, “Until recently, almost half of the population in Makarovia were homosexuals. They were raised not to see it as odd.”

“That was why Peter’s and my wedding wasn’t seen as odd,” I shrugged. I waved at Pano and Barry, “You and Barry are married.”

Pano nodded, “We married in Canada. When we immigrated to Greece that status never changed.”

 

I also noticed that Ryna kept a close eye on Cosmo. Cosmo had done well, but his therapy would continue. Cosmo did dance a few dances. He danced with ME! He danced with Peter. He danced with Andreea. Sexuality was not important. Was he straight or gay? Was he bisexual? Who cared? He was here, alive, and loved.

Boris and Yuri danced a few dances. I was very happy when Mikell took Mercea out on the dancefloor. There was only a slight difference in their heights, but there weren’t many slow dances.

Our Security Agents WERE a more elite group. They were assigned to Peter and me while on the honeymoon by Yuri. The Agents assigned to the members of the Royal Family had to be the best. They had shone that’s just what they were. These Agents could keep up with both Peter and me. We had security guards at the palace and in Boston. Guards versus Agents. The men with us now were agents. These agents knew us on a more personal level. I had insisted these men became friends. I worried that Cosmo, even if he did recover more from what happened, he might not be allowed to return to being an agent. I would insist he stay. Perhaps he wouldn’t be able to perform physically as he had. He was still a trained agent and could supervise. He could monitor things and see what others might not. Whatever. He was injured on the job. It WAS to defend us. Peter and I had been unhurt, but Cosmo did it to be sure we would be unhurt. We weren’t talking about Workmen’s’ Compensation. We knew he deserved all we could do for him to make a recovery and had a job. Period.

 

It was early the next morning when we left the Grotto. Peter and I made them all promise to be there Friday evening for the banquet and be there Saturday for the Proposal.

On the way back to the palace Pano asked me, “This banquet on Friday…” he began, “We didn’t exactly pack any dress clothes.”

Peter shrugged, “That won’t be a problem. Those who will be attending the Proposal are representing the various cities and villages won’t be that formal. The money is coming into Makarovia now, but many don’t have many formal dress clothes.”

I grinned, “I’m sure Jori can fix that.” I chuckled and waved at Pano, “Though he might be challenged with him.”

“Jori?” Barry asked.

“He’s the best tailor in Europe!” I told them.

“We probably can’t afford him!” Pano said in panic.

“We invited YOU,” Peter qualified. “You saved our lives. You each will be given clothes you think will be appropriate.”

“We just came to visit you,” Barry said cautiously.

Peter nodded, “And we asked you to stay. You won’t be judged for what you do or don’t have. I promise.”

Barry looked at Pano, “We hoped to visit our friends and end up sleeping in a palace and going to this…” his hand waved at us, “historical event!”

 

The next morning Peter and I asked Jori to come by and see if he could provide something for our friends to wear. You knew he would do it. He had that reputation to keep. Remember?

We came down for breakfast to find Olek alone at the table. His smile was a little forced. “We will be having a few guests this coming weekend.”

Peter and I looked at each other and Peter asked, “Was it okay to invite our friends from Athens to stay, too?”

Olek was momentarily surprised, “What?” Then he waved that off. “Yes, yes, of course. We owe them. They helped with that awful Consortium Pirate thing and the paparazzi.” He smiled at us, “Yuri, Boris, Mikell and Rolph told me about that. We have the room.” He smiled when he said, “On Thursday the jet will get Maria von Bar and Count Alexi von Bar from Luxemburg and then go to Germany,” he frowned, “And pick up Helga’s mother, Tahnee Schuman.” He said worried and shook his head, “I hope we’re doing the right thing.”

“How is Helga doing?” I asked.

Olek sighed and nodded, “She’s notably upset, but she seems to be fine. She doesn’t need the stress. She’s pregnant and asking Makarovia if they will accept her as Queen.”

“Is it safe to do that?” Peter asked. The worry was in his tone. He held his hand up and hurried on, “I only ask because the level of stress could endanger our niece or nephew.”

Olek gave a grudging, hesitant nod, “I don’t like it, but Helga says she’s fine.” He waved at the usual chair she sat in during meals, which was empty. “She’s on her way to Skoal,” he pointed at me, “with your grandmother. Helga’s checking on the high-power demand there.”

I nodded, “Because of the military in Skoal. Americans and Brits use a bunch of electricity.”

Olek smiled, “She’s looking into what can be added. Such as the power substations.”

“Substations?” Peter repeated. “I assume those aren’t called that because they are underground.”

Olek chuckled, “Well, no. They are stations that help the distribution of the power from the reactors.”

“They probably are going underground,” I shrugged. “All power cables and the substations will have to be underground for the winter months.” I nodded, “And Skoal needs a lot! The homes and offices above ground need power and that underground mall and shopping…”

Peter nodded, “And that new train! A lot of power is needed for that!”

I pointed at Olek, “I bet the Makarovians are not the one causing the increase. How many Makarovians live in Skoal?”

Olek shrugged, “Maybe a hundred thousand. The mine engineers, military personnel, and support staff are three or four times that.”

“What’s happening with Klaus?” Peter asked.

Olek face held sorrow, “Until we get to the bottom as to why…I need to find any mention of the Ordan family in any journal…” he shrugged, “we won’t know.”

“What he did was wrong,” I nodded. “We will find the answer. Let’s also consider the Human factor.”

“What do you mean?” Olek asked.

“How many subjects have the privilege to come before the king?” I waved at Olek and shrugged. “Yet, he and his father and grandfather had an open door to the kings of Makarovia.”

Olek frowned, “Any Makarovian can come and visit me any time.”

“I dare say almost no one have even tried!” I pointed out. “His family had that honor and let the neighbors know what they were doing. That was a boost to his reputation and gave him some power. He can do what no one else can.”

“Perhaps you can invite him to the dinner and Proposal?” I asked carefully, “To show there is healing and how forgiving you are?”

Olek nodded again. “He was taken back to his home this morning,” Olek reported. “I sent guards with him, and they will stay there until the Proposal. Anyone doing anything to Klaus will understand anything harmful they do to Klaus will be prosecuted.”

“Due process,” I confirmed and went back to the other topic, “Helga will be fine. In the past women that worked on farms would work the fields and take the time to have the expected child and return to work. Helga’s healthy, right?”

Olek nodded, “For now.”

“We’ll all watch her,” I said and pointed at Olek. “This Tahnee Schuman had BETTER be on her best behavior. The entire world will see her daughter will be asked to be a Queen. A real Queen. I am sort of looking forward to meeting her. I get the image of her combining the Wicked Witch of the West and Snow White’s evil stepmother. Beauty and evil in one package.”

I could not believe there were many people who did NOT know the Wicked Witch from the Wizard of Oz. The evil stepmother in Sleeping Beauty was a classic! The evil queen was jealous of her stepdaughter’s looks? Never putting it together that beauty came from the inside!?

“Helga will not be alone with her,” Olek stated flatly. “As a matter of fact, her mother will be on the floor below ours. No chance meetings in the corridor.”

“Perhaps Yuri and one of the Security Agents can be assigned to shadow her mother while she’s here,” Peter suggested. “It is important to show respect to her, but she needs to show respect to you AND Helga!”

Olek smiled, “I agree.”

We heard a woman speaking with someone and wave them to where we were, “Right here. Can I get you some coffee? Any kind you like.” Pano and Barry smiled at her and told her their requests. She waved at the buffet where there were still the covered metal serving containers, “There are pancakes, waffles, eggs anyway you prefer, sausage, bacon…help yourselves.”

“We didn’t know if you were up yet,” Peter grinned as they sat down.

“How is your father?” I asked.

Pano nodded and waved the concern off, “He’s fine. We checked on him before we came down.”

“I think the Grotto was more excitement that he’s had in YEARS!” Barry added. “He’s still sleeping. We heard it.” He grinned and did an impression of Edger’s snore.

Pano chuckled, “It was the Ouzo.” Then he frowned, “There was never a bill given to us.”

Peter grinned and leaned forward, “One more time. YOU are our guests. You saved our lives. So, we repay you by giving you drinks and invite you to a Makarovian function…” he held his finger up, “And Jori will be here about noon. He will get sizes and measurements and the four of you will look sharp!”

“Dior, Armani, Yves Saint Laurent are peasants compared to what Jori can do,” I laughed.

“We DID it because our friends were in trouble!” Pano protested. “Not for any reward!”

Peter nodded and smiled more, “And THAT’S why we’re doing it. You are our friends FIRST. That we are royalty didn’t count much. No arguments.”

“We have a few…” I did the air quotes in the air, “friends that I say are truly friends.”

“You will have unlimited access to the palace and these two whenever you want,” Olek told them.

Barry held a hand up, “Wait. Four?”

Peter nodded, “Ryna is going, too. Yes, he’s here to do therapy on Cosmo. Cosmo will be at the dinner and at the Proposal, therefore Ryna will be there, as well.” He looked at me, “I like him, don’t you?”

I chuckled and nodded, “Very much. He can keep up with Cosmo and doesn’t let him by with anything!”

“Ryna will begin therapy with Cosmo this morning,” Peter explained. “Eric and I will be given instructions to how things need to be done. While Jori is sizing you four up, we’ll be helping Cosmo…”

“THEN we can show you Makarovia underground!” I said happily.

Pano nodded, “We saw that special that Drew Humphries of the BBC did when he covered the Christmas Season down there! I can hardly wait!”

 

Jori arrived about eleven o’clock with two assistants. He was the royal tailor, and I knew his time was precious now. Peter and I thanked him for doing this and introduced him to our four guests from Greece. We asked him to start with Ryna as he was showing Peter and me how to work with Cosmo.

When we introduced Pano, Jori’s eyes widened, “Mon Dieu. Cet homme est énorme!”

Even I knew what that meant as I laughed and nodded, “Yes, he is huge.”

“Is that going to be a problem?” Pano asked uncertain. “I often have to have clothes made for me.”

Jori’s pride reinserted, “Of course, not, monsieur! I have a reputation to keep. This was just unexpected.” He looked at Pano’s feet, “What size shoe do you wear?”

“In European size, a forty-nine,” Pano answered. “In the United States and Canada, a size sixteen.”

I let out a whistle hearing that, “Wow.”

“Not a problem,” Jori assured. “The shoes and suits will be ready for Friday night.”

Jori had begun to add new things to his acquiring of the measurements and sizes. He had built a profile for each on a computer and used a device to measure and get the exact dimensions. Edger was grumbling, but he would do it.

Ryna was done first so we could go begin therapy with Cosmo. He showed us that we were to test Cosmo’s reflexes first…and not just the knee tap that makes your leg jump. He used a metal stick-thing to run over his legs and what reactions Cosmo should have. Running up the bottom of his barefoot to see it curl involuntarily. He showed us how to record the reactions and judge the level of response. The nick to his spinal cord was causing some of the nerve impulses to not connect as it had. These exercises were to help his brain “rewire” those impulses. Cosmo worked hard to recover and getting him to walk wasn’t difficult, as long as those impulses got to where they were supposed to go. He had danced the night before. He was asked if there were any numbness or if he felt his leg cease to work. He admitted there were a few times he felt as if he would stumble but caught himself in time. These exercises were to be done every day. Twice, if we could.

I smiled at Cosmo, “Thank you for being honest.”

Cosmo seemed embarrassed and nodded, “I want to go back to work. I know if I’m not honest…” he grinned at me, “You could probably tell.”

“We’re doing what we have to,” Peter promised. “Every opportunity will be given for you to get back to work. I swear it.”

 

We worked with Cosmo almost two hours! Then he needed to rest. I reminded Ryna of the icon on the computer where he could order anything Cosmo, or he needed or wanted. It would be brought up to them.

Jori was just finishing with Barry, the last one to be measured. “As promised, they will have what they need by Friday afternoon.”

“Thank you,” Peter said sincerely.

Jori grinned, “So, you tried the Ouzo?”

Peter rolled his eyes away and I smiled, “Who told you about that?” I asked.

Peter pointed at Jori, “It was Edger, wasn’t it?”

Jori laughed and nodded, “He did indeed.” His head shook and he asked, “How did you do it!? I didn’t get past the first sip!”

Peter nodded, “Your approach was wrong.” He put his arm around me and said proudly, “He figured out how to down it in a single gulp, but it just about fried my insides!”

 

We gathered our friends and took them to the ground floor and into the tunnel passage to the underground.

“Wow,” Barry said quietly seeing the number of people moving about.

“This is in the Summer and the weather is nice,” I nodded.

“It is a life saver in Winter,” Peter added. Then he stopped and sniffed, “Is that…?” He asked and headed off down the passage. He stopped. It wasn’t far from where they sold that great coffee down here. “It is!!” He pointed for me, “It is! Look!!”

Like most of the stores and shops, they were carved out of the rock! In this case, the counter order and the kitchen behind it was carved in one hole and there was a dining area in another next to it.

The sign read in red Cyrillic and English a little smaller, “Makarovian Royal Burgers!” It seemed to be very popular as there were customers waiting for their orders.

“Those hamburgers Olek, you and I had that day must have inspired someone to open this!” I grinned. Looking at Pano, Barry, and Edger, “We don’t have a Burger King or McDonalds.” I waved at the burger stand. “We have this now!”

“Yes, you do,” Pano laughed. “It smells good.”

“Everyone has a Burger King, McDonalds, and even a Taco Bell!” Edger waved at the sign. “This is the only Makarovian Royal Burgers, isn’t it?”

“You guys came down about ten in the morning,” Peter smiled at them. “Are you ready for lunch?”

“Hell, yeah!” Pano grinned rubbing his stomach.

Barry was still looking around the passageways and was still amazed, “This is incredible!”

“This has been recent,” Peter acknowledged. “There were tunnels people took when it snowed so much in the Winter. The people now can move about the whole year.”

“We’re adding a train and tunnels to bring people to town, see a show, or just go shopping,” I said grinning. “I was here the last Christmas and these tunnels just brought Makarovia to life!”

“We don’t have that many cows in Makarovia!” Peter balked. “Where are they getting the ground beef?”

I pointed to the man in his upper thirties behind the counter. All the employees wore these uniforms of black and red, like the Makarovian flag. He wore a shirt and name tag that said he was in charge. “We’ll ask him!”

Those waiting to pick up and order or make an order looked as we walked up. The reactions were different with each one. Peter and I walked these passages before, so our appearance here wasn’t shocking. The advantage of having a smaller country was we had been seen and recognized before.

“Prince Eric!” A man grinned holding a boy close to him and the physical resemblance said the boy was his son. “Prince Peter! Hello!”

We both nodded and said hello back and Peter asked, “How long has this been here?”

The man behind the counter, whose name was Pylyp according to his name tag, smiled at us and answered, “A week, Sire.” He did a small bow and thumbed over his shoulder at the kitchen, “There are some new elements to work the kinks out of, but it’s running pretty well so far.”

I noticed many here speaking English and realized most were from the United States, England, or Canada. Young men and women in their teens or young adults who had a member of the family working for whatever country they were from. These young people wanted a job. The uniforms weren’t too far off from those that worked fast food in other places. The young men and women also wore those “lovely” hairnets to keep any hairs from what they were serving. There weren’t that many paper routes for a young person to work. Fast food was the answer. There was a crew of five people back there and I had to ask. “How many of you are here because a parent is in the military here?” Four of them raised their hands. I grinned, “So the one that didn’t raise her hand, you’re Makarovian?”

She nodded with a smile, “Narodjena i vikhovana, Vasa Vysokist!” It was in Makarovian, but her claim that she was born and raised in Makarovia was a testament to a work ethic I’ve never known Makarovians to be without.

“How did this come about?” Peter asked grinning as he asked Pylyp.

Pylyp’s left eye narrowed as he pointed at us, “That’s YOUR fault!” He grinned. “Lipa, my wife, works in the palace kitchens. She was there when you two had the lunch request. She helped prepare the meal and…” he shrugged, “I ran with it.”

“We don’t want to rush you,” I assured. “This IS the lunch rush…”

“Where do you get the ground beef!?” Peter asked. “We have only a few cattle farms!”

Pylyp nodded, “Yes, that would have been a problem. There are weekly deliveries to Makarovia from England and the United States.” He shrugged. “I inquired if a shipment of ground beef could be added to the already shipped beef. Olek approved, so did Generals Burke and Hammond. Right now, it’s pretty easy as the weather is good. The plane comes into Skoal and delivered in refrigerated containers. When it gets cold and snow and ice are the problems, the shipments will come in and be delivered by the train from Skoal,” he said quieter, “if it goes according to plan. The train should be running by October.”

I looked at the menu posted. “A meal for royalty.” I read. There was the King’s Burger, which was two hamburger patties with all the other items like tomatoes, lettuce, and onions. The Prince’s Burger with a single patty. The Prince’s American Burger with the cheese. There was also Princes recommended French Fries and Onion Rings. There were the other items, but mostly it was BEEF! “I love it!!”

Pylyp smiled, “We are opening another one in Skoal and hopefully in every city in Makarovia.”

I shook Peter lightly, “Makarovia is growing up!!”

We ordered and took our trays to a seating area next door. There were the usual catsup and mustard pumps to get them in small paper containers to eat. I also noted a Romanian condiment sauce labeled “hot paprika,” another was Hungarian Goulash sauce. The French Fries and Onion Rings that could be plainly salted, or more spicily sprinkled with the hot paprika and other spices. The hamburgers were juicy and delicious. Again, it was beef ground with the added spices from the Ukraine, Romania, and Hungary. All three of those countries had influenced Makarovian homes a lot. Now, it was in what we ate!

Pano used his napkin to wipe his chin, “This is wonderful.” He chewed and swallowed, “Now, Olek is married to Helga. Now.” To which Peter and I nodded. Pano went on, “It’s done. So…” he began working it out in his head, “This Proposal is not for THAT marriage. It’s to get the people of Makarovia to accept her as Queen.” Again, Peter and I nodded.

Barry shrugged, “Many countries have their leaders ranked by approval ratings. It IS possible for Helga to be rejected as Queen.” Again, Peter and I nodded. “Has anyone ever been rejected?”

I held a finger up, “Once.” I answered. “She was very shallow and narcissistic. The king had a wife, but she was never Queen.”

Peter smiled and took my hand, “Eric was so scared he’d be rejected.” He bumped my head gently. “That was ridiculous.”

“It’s more than a popularity contest,” Edger ventured.,

“You bet,” Peter swore. “I proposed to Eric to marry me, and he had to tell Makarovia what his plans were if we DID marry. For that following year he had to show them he was doing it.”

“I told them what my priorities were,” I shrugged. “Number one was Peter. I would be his support and be his partner in life. Number two was Makarovia, and I would do all things to improve conditions for Makarovia.”

“Which he did and is still doing!” Peter bragged. “He is making the mining conditions safe, and all of the safeties will be in place. He went through historical archives and had the many stories from those who fled during World War II to Makarovia and had them posted on our website. He spearheaded the website improvements and updates.”

“Helga will do the same thing,” my head wavered a little. “Yes, they married ahead of schedule. She is carrying the next Makarovian ruler. However, she is the Structural Engineer who got the nuclear power plants up and running to give the needed power. She helped bring them out of the darkness.” I shrugged. “I have no doubt she will become Queen.”

Barry nodded, “That seems a better way than to simply be a ruler because of birth. Those that rule because they are born to rule? Can they be fired?”

“Sure,” Peter nodded. “There was the French Revolution and the Russian Revolution…plenty of examples of kings and queens being fired and killed. That won’t happen here. Olek has proven his priority is Makarovia…” his head grudged a nod, “Well, now Helga is a bit more important, but he has shown the world Makarovia is just as important.”

I nodded, “Then his other family like Peter, Queen Alla, and me.”

Barry smiled, “This will be an exciting week!”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 22
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A great chapter, @R. Eric.  I am very glad to see this detailed update.

I am hoping that next is an update on Ark II, then another story, then Ark II, then Makarovia, then Ark II, then another story or two --  

Please, stay alive and keep writing for a LONG time!

And Is Cosmo getting dressed as well as the four visitors for the Proposal?

  • Love 4
Link to comment

As others have noted...thank you for this chapter and all I can say is we are all looking forward to more...please and thanks!!

  • Love 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..