Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 37. Chapter Thirty-Seven

“I’m so sorry, Mark.” Diane rushed forward and wrapped her arms around him. Gary gently guided them inside and shut the door before squeezing clasping Mark’s shoulder in one of his large hands.

Mark was stunned and could do nothing else but return the embrace. He was even more shocked at the sudden tightness in his throat. He wasn’t even aware he was crying until Diane pulled back and reached up to wipe his tears away.

“Mom, Dad? What are you doing here?” Trey sounded just as shocked and confused as Mark felt. Mark watched him hug both his parents. “I was just on the phone with you. You said you needed Mark’s address to send a flower arrangement and a card.”

“You made it clear to us that Mark was going to be our son-in-law.” Gary patted Mark on the back. “You didn’t honestly think your mother was going to let him go through this alone, did you?”

“But”—Mark stared at both of them—“you barely know me.”

“We know what matters, dear.” Diane patted him on the hand. “Now, have you boys eaten?”

Trey shook his head. “No, I was waiting for Mark to wake up to decide what to order in.”

“Well you boys just relax and I’ll see what I can find to fix.”

Mark glanced towards his kitchen. He didn’t have much in there, certainly nothing to make a meal out of. He looked back at Diane and shook his head.

“Sorry Diane, I’m afraid I haven’t gone grocery shopping yet. Let me just go get changed and we’ll take you and Gary out.”

“Nonsense.” Diane shook her head. “Why don’t we just order in pizza or something? Our treat.”

“I’m fine with ordering in”—Mark glanced at Trey, who nodded—“but I can’t let you guys pay. Not after you just drove all this way. We can do pizza, or if you guys like Chinese, I know a great little place that delivers. Wait, what time is it?”

Trey glanced at his watch. “A little after eight.”

“Okay, good. They’re still open. If we want Chinese, we just have to have the order phoned in by eight-thirty.” Mark tugged at his pajama bottoms. “Let me just hurry and change into something else and we can call and order whatever you decide on.” Mark barely glanced at Trey as he fled to his room. He shut the door behind him and collapsed against it, his chest heaving as he gasped for breath. He couldn’t break down, not now, not when Trey and his parents were in the next room. Clenching his eyes shut, Mark forced air into his lungs as he tried to take deep, even breaths. He barely heard the knock on the door followed by Trey’s voice.

“Mark?”

Mark opened his eyes and shook his head, forgetting for a moment that Trey couldn’t see him. He stumbled away from the door and sank onto the bed. He tried to answer Trey, but he couldn’t get the words out and finally just gave up and focused on breathing. Either Trey would come in on his own or he’d wait for him to come out. It didn’t take long before the door opened and Trey’s head poked in. Mark couldn’t look at him. He didn’t even know what the hell was wrong with him, or why it had suddenly hit, but he hated that Trey was seeing him completely lose it.

“Hey”—the mattress dipped under Trey’s weight—“it’s okay.”

Mark clenched his fists. It wasn’t okay. He needed to pull himself together so he could find out exactly why Diane and Gary had shown up. He knew what they had said, but it didn’t make sense. His parents wouldn’t have done the same for either of their kids’ spouses. Mark took a final deep breath and turned to face Trey.

“Did you ask them to come?” He wasn’t sure what he wanted Trey’s answer to be.

“No, but I’m glad they came.” Trey sighed and laced their fingers together. “It’s been killing me that I have to leave tomorrow. If there was a way to get out of going, I’d do it. Plus, after what happened today with Jackie, you need someone who’s going to be there for you.”

“I’d have been fine.” Mark dropped his gaze, taking in their joined hands. “They have enough to worry about without adding this to their plates.”

“Well”—Trey squeezed his fingers—“think of it this way. They’ll be so busy worrying about you they’ll barely even remember that I’ve left.”

Mark rolled his eyes. “Yeah, I don’t think that’s going to happen.” He glanced at his alarm clock and pulled his hand free as he stood and moved to the dresser. “Shit. We’re too late to order Chinese. I guess it’s going to be pizza after all.”

“Actually, since I know what you like from there, I asked Mom to call and order. That’s why it took me so long to follow you. I had to pull up their menu online so Mom and Dad could decide what they wanted.”

Mark grabbed a pair of jeans out of the dresser. It didn’t make much sense to grab a fresh pair, but he could always wear them for the drive after Trey had left. He grimaced. That was what had set Jackie off, not that he’d ever tell Trey. With his mom gone, Mark didn’t see any point in going home any earlier than he absolutely had to. He’d told Jackie that not only wouldn’t he be riding with her first thing in the morning, but he was getting a hotel room when he got there. He’d also refused to leave before Trey in the morning. That had really set her off.

Mark stripped out of the pajamas and hurriedly got dressed. He couldn’t dwell on things, not yet. He had the feeling he’d have plenty of time for that once he’d headed for home. That is, if he could call his dad’s sterile house a home. He’d never felt comfortable there and with his mom gone, he doubted he ever would. Before anything else though, he needed to find out what Gary and Diane’s plans were.

Even more than that, he had one more night to make damn sure Trey understood exactly how much he loved him. No matter what else happened, he needed Trey to come back from his deployment. He could deal with anything else, his dad included, but Trey not coming home, that would shatter him.

Mark turned and eyed Trey reclined on the bed, watching him. He walked over and held out his hand, pulling Trey to his feet once he’d taken it. Mark didn’t let go, instead he took a moment to wrap his arms around Trey and drop a tender kiss to his lips. He closed his eyes and rested his forehead against Trey’s.

“You know I love you, right?” Mark opened his eyes and locked gazes with Trey, needing him to see the truth of his words.

“I know.” Trey smiled at him. “I love you too.”

“And you’d damn well better come back to me.” Mark tightened his hold.

“I will.” Trey kissed him, nipping lightly at his lip before pulling away and straightening his clothes. “I think we’d probably better go out there before my parents come knocking on your bedroom door.”

Mark hoped he was kidding, but decided not to risk it. He turned and opened his door, allowing Trey to go first. It was time to go and face his in-laws. He shook his head at the thought.

In-laws. When the fuck had that happened?

Thanks for reading. Hopefully you are still enjoying the story and if you've got a minute, let me know what you think! You have lots of choices, you can leave a review, pm me, or you can even participate in the discussion thread!
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Nicely done....this chapter eased some of the pain of the last one by focusing, at the end, on their feelings for each other. The demand for Trey to come back to him and Trey's promise that he would put Mark in a better place. I can understand his sister's reaction better now....thanks and cheers...Gary

Link to comment

Such a sweet chapter :hug:

Diane and Gary are so caring and perfect in-laws for Mark, who really needs someone in his life now that Trey is almost gone and his mother´s funeral to go through.

Link to comment

Diane and Gary are godsends. They are so intuitive and know exactly how to make Mark feel loved and comforted. It's a far cry from his own parents.

 

Unfortunately the timing of his mom dying was really bad. I can see Jackie flipping out that Mark was going to wait for Trey to leave, but then on the other hand, I would understand him wanting to spend as much time as he could with him the next morning. After all, it's not like he's keeping his mom waiting.

 

I am sure that Diane and Gary will want to accompany Mark with seeing their son off and with going to the funeral. Jackie has her father and Brent, and now Mark has Trey's parents. :)

Link to comment
On 09/03/2014 11:28 PM, Headstall said:
Nicely done....this chapter eased some of the pain of the last one by focusing, at the end, on their feelings for each other. The demand for Trey to come back to him and Trey's promise that he would put Mark in a better place. I can understand his sister's reaction better now....thanks and cheers...Gary
Thank you Gary. I knew I needed to explain somewhere a bit why Jackie was acting how she was, or at least what set her off, but it didn't feel right before this chapter. This chapter was designed to give Mark a little bit of a break from the walls that seems to be collapsing down around him. Not only does he now have Gary and Diane there to support him, but he has those few moments with Trey at the end which helps anchor him.
Link to comment
On 09/04/2014 10:11 AM, Daddydavek said:
Caring people are such a change that Mark is having a hard time believing it. I bet he gets used to it though!
I think he's going to have to, because I don't see Gary and Diane changing anytime soon. It's just who they are, if anything, I see them trying to make up for the affection Mark has lacked in his life. Thanks for the review DDK!
Link to comment
On 09/05/2014 03:11 AM, Suvitar said:
Such a sweet chapter :hug:

Diane and Gary are so caring and perfect in-laws for Mark, who really needs someone in his life now that Trey is almost gone and his mother´s funeral to go through.

Thank you Suvitar :hug:

 

He does need them, and honestly, they need him too, especially with Trey leaving. It's kind of a double whammy for Mark, his mom's death and Trey leaving, but I think it's going to be just as bad for Gary and Diane. It's better that the three of them will be together.

Link to comment
On 09/07/2014 06:54 AM, Lisa said:
Diane and Gary are godsends. They are so intuitive and know exactly how to make Mark feel loved and comforted. It's a far cry from his own parents.

 

Unfortunately the timing of his mom dying was really bad. I can see Jackie flipping out that Mark was going to wait for Trey to leave, but then on the other hand, I would understand him wanting to spend as much time as he could with him the next morning. After all, it's not like he's keeping his mom waiting.

 

I am sure that Diane and Gary will want to accompany Mark with seeing their son off and with going to the funeral. Jackie has her father and Brent, and now Mark has Trey's parents. :)

I definitely agree with you Lisa, I absolutely love Gary and Diane and Mark so needs someone like them in his life.

 

I can see Jackie flipping out as well, but if I were Mark I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing. As you said, it's not like he's keeping his mom waiting and honestly, who would want to spend more time than absolutely necessary around his dad? I'm kinda scared at how the face off between Gary and Mark's dad is going to go.. that should be an interesting meeting...

Link to comment

Is this PTSD going on???

Something is not right with Mark! He's hiding more than he's letting on. I dunno, maybe I am mad, but he's really struggling with something deep.

I had pizza tonight, and reading about them ordering Chinese suddenly makes me wish I'd ordered Chinese. Damn you Renee! :pissed: I'm drooling for a nice chicken chow mein! Grrrrrrr

Link to comment
On 09/12/2014 07:00 AM, Yettie One said:
Is this PTSD going on???

Something is not right with Mark! He's hiding more than he's letting on. I dunno, maybe I am mad, but he's really struggling with something deep.

I had pizza tonight, and reading about them ordering Chinese suddenly makes me wish I'd ordered Chinese. Damn you Renee! :pissed: I'm drooling for a nice chicken chow mein! Grrrrrrr

He's definitely having a hard time of it. Having Trey's parents be there for him when he's been cut off from his own for so long can't be easy, it's bound to bring up some emotions. Luckily, for now, he has Trey there with him. As far as the Chinese.... :P
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..