Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 14. Chapter Fourteen

Prompt: "where there's a will, there's a way"

“This sucks.” Mark flopped back onto his bed clad only in his jeans, his gaze raking over Trey’s bare chest.

“I know, but it is what it is.” Trey pulled his t-shirt on before sitting on the bed and pulling on his socks. “You know I’d stay if I could.”

“Yeah, I know.” Mark did know. Trey occasionally stayed the night during the week, but for the most part, their sleepovers were confined to the weekends, when Trey didn’t typically need to be on base in the mornings.

“We still on for dinner tomorrow night?”

“Of course.” Mark forced a smile. They still planned to get together as much as possible throughout the week, but it still sucked. He had kind of gotten used to spending all day and all night with Trey. He was actually surprised at how quickly he’d gotten used to waking up next to Trey. Mark sat up and slid his hand under the back of Trey’s shirt, caressing the warm skin. “Wanna eat in or go out somewhere?”

“You actually expect me to think when you’re touching me?” Trey shivered as Mark slid his hand around him. “What was the question again?”

Mark chuckled and leaned in closer to press a kiss against the side of Trey’s neck. “Tomorrow night. Eat in or go out?”

“Being out in public or having you all to myself?” Trey turned his head and brought their lips together briefly. “Eat in, definitely.”

“Perfect, I’ll get us a couple of steaks.” Mark reluctantly moved away and offered a hand to Trey to pull him up from the bed. They needed to get out of the bedroom before Mark stripped Trey again and they found themselves back in bed. Not that Mark would complain, but he knew Trey needed to get back to base.

“What are you going to do tomorrow?” Trey followed him out of the bedroom and settled on the couch.

“Not sure. Was thinking about going to the VA and checking into my G.I. Bill; find out exactly what I need to do if I wanted to go to school and what all expenses they’ll cover.” Mark had given it some thought and since he still didn’t know what he wanted to do job wise, school seemed his best course of action. It also had the advantage of helping to keep him busy for the majority of the time that Trey would be gone overseas.

“That’s awesome. Have you decided what you’re going to focus on?” Trey’s enthusiasm was contagious and Mark immediately felt a little surer about the idea of going back to school.

“Honestly, I’m not sure.” It wasn’t that he didn’t have ideas, he did, he just wasn’t sure what would be the best degree to focus on. “Figure I’ll go talk to the VA and then start checking into some of the different degree programs, see if anything jumps out at me.”

“Sounds like you’re getting it figured out.” Trey leaned over and grabbed his shoes from where they were slid under the coffee table and stuffed his feet into them.

“I’ve gotta have something to keep me busy while you’re gone.” Something other than worry about Trey, but he didn’t say that part out loud. Besides, Mark figured it went without actually saying.

“I know, and I’m glad that you decided to go to school. Maybe when I get back I’ll join you.” Trey twisted on the couch until they were facing each other.

“Does that mean what I think it means?” Mark seriously hoped it did. He’d tried not to think about what would happen if Trey re-enlisted, but his mind still went there occasionally.

“I’m not sure yet, but it’s something I’ve been thinking about.” Trey sighed. “I was actually thinking maybe we could talk about it tomorrow night, if you don’t mind. I know that when we go to my parents next week they’ll be asking me if I’ve made a decision. It would be nice to have an answer for them.”

It would be nice to have an answer for Jackie as well. If Trey decided not to re-enlist then Jackie would maybe be a little bit warmer than she had been; once she knew that Trey wasn’t going to be taking Mark half-way across the country. Not that they were to that point yet, but Mark hoped they would be. They still had the next year to get through and a year apart, especially after so little time together, would be rough, but just the fact that Trey wanted to discuss it with him proved that Trey saw a possible future for them.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way. He’d repeated that phrase in his mind so many times over the last few days that it had become his mantra. Trey was looking at him, a slight frown marring his lips, and it dawned on Mark that he was waiting for a reply.

“We can definitely talk about it.” Mark didn’t know what else to add and was relieved when the frown disappeared to be replaced by a smile.

“Great. It will be nice not having this hanging over our heads for the next couple of weeks.” Trey got to his feet. “Guess I’ve put it off as long as I can, I should probably get back to base.”

“Just let me grab a shirt and I’ll walk out with you.” Mark stood but before he could head back into the bedroom Trey grabbed him and pulled him into his arms and kissed him. When they broke apart Mark had to remind himself exactly why Trey had to leave.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” Trey dropped one last kiss on his lips and disappeared out the front door before Mark could even form the words to tell him goodnight.

Prompt: "where there's a will, there's a way"
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

School seems the best option for Mark. Hopefully Trey will come back in one piece and he can register for classes also.

 

It will also be good for Mark to have something to focus on other than missing Trey. After all, Trey will be overseas and busy doing whatever it is they make him do (hopefully staying alive). Mark will be the one back home, with nothing to do but think and overthink, and feel insecure, etc. It'll be much better if he has something like school and homework to concentrate on. Maybe a part-time job also...

Link to comment
On 11/11/2013 05:05 AM, Lisa said:
School seems the best option for Mark. Hopefully Trey will come back in one piece and he can register for classes also.

 

It will also be good for Mark to have something to focus on other than missing Trey. After all, Trey will be overseas and busy doing whatever it is they make him do (hopefully staying alive). Mark will be the one back home, with nothing to do but think and overthink, and feel insecure, etc. It'll be much better if he has something like school and homework to concentrate on. Maybe a part-time job also...

Mark definitely needs something to help him stay busy while Trey is gone. It still won't be easy, but it will at least give him something to focus on other than what is going on with Trey. Though I'm sure he'll have that on his mind quite a bit as well. He will definitely have a lot of time to think, and over-think... Thanks for the review Lisa!!!!
Link to comment

Ok, so one observation I noticed here. I'm not sure how you are writing the story, if I am to take a stab in the dark, I'd guess each chapter is written with a delay between the two.

The reason I make this observation is that when you read each chapter in quick succession as you would in a book, and not in a weekly instalment, the basic underlying plot is mentioned in every chapter. This can lead to overkill in terms of the stated fact.

While in a more detailed and longer chapter you might get away with this, by focusing in on the word limit as you've set yourself to do, it does stand out a little bolder and the repetitiveness is more obvious. Hope you don't mind an ikle bit of constructive criticism hon.

So now on to the detail of the chapter. I'd say that Trey's desire to have an answer, and his willingness to discuss his options with Mark is a firm indicator of his willingness to commitment to something substantial with Mark. However, at this point in time it is supposition as to what he might be thinking, or what decision he may want to make. A career solider would naturally want to re-enlist. But then love is a powerful motivator.

So the big question is...... Are they in love yet????

:P

Link to comment
On 07/16/2014 03:02 PM, Yettie One said:
Ok, so one observation I noticed here. I'm not sure how you are writing the story, if I am to take a stab in the dark, I'd guess each chapter is written with a delay between the two.

The reason I make this observation is that when you read each chapter in quick succession as you would in a book, and not in a weekly instalment, the basic underlying plot is mentioned in every chapter. This can lead to overkill in terms of the stated fact.

While in a more detailed and longer chapter you might get away with this, by focusing in on the word limit as you've set yourself to do, it does stand out a little bolder and the repetitiveness is more obvious. Hope you don't mind an ikle bit of constructive criticism hon.

So now on to the detail of the chapter. I'd say that Trey's desire to have an answer, and his willingness to discuss his options with Mark is a firm indicator of his willingness to commitment to something substantial with Mark. However, at this point in time it is supposition as to what he might be thinking, or what decision he may want to make. A career solider would naturally want to re-enlist. But then love is a powerful motivator.

So the big question is...... Are they in love yet????

:P

I never mind constructive criticism :) and I hadn't realized I was doing that. OOPSIE. That will be a good thing to look at if I ever look at eBooking this story. I don't have any plans to at this point, but that will be something I'd have to look for if I did. Now, onto the rest of your review :)

 

I think it helps that Mark has already had to make that decision, but also it shows how much Trey already values Mark's opinion. I do agree that it's a firm indication of his desire to build something with Mark. As to the question of whether or not they're in love yet... only future chapters can answer that question :D

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..