Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 45. Chapter Forty-Five

“So, what are you going to do?”

Trey wasn’t asking anything Mark hadn’t asked himself numerous times, unfortunately, he still came up with the same answer. He couldn’t go to his mother’s funeral because of his bastard sperm donor.

“There’s not much I can do.” Mark tightened his grip on the phone. “I’d like to think Mom would understand.”

“I’m sure she would, but are you going to be able to live with that decision?”

“I don’t have much choice.” He’d have to live with it, it was the only thing he could do. “I know he’ll get some satisfaction from keeping me away, but I think he’d get even more from calling the cops if I did show up.”

“Are you sure it’s not an empty threat?”

Mark chuckled at the mere thought of his dad spouting off an empty threat. He gritted his teeth. He needed to remember to quit thinking of David Bailey as his dad. He’d never truly been a father to him. In fact, Gary had been more of a dad to him in the short time Mark had known him than his own sperm donor ever had been. Gary was the one who truly deserved the title of Dad.

“It’s not. If he says he’ll have me charged with assault, he will.” It was ridiculous, but then again, so was most of the crap that David had said and done throughout the years.

“Fuck this. You need me there with you and, damn it, I’m going to find a way.”

“Trey, I’ll be fine.” The last thing Mark wanted was for Trey to do something that would get himself in trouble. He told him as much. “Don’t do anything that’s going to get you in trouble. You’re so close to being able to get an honorable discharge, don’t jeopardize that.”

“Don’t you get it?” Trey sounded frustrated. “I’m willing to face whatever consequences I have to in order to be there. You’re more important and I’m not going to let you go through this bullshit alone.”

“I get it, I do.” Mark couldn’t say he wouldn’t be feeling the same as Trey if their positions were reversed, but he needed to make Trey understand. “But, I’m not alone. Your parents, and now Brent, have made sure of that. I’d never be able to forgive myself if you screwed up your discharge because of me.”

“It wouldn’t be because of you.”

“It would be for me, same difference.” He hoped he was getting through to Trey. If Trey was still insisting when they got off the phone, Mark would have Gary call him. Surely Trey’s dad could talk some sense into him. “I love you. I know you’re worried about me and, as much I’d love to have you with me right now, we need to look to the future. We just have to get through a year and then you’ll be done and we can do everything we’ve already talked about. Having that to look forward to will get me through this.”

“But—“

“You know I’m right in this.”

“I know. It sucks though.” Mark heard Trey’s sigh through the phone. “Are you sure you’re going to be okay?”

“I’m sure.” Mark hated knowing Trey had been dragged into his family bullshit and decided it was time to put that topic to bed. “Are you guys still scheduled to leave in the morning?”

“Nice subject change.” Trey chuckled. “And yes, the plane will leave at oh-six-hundred.”

“And you’ll be on it, right?” Mark had to be sure. He’d seen what happened when someone went AWOL and he didn’t want that for Trey. He held his breath as he waited for Trey to answer.

“As much as I hate to, yes, I’ll be on it.”

Relief flooded Mark and he released the breath he’d been holding. “You’ll let me know you made it safely?”

“As soon as I can.” Trey cleared his throat. “So, I was talking to Dad….”

“Should I be worried?” Mark knew better. Gary had been nothing but supportive of him through the entire ordeal of coming home.

“No, not at all. He wanted my opinion on something.”

“Whatever it is, it can’t be that bad.” Trey’s apparent nervousness was starting to transfer to Mark. “Quit hedging and just tell me.”

“Well, he knows you’re looking for something to do. He was asking me what I thought about you going back home with them and helping him out with the cabins.”

“I….” Mark thought about Brent and everything he’d be going through with Matthew. Could he just pack up and leave without any thought to his brother-in-law? It didn’t seem right. He appreciated everything Gary had done for him, but Brent would need him and there was no way Mark could just turn his back on him. He hoped Trey and Gary would understand. “I don’t think I can. Not right now at least.”

“Can I ask why?” Trey sounded disappointed, and that tore at Mark’s heart. He hated to let Trey down.

“Brent and Matthew.” He was glad Brent had given him privacy to make the call to Trey. As great as the offer from Gary was, Mark didn’t want Brent to know that him and Matthew were the reason he felt he had to pass. It wouldn’t be fair to put that burden on him with everything else he had going on. “I can’t just leave them to face this alone. They’re my family and they need me right now. Maybe when things have settled down a little bit.”

“Do you think Brent would want to get away for a little while? I’m sure Mom and Dad would love to have them as well, and they’d probably adore Matthew.”

“I don’t know. Even if he wanted to, I’m not sure he could with work and all.” Mark scratched his head. One thing Trey hadn’t mentioned was if Gary just wanted his help temporarily, for a couple weeks or so. “How long did your dad want me to come for?”

Trey mumbled something Mark couldn’t make out.

“Wanna say that again? Without mumbling?”

“Until I get home.” Trey grew quite for a minute. “He was thinking that you could help him with all the cabins, but focus on getting the one for us ready before I came home.”

“Wow.” That word seemed inadequate, but Mark was stunned.

“Would you at least think about it? Even if you didn’t go up there right away, it would help you out as well as them.”

Mark nodded and then shook his head as he remembered Trey couldn’t see him. “I’ll think about it.”

If he did decide to move up there, he’d have to come to an agreement with Gary on rent. He wasn’t about to freeload on Trey’s parents. Though, just from what he knew of Gary, it would be a battle to get him to accept anything. Either way, he’d most likely be paying less than what his current apartment cost him.

“That’s all I ask. Hold on just a sec.” Trey was talking to someone, but must have covered the phone with his hand, because Mark couldn’t make out the words. After a second he came back on the phone. “I hate doing this, but I have to go.” Trey sounded completely deflated.

“It’s okay, I know how it is.” Mark didn’t really want to let him off the phone, but knew he had to.

“I’m not sure if I’ll be able to call you in the morning before I leave. You sure you’re going to be okay?”

“I will be. Don’t be worrying about me. Focus on staying safe so that you come home to me.” Mark knew what could happen and prayed that nothing happened to Trey. “I love you.”

“I love you, too. I’ll call you as soon as I can.”

“I’ll be waiting.” Mark forced his fingers to hit the button that would end the call. He refused to tell Trey good-bye.

Good-bye was too final.

Thanks to everyone who has waited so patiently for this chapter. Things have settled down a bit, for now, so I'm hoping to be able to post more often. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this chapter, so feel free to leave a review.
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Lovely new chapter. Great!
So nice to meet Trey and Mark again, I´ve missed them. Trey has such wonderful parents, they are willing to look after their son´s boyfriend :thumbup:

Link to comment

That final phone call before being deployed is often heart-wrenching, theirs was even more so under the circumstances. Well done!

Link to comment

Thank you for this, Renee. It was a great scene showing the lengths Trey would have gone to in order to support Mark. I really find these short chapters frustrating. We really didn't learn anything more about what is going on with Mark's sister and father. Still, I appreciate hearing from these guys again... cheers... Gary

Link to comment

Renee!!!! You're back!!! :):D

 

It was great seeing Trey and Mark again, although the end of the phone call was really sad. It's not like Trey's going to school abroad for a year; he's going to war, and God knows what can happen to him over there. Mark is going to have anxiety until he hears from Trey again.

 

Trey's parents are so wonderful. I can't believe the offer Gary proposed to Trey about Mark. That's so nice of him. Mark does need a distraction, that's for sure, but right now I think his distraction will be Brent and Matthew.

 

I still don't understand his sister. Does she have DID or something? Maybe she's schizo? Something's going on with her, that's for sure.

 

I love the words 'sperm donor', and they definitely fit the man Mark used to think of as his father. Too bad he was never a real dad to him.

 

Great chapter, Renee! :)

Link to comment

Yipee! Glad you're back on this great, moving tale so nicely told!
I suspect there's far more going on with sister/dad that what we've gotten so far. Maybe some inheritance? Is Matthew Brent's son? There's far more than just stress going on with her behavior.
Daddy is right--the last phone call was incredibly moving--without being mushy. Lisa's point that he's headed off to war is a good one, and the weight on both Mark and Trey has got to be incredible; enough so, it's something that they can barely acknowledge.
Can't wait for the next chapter!

Link to comment
On 06/24/2015 05:11 PM, Suvitar said:

Lovely new chapter. Great!

So nice to meet Trey and Mark again, I´ve missed them. Trey has such wonderful parents, they are willing to look after their son´s boyfriend :thumbup:

Thanks for the review, Suvitar. I love writing this story, I just wish things would stay settled down so I can really dig into it. Never fear though, it will be finished!!

Link to comment
On 06/24/2015 07:38 PM, Daddydavek said:

That final phone call before being deployed is often heart-wrenching, theirs was even more so under the circumstances. Well done!

Thanks, DDK. I hoped I did it justice. I've witnessed a few of those phone calls and they're never fun. Glad you're enjoying it :)

Link to comment
On 06/25/2015 11:23 AM, Headstall said:

Thank you for this, Renee. It was a great scene showing the lengths Trey would have gone to in order to support Mark. I really find these short chapters frustrating. We really didn't learn anything more about what is going on with Mark's sister and father. Still, I appreciate hearing from these guys again... cheers... Gary

Thanks for the review, Gary. IF there was any way to keep from going, Trey would have done it, but Mark won't let him sacrifice himself.

 

I do agree that the short chapters can be frustrating. I suppose I could probably do longer chapters, but the way my focus has been lately, nothing would ever get done, so short chapters it remains. At least for the time being. Though I hope to update much more often!

Link to comment
On 06/25/2015 12:53 PM, Lisa said:

Renee!!!! You're back!!! :):D

 

It was great seeing Trey and Mark again, although the end of the phone call was really sad. It's not like Trey's going to school abroad for a year; he's going to war, and God knows what can happen to him over there. Mark is going to have anxiety until he hears from Trey again.

 

Trey's parents are so wonderful. I can't believe the offer Gary proposed to Trey about Mark. That's so nice of him. Mark does need a distraction, that's for sure, but right now I think his distraction will be Brent and Matthew.

 

I still don't understand his sister. Does she have DID or something? Maybe she's schizo? Something's going on with her, that's for sure.

 

I love the words 'sperm donor', and they definitely fit the man Mark used to think of as his father. Too bad he was never a real dad to him.

 

Great chapter, Renee! :)

Well, I was back and then I disappeared again. Hopefully I won't have to again,lol.

 

Those phone calls are never easy, but it had to be done. It's got to be devastating for both the guys to be going through everything they are. Mark with all the family issues going on, and Trey leaving. And Trey with knowing he has to go and can't be there. It sucks.

 

I love Trey's parents, which is probably very obvious in the way I wrote them. They're good people who care about others and it's great to watch them take Mark under their wing.

 

Jackie... well... only time (and more chapters) will show what her deal is...

 

Thanks so much for the review, Lisa.

Link to comment
On 07/08/2015 02:28 AM, Robert Rex said:

Yipee! Glad you're back on this great, moving tale so nicely told!

I suspect there's far more going on with sister/dad that what we've gotten so far. Maybe some inheritance? Is Matthew Brent's son? There's far more than just stress going on with her behavior.

Daddy is right--the last phone call was incredibly moving--without being mushy. Lisa's point that he's headed off to war is a good one, and the weight on both Mark and Trey has got to be incredible; enough so, it's something that they can barely acknowledge.

Can't wait for the next chapter!

Glad you're enjoying the story Robert!

 

I think there's always more going on behind the scenes than what we ever know, whether fictional or real life. At least in a story you typically find out what the deal is. And, oh god, can you just imagine how Brent would react if Matthew WASN'T his???

 

It definitely sucks that so much fell on their shoulders at the same time. They can't really even focus on one thing because there is so much going on. Now it's just a case of seeing how they handle the stress...

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..