Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 29. Chapter Twenty-Nine

Prompt: have a character sit in a swing

“Gary told me what you’re planning to do for us and Trey.”

Mark had been so busy watching Trey and his dad prep the fire pit he hadn’t even heard Diane come up next to him and nearly dropped the beer he was holding. He turned and smiled at her.

“Hi Diane.”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you.” Diane sat next to him on the porch swing. “Just the fact that Trey brought you up here to meet us told me that he loved you. Gary kept saying that you two hadn’t known each other long enough, but I disagree. You agreeing to go to school up here tells me that you feel the same way.”

“I do.” Mark smiled as he thought about them exchanging the words for the first time. He was actually glad that it had happened the way it had. Nothing was forced; it had seemed natural and right.

“You don’t know how much it means to us that you’re willing to do that.”

Mark looked over and saw her reach up to wipe away a tear. He slipped an arm around Diane’s shoulders and pulled her to him in a one armed hug. He hadn’t expected her to slip her arms around him and bury her face against his shoulder. Nor did he expect her quiet sobs, but that’s what happened.

“Hey, it’s okay.” He set his beer down, trying not to jostle her too much. It was awkward, but he managed. He wasn’t sure what had brought on the tears, but something told him it was more than him being willing to move so that Trey could be closer to them. He wrapped both arms around Diane and ran his hands soothingly over her back. After a couple minutes she pulled away and wiped her eyes.

“I’m sorry.” Diane looked up at him and tried to smile, but her chin wobbled.

“You don’t have to be sorry.” He wanted to ask if she was okay, but it sounded like kind of a dumb question. It was kind of obvious that she wasn’t. She looked away and he followed her gaze to where Trey hunkered down by the fire pit.

“I don’t want him to go.” Her voice was barely more than a whisper. “Each day it gets closer and closer and I’m so afraid.”

Mark sighed. He didn’t want Trey to go either. He knew what could happen, had seen it himself, but he couldn’t tell Diane that. She needed him to reassure her, not add to her worries.

“I don’t want him to go either, but he’s going to. He wouldn’t be the Trey we both know and love if he didn’t.”

Trey picked that moment to stand and look towards the house. He tilted his head a bit and studied them for a minute before starting towards them.

Mark turned to face Diane and waited for her to look at him.

“He’ll be okay, we have to believe that.”

Diane nodded and stood before Trey got to them. Mark wasn’t sure, but he guessed that she didn’t want Trey to know how much his leaving was affecting her. He knew how she felt, he hadn’t quite told Trey how worried he was either.

“Everything okay?” Trey took the spot his mom had sat in only moments before and laced their fingers together.

“Yeah, why do you ask?” It wasn’t his place to tell Trey about Diane’s worries.

“Just wondering why my mom disappeared as soon as I came over.”

“You’d have to ask her.” Mark squeezed Trey’s hand. “In fact, why don’t I help your dad with the fire pit and you can go have some one on one time with your mom? You guys haven’t really had any time just the two of you since we got here.”

It wouldn’t make her worry any less, but at the very least it would give her some much needed time with her son.

“You sure?” Trey looked across the yard.

Mark followed Trey’s gaze and saw Gary crouched by the fire pit.

“Yeah, I’m sure. Besides, it’ll give me some time to talk to your dad.” He didn’t know what he was going to say to the other man, but he’d figure something out.

“Okay.” Trey didn’t sound convinced but stood. He leaned down and brushed a kiss on Mark’s lips before going inside.

Since he’d told Trey he would help, Mark stood and walked over to where Gary was currently moving logs around in the fire pit. He wasn’t sure what help he’d be, but he’d try.

“Anything I can do to help?”

“Think we’re good for the moment.” Gary stood and looked back at the house. “Where’d Trey go?”

“Inside. I thought maybe him and Diane could use a little time together.” Mark shrugged.

“Yeah, Diane’s worried about him leaving. She does okay hiding it from him, but she’s never been able to hide anything from me.” Gary grinned. “Well, surprises and such okay, but how she’s feeling, nope.”

Mark could tell and it was actually a little weird to see. His dad had never seemed to realize how worried his mom was when he left, either that or he just didn’t care. He remembered his mom crying for days whenever his dad was being sent somewhere, but it didn’t even faze his dad.

Mark nodded.

“Yeah, she told me she was worried”—he shifted his feet—“wasn’t really sure what to say, but didn’t seem like she wanted Trey to know. She went inside pretty quick when she saw him walking over. I gave her a couple minutes before sending him in.”

“Yeah, she’s been looking forward to spending some time with him before he leaves.” Gary poked at the fire with a shovel. “Never can know what’s going to happen. We hope for the best and try to be positive, but deep down we know that this could be the last time we see him.”

Mark wondered, not for the first time, if it had been a good idea for him to come with Trey. A part of him felt like he was intruding on Trey’s time with his parents. He thought back to just before he’d left for his own tour of duty. He hadn’t gone to visit his parents, but he’d spent time with Jackie. She’d been rather insistent on as much family time as possible. Trey’s parents deserved that, one on one time with their son.

“I should have stayed home.”

“Why would you say that?”

“What?” Mark was confused and looked up to find Gary watching him.

“Why should you have stayed home?” Gary looked and sounded confused.

Shit! He hadn’t realized he’d spoken that last part out loud.

“Sorry. I shouldn’t have said that.” Mark sighed and tried to figure out a way to explain it. The last thing he wanted to do was offend Gary, or Diane. “I just meant that I should have thought about the fact that you’d want some alone time with Trey.”

“Hell.” Gary raked his fingers through his hair. “That’s not what I meant. I’m no good with words most of the time, and sometimes what I say don’t come out right. Diane’s always telling me to think before I say something that I can’t take back, maybe she’s right.” Gary stomped the shovel into the ground and moved to sit on a stack of wood. “Look, Diane and I, we’re glad Trey brought you. We still get to spend time with our son and we got to meet you. Besides”—Gary grinned—“I know my son, he’s stubborn as hell. If he wanted you to come, ain’t no way in hell he was gonna take no for an answer. He’d have cut his visit up here short just to spend a couple more days with you. This way, we still get him for the whole week.”

“He is stubborn.”

“Gets that from me, just don’t tell Diane I admitted to it because I’d never hear the end of it.” Gary snickered. “Besides, he was all set to stay down there and go to school when he got out, but now he’ll be coming back here, thanks to you. Diane was near tears when I told her about it. Maybe, while Trey’s gone, you could even come up here sometime and we could take the boat out. Diane’s not much for fishing and it gets kinda tiring going out by myself all the time.”

“I think I could probably manage that.” Mark smiled. Surprisingly enough, Gary was actually making him feel better about having come with Trey. Though he was surprised about the offer to visit while Trey was gone. He definitely hadn’t expected that.

So, I've managed to stick to only posting once a week for the last 28 weeks, but I'm wanting to work towards wrapping the story up, but that's going to take quite a while with a once a week posting. I've decided that occasionally (not guaranteeing every week) I'm going to post extra chapters. When I do post an extra chapter, I'll use a prompt from the week before. I might stick to the 1,000 word limit, I might not. It will all depend on how the chapter goes. Anyways, hope you enjoyed this extra chapter of Thwarted! I would love to know your thoughts, so feel free to leave a review. If you'd like to discuss the story more in depth with either myself, or other readers, feel free to do so in the discussion thread!
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Loved the extra chapter, Renee!

 

I'm such a sap. I'm sitting here crying b/c as a mom, I know exactly how Diane and Gary are feeling. It's such a terrifying thought that once your son leaves for his tour he might not come back. It's nice that Mark was able to somewhat comfort Diane.

 

It'll be nice if Mark does take Gary up on his offer to come up and fish with him. I think it'll help Gary if Mark spends some time with them.

 

Another terrific chapter, Renee! :)

Link to comment

I too loved the extra chapter. Shorter posting times never hurt my feelings on a story I love!

That Gary was so gracious and invited our hero to come up and go fishing said a lot. That our hero recognized his lover's mom needed some alone time with her baby also said a lot. Caring is always in style and I loved this chapter!

Link to comment

Yeah, ok so there it is, the real emotion that's been bottled away for far too long. It had to be there. It just did, and it had to come out at some stage.

Mom's are the diplomatic ones, but they can't help being the worriers too. I feel for Gary and Diane. As a military man, Mark kind of has a realism of what Trey is about to endure. His folks can only imagine, and I know what my imagination can be like, expecting the worst and all, so I can only begin to guess at what it must be like for them.

Kinda glad Mark is fitting in here. Have a feeling that the support network might become really important later in the story.

Link to comment
On 03/24/2014 04:24 AM, Lisa said:
Loved the extra chapter, Renee!

 

I'm such a sap. I'm sitting here crying b/c as a mom, I know exactly how Diane and Gary are feeling. It's such a terrifying thought that once your son leaves for his tour he might not come back. It's nice that Mark was able to somewhat comfort Diane.

 

It'll be nice if Mark does take Gary up on his offer to come up and fish with him. I think it'll help Gary if Mark spends some time with them.

 

Another terrific chapter, Renee! :)

Thank you Lisa! Aww, not a sap, it's completely understandable. I can only look at it as a friend point of view, but I know when a couple of my friends left for their tours that I was terrified of them going. I can't even imagine what their parents were feeling!

 

I agree about Mark spending some time with Gary and Diane. Not only will it be a comfort to Gary, but I think it will be a comfort to Mark as well.

Link to comment
On 03/24/2014 06:27 AM, Daddydavek said:
I too loved the extra chapter. Shorter posting times never hurt my feelings on a story I love!

That Gary was so gracious and invited our hero to come up and go fishing said a lot. That our hero recognized his lover's mom needed some alone time with her baby also said a lot. Caring is always in style and I loved this chapter!

Thanks for the review DDK! Glad that you are still enjoying the story.

 

I wanted to show that while Gary might have some reservations (which he is quickly getting over and really, what parent wouldn't?) he is trying and recognizes the need to build a relationship with Mark. As for Mark, not much I can say about him, lol. He's just Mark :) .

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..