Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 7. Chapter Seven

I used two prompts this week:
Prompt #1: "Ready or not, here I come."

Prompt #2: "I never felt like that before..."

Mark stepped out of the shower; wrapping a towel around his waist he headed to his bedroom and had just pulled on a pair of sweats when someone knocked on his door. Hoping it was Trey, he rushed out of his bedroom but before he could get to the door it opened and Jackie stuck her head in.

“Ready or not, here I come.” Her gaze focused on him and she stepped inside and shut the door. “I’m not interrupting anything, am I?”

“Nope, nothing at all.” He tried to keep his disappointment hidden. Three days since Trey had headed back to the base and despite his attempts, Mark hadn’t been able to contact him. His cell phone went immediately to voicemail whenever Mark had tried.

“Where’s your friend?”

Mark sighed; he really didn’t want to do this right now. He didn’t know what he was going to tell his sister but knew he had to tell her something.

“Back on base. What are you doing here?” Like he didn’t know. Jackie had told him to call and he hadn’t.

“I want to know what happened between you and Ted.” Jackie moved to his couch and made herself comfortable. “You had a date with him, yet when I come over the next morning, someone else walks out of your bedroom. Who was he? How did you meet him? Have you known him long? You said base, is he in the military?”

“Christ, would you take a breath already?” Mark left her sitting on his couch and walked back into his bedroom to pull a shirt on. When he came back out, Jackie hadn’t moved an inch.

“So? What happened?”

Trust Jackie not to give up. He moved to the kitchen and grabbed a soda out of the fridge. He held one up for Jackie to see but she shook her head and he put it back in the fridge.

“Ted was an ass. I don’t think I’ve ever been on a more boring date.” Mark took a swig of his soda and walked back over to flop into his recliner. “He was so self-centered. I can’t believe you even thought I’d be interested in someone like him.”

“Self-centered? Really? He never came across that way with me. Maybe he was just trying to impress you and it backfired.” Jackie seemed thoroughly confused.

“Maybe he was, but he went about it the wrong way. I’m not going to go into all the nitty gritty details so you can forget it. Let’s just say that if I never hear from him again it will be too soon.” He wasn’t worried in the least after Ted’s exit from the restaurant. Mark set his soda on the coffee table and waited for her to bring up Trey again. He knew it wouldn’t take her long.

“Okay, so it didn’t work out with Ted. Where did you meet the hunk that was here the other morning? What’s his name?” She relaxed against the back of his couch and Mark knew he wouldn’t get rid of her until he told her something.

“His name is Trey. Yes, he’s in the Army. After the disaster of Ted, I went to Kerplunked. That’s where I met him and we spent most of the night talking.” He wasn’t about to go into detail because despite her nosiness, Jackie was still his sister and some things she just didn’t need to know.

“Obviously you did more than talking since he was here the next morning. I can’t believe you went to bed with someone you just met.” Jackie shook her head at him but all he did was shrug.

“I can’t explain it, Jac. We just seemed to click, like we’d known each other forever. I never felt like that before.” He couldn’t stop the smile as he remembered their weekend together. “We spent the entire weekend together and honestly, I didn’t want him to leave.”

“When are you seeing him again?”

Jackie talked like it was a foregone conclusion they’d get together again, and while he would have agreed after the weekend, now he wasn’t so sure. He’d feel better about it if he could get ahold of Trey. He didn’t want to come across as needy, but the fact he hadn’t so much as talked to Trey bothered him. Maybe he’d read Trey wrong and it had only been a one-time thing for the other man.

“I don’t know.” His voice came out little more than a whisper. “We didn’t make any definite plans.”

“So call him.” Jackie rolled her eyes. “You did get his phone number, didn’t you?”

“Yes, I got his phone number.” He couldn’t stop the exasperation from coming through. Did Jackie think he was that much of an idiot that he didn’t think of that? “It went straight to voicemail.” He didn’t add how just hearing Trey’s voice on the recording had sent shivers through his body.

“Do you think he’s avoiding you?”

Trust Jackie to get to the heart of the matter.

“I don’t know. I don’t think so, but…”

“Well, if he is, then he’s not good enough for you anyways.” Jackie sounded more put out by the fact Mark couldn’t get ahold of Trey than he was.

“Or maybe something came up.” He hoped so at least, the other options just weren’t acceptable. Trey hadn’t come across as the type who would ignore him.

“Well, I guess you’ll find out eventually.” Jackie glanced at the clock on his wall. “Shit! I have to go. I left Matthew with Brent so I could come make sure you were alive and Brent has to go to work.” She stood and walked to the door. “Call me, and this time, I mean it.”

No sooner had she closed the door behind her than his cell phone rang on the counter. He picked it up and smiled at the name on the display.

Trey.
I used two prompts this week:
Prompt #1: "Ready or not, here I come."

Prompt #2: "I never felt like that before..."

Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I know Jackie is his sister but man is she nosey and not a great judge of character. And as to Trey there could be numerous reasons why he doesn't answer his cell maybe he isn't allowed it wherever he was on base or the battery was dead ...lots of reasons lol. My question is if it had been Ted coming out the bedroom door that morning instead of Trey would he have gotten the same 3rd degree from his sister lol?

Link to comment

Damn, how did I miss this update?

 

I'm actually glad I did - now I don't have an evil cliffie hanging over my head. lol

 

Ok, on to chapter eight.

Link to comment
On 09/20/2013 01:45 PM, Lisa said:
Damn, how did I miss this update?

 

I'm actually glad I did - now I don't have an evil cliffie hanging over my head. lol

 

Ok, on to chapter eight.

Not sure how you missed the update, but evil cliffie? Me? Would I do a thing like that? *grins* Glad you are enjoying it!
Link to comment
On 09/01/2013 06:42 PM, Daithi said:
I know Jackie is his sister but man is she nosey and not a great judge of character. And as to Trey there could be numerous reasons why he doesn't answer his cell maybe he isn't allowed it wherever he was on base or the battery was dead ...lots of reasons lol. My question is if it had been Ted coming out the bedroom door that morning instead of Trey would he have gotten the same 3rd degree from his sister lol?
Thanks for the review Daithi! And yes, Jackie is nosey. As far as Ted, that's a great question, but damn I'm glad it wasn't him coming out of the bedroom. I couldn't stand the guy, if ya couldn't tell, lol.
Link to comment
On 10/21/2013 11:31 AM, Daddydavek said:
Oh you tease! I want to hear what Trey has to say. Oh well I get to read the next chapter now!
Me? A tease? Would I do that to my readers? Well, as you said, at least the next chapter was already waiting for you, lol!
Link to comment

And there I was talking about over analysing.

haha

Although, let's be honest, it is something that we all do when we can't get a hold of someone we reallllllly want to be talking too.

God I hate that feeling. :P

Loving this natural flow Renee. I can identify with some much of these characters.

Link to comment
On 11/26/2013 12:20 PM, Yettie One said:
And there I was talking about over analysing.

haha

Although, let's be honest, it is something that we all do when we can't get a hold of someone we reallllllly want to be talking too.

God I hate that feeling. :P

Loving this natural flow Renee. I can identify with some much of these characters.

LOL. It's it great when we can chuckle at ourselves? And aren't you glad that you can read ahead and not have to wait for the next chapter? Though, you are getting caught up fairly quickly and are fast approaching to where you'll be waiting for the weekly post :D... And yes, you are right, it is definitely something that we all do. I know I did that shortly after I first met my hubby.

 

I'm glad that you are still enjoying the story and that you can identify with the characters! That definitely means that I have done my job! Thanks Yettie!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..