Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 26. Chapter Twenty-Six

Prompt: “I don’t care what he said!”

“Surely he understood why you got out.”

Mark shook his head. He appreciated Trey’s anger on his behalf, but it wouldn’t do any good. His dad had made up his mind and nothing was going to change it. He didn’t think his mom was even going to be able to smooth it over this time.

“He said—“

“I don’t care what he said!” Trey was obviously pissed. “To treat you that way just because you didn’t stay in the military, that’s wrong!”

“He feels like I went against what he stands for.” Mark reached out and pulled Trey into his arms. “I’ve tried a couple of times to talk to him, but he won’t listen. I finally decided that if and when he wants to talk, he can call me. I don’t really want to talk about him; I just wanted you to know why I’m not in any hurry to introduce you to my folks.”

Trey growled.

“Honestly, if you introduced me to your dad right now I’d likely get myself in trouble.”

“You wouldn’t be the first.” At Trey’s questioning look, Mark went on. “Jackie kind of told him off the last time they talked. Mom checks in with her every once in a while, but never when Dad is around and Dad hasn’t spoken to her since.”

“You know, the more you tell me, the more I don’t like your dad.” Trey shook his head. “I mean, my dad doesn’t always approve of my choices, but he’d never treat me that way just because of something I did or didn’t do.”

“Your dad loves you, that’s easy to see. I don’t want to be the cause of problems between you guys.” No matter what Trey said, Mark knew that Trey’s dad was upset over feeling like he was going to lose his son all over again.

“You’re not causing problems.”

“Have you thought about going to school up here? Isn’t there a community college up here somewhere?” Mark had actually given it some thought since they had talked about it that afternoon.

“Yeah, but I guess it all depends on what I decided to study. If I wanted a four year degree then the community college wouldn’t work.” Trey smiled at him. “Besides, I meant what I said to Mom and Dad, if things work out how I hope, I really do want to live with and go to school with you.”

Mark nodded. Maybe it was too soon to be making these kinds of plans, but he could still throw it out there.

“What about”—he swallowed—“if we both took some of our generals at the community college up here and then transferred to a four year college?”

Trey just stared at him for a minute before pulling away.

“I mean, I know it’s still a year away, but I just thought….”

He didn’t get any further before Trey launched himself at him and proceeded to kiss him so thoroughly that Mark nearly forgot his name. Mark didn’t know how long they’d kissed before Trey finally pulled back and smiled at him.

“What was that for?”

“You’d really do that? Go to school up here for the first two years? What about Jackie?”

Mark smiled at him.

“I know what it’s like to want to be close to your family when you first get out. I’d still want to go visit fairly often and maybe for the four year college we could transfer to one closer to Jackie, but yeah, I’d be willing.” He looked around the room they were staying in. “Only thing is, I can’t see us both living with your parents.”

Trey laughed.

“No, neither can I. What about living somewhere close that we wouldn’t have to pay anything? In return all we would have to do is help out on occasional maintenance.” Trey grinned.

“Sounds like you’ve already got someplace in mind.”

“The bed and breakfast place that mom and dad run is more like a mini resort. It’s got a few small cabins, each has a kitchenette and then there’s the main cabin that guests can go to for full meals if they want.” Trey shrugged. “Before we met, I’d already talked to Mom and Dad about the possibility of living in one of them if and when I ever got out of the military. They’ll still have two cabins to rent out, plus a couple of rooms in the main cabin.”

“IF we did that, we could always rent one of the cabins for Jackie’s family to come visit.” Mark wasn’t so sure that Trey’s parents would welcome him living there with Trey, but they might go for it if it meant that Trey would be close for those couple of years.

“Exactly. It would be perfect!”

“I think you’re forgetting one thing though.” Mark hated to burst his bubble, but he probably should mention the possibility that his parents wouldn’t welcome him living there.

“What’s that?”

“You talked to them about you living there; they might not relish the idea of me living there with you.”

“Nonsense.” Trey waved his hand as if it was no concern. “If they’d let me live there, why would they have a problem with the man I love living with me?”

Mark froze. He opened his mouth to reply but nothing came out. The man he….

“Mark?” Trey hovered over him, suddenly looking uncertain. “I… I mean… If you don’t feel the same way that’s okay….”

Mark shook himself free of his stupor and grabbed Trey and rolled him underneath him. He pressed his lips to Trey’s and teased Trey’s lips with his tongue until Trey opened and let him inside. After a moment he pulled back and grinned at the man underneath him.

“I love you too.”

There you have it, Chapter 26. This chapter flowed really well, and the end of it, I'd pretty much written it before I even realized what I wrote. That tells me that it was time and so I left it. What you do think? Trey and Mark have spoken a lot of plans for the future, but this is really the first time they've actually spoken of loving each other (I even went back through previous chapters and double checked). I would love to know your thoughts, so feel free to leave a review. If you'd like to discuss the story more in depth with either myself, or other readers, feel free to do so in the discussion thread!
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

How sweet :wub: and of course they love each other :heart: that´s so obvious from how they are with each other :hug: Trey´s parents will adore Mark for giving them a chance to have their son living close by when he gets back :yes:

Lovely chapter :thumbup:

Link to comment

Loved the chapter, Renee! :)

 

I think it was a perfect time for the "I love you's"! Of course they love each other- it's so obvious!

 

I totally agree with Suvitar; Trey's parents will be over the moon if Trey goes to school close by and I think they will be thankful for Mark for suggesting it. =)

Link to comment

I loved it too. They still have a hard road ahead with a deployment to deal with and all that entails....

Link to comment
On 03/06/2014 11:25 AM, GWood said:
MORE! (please) :*)
I'm working on it! Glad you are enjoying it and thank you for the review!
Link to comment
On 03/06/2014 10:46 AM, m.p. said:
AW YAY! This is so exciting! They love each other!
Thanks for the review m.p.. I actually really enjoyed writing this chapter, and that ending just seemed very fitting. Glad you are enjoying the story!
Link to comment
On 03/06/2014 03:58 AM, Daddydavek said:
I loved it too. They still have a hard road ahead with a deployment to deal with and all that entails....
Thanks DDK! They do have quite the road ahead of them still, but at least they have each other. It will be hard with the distance, but it can work. Glad you are still enjoying the story and look forward to hearing your thoughts on the later chapters!
Link to comment
On 03/06/2014 03:24 AM, Lisa said:
Loved the chapter, Renee! :)

 

I think it was a perfect time for the "I love you's"! Of course they love each other- it's so obvious!

 

I totally agree with Suvitar; Trey's parents will be over the moon if Trey goes to school close by and I think they will be thankful for Mark for suggesting it. =)

Thank you Lisa!

 

It seemed very fitting to end the chapter in that way. And yeah, it seemed pretty obvious to me as well. In fact, I had to go and skim all the chapters just to make sure I hadn't already done the "I love you's". Once I'd done that, the chapter went really fast!

 

I think with Mark is, he's trying to figure out what's going to be best for all of them. He knows what it's like to have just gotten back from a warzone and he, better than many, knows that Trey is probably going to want his family around, just like he did (even if he does sometimes regret that decision, lol).

 

Thanks again for the review!

Link to comment
On 03/05/2014 08:52 PM, Suvitar said:
How sweet :wub: and of course they love each other :heart: that´s so obvious from how they are with each other :hug: Trey´s parents will adore Mark for giving them a chance to have their son living close by when he gets back :yes:

Lovely chapter :thumbup:

Glad you enjoyed the chapter Suvitar! I thought it was pretty obvious myself, but the words have to come out sometimes and I'd actually written Trey's part before I realized what I wrote. Think maybe he was trying to tell me "Alright, enough is enough."

 

Mark really has multiple reasons for suggesting the school thing. He knows partly what Trey will need when he comes back, but even more than that, he's kind of suggested the best for both of them. The first two years close to Trey's family, the last two years close to his family. It gives them both a chance and really doesn't make it so that either one has to move away from their family for a long time.

 

Thanks for the review!!!

Link to comment

Cute, and so they finally accept that yes indeed they have fallen for each other! :)

Again, I can't help but pause for thought and ask myself if this world of happiness and planning has some unforeseen tragedy that is to befall it, again mainly based on the story title. Lots of planning for a future that is as yet a whole year away. Plans that are to be thwarted by time or circumstance?

I guess chapters in the future will answer this niggle for me.

Link to comment
On 07/17/2014 12:03 AM, Yettie One said:
Cute, and so they finally accept that yes indeed they have fallen for each other! :)

Again, I can't help but pause for thought and ask myself if this world of happiness and planning has some unforeseen tragedy that is to befall it, again mainly based on the story title. Lots of planning for a future that is as yet a whole year away. Plans that are to be thwarted by time or circumstance?

I guess chapters in the future will answer this niggle for me.

Yes, they have finally accepted it :) , though I don't think they really have ever "not" accepted it. As far as the title goes, if you think back on the story, they've been "Thwarted" countless times in one way or another, though you raise a good question. Is there some major thing just waiting in the wings to thwart them one final time? You'll just have to keep reading to find out :D
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..