Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 44. Chapter Forty-Four

“When you asked to talk, this wasn’t quite what I had in mind.” Mark glanced to where his nephew lay sleeping in the portable playpen they’d set up.

“To be honest, I didn’t expect it to get to this point either, but then again, I never expected my wife to tell me to get the fuck out.” Brent slumped into his chair and dropped his head into his hands. “Even more, I didn’t expect her to tell me to take Matthew, she didn’t want him.” Brent looked up at him. “Not that I’d have left him with her, not with the way she’s acting.”

“Do you think all of this has to do with Mom’s death?” Mark couldn’t think of anything else that made sense. Jackie wasn’t behaving like the sister he knew. She’d never been so vicious and vindictive. “That she’s in shock and maybe holding on to the only parent she has left?”

“At first, that’s why I wanted a chance to talk to her before I came and talked to you. She set me straight pretty quick.”

“I just don’t get it. She hated my dad and what he did to me. She always told me how much she supported me.” Mark shook his head. “Hell, she cut off all contact with him after he threatened to completely disown me after I refused to re-up.”

“Yeah, well, apparently what she told us and what she was actually doing were too separate things.” Brent glanced around the room, focusing on Matthew for a minute before finally looking at Mark again. “Mark, she never quit talking to him. In fact, whenever I’d go out of town on business for the last few months, she’d go visit or have him come visit her.”

“How didn’t I know? I’d usually go over at least once whenever you were gone, just to make sure she didn’t need anything.” Or had he? He knew he’d kept in contact with her whenever Brent was gone, but now he thought about it, he’d only just shown up there a few times. He’d never thought anything of it when she wasn’t home. He’d call her and they’d set something up for the next day.

“The same way I didn’t, she didn’t want us to know.” Brent swallowed and his shoulders sagged. “That’s not the worst of it, at least for me. Apparently, when she was visiting your dad, he was introducing her to men he thought were better marriage material.”

Mark shook his head. While he could see the fucker doing something so underhanded, no way would his Mom have gone along with it. She would have pitched a fit, he was sure of it. “No, Mom would have said something.”

“She probably would have, if she could. Until the stroke almost five months ago.”

“What the fuck are you talking about?” Mark stood and paced across the room before whirling around to face Brent again. “What stroke? Mom never had a stroke.”

The sudden crying reminded him of Matthew in the room. He walked over to the playpen and picked his nephew up, rubbing his hand soothingly over Matthew’s back. He made shushing sounds but nothing worked. He knew babies could sense when people were upset and tried to relax, but the news Brent had just dropped on him wasn’t something he could just forget.

Brent held his hands out and Mark walked over and handed Brent his son.

“I didn’t know about it either. Jackie apparently kept a lot from us.” Brent bounced Matthew on his knee. “It was after the stroke Jackie started visiting your dad. Before that, your mom wouldn’t allow her in the house, though Jackie won’t tell me why.”

“I don’t understand any of this.” Mark walked back to the bed and sank down onto the mattress. “She always acted like she supported me.” How could she not tell him their mom had a stroke? Guilt sat heavy on Mark’s shoulder. He should have gone and seen her, regardless of his relationship with his father. If he had just went against the bastard he’d have known what kind of condition his mom was in. To know Jackie knew and didn’t tell him, he wasn’t sure what to do with that information.

“I don’t know, Mark. She refused to talk about you.” Brent frowned. “Well, mostly. She did say something about how you never listened to her anymore, ever since you met Trey. I’m not sure what she’s thinking, but other than that she wouldn’t talk about you to me. All she wanted to talk about was how she’s going to move in with her dad for now and she doesn’t want anything to do with me or Matthew. Apparently, the guy who is marriage material doesn’t want to raise someone else’s brat.”

“And she’s agreeing to that?” Mark was dumbfounded. There wasn’t another word for it. He couldn’t imagine what was going through Jackie’s mind that she was agreeing to give up her son. Had he known his sister at all?

“I guess so. I was told she’ll contact me to get the rest of her stuff.” Brent stood and carried Matthew back to the playpen and set him down inside. He covered him with a blanket and then turned to face Mark. “I don’t know what to think. This isn’t something I ever expected. I don’t know if she’s just been really good at hiding it or if this is all something your dad has put into her head. All I can do at this point is go home and wait to see what happens.”

“I’m not even sure if I should go to the memorial service for Mom tomorrow.” He’d already suspected it would probably be a bad idea to go, but with everything Brent was telling him, he didn’t think there was much doubt.

“About that….”

“I don’t think I even want to know.”

“If either of us shows up, they’ll call the cops. If you show up”—Brent dropped his gaze—“your dad will press assault charges.”

Thanks for reading! So what do you think? Do you think Jackie was just really good at hiding her true feelings? Do you think this is all something her dad has put into her head? Would love to hear your thoughts!
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 1
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow....just wow. Jackie and the dad sound psychopathic. How could Mark and Brent not have a hint of how nuts she really was? If what she said was true, then she was a master manipulator. If I were Brent I'd worry how many of these "better marriage prospects" took Jackie for a test drive. Poor Mark. With the news about his mom and not even being able to go to the memorial service now, everything must be tearing him apart. Not having Trey around is going to be so much harder for him, but at least he and Brent can be there for each other and he can count on Treys parents. Thank you for the new chapter Renee! Can't wait to read the next one!

Link to comment

Wow that was weird! Is Jackie gone all mental all sudden? i don't know. Is her father is manipulating her? appareently. i hope so. i hope she didn't gone mental for real and all that is just her protecting her family (whiwh don't include her father obviously) because her father has something on her or Mark and she wants to protect them and that why she told Brett to take the kids with him, to protect him from her father.

Anyway, i hope everything is gonna be alright in the end for Mark and that Trey is gonna come home soon ;)

Link to comment

I'm like Clochette.... Jackie has gotta know something so big she's doing all of this to protect her brother and Brent.

But I'm not coming up with anything that'd be so big she'd walk away from her child. I'm thinking Lit has it right--she's gone off the deep end! And Brent certainly has cause for concern over the whole "test drive" issue!

Finally, the whole thing about "you WILL NOT be at the service" moves from bizzare to incredibly cruel. To deny the right to grieve is outrageous!

Great job with this chapter. Your next chapter can't come soon enough!

Link to comment

Yeah, I wonder too if the father is manipulating Jackie, or if Mark finding someone to love and not needing her as much as he did before just pushed over the edge. Also have to wonder why the mom didn't want Jackie coming home… Also poor Brent, his wife telling him she doesn't even want their child in her life. Hope you can update soon and shed some light on what's happening here.

Link to comment

"Oh what a tangled web we weave....."

I'm not sure what to make of Jackie or of Mark's whole screwed up family. Right now, it's about less than nothing....

Hopefully, Renee will soon lead us out of the darkness and into the light of understanding, but for now the gloom is almost impenetrable.

Link to comment

I think Jackie's having a pre-midlife crisis.

 

I was trying to figure out what their father had on Mark or Brent or even Jackie that would make her act like this just to protect them. I couldn't come up with anything.

 

Maybe Jackie has a dark side to her and maybe she agreed with their father about a lot of things and that's why their mom wouldn't let her back in the house. But something big must have happened for their mom to ban her own daughter from the house.

 

And what kind of 'mother' willingly gives up her kid just like that? Just b/c some guy (who is NOT her HUSBAND), wants to marry her and doesn't want her son? I would tell him to take a hike. How can she even THINK of another guy when she has Brent, who is wonderful? Why is she trusting her father in the first place? Unless he's blackmailing her b/c he has something on her, which I mentioned above?

 

And OMG, how could you NOT tell your brother (who you were sooooo close to), that their mom had a stroke?????

 

Renee, you have me on the edge of my seat...I can't wait for the next chapter!! Maybe next Wednesday?????? =)

Link to comment

This is getting very weird, intriguing, but so weird :huh: Brain tumour? Or totally insane? Whatever it is, Jackie´s behaviour is becoming more and more strange. So looking forward reading the next chapter :P

Link to comment

This chapter is so bizarre. How could Jackie hide her malice for so long? (I would say post-partum depression, but it doesn't jibe.) If she was unhappy in her marriage, why didn't she just leave? But the biggest weirdness to me is the mother barring Jackie from the house and Mark not knowing she'd had a stroke. He didn't talk to his mom for five months? Not even on the phone? I hope Mark and Brent get to the bottom of the situation.

Link to comment

I am totally flummoxed. Jackie is exhibiting signs of sexual abuse. Her erratic behavior. It all seemed to show itself after the stroke, when her mom became incapacitated. Having her dad come and visit her, or she visit him(only after the mother's stroke) every time her husband went away. That indicates a closeness that is indicative of incest or sexual abuse. Not being able to form proper and lasting bonds with her husband, her child or her brother. Maybe her mother was aware and forbid her to come to the house for that reason. That would be really twisted but other than that, I got nothing. Can't wait for more, Renee...Cheers...Gary

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..