Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 2,971 Words
  • 3,524 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Makarovia! Yes, I Know Where That is! Sophomore Year - 30. Chapter 30

Here it is! Love you, Daniel!

We arrived in London and driven to the Savoy again. It was nice to feel a familiarity with this city. I knew where we were going! We were driven to the hotel and checked in. The following day was the taping of the show which would air in two weeks. The next day we'd return to Boston.

We were taken to the Royal Suite. It had been used for other visiting royalty, actors and dignitaries of all kinds. Security again was the reason. It could be well guarded.

“Oh, my.” Grandmother said entering the suite. Gaping at the ornate rooms. She had not traveled with us before.

The suite had one bedroom, but there was attached room with the door now open for her. The bellmen brought our luggage in the suite.

Peter smiled looking at his watch. “It's almost Tea Time. Olek has stayed here and he says Simpson's in the Strand does it well.”

“And that's where? Here?” I asked which Peter nodded.

“We also have a 9:30 reservation at Kasper's. That's here, as well.” Peter said.

“That's late.” I said.

“They eat late in most of Europe and England.” Peter shrugged. “That's why they have the Tea Time at four.”

“I know you wanted to get something here,” I reminded grandmother. “We don't really have time to do that, but we'll make the time before we leave.”

Grandmother was still looking around. She smiled and said. “Oh, that's alright. I have it covered.”

A bit surprised, I simply replied, “Oh.”

Grandmother came over and kissed my cheek. “Thank you for remembering.”

“Then,” I began, “you didn't have to make the trip this time. We'll only be gone three days.”

Grandmother's eyes grew. “And miss all this!?” She waved at the suite, “I don't think so.” Then her eyes softened as she drew closer to me. “I missed somethings, like Christmas with you this past year. It's just too cold in Makarovia for the old bones and muscles in Winter.” She rubbed her arms at the thought of it. “Why do you think I agreed to stay in Boston now? I don't want to miss a thing.”

“It gets cold in Boston, too.” I said. “You came in October, it was sort of cold even then.”

She nodded. “It does. For a few weeks. Makaorvia drops into the minus degrees for months. I can do it, but it eats into my joints and I'm just not comfortable.” She caressed my face. “I will promise to be there in Boston and Makarovia when its not so cold. Okay?” Patting Peter on the cheek and kissing it. “You two are beginning a new life together.” She looked at me. “A very important and exciting life for you, Eric. I want to see as much of that as I'm able.”

I hugged her. “We understand.”

 

The time difference wasn't that bad. It was later in England than the East Coast of the United States. While Wayne and Drew retired early when they arrived, we stayed up late. Those two joined us at Tea Time and Dinner. Because we were going to gone that short span of time, Boris had remained in Boston. Yuri was head of security and came to London with us.

It was in the morning was when we felt the time difference. For me in was the middle of the night when there was a knock on our door. It was the middle of the night in Boston.

Peter put a robe on and let Yuri in.

“You need to be ready in two hours,” Yuri instructed kindly. I heard the smile in his voice. “There will be a limousine here then, with two gentlemen from the show. Both are producers of the show.”

Peter nodded. “Fine. Can we get some coffee?” The sleepy tone was in Peter's voice.

Yuri chuckled. “It's on the way now.”

Peter nodded and kissed him on the cheek. “Bless you.”

“They can bring breakfast, too.” Yuri chuckled again.

“The important thing first.” Peter said patting him on the chest.

I didn't know how Yuri did it! Did he sleep? He was up, dressed and awake.

 

We did order breakfast and would shower after that. Grandmother joined us for breakfast eating a poached egg, some toast and drank some coffee. Peter and I had a bit more. I had never had fried mushrooms and hash browns. They were good! I was certain Boris could do them better. I'd have to ask.

Showering and putting suits on, we were ready at the given time.

So far, so good. With the knock on the door Yuri let two well dressed gentlemen in their fifties into the suite. They were both smiling as they entered.

Yuri spoke with them quietly. “I present to you Graham Stuart and Jon Magnusson.” He gestured to each. He smiled at the men. “Gentlemen, I present His Royal Highness Petro Ivanov and His Lordship Eric Richards, Earl of Stryia.” They both bowed.

“It's an honor to have you both here!” Graham Stuart said sticking his hand out. Peter and I shook them both.

“You are the first of any royal family to come to our show.” Jon Magnusson added.

“I've known about Graham Norton for years.” I said. “I like his outrageous comments.”

Peter nodded. “I saw him when I was in Makarovia. Some of his jokes might have to explained to me, but he is funny.” Peter's accent was almost gone now. It had just a light touch to English. “Come to think, the only people we've had interview us are part of the LGBT community.”

Jon nodded. “It makes sense, Your Highness.”

I shook my head as I smiled. “We are just Peter and Eric.”

“And we are Graham and Jon.” Jon nodded.

I frowned a little. “Two Grahams? How do you call each other?”

Graham chuckled. “They just do. They also use the initial of our last names we're together.”

Grandmother came in the room sighing as she had hurried. She ran her hand over thick white hair to see if she had any she didn't get put up. “I hope I wasn't holding you up.” She was in a nice dress of red.

“No,” Peter said. “We're fine.”

I grinned at her. “And this is the woman that danced on the world's many stages with the Bolshoi and the New York Ballet.” I said proudly. “This is Katrina Sams, my maternal grandmother.”

Graham's eyes widened. “You were with the Bolshoi!?”

“She was the star.” Peter clarified.

Jon shook his head. “We should include you!”
Grandmother shook her head firmly. “No. This is about my only surviving relative who is marrying the love of his life. Not me.”

“Well, I know there's a story there.” Jon said.

“This is about Eric and Peter and that amazing country he was raised in.” Stating it firmly “And the amazing people there.”

“Okay.” Yuri stepped up. “We, Katrina and I will ride with you. I would prefer one security ride in the front seat with the driver, but I will to give them room in the back.” He was in full security mode. “An SUV will follow with our security and will be with us. There will also be several police with us and six of your police on motorcycles.”

 

It was after the morning rush hour. It was good weather out with a lot of sunshine. I had gotten over the feeling I always had about driving on what I felt was the wrong side of the road. The motorcycle police did this leap frogging moves. Two when forward to block an intersection as we traveled through with no stopping. It wasn't that far, but it was across town. There was a highway that ran near the hotel to gain access to the highway. The group of vehicles stopped as the local police were now in a discussion with each other. Yuri was hearing something through his earpiece he didn't like.

“Then we'll take another route.” Kyle said forcing patience into his voice.

Jon sat forward in his seat. “Is there a problem?”

Yuri grimaced. “The access to the A40 has been blocked. There was a pretty bad accident that just occurred apparently.”

We could access the highway from another point. Maybe that was what we were doing because we veered off in another direction. We again were having the leap frog with the police. What I saw was the motorcycle police waving at something coming down the street he was blocking. The officer dove at the last minute as one of those double decked buses plowed through as we were approaching the intersection. It didn't hit us, but it did the police car in front of us knocking the car out of the lane, crushing the side of the police car. A large truck on the other side did the same plowing into the SUV behind us knocking it on its side to scrape out of the lane. The bus and truck were large enough to block the other police from getting to us. The bus was now being emptied by people in dark clothes and wearing hooded masks. I heard the rapid firing of guns ahead and behind with a couple of explosions. The bus and truck prevented us to see.

“We're secure!” The driver shouted in the excitement. “The glass is bulletproof and the metal reinforced!”

There were two of those dark clothed people approaching the limousine throwing something under us and dove away as two loud booms, with flames, burst from underneath. The explosions lifted the limousine off the pavement briefly before gravity pulled us crashing back down.

“Don't even try to open the doors! Their trying to get inside!” The driver shouted pointing at us and looked at Yuri. “This car's interior can withstand bomb blasts! They can't break through!”

The men on the side rose again and threw two more of those bombs underneath us. Again diving away there were two more blasts.

“How many blasts can this take before they can break through?” Yuri shouted with his gun in his hand. His handgun against rapid fire military guns!?

“Won't the car blow up?” Grandmother asked but not in a panic. She'd been chased by the KGB in the past, in a firefight in Peter's and my home in Boston. This was just one more event in her life.

“No,” the driver said shaking his head. “Gas could ignite and burn, but even if they managed that, the passenger portion of this car will remain intact, sealed and protect you from any blast or flames.” He looked at Yuri. “With the recent bombing in England from some extremists groups, we needed it for our political leaders and often the royal family.”

I felt a chill as I said, “The Consortium!”

Yuri nodded. “It could be. That Baldwin woman came from here.” He gave a shrugging nod. “But so were those three that wanted to make points with those terrorist groups when they tried to get a car bomb in the palace in Stryia last year.” He looked at the frantic chaos outside the car. “But what I'm seeing tells me it's the Consortium. They aren't using simple weapons. This is coordinated and well funded attack.”

Peter grunted. “Anything for a billion Euros.”

I grunted, too. “Or gain control of the uranium.”

“We don't know.” Yuri clarified and looked at the two producers. “Either way, whether to stop the wedding or extortion, Peter and Eric won't be on that show. Not today. We need to get them out of here. Now!”

All this happened in just a few seconds. Our attackers had on those thick bullet proof vests and padding. Regular city patrol people, bobbies, didn't carry guns. Normally, that was true, but this was an exception. They would when necessary. This time, they thought it was necessary. A member of that police was putting his head around the truck and fired at the attackers. The attackers numbers were growing for a few minutes, but were cut down quickly. Our security had not all been in the SUV. I saw a dark suited man as he fired his weapon. He was using the same tactic as they had in Boston. They weren't shooting to just maim or disarm. He aimed for the head...to kill.

Yuri had been watching and speaking to someone. He glanced at us. “....well, bring it around!” He looked at us. “There is the police car behind us, it's coming around.” Yuri said. “Do not open any door until I give the word.” He looked at the two producers. “Someone is coming for the two of you, but these three are a priority. They go now.”

Both men were nodding as they looked at the fast, chaotic frenzy happening. The screech of tires and sound of an engine sounded to our left. Now Yuri did open his door, closing it quickly and opening the right rear passenger door of the police car then tried our door, which at first wouldn't budge until our driver released it.

Rukhatysya!” Yuri ordered quickly and waved us to move.

Grandmother went first as she was closer to the door. She moved very quickly getting in the police car and slid to the other side. Then me, followed by Peter.

Yuri jumped in after us, squeezing us making four across. It was tight. “GO!!!” Yuri shouted.

The sirens were blaring as we shot off, in reverse, to go around the truck behind us. The two officers in the front seat had come from that direction, so they knew what was there. We did sideswipe a couple of cars, but the driver didn't slow down. Bullets hit the car making a thudding noise. There were a few that hit the front windshield and door windows. Yuri pushed all of us down to keep our heads from a bullet. Unlike many movies, there were holes, but the glass didn't shatter. The policeman driving turned the wheel radically making the car tires squeal as it spun around. Slammed the car into drive, the car shot forward. It was a one way street and we were going in the opposite the direction we were supposed to. There were a few cars that had come down the street behind us, but he steered around them, going onto the now abandoned sidewalk. Hitting the occasional garbage can and street sign posting. Four of the six motorcycle police wove through the traffic and caught up. At the intersection they turned down a street going the correct way as all of their sirens blared. I will admit, the people of London pulled over quickly unlike some I had witnessed in the United States. I was told, if they didn't, they could get fined! Pretty stiffly from what I heard. From the many street cams and patrol cams now, if it showed any refusal or even indecision by the driver they could even get jail time for obstruction of the law. Getting flustered was no excuse. Rapid turns was all that told me what was happening. That and the high pressure on the engine right now which was a loud hum. The sound changed as those noises were being reverberated back telling me it was a garage. The squeal of the tires to stop was heard. Yuri got out quickly as did the other officer from he front seat, opening both back doors.

“Idy, idy, ydy!” Yuri shouted at us and the officer shouted, “Go, go, go!” Which I don't have to tell you were the same word.

Getting out we saw that one of the motorcycle patrolmen had come ahead and called the elevator and was holding it open waving us toward it. In an emergency an elevator alarm would sound from not being able to shut it's doors. This one was going off. It was an emergency. Yuri was hurrying grandmother and us as we rushed in the elevator with three more officers. The doors finally were allowed to close making the alarm stop.

There were four elevators in the hotel, but we did stop on the ground floor to allow two other hotel guests on. Try as Yuri might, pressing the “close door” button they opened anyway. The man and woman looked startled as they saw us with four police officers, Yuri with his gun still out and the three of us.

“Next car!” Yuri said with hurried intensity as the doors shut again.

This time we made it to our floor where Yuri was again hurrying us to our suite. Using the key card he opened the door. Holding us at the entrance and shutting the door. Yuri ordered the officers to check the rooms, in closets, under the beds...no place anyone could hide. He wasn't taking any chances. The four officers did a quick but thorough search. We heard the various voices announce “clear” as they went. They soon returned and told Yuri there was no one hidden.

Yuri let a sizable sigh of relief out and allowed himself to breath again. “Thank you.” He looked at grandmother, Peter and me. “Okay, you can breath again for now. Try to relax, but stay away from the windows.”

Peter pulled me close in a hug and kissed me in love and gratitude we were alright. Then he pulled grandmother in the hug.

As we went to sit on the couch, I looked at grandmother. “I think you could have missed this and stayed home.”

Grandmother chuckled. “I been through things like this before. I wouldn't have missed it.” Her smile faded. “I just hope there were no deaths for those protecting us.”

Peter and I nodded flopping back as the adrenaline rush was going away.

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 14
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 12
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Angry 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It had been so long, I had forgotten about the Consortium!
;–)

Maybe Graham’s people can set up a remote from the hotel so they can at least get the interview – with the bonus of Katrina sitting in! I’ve only seen one or two of his shows, so I don’t know how he handles these sorts of situations. Maybe BBC can send a certain someone to interview them for the evening news.
;–)

  • Wow 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Wesley8890 said:

Holy cow! I didn't see that coming!!!

I did ! When Yury told that an accident just happened i knew it. Quite a ride!

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Canuk said:

Not how Graham works. He doesn't interview people as much as set them up to talk, among other guests as much as with him. Also after that dramatic an attempt on their lives I am not sure it would make good teev. 

They do seem to attract problems, our pair of lovers. Poor granny...way too much stress and anxiety!

Yup try googling Graham Norton live at the round house & if it's there you'll see him at his most outrageous!! This a live stage show in front of a live audience that was fimed & then released as a dvd He defo sets people up!! He did me that Night! In my defence a neck brace & several pints of beer didn't help !!!! Lol

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment

Thank you, thank you thank you!!!  I love this story and I am glad you are finally able to continue it!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Damn! I forgot that you can write a great action scene. A threat or event yeah, but to put your characters in the thick of it takes talent. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Excellent chapter! You’ve managed to get my adrenaline pumping! The detail and emotional depth of this chapter had me feeling everything these amazing characters did. I’m going to need a little time to get my heart rate back to normal. The consortium has reappeared with a vengeance. Yuri will probably insist on going directly to the Palace in Makarovia to ensure that security is tight and no harm can befall the Royal couple. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 🤬❤️

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

If I were you, I wouldn't worry to much about how Grandma would react to all this excitement – after all  she was a dancer in the Russian ballet – this might be just a routine amount od excitement for her!

Link to comment

What an exciting chapter!!! Once again Grandma Katrina kicks butt!! I love that woman, she is just a joy to read about!!! Wonderful  job on this one!!! 

Huge Hugs

Charlie

Link to comment

Great chapter exiting. We know that this consortium will never stop. A normal grandmother would be terrified but not this one I think she loved it  😊. No tv.show today. What would the Englisch Royals will say when they hear of this??

 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..