Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 4,196 Words
  • 3,497 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Makarovia! Yes, I Know Where That is! Sophomore Year - 31. Chapter 31

Almost there, Daniel. I remember our wedding. I love you.

“It has to be them.” Peter said as Yuri began pacing. “They used the same tactics as last time.”

Yuri nodded. “It could be.” He turned to us. “It could also be a number of others from the Russians or Ukrainians...” He shook his head. “Until we have evidence, it's all speculation.” You could see his mind was going. “We need to get you three out of here and back to Boston.”

“Who was hurt?” Grandmother asked. “Those were some bad crashes. Do you know yet?”

Yuri shook his head. “Right now the local authorities are accessing the damage.”

Our attention was gotten by the knock on the door. The police officers that got us away were still here, but Yuri went to see who it was. He looked through the peephole carefully. Even so, he got his gun out and threw the door open and they all pointed their weapons at the opening. It was the two other cops that had gotten us away. They both held their hands up and backed away from the opening so the coast could be checked to see if it was clear. They came in and Yuri asked two officers to stand at the door in the corridor to be sure it would remain clear. Two of the motorcycle officers did that.

As fast as it happened, it slowed to a crawl after that waiting for some word about the attack.

“We need to tell Olek and Mom what just happened.” I said. “They shouldn't hear it over the news.”

Peter nodded. “I'll do a video link up with his phone using my android.” He was worrying how Olek would receive the news. The time difference here and Makarovia was only a few hours. Olek should be busy now doing his king stuff. Peter pulled up his contacts and touched the picture of Olek. It only rang a couple of times until Olek's real face came on the screen. The background told us he was in his office on his computer.

“What happened?” Olek asked immediately. We usually text before we call, but our call without that this time told him there was something more urgent if we called to video chat.

“First,” Peter began moving his android to show me, grandmother and Yuri. “We're fine. See?” He smiled at Olek. “You'll find out our vehicles were attacked a few minutes ago on the way to tape the TV show in London.”

Olek's eyes widened in surprise and then narrowed and his eyebrows came together in a mix of concern and anger. “You apparently are alright. Was anyone else hurt?”

“We don't know yet,” I told him. “We were pretty quickly rushed back to the hotel.”

“Good.” Olek nodded. “The appearance on the show was an important way of letting the international world we are still doing this and here. Any idea who was behind this?”

“Right now, we can only speculate.” Peter confessed. “They wore black, masks and it was very quick.”

“That's familiar.” Olek muttered and then smiled at us. “But you're okay. Yuri knows to give me a report.”

Yuri was right here and heard that. “He does.” He said loud enough to be heard. “I'll send what I have...when I have anything to send.”

“I said, I knew you would. I didn't ask for what I knew.” Olek defended and frowned. “I'm not making light of the situation...”

I grinned. “Humor makes tough situations easier.” I nodded.

Olek's face softened. “Right.” He touched the screen as if to touch us. Peter and I did the same to Olek. “Be safe. We'll talk again later.”

 

Yuri spoke to someone over his earpiece and microphone. Yuri told us there were deaths, mostly the attackers. There were two deaths with the police that protected us. There were injuries! Four were the men that were from our security behind us that had been in the SUV. Gunshot wounds, bones broken and lacerations...no questioning about bruising. The investigators were doing their job. Jon and Graham were unhurt, but were checked medically. They were in four explosions! The emergency crews there wanted to be sure. The security force we brought from Boston left uninjured came back to the hotel. Our police escorts were going to return for their debriefing and would resume their lives.

I rose from the couch and stopped them. “Before you go...”

Peter, knowing what I was doing, stood beside me. “Yes, I can not put into words how grateful we are to all of you for what you did.”

“Your quick actions saved our lives.” I added, but pointed at the officer that had driven. “And you...” I grinned, “that was some awesome driving skills you used today. It makes me wish for a less critical circumstance to ride with you again. It was thrilling!”

The officer chuckled. “I'll do it when you want to do that, My Lord.” He bowed slightly.

“We have friends in London,” Peter smiled putting his arm around me. “We'll be back.”

“Now a few more.” I pointed at them. “Thank you.” I said to them. Peter and I bowed to them.

 

It was an hour or so when we got another knock on the door. We had guards posted, so they had given clearance for whomever to knock. Yuri went to the door and opened revealing Jon, Graham Stuart and Graham Norton! Yuri motioned for them to enter.

“I am...” Graham Norton said. The sound of distress in his voice and expressed on his face. “...sorry about what happened.”

Peter nodded. “It was a tragedy. Please don't take any blame.”

“You invited us and we accepted,” I said. “What the attack was about we don't know yet. It wasn't because we were coming to your show.” I grinned coming over to him. “Personally, I insisted we come. I've loved you for a while!”

Norton grinned more at ease and his eyes twinkled. “I don't think you should express that too loud.” He stage whispered and looked back at Peter. “Some may not understand.”

Peter laughed lightly. “It's no secret. I love you, too.”

Norton didn't miss a beat, “Well, I wasn't ready for a threesome.” He said in his outrageous manner. His face showed he was kidding. I think. “Can we reschedule?” Sounding hopeful.

“We will be busy the next few weeks.” I confessed.

“We have midterms coming up and I guess you heard,” Peter chuckled. “We have a wedding to attend...”

Norton's eyes widened, “No! Really?” He sarcastically joked.

“Why don't you come?” Peter asked. “The BBC will be there with their equipment. You can do it in Stryia. Consider this an official invitation.” He looked at Jon and Stuart. “All of you.”

Norton nodded bowing slightly. “It would be an honor.”

Again there was a knock. Yuri opened it and Wayne and Drew came rushing in.

“Thank god!” Wayne said rushing toward us hugging Peter and then me. “You're not hurt.”

Drew looked around. “Where's Katrina?” He asked concerned.

Hugging Drew, I smiled. “She just had to lie down. It was an eventful morning. She's fine.”

“They must be friends of yours.” Norton chuckled at the brief mayhem that was happening. He waved at Drew. “Hello, Drew.”

They knew each other. They both worked for BBC. That was like saying you worked for any major network. They don't necessarily even see each other because of different studios and locations. They were in different areas of television, but knew each other. Just because they were both gay? No, there had to be another explanation. Drew wouldn't ever cheat on Wayne.

“Yes,” I said. “Drew caught my attention and we invited him to the Proposal. We've been friends ever since.” So, I asked. “How do you know each other?”

“Drew has interviewed me a few times about the fay, fag and fairy shit.” Norton grinned. He knew what Drew had been told.

“I did a show about media and the LGTB members that occupied roles in it.” Drew clarified. “Not just actors or entertainers, but producers, camera personnel...”

Norton nodded. “I saw the two shows he did on Makarovia. They were very good.”

“A third one is coming out soon explaining how Makarovia became what it is.” Drew said. “It will show some of the survivors that escaped during World War II. And I mean the homosexuals mostly.” He looked at me. “I hope to have it ready to air before the wedding.” He smiled. “My goal is to have everybody to wonder why they and their country isn't like Makarovia.”

Wayne nodded smiling. “It's a real tearjerker.” He said sadly. “Because it's true.” Then he smiled. “He has photographs and testimonials...no one who watches will have a dry eye.”

Drew looked at me. “I used some of Milo's and Bren's audio sessions.” He held his hand up. “Not all of it.” He chuckled. “I only had an hour to work with.”

I bounced at that. “Now their words will be here around the world!”

“Milo and Bren?” Norton asked. “I assume they were survivors?”

“Watch the show,” Drew said smiling. “You'll know who they were. It was tragic but a real love story.”

 

As well as things went for us after the attack, there were the questions from local and Great Britain's national authorities to get a better understanding of what happened. Yuri was questioned and gave them more information than we could give.

“There had to be someone who knew the route you would take.” One of the investigators said. “That accident just before you changed routes was not an accident.”

“Why do you say that?” Peter asked.

“There were no skid marks.” The partner of the first investigator answered. “The driver that hit three cars on the access to A40 disappeared.”

“They staged the accident to make us divert our course.” Yuri added understanding.

“The car that struck them did it in reverse, according to witnesses and the webcam on A40.” The first investigator said. “It was deliberate.”

“Were the drivers in those three cars hurt?” I asked.

“There were some injuries,” The second man reported. “Nothing fatal. Bruises and a broken leg and arms.”

“They had to know when we left the hotel and had to know ahead of time the route we would take.” Yuri said loud. “This was planned! They knew the route, when to stage the accident and knew the alternate route we would have to take. That was flawless timing. That bus and truck had to be ready to go to have it come off for what they wanted.”

The investigators nodded. “Someone told them.” The first said sadly.

“Who??” Yuri asked frustrated.

“It could be a number of sources,” the second man cautioned. “Anyone at the hotel, with the BBC or even...” he hesitated and said sadly, “one of us.” He was implicating the police as a possible source. “We have some of those that participated with the attack in custody. We are interrogating them now. We will find out.”

Peter groaned. “This is about the uranium.”

“No, Peter,” I disagreed. “It's more than that. We stopped them once. They can't let that go. It was about the uranium and money when they tried to get Penelope to have Olek seduced and marry her, then she tried to get pregnant by Olek. They failed. This isn't even about the money anymore. Their reputation is based in fear. We knew how evil they were hearing about that princess they kidnapped and cut her hand off to prove no one can resist. Now they have two failures to overcome or they lose some of that reputation.”

Yuri nodded. “The fact that they will harm like those innocents in those cars...that's frightening. This could get worse.” He sighed. “They'll prove to the world they will stop at nothing to get what they want. I'm contacting Olek to give him a report. I'm also asking for more security from Makarovia to serve in Boston.”

“He'll have to appoint more to guards the palace.” Peter said. “With all the strange faces going in and out it will be harder to protect them.”

“This Consortium is declaring war on Makarovia.” Grandmother said nodding.

 

We had dinner in the suite that night. The next morning we were taken to the airport. Now there were six police cars and ten motorcycle officers. Streets were again blocked ahead in advance, but traffic was held back in far more distance this time. The officers that blocked the intersections had rifles that they made sure the guns were clearly seen by everyone. England, again, was taking no chances.

The plane belonged to Makarovia and only landed that morning and waited in a secure hangar. No one was to approach it except for those cleared by Great Britain's government. Even the fuel truck driver and the truck was inspected and approved.

The men from Makarovia that had been injured would fly back separately when they were released.

The flight back wasn't bad, but I was glad to be home. Then I realized. I now felt like Boston was home! I knew I was smiling at that.

Entering the foyer, Boris saw us come in and waited as Yuri was getting us in. When Yuri turned and smiled at Boris, Boris couldn't contain himself any longer as he launched himself, hugging Yuri tightly.

I leaned toward Peter, “I'm glad we got the protocol about public displays taken care of.”

Peter laughed lightly. “I think even if we hadn't, Boris would be doing the very same thing.”

 

Don Wilson told us his phone had rung off the hook with calls from news affiliates, magazines and even the President and Prime Ministers.

 

Sitting in the same chair again and on Peter's computer we spoke with Olek again.

“I'm asking Yuri to get me the names of all the officers that assisted with the situation. I especially want the names of those that were killed.” Olek solemnly said. “I can't undo what happened, but their families need to know how appreciated their sacrifice was.”

“That will give them at least a little comfort.” I agreed.

Olek was thinking as he spoke with us. “Should I do more?” He looked at holding out his hands as he shrugged. “I don't know if they had wives or children. Should I set up an account for their children's college, future or something?”

“You could,” I admitted. “They were killed in the line of duty. I would think their departments had insurance to give that. I don't know. We can ask.”

Olek smiled. “I've gotten calls from their Prime Minister and the President. The Prime Minister apologized and the President asked if there was more she should do.”

Peter grinned and changed the direction of our discussion. “So, how is Helga?”

“She was concerned, but knowing you were fine...”

“No, Olek,” Peter laughed. “I should have asked more specifically, how are you and Helga?”

Olek suddenly grinned as he now understood. “Oh. We're fine.” He looked dreamily a second. “Beautiful, smart...” then frowned, “not to mention infuriating and stubborn!”

Peter moved closer to our screen. “You two are not breaking up!” Spoken like he would prevent that just because he didn't give permission for them to even consider that.

Olek's eyes widened in alarm. “What!? No!!” He shook his head. “”Oh, god no!”

“First, Olek, you said not to mention and then mentioned it.” I chuckled. “Second, she's your life partner,” I simply said. “That's what life partners do.” I grinned at Olek. “She's her own person and not afraid of you.”

Olek nodded. “No, she's not. It makes her exciting. If she disagrees with me, she doesn't hedge around to another idea like my advisors do. She comes right out and says I'm wrong.”

“The nerve of that woman,” I teased. “Good for her.”

“Wait,” Peter looked at me. “Do I infuriate you?”

“Of course,” I said instantly. “I know I do you.”

“When have I infuriated you?”

I rolled my eyes. “I don't keep track of them.” I tried to remember. “Oh, like when you take the blame for things that happened after we got together. Or when you needlessly doubt yourself. The time you forgot to kiss me...”

“I kissed you!” Peter defended.

“The first one was a peck!” I argued laughing. “I made you do it again.”

Olek was laughing at us. “Guys! Helga and I are fine.” Then he gave a slight odd smile. “But we may have to rethink our wedding traditions.”

“Why?” Peter asked.

“Helga wants to stop taking her birth control medicine.” Olek confessed but hurriedly said. “She's healthy and fine physically, but she said she'd feel better if she has the first one soon.”

“That makes sense.” I agreed. “She will be an older mother.”

Olek shrugged. “Hey, a lot of these traditions we follow were started because one of us had to compromise. The proposal and marriage in a year was so one of our grandfathers needed to get consent from her father.” He grinned. “We'll just alter it some.” He physically waved it off. “We'll talk about it later.”

“Okay,” Peter said. “Give our love to Helga and Mom.” We signed off. Peter looked at me. “I don't remember you ever making me mad.”

“I've never been mad or angry with you, baby.” I said smiling. “We've never really argue. We talk about everything. I know that sometimes that bothers you. You don't like it when I confront you asking you to tell me what you're feeling.” I leaned closer kissing him. “Those things I mentioned never made me angry or mad. Never at you.”

“Oh,” Peter said.

“We're fine.”

 

Going back to class was a little more complicated. Our security escort increased. I now had six escorts and Peter had six. To make things easier on the professors, we limited our escorts into class to two escorts. We were also allowed to do it online for a few courses. The other four guarded the doors to the class.

The BBC covered the incident in London the evening of and the day after the attack. CNN, Fox, CBS...all the news networks reported it briefly the day of and reported what the BBC got on national TV. Our names were never mentioned. We were an envoy from Makarovia No one at Northeastern questioned us about the increased security.

The midterms came and went. Once that was over we did have our Easter. Spring break passed us. The Eastern Orthodox Easter was after the Easter in the West. The Catholics and Eastern Orthodox use different calendars. The churches in the West use the Gregorian Calendar. The East orthodox use the Julian Calendar. The Royal Family didn't endorse any church or synagogue. They viewed that to be up to the individual to choose their beliefs. Mom, Olek and Peter went to church, like we did at Christmas to special events for the churches and synagogues. We really only had those two faiths. Well, there was a Russian Orthodox, but that was really Eastern Orthodox. They just didn't follow the Pope or the patriarch in Constantinople. They elected their own in Moscow. You have to understand that Makarovia is made up of people from Eastern Europe. I'm sure with the joint base in Makarovia there were chaplains of different faiths and denominations. We would have the Church of England for the British, Lutheran for the Germans, Baptists and Presbyterians! Those were the primary denominations of those countries mentioned.

The three that tried to get that bomb in the palace needed a mosque. If they went. I didn't see that many Makarovians going to one of those in the near future. Not that I saw anything against Islam. If that was your choice, that is between you and Allah.

 

The end of the semester was coming and our so were our finals. Grandmother wasn't alone all the time. She had her friend Carla Bowers over a few times. Carla had to come to grandmother. Yuri didn't want Katrina Sams taken while having lunch somewhere.

When the doorbell rang that first time Carla came Peter and I were sitting in the living room talking with grandmother and having our beloved coffees. Yuri knew who was coming and let grandmother open the door. Carla had not been here, but that house we used at first.

“This is unbelievable!” Carla gasped in a whisper as grandmother had to practically pull her friend in. Carla looked about the foyer. “It's beautiful!”

Grandmother nodded. “It is. It's sort of an embassy of Makarovia. King Olek has used it, but he also wanted to provide a safe place for Peter to go to school.”

Carla stopped. “I heard on the news that there was an attack on a Makarovian envoy in London.”

Grandmother nodded. “There was. They tried to get to Peter and Eric.”

Carla looked at us on the couch, but let out another gasp. “But there were no injuries to them, right?” She said walking closer to Peter and me. “They didn't say who it was they attacked, just that some of the guards from Makavoria was hurt.”

“No,” Grandmother replied. “We were gotten away quickly.”

Carla let out yet another gasp she tried to cover with her hands over her mouth. “Kat! Oh, my god!” She hugged my grandmother. “Kat!”

Grandmother patted her on the back as she assured Carla. “We're fine, but that's why I couldn't meet you anywhere but here.” Grandmother held Carla out a little. “The head of their security won't allow that until they find out who and figure out how to stop them.”

Carla hurried to me and Peter. “My god, Eric.” She hugged me and turned to Peter. “Peter!” She hugged Peter.

“We're alright.” Peter tried to sooth her, but chuckled lightly.

“And well protected,” I waved to Yuri who stood there until he knew it was safe. There were two security guards on either side of the door inside now. There were more outside. There were patrols about the grounds.

Yuri smiled and shook his head. “I'll be around if needed.” He said pleasantly. “Welcome again, Ms. Bowers.” He bowed slightly and walked down the hall to the kitchen.

 

The rest of the visit was pretty much grandmother and Carla. Peter and I used the excuse of needing to study to allow them some privacy. And to save us from having to politely sit there and enduring them.

Okay, we told them a white lie. We went to the kitchen to visit Boris. We really would study, but later in the day.

The visits after the first time Carla came often. She was shown the house by grandmother.

 

The new security arrived and I was surprised. I shouldn't have been, but I was used to all the large men. I saw three women in this group. They weren't large, but I knew they could kick ass when needed. They didn't look masculine, but had the look the men did. Those emotionless expressions, wearing all black. They were inside, but I just knew they had the dark glasses on them. The hair pulled back from the face just added to the don't fuck with me look.

 

Time was playing with my mind. The weeks of classes, papers and study seemed to merge in a blur. At the same time crawled when I thought about the wedding. Finals were at last upon us. I refused to cram.

“No, Peter,” I said when he suggested a night of cramming. “Review your notes, you know the material. Cramming just puts negative thoughts in your head and makes you doubt. You lose sleep and can't function well or think. We review and go to bed at a descent time.”

Peter's head went back a little as he frowned.

“Mark this occasion,” I grinned putting my arms around him. “This is one more time I am bothering you.”

“Well,” Peter smiled a little, but wasn't convinced, “yes. I don't feel confident with the subjects like you do.”

“What was the worst grade you got this semester?” I asked.

“I got a B minus in Sociology.” Peter confessed.

“What did you miss?”

“Racial Inequity and Public Policy.” He admitted. “I didn't give the professor what he wanted to see.”

“Just that once?” I asked.

“Yes, once I figured out how he wanted it, my grades went up.” Peter admitted. “About the applied research on collecting of data.”

I patted him on the chest. “You remember it now.”

“Sure.”

I raised my hands in concession. “If you want to study all night, be my guest, but you don't need to.”

Peter smirked. “Now you're bothering me because you're right.” Then he grinned. “After this we go to Makarovia.”

“And?”

“We get married and you become a prince.” Peter stated proudly.

“I'm excited by that,” I nodded. “About marrying you. The other just comes because of that.” I brought his face to mine. “I love you, Peter.”

“I know.” He smiled. “I love you, Eric.”

“I know.” I said kissing him gently.

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 26
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Amazing chapter. I’m glad that Peter, Eric, Katrina and Yuri weren’t hurt in the botched attack that someone planned while they were in London for the taping of the Graham Norton show. There were others who were injured including civilians as well as some of the security detail that was in the SUV behind the limousine that the guys were in with Katrina, Yuri the driver and two people from the show. I hope Peter and Eric do well on their finals and then everyone will go to Stryia for the next big event in their lives, the wedding and coronation. Thanks for the great story, I love every chapter I read.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

I guess describing the boys as envoys reduces the focus on them as individuals. At least if they appearance hadn’t been heavily promoted for Graham Norton’s show. Never having been to the UK, I don’t know how the show is advertised there. There will be plenty of other attention given to them as a couple in the future.

Where are Cap’n Jack and Torchwood when you need them?
;–)

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment

I love the intrigue mixed with the love story  The closeness of all the family members gives this story an intimate feel that pulls in the reader.  Thanks for continuing, Eric!

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Outstanding chapter! There’s an informant operating inside the inner circle passing information. The attack in London was a very close call. Who ever is behind the attacks isn’t likely to give up. With finals ending Peter and Eric will be returning to the Palace. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..