Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 49. Chapter Forty-Nine

“I can’t believe it’s only been three months.” Trey raked his fingers through his short hair. “How the hell are we going to survive another nine months of this?”

“We’ll do it because we have to.” Mark wanted to be encouraging, but the three months Trey had been gone had been tough. For both of them. He still hadn’t heard directly from Jackie, but after everything Brent had told him, it was probably just as well. “Just keep reminding yourself that once you’re done over there, you’re on your way to an honorable discharge.”

“Yeah, there is that.” Trey glanced over his shoulder and waved at someone presumably behind him. “I’m just ready to come home.”

“We’re all ready for you to be home.” Mark studied Trey’s face. He loved the fact that they could talk via web cam, but he worried over how tired Trey looked. “Are you doing okay?”

“As good as I can be.” Trey slumped further into his chair. “I’m starting to run out of a few things though.”

“Email me a list of what you need and I’ll get it sent within the next day or two.” They’d figured out that was the best way to put together a care package. There was no sense in sending a bunch of stuff that Trey didn’t need. That didn’t mean that Mark never put extra stuff in, but at least he could be confident he’d sent the necessities.

“Sounds good. Anything new going on there?”

“Not really. Brent’s divorce is all but final. He’ll be closing on the house on Friday and as soon as that’s done, he has an appointment with Jackie and the lawyers for her to sign the paperwork relinquishing all rights to Matthew.” Mark shook his head. He couldn’t understand Jackie not wanting anything to do with her son, but had reasoned that it was probably for the best. He hoped to have everything packed up and ready to go when Brent brought Matthew to him.

His brother-in-law still wanted him to take Matthew when he left. After everything was signed, Brent would drive up, spend a couple days, and then would be staying in Mark’s apartment until he figured something else out. He didn’t want to think about Brent and his sister and turned his focus to things that didn’t give him a headache.

“I talked to Mom and Dad yesterday, and they seem to be getting by okay.”

“That’s what they keep telling me too, but a part of me doesn’t really believe them.” Trey rubbed a hand over his face. “I’ll feel so much better once you’re there to keep an eye on them.”

Mark looked at the boxes strewn around his small apartment. Most of his stuff was already in the trailer he’d rented for the trip up to Gary and Diane’s, but there were still a few odds and ends, and his bed. He felt weird about moving before Trey got home, but he understood Trey’s need to have someone there to help out his parents, and it was perfect timing so Brent could move in. “You know, Dad keeps telling me that they’ll be fine if I want to wait until you get back.”

“I know, he said the same thing to me.” Trey grinned. “I think I finally convinced him it’s for the best.”

“Oh really.” Mark smirked. “And how the hell did you manage that?”

“Well, I may have reminded him that you moving up there will help you out just as much as them.” Trey chuckled and shrugged his shoulders. “It probably didn’t hurt when I reminded him that if you stay in your apartment you were going to have to find a job soon, one that you’d have to quit down the road in order to move. I think I have him convinced now. He told me the cabin is ready for you whenever you get there.”

“Good, because I really don’t like arguing it with him.” Which he’d done countless times since Trey had talked to him about it. He’d already planned to make trips up there to work on the cabin he’d be moving into with Trey, but it made sense for him to just stay up there. “I hope he didn’t tackle too much. That’s part of the reason I’m moving up there, to get it ready and to help him and Mom out when they need it.”

“I know, and I realize that moving before I get home is probably awkward for you.” Trey gave him a tender smile. “I know you’re primarily doing it for me, so that I don’t worry as much. It just makes me love you that much more.”

“The most important thing is for you to get home safe and sound. That’s tougher if you’re worrying about what’s going on here.” Mark wished, not for the first time, that Trey was actually there with him. He wanted to hold his boyfriend and assure him that everything would be fine. He’d be able to, in time, but it couldn’t come fast enough for him. “Besides, hopefully when you get home, there won’t be much left to do. Are you still scheduled for R and R halfway through?”

“Last I knew, but things are changing constantly, so who knows.” Trey frowned and looked around. “I can definitely tell you that after only three months, I’m ready for it. If I never hear or see another mortar attack, it will be too soon.”

“Oh, that makes me feel so much better.” Mark noted the lack of anything on Trey’s head. “Shouldn’t you be wearing your helmet, at the very least?”

“Probably.” Trey reached to the side and held up the helmet in question. “I have it close so that if the alarms go off, I can quickly put it on. It’s been fairly quiet today, but that doesn’t mean much.”

“A case of you not knowing if it’s the calm before the storm?” Mark could see people walking past every once in a while, but no one seemed to be in any big hurry.

“Pretty much. We’ve had at least one or two mortar attacks per day, but it’s been quiet today. Makes me a bit nervous.”

And it also explained why Trey looked so tired. Mark understood how nerves could keep someone from sleeping. Well, nerves and sirens. He remembered how he needed to be alert all the time and how hard it was when sleep was constantly interrupted.

“You look tired.” Mark didn’t know why he felt the need to point it out.

“I am. I’m just not sleeping very well.” Trey huffed out a breath. “I’ll need to try and get at least a few hours before I go on watch.”

“I should probably let you hit your rack then.” Mark knew he needed to, but he didn’t want to. It would probably be at least a few days before he got to talk to Trey again. Like every other time they video chatted, he had a hard time actually signing off. Even though he knew he needed to.

Trey made no move to sign off. “I’ve got a few more minutes.”

As if to refute Trey’s assurance, Mark suddenly heard sirens going off in the background. Trey jerked his head around as people started rushing by.

“Fuck!” Trey looked back at the camera and Mark could see the fear in his eyes. “Love you, but gotta go. Another mortar—“

“Trey!” Mark cried out as the call suddenly ended.

I hated doing a time jump, but felt it was necessary to keep the story moving along and not do the same thing over and over again. Hopefully you enjoyed the chapter and I always welcome likes and reviews!!!
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Just when I was thinking what a sweet couple they are, the sirens went off, and of course you left me wondering what'll happen to Trey :/ I hope he'll be fine :unsure:

Link to comment

Another chapter that left me more worried than ever. I hope those who have never been in service or had a close family member serve are starting to realize just how gut wrenching it is....

Link to comment
On 12/22/2015 03:38 AM, LadyDe said:

YOU LEFT US WITH A CLIFFIE!!!!!!!! :o Mean, Renee, that's just plain mean! :angry:

Thanks for the review! And while I don't do cliffhangers, I'll admit it was just a little bit mean, but I promise the next chapter will be out soon.

Link to comment
On 12/22/2015 11:10 AM, Morgana_lefay said:

I just have to agree with LadyDe, this was just evil. :( Hope to see next chapter soon. :)

Thanks for the review! And it might have been just a little bit evil but it would be even more so if I made you wait for the new chapter. *Evil laugh*

Link to comment
On 12/22/2015 03:29 AM, Daddydavek said:

Another chapter that left me more worried than ever. I hope those who have never been in service or had a close family member serve are starting to realize just how gut wrenching it is....

Thanks for the review, DDK! It is definitely gut wrenching, and I really hope to capture the true feelings that friends and family feel when their loved ones are deployed in a war zone.

Link to comment
On 12/22/2015 01:40 AM, Suvitar said:

Just when I was thinking what a sweet couple they are, the sirens went off, and of course you left me wondering what'll happen to Trey :/ I hope he'll be fine :unsure:

Thanks for the review, Suvitar. They are a sweet couple, and while I'd like to be able to tell you what happens next, I simply cannot, as that would give too much away.

Link to comment

Thank GOD I never saw this when you first posted it, and I didn't have a new chapter to read right after! lol Shit, bad, bad Renee, leaving us with such a horrible cliffie! :yes:

 

I'm praying Trey's ok, as I'm clicking on the next chapter.

Link to comment

I finally got back to the story, and this is what you do to me? Yikes. Thank God I waited... I like the time jump though, unless there is something wrong with Trey... in which case... well, I better go see... great chapter, Renee... thanks and cheers... Gary....

Link to comment
On 01/16/2016 06:39 PM, Headstall said:

I finally got back to the story, and this is what you do to me? Yikes. Thank God I waited... I like the time jump though, unless there is something wrong with Trey... in which case... well, I better go see... great chapter, Renee... thanks and cheers... Gary....

LOL... I'm glad you enjoyed the time jump... as least maybe. I really didn't want to do a day by day of the time Trey is gone. No sense in drawing things out any longer than necessary, right? Thanks for the review, Gary!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..