Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 13. Chapter Thirteen

The Prompt: "absence makes the heart grow fonder."

“Christ, what a night.” Mark motioned for Trey to take a seat on the couch and walked over to grab a couple of beers out of the fridge. He twisted off the caps and tossed them in the garbage before walking back over and handing one to Trey. “Sorry, I honestly thought that would go better.”

“It wasn’t that bad.”

Mark watched as Trey lifted the bottle to his lips, his adams apple bobbing as he took a hefty swallow.

“Maybe at first,” he’d give Trey that much, “but as soon as she found out you were leaving in three weeks….” Mark flopped onto the couch next to Trey and turned his head to look at his boyfriend.

“Yeah, it could have gone better after that.” Trey twisted his body and looked at him. “I understand if you don’t want to tell me, but, what did she say to you after I left?”

Mark sighed and looked away, twisting his beer bottle in his hands. He didn’t want to admit that, despite his quick response back at Jackie’s, her words had been on his mind. To buy a few more seconds he lifted his beer bottle and took a swig.

“Sorry, I shouldn’t have asked.”

“No, it’s okay.” Mark shrugged, but still couldn’t look at Trey. He wasn’t sure he wanted to see the other man’s reaction. “She wanted to know if I really thought we could build something lasting in only three weeks.”

“Did you give her the old ‘absence makes the heart grow fonder’ line?” Trey quipped from beside him.

Mark didn’t reply. Honestly, he wasn’t sure how to respond to Trey’s attempt at making light of the entire situation.

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to make it sound like I’m not taking this seriously, I am.”

Mark heard the clunk of a bottle being set on a table and before he could even form a coherent thought Trey’s head was in his lap. He looked down into the chocolate eyes looking up at him and couldn’t keep from smiling.

“I know you are.” He leaned forward, being careful not to jostle Trey too much, and set his beer on the coffee table. “We both are. It’s a crappy situation.”

“Do you think she was right?” Trey frowned up at him.

“I don’t know.” Mark shook his head. “Could she be right? Yes.”

“So what are we doing here?” Trey started to sit up and Mark slid an arm across his chest to keep him place.

“I said she could be, I didn’t say I agreed with her.” Mark smiled, despite the seriousness of the moment. “We’ve already talked about this and decided to try. Honestly, I don’t see any point in talking it to death.”

“Works for me.” Trey lifted Mark’s arm and rolled out from underneath it and off the couch.

“Where are you going?” Mark reached for him, but Trey skirted his reach. Mark started to get to his feet, but Trey motioned for him to stay put.

“Just stay there, I’ll be right back.”

Mark grabbed his beer and watched as Trey disappeared into the bathroom. He used the time alone to think. Not about what Jackie had said, but about Trey’s leaving. They had just under three weeks left before Trey’s tour would start. Mark had seen first-hand what could happen overseas and that, despite what he’d said to Jackie, there was no guarantee that Trey would come back. He rested his head against the back of the couch and sighed.

“You okay?”

Mark rolled his head against the back of the couch until he could see Trey leaning against the bathroom doorjamb. He couldn’t believe he hadn’t heard the door open and smiled; he only hoped it didn’t look as forced as it felt.

“Yeah, just thinking.”

“About?”

“Nothing that can’t wait.” Mark stood and set the nearly forgotten beer back on the coffee table. He wasn’t trying to hide anything, but wanted to get a handle on his own thoughts before he shared them. He closed the distance between him and Trey and used his body to press his lover against the doorjamb, his arms caging him in. “I think that I don’t want to think for a while, sound good to you?”

Trey merely grinned, but that was all Mark needed. He pressed in closer, reveling in the feel of their bodies pressed together, and pressed his lips to Trey’s. He heard Trey groan and deepened the kiss, his tongue seeking entrance into the warm cavern of Trey’s mouth.

Trey obliged, his lips parting and Mark delved inside only to be met by Trey’s tongue stroking against his own. The kiss went on for what seemed like ages but was in reality probably only moments. Regardless, when Mark finally pulled back they were both breathing hard. He smiled and pressed one more fleeting kiss against Trey’s lips.

“I don’t know about you, but I think I’m ready for a shower and then bed. You in?”

“Sounds like a plan to me.” Trey smiled at him, kissed him, and ducked underneath Mark’s arm and back into the bathroom.

“I’ll lock up.” Mark headed for the front door and had just turned the deadbolt when the shower turned on. He stripped his clothes off on the way to the bathroom and tossed them in the direction of the couch. With a naked Trey in his shower, he could care less where they fell.

So, what did ya think? Like it? Hate it? Let me know by leaving a review and also, you can click the like button at the end of the chapter!
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I like it. This is a sweet story :)

Can´t even imagine what´d it be like to fall in love, know you have three weeks and then the other one goes away for a year and there´s a strong possibility that he´ll never come back alive. I feel sorry for them both.

But still looking forward reading more :read:

Link to comment

I'm already pining for Trey! lol

 

The closer they get in these three weeks, the harder it will be to leave each other.

 

Great chapter, Renee! :)

Link to comment

I'm glad to see the tension was diffused. What else can the guys do but wait and

see? It's good to see they are willing to give it a chance to work out. That alone

makes me think they know it's worth it.

Link to comment

"The closer they get in these three weeks, the harder it will be to leave each other."

If they really think there is chemistry and the beginnings of love between them, then they should go for it. Never pass up a chance at true love. Sure it will be harder but if it isn't hard to be separated, then it isn't all that much true love after all. Love means never wanting to be apart. Being apart means you do everything in your power to get safely back together as soon as possible.

The men were smart about not continuing to dwell on it after they made up their mind to try. After all, tomorrow is never really promised to any of us as the the news makes clear almost every day.

Link to comment
On 11/04/2013 02:25 AM, Suvitar said:
I like it. This is a sweet story :)

Can´t even imagine what´d it be like to fall in love, know you have three weeks and then the other one goes away for a year and there´s a strong possibility that he´ll never come back alive. I feel sorry for them both.

But still looking forward reading more :read:

Thank you for your review Suvitar! It's definitely a situation that I don't think anyone would want to find themselves in and it would be a difficult situation for someone to find themselves in. Now to see what the next couple weeks bring for these guys, and don't forget, Mark still had to meet Trey's family. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on future chapters!
Link to comment
On 11/04/2013 06:50 AM, Lisa said:
I'm already pining for Trey! lol

 

The closer they get in these three weeks, the harder it will be to leave each other.

 

Great chapter, Renee! :)

I think it's going to be hard for them whether they get closer or not. Though each day has brought them closer together, so I'm sure it's gonna be even worse when the time comes for Trey to leave, but we'll just have to wait and see what happens. You should know by now that I won't give anything away :)... Thanks for the review and for reading!!!
Link to comment
On 11/04/2013 07:48 AM, Stephen said:
I'm glad to see the tension was diffused. What else can the guys do but wait and

see? It's good to see they are willing to give it a chance to work out. That alone

makes me think they know it's worth it.

Thanks for the review Stephen!! I couldn't let the tension go on too long. I agree, they can only wait and see what happens. Things happened so quick with them but sometimes it just feels right. Hope you continue to enjoy the story!
Link to comment
On 11/04/2013 08:10 AM, Daddydavek said:
"The closer they get in these three weeks, the harder it will be to leave each other."

If they really think there is chemistry and the beginnings of love between them, then they should go for it. Never pass up a chance at true love. Sure it will be harder but if it isn't hard to be separated, then it isn't all that much true love after all. Love means never wanting to be apart. Being apart means you do everything in your power to get safely back together as soon as possible.

The men were smart about not continuing to dwell on it after they made up their mind to try. After all, tomorrow is never really promised to any of us as the the news makes clear almost every day.

I agree Daddydave and couldn't have said it better if I'd said it myself. I really didn't want the guys dwelling too much on what they couldn't change, and since they feel the connection, I really wanted them to work on just building something that could last. Of course, they still have meeting Trey's parents to get through and Trey's deployment, but only time will tell what's going to happen with these two. Thank you so much for your review and I look forward to seeing what you say on the future chapters!
Link to comment

The butterfly effect. A newly emerged romance, in full flight and beauty, the world around it full of mystery and opportunity and potential. This marvellous creature is so overwhelming, a romance pure and new and wonderful, it has a tendency to lose its participants in the mist of time and space.

Three weeks will blast past in this honeymoon phase of their relationship, and that is only going to make any decisions, any parting, any waiting all the harder long term.

But do we even really bother to consider these things when we are feeling so happy and free?

Unfortunately for your characters, they are being forced to do this. In terms of the pace of your story, this changes the dynamic of what we want or need from a chapter in terms of thought and detail from each individual character, and that will certainly impact on how you write each unfolding chapter. So far, you've done this well, the challenge herein lies on how you continue to do this.

I admire your tenacity and commitment to the brief Renee. :)

Link to comment
On 07/16/2014 02:47 PM, Yettie One said:
The butterfly effect. A newly emerged romance, in full flight and beauty, the world around it full of mystery and opportunity and potential. This marvellous creature is so overwhelming, a romance pure and new and wonderful, it has a tendency to lose its participants in the mist of time and space.

Three weeks will blast past in this honeymoon phase of their relationship, and that is only going to make any decisions, any parting, any waiting all the harder long term.

But do we even really bother to consider these things when we are feeling so happy and free?

Unfortunately for your characters, they are being forced to do this. In terms of the pace of your story, this changes the dynamic of what we want or need from a chapter in terms of thought and detail from each individual character, and that will certainly impact on how you write each unfolding chapter. So far, you've done this well, the challenge herein lies on how you continue to do this.

I admire your tenacity and commitment to the brief Renee. :)

Thank you Mr. Yettie. It had been tough to keep within the parameters that have been set, but so far I've managed it (for the most part). The time after Trey leaves is going to be interesting to say the least, not only for Mark and Trey, but for me as I try to write what they are going through, especially as each chapter is from Mark's POV. That adds another layer of difficulty I think. I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to handle it, but hopefully by the time it gets here I'll have it mostly figured out :)

 

The guys are definitely going to have a lot to think about and it's not going to be easy. Most couples wouldn't have to deal with so much so early in their relationship, but Mark and Trey, like you said, they have to. They don't have a choice.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..