Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 53. Chapter Fifty-Three

“You there?” Trey sounded tired.

“Sorry, sorry.” Mark breathed a sigh of relief. “I’m here. I just couldn’t believe it when I heard your voice. How are you feeling?”

“Like shit.” Trey chuckled, but there was no humor in it.

“I bet. Hopefully they have you on some good pain killers.” Mark wanted to ask how badly he was hurt, but would save that for when he talked to Gary or Diane. Obviously they’d made it there, since Trey was using Gary’s phone.

“Yeah.” Trey was quiet for a moment and then continued, his voice so low Mark had to strain to hear him. “When I saw Mom and Dad, I looked for you.”

Mark winced, even though Trey couldn’t see him. He’d thought he was doing the right thing by staying behind, but he could hear the disappointment in Trey’s voice. The last thing he’d wanted to do was cause Trey any more pain.

“I’m sorry.” Mark glanced briefly towards where Brent had been, but he was gone. Mark appreciated the privacy. “I’d have been there, but I was afraid they wouldn’t let me in and I didn’t want you to be alone.” Just the fact he felt the need to justify his actions to him he’d made the wrong choice.

“That’s what Mom and Dad said.” Trey’s voice had grown even quieter. “I still wish you were here.”

“Me too.” More than he could say. He should have taken the risk.

“I’m tired.” Trey yawned. “I just needed to hear your voice.”

“I can’t even say how much I needed to hear yours, too.” Mark dreaded hanging up. “I’ve been so worried. I love you.”

“I know.” Trey grew quiet. “Dad wants to talk to you.”

Mark didn’t even have time to say anything else before Gary was on the phone.

“Mark?”

“Yeah.” Mark closed his eyes and took a deep breath then opened them again. “How bad is it?”

Gary was quiet for a moment. “Sorry, Trey’s falling asleep, so I wanted to step away so I didn’t wake him back up. He’s going to be okay, but he’s hurting pretty bad.”

“The head injury? How bad?”

“The swelling in his brain has gone down, and they don’t believe there was any severe damage. The worst right now is his legs.”

“What’s wrong with his legs?” He knew there was shrapnel damage, but not how bad it was. Whatever it was, they’d deal with it together, he just needed to know.

“There’s some really deep lacerations from the shrapnel. It tore through muscles and tendons. They’ll be doing surgery first thing in the morning to repair the damage as much as possible, but then it will just take time for him to heal.”

“Damn it, Gary. I should be there.” Mark felt like crying. Trey needed him and he wasn’t there. What did that say about him? “I’ll see if I can get a flight out Friday morning. I can meet Brent at the airport with Matthew and be there by Friday afternoon at the latest.” He’d be broke afterward, but he didn’t care. He’d screwed up and he was going to fix it. “Maybe I should see if Brent can find someone else to take Matthew. Then I could maybe get there tomorrow.”

“No, don’t do that.” Gary’s sigh could be heard over the phone. “You know Trey would never forgive himself if you did that and your sister got hold of Matthew. Trust me, Trey will understand, he’s just hurting right now. Think about it, if Trey wasn’t hurt right now, what would he want you to do?”

“Then I’ll get a flight for Friday and be there that afternoon.”

“That won’t work. We won’t be here. Neither will Trey.”

“They’re transferring him to somewhere else? Tell me where and I’ll get there.” He didn’t care where he had to go, he’d make it there.

“There’s other things we need you to do, because we can’t.” He could hear Gary talking but guessed he was talking to someone else and had covered the phone because his voice was muffled. “Sorry, Diane was asking me something.”

“Other things can wait.” Did Gary not want him there with Trey?

“No, they can’t. Not if you want Trey to come home.” Gary paused. “I need you to make sure the cabin is ready for Trey. You’re going to need to go and rent a wheelchair and a walker, because he’s not going to be able to use crutches too much. You also need to figure out if you’re going to have to make some sort of ramp. The step down from the cabin porch isn’t very high, so you should be able to maneuver a wheel chair okay there, but make sure. We need all of that done by Friday morning.”

“Why Friday morning?” Mark was confused. Trey acted like he wanted him there, but Gary seemed to want him to stay put. He understood needing to get things situated for Trey, but he could do all of that and still get a flight out Friday morning. It would be tough, but doable.

“Because, unless something changes, you need to also figure out how to leave the car for us at the airport and be at the base Friday evening to pick up Trey.”

“What?” He had to have heard wrong. There was no way they could be releasing Trey so soon. Not if his legs were as bad as Gary was making it sound. “That soon?”

“Yeah, we were surprised too. From what the doctor said, once the surgery is done, there’s nothing more they can do until Trey starts healing. There’s a few things he’ll have to do before he can be released, but they’re planning to release him and put him on a military flight sometime Friday. Actually, the more I think about it, Diane and I will just rent a car. It will be hard for Trey to get in a truck, so you’ll need our car to pick him up.”

Mark felt like everything was happening so fast. He’d never thought Gary would have so much information when he called. They’d only gotten there within the last couple hours.

“Mark? You still there?”

“Yeah, sorry. I just can’t believe it.” That was an understatement. “Between the head injury and the shrapnel damage, I thought he’d be there for at least a week.”

“So did we, but when we got here, they already had his treatment planned out, and I guess it’s not uncommon for them to be released that soon for this kind of injury. It would possibly be different if there was damage elsewhere, but with the majority of damage being to his legs and the head injury resolving itself, he’ll be released within a day or so, as long as he has someone at home to take care of him.” Gary’s voice became muffled for a moment, then he was back. “Diane needs me, so I need to go, but I’ll call you back when we know anything more, or I’ll have Trey call you when he’s awake again.”

Mark barely got his goodbye out before the call ended. He walked over and settled back on the couch as he thought about what Gary had said. Trey was coming home, but Mark had a lot to do before he got there. He was still sitting there when Brent came back, Matthew perched on his hip.

“How’s he doing?”

“Huh?” Mark blinked and looked over as Brent sat next to him.

“How’s Trey?” Brent settled Matthew on his knee and bounced him. “You know, if you need to go, I’ll find someone else to keep Matthew for me while I deal with Jackie.”

“No, that’s okay, I can keep him. I thought about it, but it wouldn’t do any good.” Mark smiled and felt tears sting his eyes. “Trey’s coming home.”

“When?”

“Friday, unless something changes.” Mark glanced around the cabin. “There’s so much to do before I pick him up.

Brent stood and placed Matthew in the playpen and turned to face him.

“Where do we start?”

How'd you like the chapter? I'd love to hear your thoughts and if you liked it, please like the chapter! Feel free to leave a review and/or you can discuss the chapter in the Thwarted thread.
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Why, oh why am I out of likes at this crucial moment. :facepalm: Oh well, have a :heart:
Yay, Trey is coming home and will have Mark to care for him while he gets better. :D That's just what we were hoping for.
:thankyou:
but there had better be some cuddly times before you finish the story or else :pissed: Nah, just kidding, but I would like to see them happy together.

Link to comment

Such an ominous chapter...head injuries that'll "take care of themselves". Surgery then release just a few days later, using a walker/wheelchair, since they really "can't do anything more". Really sounds like his injuries are far worse than what anyone is willing to admit! I can see some tough times ahead--but hope I'm wrong.
A fine chapter here, with a great setup for future plot developments. Good job!

Link to comment

How lovely, Trey's coming home :yes: Hopefully there won't be any setbacks, his injuries sounded horrible :/

Link to comment

I can't believe they're releasing Trey this early either! It's wonderful that the swelling on his brain has gone down, and I'm hoping that his legs will get better. I guess I'd just feel better if he was staying in the hospital a little longer.

 

And I agree with Mark; he should have been there, but then I guess the things he needs to do now would have never gotten done. Thank God Brent's gonna help. :)

Link to comment

Wow, they're releasing Trey so quickly? I have a feeling that the homecoming and reunion isn't going to be as smooth as Mark hopes. Trey could be dealing with PTSD as well as the disappointment of Mark not being there with his parents. Hopefully Trey's parents can help him past the disappointment before he gets home.

Link to comment

Aha! I was right! You made me tear up, for Mark and for Trey. It makes perfect sense to me to send him home if he's so lucid already, and the legs can be fixed by surgery. Healing can be done at home just as easily. It seems like forever that I've been waiting for them to be reunited, so this chapter made me very happy. Please don't pull any mean surprises. They deserve this, and so do we :P . Great chapter, Renee... cheers... Gary....

Link to comment

So, Trey's coming home on Friday after a HEAD injury? Even if it's resolving itself, that's still pretty damn quick! Oh well, be that as it may, that's good news. :) But I see tough times ahead...or not?

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..