Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,753 Words
  • 1,566 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Makarovia! Yes, I Know Where That is! Sophomore Year - 81. Cosmo

Okay, don't they know we can't go out? "We're having trouble connecting to the Internet." Really? But I got in. Whomever Daniel talked to up there helped me. I love you, Daniel.

Cosmo

 

Peter had been joking the whole evening, until now.

The things you know,” Peter said in a quieter voice. “It's impressive.”

Thank you,” I said, “As I said before, I remember topics and discussions of things that interest me.” I shrugged. “This life and any eternity would definitely be interesting.”

Peter nodded and chuckled, “I suppose it would be.” He looked at me cautiously. “I doubt.” He confessed. “Those years when I had those...” He waved a hand near his face, “things all over. I didn't believe at all.”

I nodded but waited. So, I asked, “And?”

Peter looked hesitantly, “I’m still not sure.”

I waited again, but he seemed frozen. Clearly, I was expected to react. “Peter, what magic is there in whether you do or don't believe?” I did a quick jester up pointed to the heavens. “Has the status of any God changed because of it?” I smiled and answered my question. "No. He is, or He isn't hasn't changed. He knows what I think. I'm honest with Him. I've said what I believe and my doubts, but I have to believe we're more than animals who know we're animals. I choose to believe.” I chuckled, “If he does exist, I'm covered. If he doesn't exist it doesn't matter.” I sat back a little, “Should I have said the marriage is over because you might not believe?”

Peter's eyes widened, “No!”

I took his hand, “Good. “ I kissed him gently. “Tell me briefly what you know about the origins of the universe.” I saw his eyes grow. “No specifics, just a generalization.”

Peter still looked a little shocked. “There was a large explosion billions of years ago…”

Stop right there,” I smiled, “Everything has a beginning. Who told you about this explosion? Or what it’s called in many countries, the Big Bang.”

No one person said that,” Peter explained, “It’s pretty accepted. Some of those really smart space guys said it.”

Space guys?” I repeated laughing. “Could you be a little more specific?”

Physicists, Astrophysicists, astronomers,” He said, “space guys like that.”

You know how much I love math,” I grinned.

Peter nodded immediately with a chuckle, “Yes, I do.”

No one saw it happen,” I said. “How do they know?”

Peter shrugged, “I assume they see the evidence and reasoned it out using rules to determine what the evidence means.”

You know how I feel about rules,” I saw his eyes roll. “They just make these rules up, right?”

No,” Peter stated, “They follow rules that are there!”

I nodded, “If you come to a structure with holes in it and some heavy good-sized round metals balls. What do you think happened?”

There was a conflict or war,” Peter said. “It was struck by cannon fire.”

"But it happened two hundred years prior." I reasoned, "No one alive saw it or even wrote it down. How do you know?"

Peter nodded, “I see the evidence.” He pointed at me. “There is evidence of the bang. I get it.”

What caused the bang?” I asked. “They say that was thirteen point seven billion years ago.” I raised my hands helplessly. “Not thirteen, not fourteen, but thirteen point seven," I shook the finger at him. "I'll go even further with it! What was there a billion years before the bang?"

No one knows that!” Peter blurted attracting some stares.

I patted his hand and looked at those stares, “He’ll be fine.” I got smiles and even a chuckle from Olek. I turned back at Peter. “We may not be the only bang, but one in a series of bangs and will continue after this universe ends." I sighed, "Some of those really smart space guys have theories, but does it matter? We won't even be a memory by then. Our solar system will be long gone before that. I don't know! Talk about beliefs; creating these trillions upon trillions of stars in the many countless galaxies. Something is in control."

Wow,” Peter said.

As I said,” I shrugged, “It doesn’t matter.” I kissed him lightly. I didn't think making out at the table would be wise. “Because I love you here and now."”

Peter smiled, “I know. I love you, too.”

I smiled, “I know.” I grinned, “It's about to become gooey and sticky philosophically.” I watched him grin back and roll his eyes away. “Just bear with me,” I asked with a pat on his chest. “Life is a journey. We all make choices on the path we take. That includes any spiritual journey you take. I choose one with hope. The outcome will be the same.”

Peter gave a nod, “Hum. You’re right. That was gooey and sticky.”

 

We got our phone call from Mikell. He texted us and we asked for ten minutes to go back to our rooms. Then the time was up, our computer and phones were beeping. I wondered if we could have a system like was on the Duchess. I'd have to ask.

The computer monitor came up and...I wasn't surprised, but I have to say I didn't expect images so...rough. Cosmo looked terrible. He'd been stabbed, so he would look terrible. Anyone who has been or had somebody in the hospital knows you recovered from injury, surgery and severe illness, but you get well at home. Cosmo was sitting up now. Hospital clothing was standard and he wore one of those unattractive gowns. He was unshaven and his beard was dark, except at the corners of his mouth, seeming to drip white in lines down to his chin and covered the bottom of his chin. The rest was dark hair. It gave him character. His hair had been washed, with soap. It looked scruffy.

Mikell had shaved but wasn't that well-groomed. He'd combed his hair, sometime earlier that morning. Hair hung loosely over his forehead giving him a more youthful appearance. I smiled, thinking of Mercea and sort of felt a little envy. Mikell was a good looking man. So was Mercea. The beginning of a relationship was almost magical. No, I wasn't exactly sexually interested in either of them. They were attractive and did what people did. They attract attention from others in their species. I'll also be honest and say men seemed to get better looking as they age. It's true! They do. Some may not know how to dress or groom themselves; they might be overweight and out of shape. Or! They don't consider it important and don't bother.

We're talking about the birds and the bees, and talking about birds, for example? The female is often dull and unattractive, while he has the fancy colored fathers and even does dances to impress her. She makes the decision to accept or reject him. Eggs are laid and I saw scientific evidence that the male, working hard to provide and not one of the eggs are his. The homely slut. Yes, genetic diversity and all that. The right one shook his tail feathers at me and here we are. The lion, the male kills and protects territory, but the female hunts... (I know, I'm doing it again.)

Where was I? Oh, yes, the most attractive in our species are men. I'm gay. Just a reminder. Like a fine wine as it ages or good cheese. Who am I kidding? The males of our species are beautiful at many times of life. I was looking forward to seeing how Peter would turn out in his thirties, forties, fifties, and sixties! He'll just get better looking. Olek was very handsome. I mean both of them. Olek the first had pictures with Mom. He was very good looking. Olek the second took much of those good looks and used them. Peter had them, too, but really took after his mother. The fair skin?

I suspect you're home,” Mikell smiled. He could wall of stone behind us and some furnishing.

We are,” Peter nodded. “I see they have you sitting up, Cosmo.”

He nodded scratching his ear and a hand over his hairy face, “I know I look like shit.” If I went without shaving more than a day or two, the itch drove me crazy.

I chuckled shaking my head, "You are so wrong. This is better than seeing you in a coffin. You've looked better and will again."

Mikell gestured with a jerk of his head at Cosmo. “They got him up today and had him walk about the floor.”

I nodded, but Peter looked concerned, “So soon?”

Sure,” I said and began counting off the reasons, “To improve circulation to prevent blood clots from forming and strokes, preventing congestion in the lungs. It even helps with digestion." I turned Peter's surprised expression and held my hand up, "I learned all that from experience with Dad, Grandpa, and Mom.”

Peter nodded and smiled sympathetically, but turned to the monitor, “Did you do well walking?”

"I walked like I was ninety years old," he answered, "I had to use a walker."

"They didn't want you to fall," I simply stated logically.

"It took fifteen minutes to go down the short hall," Cosmo complained.

Stiff muscles and joints?” I asked knowing the truth and he nodded. “There's another reason to get you up!”

Did they feed you?” Peter asked.

Cosmo huffed, “Not enough to fill a klop.”

I'd never heard or used it so I looked at Peter.

He means those little creatures,” Peter provided putting fingers to stick up and waved them, “Antennas? Komakha or pomylka.”

I knew the word for an insect.

He had a good amount at dinner,” Mikell stated.

And it was barely edible,” Cosmo grumbled.

That seemed to be universal, too. Hospital food was always complained about and the country didn't matter.

So,” I smiled, “do as instructed so you can come home. We promise to feed you.”

Did they give you a time frame?” Peter asked.

Mikell nodded, “They said a week to ten days.” He shrugged, “It could have been sooner, but...” He looked at Cosmo. “He could be released to family. Cosmo lives alone.”

Peter looked surprised, “And what are we?”

I nodded, “He needs a caregiver.”

I'll ask again,” Peter said. “What are we? Mikell has the authority to speak for Cosmo if Cosmo can't.” He smiled, “If possible, Cosmo can be released to us.”

I grinned, “Meaning he will stay here at the palace.” I nodded, “until you can live on your own.”

Cosmo frowned, “That's not neces...”

It is necessary!” I said firmly. “Even with a roommate you can fall or have complications. I will be one of those caregivers...”

So will I,” Peter added.

I'm sure Alec, Rolph, Merca, and Mikell will do it, too," I said. "We're a team and will remain a team."

And there's one other thing,” Mikell began and Cosmo said something I couldn't make out. Mikell turned to Cosmo, “They need to know everything, Cos.”

The shortened and casual way of saying Cosmo's name couldn't hide the serious tone about a serious subject.

Mikell nodded at what else Cosmo said, “Yes, but they need to be told.” He pointed at us on the screen. “When the doctors know for sure, we'll tell the other guys. Okay?” He turned and looked at the screen. “They suspect a partial interruption of the spinal nerve.”

But he walked,” Peter said waving at Cosmo. He waved at the screen, “His feet are moving. I can see them move under the sheet.”

Mikell nodded, “He did walk,” Mikell sighed, “with a lot of difficulties. The movement in his feet, most of the time, he isn't in control. They are waiting for the swelling to lessen and see if it clears up.”

He was stabbed in the front!” Peter said to reason it out.

I nodded, “But the length of that knife or sword was long. He was stabbed straight in, it could have damaged the spine.”

Mikell nodded, “He does have limited sensation in his legs and feet. The doctor said it was as if his brain, his computer, is trying to reboot the old connections. They hope with time and physical therapy he'll gain it back.”

There is no question about it,” I said. “You're coming here.”

Peter nodded, “We'll have Olek and Yuri call tomorrow. It will work out.”

I grinned, “And don't be thinking you'll have it easy at the palace.”

Peter nodded, “Not with Eric here.”

If they say two hours of therapy, you'll have two hours of therapy.” I smiled. “When they say how much exercise you need, you'll do it.”

Cosmo wouldn't look at us, but was smiling, “Thank you.”

No,” I said, “Thank you. You did it for us. They demanded someone tell them where we were and threatened others to get it. Many people should thank you.”

"We'll do what's needed to get you back," Peter promised.

After the conversation, I thought about what may have to do. The fact Cosmo had sensation in his feet told the connection wasn't severed.

Nerves don't heal, right?” Peter asked.

I shook my head, “No.” I looked at Peter, “This is the fun part.” That, you know, was sarcasm. Nothing about this situation was fun or funny. “He does have a connection from his brain to his feet. We will have to wait. His computer,” I tapped my head, “is trying to connect the connections it knows were there.” I shrugged, “No one can say tell us if there is a pinching of the spinal cord. If the swelling goes down and it is this pinch returns to normal, that would be great.” I said happily.

And if it's more?” Peter asked.

We do all we can to be sure he has every opportunity to get it back,” I said. “He did it for us. We're not abandoning him.”

Peter grinned, “I suppose you know the physical therapy needed.”

I shook my head, "Not really. I have seen some, but a therapist will know what needs to be concentrated on." I smiled, "In fact, I bet there may be a few in Edmond's and David's collective group. They brought...everything. They couldn't do without them." I turned to him. “I never asked this. What are the medical costs for Makarovians here?"

Peter's head did the back-up thing, "Costs?" He thought a second. "Really, there hasn't been much to do." He shrugged, "A person who becomes ill gets to a medical facility if they can. Injuries are usually dealt with on-site." He frowned again. "If it happens during isolation because of the weather..." he gave a reluctant one-sided shrug, "well, they often don't make it. People are often warned about the hazards of living alone.”

There are things that can't be guessed about,” I said, “Like apendystyt.” I lucked out using that word in Makarovian. It was the word for the appendix. I don't remember hearing it in Makarovian. I hadn't used it in Ukrainian or Russian. Most bodily parts and procedures were based in Latin. It paid off.

Sure,” Peter replied and looked at me a little smugly. “Didn't you know it can be treated without surgery? Most Makarovians know that.”

I rolled my eyes away and grunted, "Yes, but it's not easy. Intravenous fluids and antibiotics..."

"But we know it can," Peter grudgingly nodded, "It's dangerous and not always successful.” He paused as was about to explain, “I can't believe I'm telling you about a medical condition and treatment.” He looked at me. “You know what happens if it bursts.”

Infection,” I simply replied. “Those toxic fluids go in your abdomen and it gets infected.”

Yes,” Peter said firmly, “Now this one of the reasons why you shouldn't live alone. Whoever is with you has to make you drink water.” He waved, “I mean liters and liters of water. What remains of the time will be resting or walking around. That means about thirty liters a day.”

Ten gallons!?” I was confirming my math. “A day.” I saw Peter nod. “That leads to water poisoning or intoxication!”

Peter thought a moment and then nodded. “That does describe what you feel when you do it.”

"That can kill you!" I said.

Yes!” Peter nodded, “Water intoxication might kill you, but those toxins left untreated will kill you.” He grinned. “I bet you even know why.”

I grudged a nod, “It's not hard. That's pure science,” I said thinking, “That's a lot of water in a short period of time. The body can only hold a set amount. The kidneys stop working hard as the electrolytes can't carry it all.” I shrugged. “Pissing doesn't help the volume. The body can piss about a liter. The water has to go somewhere.” I smiled as the answer was coming to me. “It would be stored in the blood.”

Peter nodded again, "You get another A!" He grinned, "We refer to it as washing out."

Again, I gave a grudging nod, “That is what you want to do. It also was stored in the abdomen and intestines.”

You are getting washed,” he held his hands out helplessly, “from the inside.”

Then I sighed frustrated, "Fine, that's survival medicine, but that didn't answer the question." I leaned close to him my hands went down his chest, my left hand rested on his lower right side over his hip. Right over the spot. "I know your body better than I know my own. I have seen the appendectomy scar. That had to be in Makarovia." I stated. "You never left this room."

Peter's smile grew, “Not everyone has trouble getting help.” He chuckled, “Do you want to see the scar now?”

Sure!”

 

This time was different than the other times. There were many, many times and each one was over the top good. We often made love slowly, but not this time. This was the wham, whir, thank you, sir kind of sex. Leaving us satisfied and panting. I love all of them.

That...” Peter panted, “was incredible.”

I chuckled rolled so I could look in his eyes, “It was.” I hit the mattress. “I got used to a round bed.”

Peter chuckled. “I'm sure there is one somewhere.” He rolled us so he was on top. “I thought you liked this bed.”

I do!” I said, “I just got used to the other one. We're still breaking this one in.” I scowled at him, “Now, answer that question!”

"Oh, yeah, I never answered that," Peter said. "You know Mom went to some many countries for help with immunizations and even dental checkups."

I nodded.

"Most serious conditions are sent to Ukraine or elsewhere." There are a few doctors in Makarovia. All were general practitioners. “The equipment is a little dated. If they must go to a more sophisticated hospital, Makarovian picks up the cost.” He looked serious a moment. “General health is covered by taxes and they have appointments in the years.” He shrugged, “If someone needs a specialist, he or she goes to the Ukraine or Romania, even Hungary.”

Preventing illness,” I agreed, “There is no insurance.”

Not as such,”

I sighed, “Casualties in the mines when in the service.”

Peter nodded, “Medical coverage is the most expensive with taxes. Almost half of it is for that.”

"Universal healthcare.”

He nodded again. “No real expense. If you work here a while, you're covered by as you pay taxes.”

No newcomers with underlying conditions?” I asked.

Peter shook his head, “We don't really get them here. They won't get treated here.” He looked a bit sad. “There are flaws...”

"Stop it," I said. “When you were part of the Soviet Union, the cost was covered by the government.”

"True," Peter nodded.

Where was I going with this? Oh, yes, Cosmo. “Do you think Olek will object to having Cosmo here?”

Of course not!” Peter said quickly, “Cosmo can stay until he recovers and comes back to work. He was doing the job for us. All his expenses will be covered.”

I thought so," I said. "In the past, there were protest groups in the United States about a war in Viet Nam.” I frowned, “Men who obeyed the law when they were drafted. They booed when they came back and called names such as baby killers and murderers.” I shook my head, “We consequently learned a lesson and are ashamed for how we acted. By the time of Desert Storm we learned to be grateful and thanked the military for their sacrifice.” I looked off, “Where was I going with this?” Cosmo. “Right, Cosmo.”

Peter chuckled, “You have so much going on in that head of yours; it's miracle you can keep track of the thoughts!”

"He was injured doing a job for us," I shook my head, "not just for Makarovia or the King, but for us. Personally. We owe him.”

Peter nodded, “No arguments from me.”

Anybody in our military deserves to be treated with respect and care," I pushed. "The freedom we have to disagree and protest was hard-won."

I agree!”

We can make plans for the immediate future,” I said thinking. “He will be discharged to us. We can't plan too far ahead...”

Why not?"

We can't put the cart in front of the horse,” I replied.

An eye narrowed, “That was not a Southern proverb or thing.”

We imported that one from Europe and England!” I said tersely and plunged on. “We need to talk to Olek, Helga, Mom, and the house staff. If he recovers quickly, we'll be here. If he needs to learn to send those signals from his brain differently, he'll do it here.”

Peter's scowl grew, “Are you looking for an argument? I don't disagree!”

"I'll have to call Edmond and David," I said about our two Generals who were also friends. "We'll know more after Yuri and Olek speak with the medical team for Cosmo. We'll find out if there's a physical therapist here and if they can loan him until we learn what to do."

Peter's exaggerated look of patience added a clear and?

I shrugged, “Just getting an itinerary together for tomorrow.” I kissed him gently. “We'll be busy tonight.”

His expression told me he knew, but he asked, “Doing what?”

I love you, Peter,” I said.

His face softened, “I know. I love you.”

I know.” We had our wham, whir, thank you, sir sex before; maybe a few minutes ago. This time was slower, loving, but just loved as the other.

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 17
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Some nerves will repair themselves although the spine will make some repairs to itself it does take quite a while for that to happen. I’ve heard that a pinched spine will most likely repair itself within a year or so depending on how bad it’s pinched. Fantastic chapter I hope they can get the right people to help Cosmo and they can have him stay at the palace while he gets back on his feet and then hopefully he’s able to go back to work if he wants to. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
53 minutes ago, Butcher56 said:

Some nerves will repair themselves although the spine will make some repairs to itself it does take quite a while for that to happen. I’ve heard that a pinched spine will most likely repair itself within a year or so depending on how bad it’s pinched. Fantastic chapter I hope they can get the right people to help Cosmo and they can have him stay at the palace while he gets back on his feet and then hopefully he’s able to go back to work if he wants to. 

That's correct.  Brain cells once damaged are said never come back.  Sensory Nerves and Motor Nerves, and some that do both.  Autonomic Nerves keep what you don't control going.  Breathing and heart rates for example.  Sensory Nerves send messages about hard and soft, rough or smooth.   Motor Nerves are what it sounds like, raise your arm.  Yes, they can heal, but it takes time.  Brain cells can heal, too, but that takes a long, long time.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Are we sure that US English is your first language, Reric?
;–)

I would love to use that as an excuse for my spelling errors and mistakes in Grammar.  I ask you this, in my stories, Blueblood and North Meets South, how many Russian and East Europeans are in them?   I write about customs and traditions during weddings, holy days, and holidays.  Little things about behaviors, such as men never turn their asses to anyone when going down a row  of seats to go to the bathroom or get some popcorn at a theater.  I am like Eric Richards with a family history from England, Scotland, Germany, Russia, and East Europe.  Life is a writer's inspiration.  I had a lot of inspiration.  I'm a mutt with Europe, Great Britain,  East Europe, and Russia.   :P

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, R. Eric said:

I would love to use that as an excuse for my spelling errors and mistakes in Grammar. 

What’s your excuse for all the dropped/missing words? I’ve read that Japanese people watch for reactions as they speak and sometimes change the verb (or even omit the verb completely) to avoid offending the person they’re speaking to. It works in Japanese because it’s a SOV (Subject Object Verb) language where English is usually a SVO (Subject Verb Object) language. None of that seems to explain Reric-ese.
;–)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Outstanding chapter! Eric and Peter are making plans to care for Cosmo during his recovery and rehabilitation after the stabbing. Eric clearly has plans in mind to upgrade the health care system in Makarovia. With the plutonium mines upgrading healthcare, treatments and facilities should only be a matter of time. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..