Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 40. Chapter Forty

Mark shoved the car in park and turned to Gary.

“Are you sure you wouldn’t rather go to the hotel? I can’t guarantee this won’t get ugly.” All of them had been fairly quiet during the trip down. He’d appreciated Gary and Diane not needing to make conversation. He’d been lost in his own thoughts, trying to figure out the best way to handle the upcoming meeting with his dad and had finally decided to play it by ear. He doubted Dad was going to welcome him with open arms, but maybe he’d at least be a bit mellower considering the circumstances.

“We’re sure.” Gary gave him a reassuring smile. “We’re not going to let you go through this alone.”

Mark nodded. He didn’t know what he could say that wouldn’t sound trite. He swallowed hard and got out of the car, pocketing the keys. He opened the door for Diane while Gary came around the front.

“Thank you, Mark.”

“You’re welcome.” He forced a smile and led the way up the walkway. He paused at the door, part of him wanting to just get back in the car and drive home. Almost as though Gary could sense his desire to flee, he reached up and squeezed Mark’s shoulder. Steeling himself for what was no doubt going to be a tense situation, Mark lifted his fist and rapped it against the door before waiting. No way was he going to walk in, his parent’s house or not.

The door swung open and relief flooded him at the sight of Brent.

“Mark, you made it.”

Mark raised an eyebrow at the somewhat cool greeting. He knew things were tense with Jackie, but he’d thought him and Brent were okay.

“Yeah.” Mark stepped inside as Brent moved back. Brent looked past him and Mark turned to smile at Gary and Diane before shutting the door and turning back to his brother-in-law. “Brent, I’d like you to meet Gary and Diane, Trey’s parents. Gary and Diane, this is Brent, my brother-in-law.”

“It’s nice to meet you.” Gary held out his hand.

“Same to you.” Brent shook it before turning his attention back to Mark.

“You okay?” Mark was actually a bit worried about Brent, he seemed off.

“Yeah, sorry. It’s just been tense.” Brent looked away and grimaced. “Just so you know, Jackie is still on the warpath.”

Mark sighed. It all made sense now. Jackie was still pissed at him for seeing Trey off before coming down. She was probably even going to be more pissed that Gary and Diane were with him. He didn’t even want to guess how his dad would react.

“I’m not surprised.” Mark turned to face his in-laws. “Are you absolutely sure you want to be here.”

“Mark, you’re family. You’re not getting rid of us.” Diane’s voice brooked no argument and Gary just nodded.

“Ok.” He took a deep breath. “Guess it’s time to go face the firing squad.” He didn’t bother asking Brent where his dad and sister were, most likely they were in the living room. He headed there, Gary and Diane on his heels. He found them both exactly where he expected them to be. What surprised him was them talking like they’d never been apart. They both looked up as he walked into the room.

“Well, look who finally decided to show up.” Jackie stood and crossed her arms over her chest.

Mark ignored her jibe and instead faced the man who’d stood the same time as his sister had.

“Hello, Dad.”

“Mark. I expected you to be here earlier.” There was no warmth in his voice, but Mark hadn’t expected there to be. “I see you brought other people into my home without even doing the courtesy of asking first. Am I expected to put them up tonight as well?”

“No, Dad. In fact, you won’t be putting me up either; I’ve already gotten a hotel room.” Mark squared his shoulders and looked his dad in the eyes, anything else and David Bailey would say he was weak. “Dad, I’d like to introduce you to Gary and Diane Weston. Gary and Diane, meet my father, David Bailey.”

His dad stayed where he was, merely nodded towards Gary and Diane. The slight to Trey’s parents made him grind his teeth. He turned his head to look at Gary and Diane. Gary’s jaw was clenched and Diane was glaring daggers at his dad.

“Who are they and what gives you the right to bring them into my home?”

Mark clenched his hands into fists. He’d known his dad was an asshole, but he used to hide it in front of other people. Apparently he no longer cared. Warm fingers wrapped around one of his hands and he looked over to see Diane standing next to him, her small hands holding onto his fist. He took a deep breath and looked back at his dad, just as a hand landed on his shoulder. He knew without looking it was Gary.

“They’re Trey’s parents and they’re here to support me.” He decided against adding more, but his dad apparently wasn’t ready to let it go.

“And who the fuck is Trey.”

“I’ll tell you who Trey is, Daddy.” Jackie stepped closer to their father and slid her hand into the crook of his arm.

Daddy? When the fuck had she started calling him Daddy?

“Jackie....“ Mark put as much warning into his voice as he could.

“Trey is the reason Mark waited to come down here.” Jackie frowned. “Trey is the reason that Mark is suddenly too good for everyone else.” Jackie looked up at their father and smiled. “You want to know who Trey is, Daddy?”

“Jackie, don’t. That’s enough.” Brent was suddenly beside him, but Mark doubted Jackie was going to listen to her husband.

Mark wanted to leave, before shit hit the fan, but his feet felt like lead. He couldn’t move. Even knowing what his sister was about to do, he couldn’t do anything to stop it.

“I forget, Mark. Is Trey just your boyfriend”—Jackie’s lips twisted into a sneer—“or is he your fiancé now?”

Well, here's another chapter of Thwarted, and only 3 days after the last one! I scanned through the chapter, but I couldn't find anywhere that I'd given Mark & Trey a last name, nor could I find where I'd given Mark's parents any names. If I did, I apologize and please feel free to point it out. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Did you ever expect Jackie to turn on Mark like that? What did you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts, so feel free to leave a review! If you really want to discuss the chapter, you can always post in the discussion thread too!
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Angry 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Shocked at Jackie? No. Surprised? Yes. I have seen death do that to families, BT she seemed to be on Mark's side from the beginning. Maybe she just sees a way to be the 'perfect'' daugnter for her father. Hope Brett steps in and pits her in her place. Love the story. :o)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Poor Mark, he was very lucky to have Diane and Gary there with him. I think it was even worse than he was expecting it to be. His father is very rude and not at all a welcoming father. And Jackie, hardly a behaviour of a loving sister, she sounded jealous.

You managed to put a lot of emotions in a short chapter.

Link to comment

Well I am shocked at Jackie and disappointed too. As for as Mark's dad, he is a piece of work as well. I've never understood people who think the world revolves around them and expects everyone else to feel that way too. His rudeness is the mark of a small minded person.

Jackie is going to have to really turn herself around if she ever expects Mark to consider her as anything other than a relative in name only.

Trey's parents are probably now realizing just why Mark was so reluctant to visit even though it was because of the death of his mother.

Arghhh! Now I have to wait for the next installment....

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Wow, I was always leery about Jackie. She seemed always to be a 'big sister' sticking her nose into Mark's business but with what she just did, is she trying to ruin any relationship with her brother?

 

Their father was condescending and petty IMHO. I think I hated him just from hearing what Mark has shared earlier in the story, so I guess I wasn't surprised he lived up to my expectations.

 

I guess what remains to be seen, what shit storm is brewing while we wait for the next chapter.

Link to comment

Wow, Jackie turned into a BITCH!! I saw the jealousy coming a few chapters back, but this is way over the top. So glad Mark had Gary and Diane with him because now he doesn't have a family. I hope you let Brent tell her off and walks out on her. And maybe in the future, Mark tells her she's no longer his family. Emotional chapter and I'm guessing the next one is going to be even worse. Mark's Dad has no bearing on this as far as I'm concerned. He's a non-entity. But Jackie. :pissed: She's a skank!!!!!

Link to comment

Wow! Two chapters in one week! I feel like Hanukkah just came early! lol

Like Daddy, I am so disappointed in Jackie. How could she throw her own brother under the bus like that? What is wrong with her? She's such a turncoat. Is she just trying to suck up to her father? Get on his good side? What a BITCH!!!

 

I'm glad Brent stood by Mark's side and now Mark has the support of Diane and Gary. If I were Mark I would be humiliated at how my own father and sister acted in front of company. Funeral or no funeral - they were both rude and disrespecting.

Link to comment
On 11/05/2014 01:36 AM, secretsides said:
Shocked at Jackie? No. Surprised? Yes. I have seen death do that to families, BT she seemed to be on Mark's side from the beginning. Maybe she just sees a way to be the 'perfect'' daugnter for her father. Hope Brett steps in and pits her in her place. Love the story. :o)
Thank you for the review Secret! I'm glad that you are enjoying the story. The biggest question is, what got into Jackie, is it just death bringing it out in her or is there something more going on here than what we've seen. Hope you keep reading to find out!
Link to comment
On 11/05/2014 06:41 AM, Suvitar said:
Poor Mark, he was very lucky to have Diane and Gary there with him. I think it was even worse than he was expecting it to be. His father is very rude and not at all a welcoming father. And Jackie, hardly a behaviour of a loving sister, she sounded jealous.

You managed to put a lot of emotions in a short chapter.

He was, I don't know what he'd have done without them. Though, it's hard to imagine how he must have felt at being treated like that in front of Trey's parents. As for Jackie, definitely not acting like a loving sister, jealousy definitely could be an issue with her. Thank you for the review!!
Link to comment
On 11/05/2014 08:14 AM, Daddydavek said:
Well I am shocked at Jackie and disappointed too. As for as Mark's dad, he is a piece of work as well. I've never understood people who think the world revolves around them and expects everyone else to feel that way too. His rudeness is the mark of a small minded person.

Jackie is going to have to really turn herself around if she ever expects Mark to consider her as anything other than a relative in name only.

Trey's parents are probably now realizing just why Mark was so reluctant to visit even though it was because of the death of his mother.

Arghhh! Now I have to wait for the next installment....

Jackie was definitely a piece of work in this chapter, though if their dad is anything to go by, she comes by it naturally. I think it's hard for anyone to imagine how much he didn't want to face his father until they could actually see just how his dad was. Don't worry, you won't have long to wait for the next installment. As always, thanks for the review! I love seeing what you think of the chapters!
Link to comment
On 11/05/2014 09:05 AM, wildone said:
Wow, I was always leery about Jackie. She seemed always to be a 'big sister' sticking her nose into Mark's business but with what she just did, is she trying to ruin any relationship with her brother?

 

Their father was condescending and petty IMHO. I think I hated him just from hearing what Mark has shared earlier in the story, so I guess I wasn't surprised he lived up to my expectations.

 

I guess what remains to be seen, what shit storm is brewing while we wait for the next chapter.

Her actions in this chapter definitely make you look back and wonder about some of her actions throughout the story. Only time, and future chapters, will tell how their relationship will progress.

 

Their father is just an ass, to put it mildly. I didn't like him before and I really don't like him after this chapter... Now, what do I have planned for the upcoming chapters... for that, you'll just have to wait and see.

Link to comment
On 11/05/2014 11:54 AM, LadyDe said:
Wow, Jackie turned into a BITCH!! I saw the jealousy coming a few chapters back, but this is way over the top. So glad Mark had Gary and Diane with him because now he doesn't have a family. I hope you let Brent tell her off and walks out on her. And maybe in the future, Mark tells her she's no longer his family. Emotional chapter and I'm guessing the next one is going to be even worse. Mark's Dad has no bearing on this as far as I'm concerned. He's a non-entity. But Jackie. :pissed: She's a skank!!!!!
I hope over the top means just past what you were expecting. Jackie definitely showed another side of herself in this chapter, but as to how that will affect her and her relationships still remains to be seen. Mark does at least have Trey and his family, which is at least some consolation. Thank you for your review! I hope to hear from you on the future chapters!
Link to comment
On 11/05/2014 03:18 PM, Lisa said:
Wow! Two chapters in one week! I feel like Hanukkah just came early! lol

Like Daddy, I am so disappointed in Jackie. How could she throw her own brother under the bus like that? What is wrong with her? She's such a turncoat. Is she just trying to suck up to her father? Get on his good side? What a BITCH!!!

 

I'm glad Brent stood by Mark's side and now Mark has the support of Diane and Gary. If I were Mark I would be humiliated at how my own father and sister acted in front of company. Funeral or no funeral - they were both rude and disrespecting.

LOL. And you're about to get another one!

 

Don't hold back, let me know how you really feel about Jackie, lol. She's definitely not behaving as she has through the earlier chapters, but I think her behavior here does make you question some of her previous actions. It also might make you wonder what brought her to this point. Only further reading will provide the answers.

 

I agree with you about Brent, but the question now is, what is he going to do and what sort of repercussions is he going to face for that choice. Mark definitely has some support, but it's still gotta be hard. I agree, there is no excuse, no matter the circumstances, for David and Jackie's behavior. Thanks for the review Lisa!!!

Link to comment

Wow! That is really screwed up. If I was Mark I would say that Trey was my fiance and that it feels, with what Jackie and his dad just did, that Trey's parents feel like the only family he has right now and that he'll be at the funeral...and leave. No matter what her reasons, Mark lost a mother too...and how hard is it to get that saying goodbye to the person you love, for a whole year, is a really big deal! Jackie is one coldhearted Bitch....cheers...Gary

Link to comment

Jackie is just plain nasty, spiteful and taking after her father

I am pleased that Gary and Diane are there for Mark 

Link to comment

Wow Jackie that was mean really mean that’s ur brother no matter what u never do that wen ur dad is such an asshole why would you throw him under the bus 🚌 like that 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..