Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 1. Chapter One

The Prompt: "Count sheep? I'd rather count..."

The metal lid bit into his palm when Mark twisted open his fresh beer. He grimaced at the TV and rolled his eyes at the commercial still taking up screen time.

“I hate this commercial.” Mark flopped back down on the other side of the couch from his brother-in-law, waiting for the game to come back on.

“What commercial?” Brent shifted the three year old taking up residence on his lap and looked over at Mark.

“The sleep one, about counting sheep. I mean c’mon, does anyone actually do that?” Mark shook his head and took a swallow of his beer; the bitter brew quenched his thirst but did nothing for his growling stomach. He munched on the chips situated between him and Brent, loaded with enough cheese flavor to nearly overpower the taste still lingering on his taste buds from the beer.
 
“I had a girlfriend once who did.” Brent shot a look at his wife standing in the doorway.
 
“Seriously? Count sheep? I’d rather count—”
 
“Mark!” He was interrupted by Jackie’s sharp reprimand. “Don’t you even think of finishing that sentence.”
 
Mark glanced at his nephew and shot an apologetic look at his sister. “Sorry, Jackie. I wasn’t thinking.”
 
“Obviously.” Jackie smirked and came the rest of the way into the room. “C’mon little man, it’s your bedtime.” She plucked Matthew off his father’s lap and carried him out of the room.
 
“You should know better by now.” Brent laughed once Jackie was out of the room. “She’s totally anal about what gets said in front of Matthew, even though he’s not old enough to understand.”
 
“Yeah, I know.” Mark did know. He didn’t do it intentionally and he should know better. He’d had to watch what he said more times than he could count during his stint in the army. It had been part of the reason he’d gotten out, he was tired of having to hide his sexual preference amidst other guys who had no problem talking about going out and getting laid.
 
“She’ll get over it.” Brent grinned and Mark knew he didn’t want to know what was coming next. “What she’s not going to be getting over anytime soon is your single status. You know she’s trying to find someone to fix you up with, right?”
 
“Yeah, I had an inkling when she invited me for dinner and I just happened to be seated next to the only other single guy there.” Mark shook his head. The night had been a complete disaster and he’d managed to make it through dinner before making excuses and getting the hell out of dodge. “I love my sister, but subtlety is the one thing no one will ever accuse her of.”
 
“Very true. She just wants to see you settled down and to be honest, so do I.” Brent laughed and held up a hand to forestall any questions. “Not that I don’t want to see you happy, but more than anything I just want to quit hearing about you being single and don’t I know any nice guys she can introduce you to.”
 
“She’ll get tired of it eventually.” At least, Mark hoped she did. He’d already thwarted three of her attempts. He doubted that she knew that many guys who were gay and single.
 
“You’re underestimating her. Just be glad I talked her out of following the example of that damn movie she loves so much. You so owe me for that.” He must have seen Mark’s confusion since he explained. “She’s watched that movie about the mom that takes out an ad and interviews prospective mates for the woman’s daughter. Jackie was all set to take out the ad, but I convinced her that it only works in the movies. Though, it might have been entertaining to watch.”
 
“I definitely owe you a beer for that one then.” Mark lifted his bottle in salute and then took a hefty swallow. He didn’t even want to think of who might have answered such an ad. He hadn’t seen the movie that Brent was talking about, but it just sounded like a disaster waiting to happen.
 
“Now, would you shut up already and watch the game? Sometimes you talk more than a woman.” Brent’s smile took the heat out of his words and Mark just grinned.
 
“I heard that!” Jackie walked back into the room.
 
“Oops. Love you dear.” Brent turned his head and smiled innocently at his wife.
 
“Yeah, yeah. It’s too late to suck up now.” She walked over and perched on the edge of the couch. “I’ll remind you of that when Matthew wakes up in the middle of your game. Love you honey.”
 
Mark couldn’t stop the laugh that escaped as Jackie pressed a fleeting kiss to Brent’s lips and then headed into the kitchen. He quit abruptly when he was hit in the face by one of the fancy pillows that Jackie liked to keep on the couch.
 
“Laugh it up, Mark, laugh it up. Just remember, payback’s a bitch.” Brent let out the foot rest on his side of the couch and leaned back as he watched the game.
 
Not really having anything to say to that, Mark followed suit. He knew some of Brent’s forms of payback and while some of them were funny as hell, some tended to be a little bit on the painful side. Maybe he could win some points back by taking care of Matthew if he woke up. It was Brent’s team playing tonight anyways and Mark could really care less which team actually managed to win. On the plus side, if he took care of Matthew when he woke up, maybe Brent would warn him the next time Jackie played matchmaker.
 
He wished she would quit, but Brent was right, she wouldn’t stop until he was settled down and nothing he could say would deter her.
The Prompt: "Count sheep? I'd rather count..."
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Nice opening to set the stage. I love the 1k briefs format. I think it's a challenge to get your story and pacing set within the constraints. Good luck! I'll be watching to see how this pans out. :)

Link to comment

I think I could get to like the way Jackie thinks just glad she isn't my sister lol. Nice opening chapter looking forward to more.

Link to comment

It's a nice, warm, supportive, and affectionate family that Mark has.

Now you're going to throw a wrench into it, aren't you?

 

I love it already...

Link to comment

Great new story Renee! :)

 

I'm looking forward to see who finds a guy for Mark first, Jackie or Mark himself. lol

Link to comment
On 05/25/2013 10:39 PM, said:
How about some paragraphs for easier reading? :*)
Sorry about that Andy. When I first posted, I thought the formatting was good, don't know what happened. It's fixed now though.
Link to comment
On 05/26/2013 04:09 AM, Mann Ramblings said:
Nice opening to set the stage. I love the 1k briefs format. I think it's a challenge to get your story and pacing set within the constraints. Good luck! I'll be watching to see how this pans out. :)
Thanks Mann. It has definitely been a bit of a challenge at times. If I go over 1K then I have to go back through and see where I can cut just a little bit, lol. Hope you enjoy the story as it progresses!
Link to comment
On 05/26/2013 06:16 AM, Daithi said:
I think I could get to like the way Jackie thinks just glad she isn't my sister lol. Nice opening chapter looking forward to more.
Thank you Daithi! Yeah, I really like Jackie, and I know a few people who are quite a bit like her. Glad that you enjoyed this first chapter!
Link to comment
On 05/26/2013 07:06 AM, Stephen said:
It's a nice, warm, supportive, and affectionate family that Mark has.

Now you're going to throw a wrench into it, aren't you?

 

I love it already...

Thank you Stephen! Yeah, his family is pretty great.. As for the wrench, would I do that? Herm... guess you'll just have to wait and see what I have planned. Glad you are already enjoying it and look forward to hearing what you think of later chapters.
Link to comment
On 05/26/2013 11:17 AM, Lisa said:
Great new story Renee! :)

 

I'm looking forward to see who finds a guy for Mark first, Jackie or Mark himself. lol

Thanks Lisa! I actually know the answer to that question, but I'm not going to share... You'll just have to wait and see :D
Link to comment
On 06/01/2013 08:09 AM, joann414 said:
This looks like another great one Renee. Can't wait for more.
Thank you JoAnn! Glad that you are liking the story!
Link to comment
On 09/02/2013 02:00 PM, Cole Matthews said:
Hilarious! Love the freshness of their interaction and care from others. Great start. I will continue reading.

Cole

Thanks for the review Cole! Glad that you enjoyed the first chapter and look forward to seeing what you think of the future chapters!
Link to comment

Just started reading this one Renee and already love it. Why is it that some people just have to play match-maker? I think everyone has known someone that thinks that is one of their talents or calling in life.

 

On the other hand, having a supportive family is a refreshing change from all the uptight, preachy, throw the "sinner" out stories.

Link to comment
On 10/21/2013 03:10 AM, Daddydavek said:
Just started reading this one Renee and already love it. Why is it that some people just have to play match-maker? I think everyone has known someone that thinks that is one of their talents or calling in life.

 

On the other hand, having a supportive family is a refreshing change from all the uptight, preachy, throw the "sinner" out stories.

LOL DDK!!! Glad that you are enjoying the story! I don't know why that is, but I know I've met a couple of them myself. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, they weren't quite the matchmaker they thought they were. I actually really like Mark's family, especially Jackie! Thanks again!!
Link to comment

Gawd, sister playing matchmaker is never a good thing.

Argh.

Love the natural feel of this Renee. Flows so easily, I could be watching it on TV.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Link to comment
On 11/26/2013 09:13 AM, Yettie One said:
Gawd, sister playing matchmaker is never a good thing.

Argh.

Love the natural feel of this Renee. Flows so easily, I could be watching it on TV.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

LOL... No, I can't imagine it would be. I'm so glad that I had brothers. Well, to a point, they were a bit overprotective at times, but they never would have set me up!

 

I'm glad you think it flows so well, it's hard to keep it flowing with the chapters being so short. I was so worried that would affect how the story moved along. Thanks for the review Yettie!

Link to comment

Nice beginning, looking forward to where this goes. So far I'm interested in the characters and want to learn more.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..