Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 56. Chapter Fifty-Six

“I need a fuckin shower.” Trey swung his leg off the couch and sat up from where he’d been leaning again Mark. He grabbed his walker and levered himself up off the couch. “Do we have anything to keep the bandages on my leg dry?”

“Yeah. I got some garbage can liners that we can tape over your leg.” Mark stood and hurried to the kitchen. “Do you just need one? Or two?”

“One is fine. The cuts on my left leg are superficial, my right leg took the brunt of the damage.”

Mark heard the thump of the walker and guessed that Trey had headed for the bathroom. He felt bad, but the bathroom was the one room that he hadn’t been able to make things easier for Trey, outside of having a shower chair that he could put in the tub. He made it to the bathroom just as Trey sat on the closed toilet lid, beads of sweat trickling down his face. Mark dumped the bag and the tape in the sink. “What do you need me to do to help you?”

“Just help me keep my balance while I get my pants off, and get in the tub.” Trey pulled his t-shirt over his head and dropped it on the floor next to the toilet. “May as well get in the tub and then get everything off. That way when I sit, I can stay sitting.” Trey held out his arm.

Mark grasped his forearm and helped him stand and the maneuver over into the tub. He helped Trey slide his pants and underwear down and then eased him to the chair waiting for him. Once Trey was sitting, Mark carefully stripped him of the rest of his clothes and then reached for the bag and the tape. He tried to be gentle as he lifted Trey’s leg and slipped the bag over the bandages, but he still felt horrible when Trey winced.

“Sorry.” Mark frowned and taped around the top of the bag so that no water could work it’s way inside and get the bandages wet. He swallowed hard against the lump in his throat at the sight of the visible cuts on Trey’s legs.

“Be glad you can’t see under the bandages.”

Mark jerked his gaze away from Trey’s legs and up to his face. Trey was watching him, but Mark couldn’t define the expression on his face. It was actually the lack of expression that worried him. He sat on the edge of the tub, reached over, and rested his hand lightly on Trey’s thigh. He watched for any hint of pain, but Trey’s face stayed completely neutral.

“Seeing your leg won’t change anything. I’m here for the long haul, not just when things are going right.” He hoped Trey knew that, but felt it needed to be said anyways.

“If you say so.” Trey shrugged. “I wouldn’t blame you if you did change your mind. In fact, maybe you should take some time to think about whether or not I’m really what you want.” Trey glared down at his leg. “Not only will I have scars, but while I’ll be able to walk, I’ll probably always have a limp. The weather will make it ache. And hell, to add insult to injury, I can’t get it up. So yeah, maybe you should think about things before you decide that you want to stick around.”

“You could have scars covering you from head to toe and I’d still be here.” Mark couldn’t believe the things coming out of Trey’s mouth. “I’d still think you’re sexy as fuck. I’m here because this is where I want to be, even if we can never have sex again, I’ll still be here. I love you. That doesn’t have a damn thing to do with your looks or whether or not you can get it up.”

Trey growled. “If you love me so fucking much, then where the fuck were you.”

“What—”

“At the fucking hospital. I woke up and there was Mom. There was Dad. But you were nowhere to be found. You should have fucking been there.” Trey shook his head and looked away. “You know what, you should just go.”

“I’m not—”

“Just go. Get out of here.”

Mark stood. He’d give Trey some privacy for his shower, but he wasn’t leaving, he didn’t give a damn what Trey said. “I’ll be in the living room when you’re ready to get out.” He reached up and pulled the shower head out of it’s holder and left it hanging within easy reach.

“I don’t need your damn help to take a shower.”

Mark turned and walked away before either of them said something they couldn’t take back. He’d known Trey was hurt that he hadn’t been there, and if he could change it, he would. But there wasn’t anything he could do about it. It had happened, and while it sucked, he couldn’t change it. He walked over to the couch and sank down on the soft cushions. His best hope was that it was just anger driving Trey and that when he had time to calm down, that he’d still want Mark around.

He’d known that Trey was upset he hadn’t been there, but hadn’t realized how upset he really was. The more he thought about, the more he beat himself up. If he’d been in the same situation as Trey, he’d feel exactly the same way. He’d be hurt and angry. And he’d probably have lashed out too. Mark sighed. He sat and listened to the shower running, and a little bit later, it shut off. But Trey never called out. Bracing himself for getting yelled at some more, he stood and made his way to the bathroom door and knocked gently.

“Trey?”

“Go away.”

Mark rested his head against the bathroom door and took a deep breath. “Trey, at least let me help you out of the tub, I don’t want you to fall.”

“I don’t need your fucking help.”

Mark heard a thud. Fuck it. Whether Trey wanted his help or not, Mark wasn’t going to let him hurt himself just to prove a point. He didn’t bother knocking and opened the door. He walked in, fully expecting to find Trey sitting in the bottom of the tub and breathed a sigh of relief when Trey was sitting on the edge of the tub. He closed the distance between him and Trey and reached down for him, only to be pushed away.

“Didn’t you hear me? I don’t need your help.” Trey’s voice cracked.

“I heard you, but now listen to me. You can push at me. You can yell at me. I don’t give a shit.” Mark sat on the edge of the tub where he knew Trey could see him. “I know you’re pissed at me, and that’s fine. I’m furious too. With myself. You’re right, I should have been there. Even if they hadn’t let me in, even though at least I knew you weren’t alone, I should have tried and kept trying until they either let me in or released you. If I could do it over again, I’d do everything I could to be at your bedside, because that’s where I belong.” Mark raked his hand through his hair. “I shouldn’t have let anything keep me away when you needed me.” Mark buried his own pain at everything Trey had said and helped Trey out of the tub and to the toilet. He grabbed a towel from the cupboard and helped dry Trey’s leg and stomach. Once he knew there was no risk of getting the bandages wet, he undid the tape and slid the bag off Trey’s leg.

“I can do the rest.” Trey reached out for the towel, and Mark handed it over and stood back while Trey dried his chest and arms.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t there. You have no idea how sorry.Your dad told me I was doing the right thing, and I made the mistake of listening to him. He said that if you’d had the choice, as much as you’d want me at your side, that you’d never forgive yourself if I left and Jackie ended up with Matthew. But it doesn’t matter. I should have called Brent as soon as I knew and had him arrange for someone else to take Matthew while he met with Jackie.”

“Matthew.” Trey turned agonized eyes to him. “Please tell me Jackie didn’t get Matthew.”

“It doesn’t matter.” Mark gathered up the discarded clothes and tossed them in the hamper. “I’ll go get you something clean to wear.”

“Mark, wait.” Trey reached out and grabbed his arm.He no longer sounded angry, he just sounded scared. “Please. Did Jackie get Matthew?”

“No. Brent gave her what she wanted and I kept Matthew safe with me while Brent met with her.” Mark glanced briefly at Trey and turned back to the doorway. “I’ll just get those clothes for you.” He didn’t wait for Trey to say anything else and headed for the bedroom. He detoured to the kitchen, but was back within a couple of minutes with clean underwear, sweats, t-shirt, a bottle of water, and one of Trey’s pain pills. He handed the pill and water over. “No reason for you to be hurting any more than absolutely necessary.”

They didn’t talk while Mark helped Trey get his sweats and under on, but Mark didn’t know if it was just a brief reprieve or whether Trey would start in again. All he could do was wait and see. He left Trey alone to finish getting dressed and headed to the living room. His phone was flashing and he picked it up to see a text from Gary that they had landed and would drop by with dinner and to switch vehicles. He texted back a thank you and then just sat. He heard Trey come out of the bathroom, and heard the thump of the walker followed by the closing of the bedroom door. Trey had made it clear that he wanted to be alone and Mark would respect that. He might not be willing to leave completely just because Trey told him too, but he wouldn’t begrudge him some time alone if that’s what he wanted. He wasn’t sure how much time had passed when he heard the door open behind him. It would be hard for Trey to hold the door open and make it through, so Mark stood and held the door for him.

“Thanks.”

At least Trey hadn’t yelled at him for helping. “No problem.” He waited until Trey was through, shut the door, and returned to his seat on the porch. They sat in silence, but it was Trey that finally broke it.

“My dad was right.” Trey eased down in the chair next to him. He reached towards Mark’s hand, but then pulled back as though he wasn’t sure his touch would be welcome.

“About?” Mark reached over and threaded his fingers with Trey’s.

“That I would never have forgiven myself.” Trey huffed out a breath. “I’m sorry. I should never have lashed out at you. I was just hurt when I woke up and you weren’t there. I thought maybe….” Mark looked over and saw Trey shaking his head. “You know what, it doesn’t matter what I thought. I was wrong.”

“It always matters.” Mark hated himself for hurting Trey. That was the last thing he’d ever wanted to do.

“Not when I’m being stupid.” Trey chuckled. “It all worked out though. I’m here. You’re here. And unless losing my shit drove you away, we’re both going to be here for a long time.”

“I’m not going anywhere.”

“And neither am I.” Trey was quiet for a minute. “Want to go back inside and watch TV?”

“Sure.” Mark stood and helped Trey up, then held the door for him.

It didn’t take long to get Trey situated on the couch and in charge of the remote. Trey flipped through channels and finally settled on one. Mark wasn’t even sure what they were watching, but as Trey leaned against him, his legs stretched out on the couch, he didn’t care. He had Trey in his arms and that was all he really needed. He tilted his head down and brushed his lips over Trey’s neck. “Love you.”

“Love you, too.”

Things were good. For now.

Well, that's it for now. I'm eventually going to go back to these guys once I get some other things off my plate. Let me know what you thought!!! I hope you enjoyed the (somewhat delayed) ride!
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 5
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

'Things were good for now.' What's THAT supposed to mean? I want them to be good forever! lol

 

Wonderful story, Renee! I really enjoyed reading about these two, and also Brent and Trey's parents. The other two adults, who shall forever remain nameless, can just burn in hell. :yes:

 

I'll look forward to seeing these guys again if/when you continue their story. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well, I'm happy the boys are back together, and working through this... but I was caught off guard by Trey's impotency... didn't see that coming, and I want to see if it's permanent, but the story is over. No matter... real love deals with whatever it has to. I love these guy, Renee... thanks for the journey... I will picture them cuddled up on the couch... for now... cheers.... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I've enjoyed the characters, but if there's no plan for a sequel, this is an unsatisfying ending. Mark shoving down his hurt and beating himself up made the story feel unfinished. Also, it's hella short, like you either just wanted to be done with it or you didn't have adequate time to devote to it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/15/2016 04:08 PM, Geemeedee said:

I've enjoyed the characters, but if there's no plan for a sequel, this is an unsatisfying ending. Mark shoving down his hurt and beating himself up made the story feel unfinished. Also, it's hella short, like you either just wanted to be done with it or you didn't have adequate time to devote to it.

Only this part of their story is over. I will be revisiting these guys in the future. I'm not sure what part you're talking about that is short, the story or the chapter? This chapter was actually the 2nd longest out of all 56 of the chapters. The reason behind the short chapters, is that this started out as a flash fiction story. I thought about wrapping everything up in a nice neat package, but there are some things I'm planning to explore in the next part of their story, and to do that, it had to end how it did. Thanks for reading and commenting to the end!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/15/2016 01:05 PM, Headstall said:

Well, I'm happy the boys are back together, and working through this... but I was caught off guard by Trey's impotency... didn't see that coming, and I want to see if it's permanent, but the story is over. No matter... real love deals with whatever it has to. I love these guy, Renee... thanks for the journey... I will picture them cuddled up on the couch... for now... cheers.... Gary...

Thanks for the review, Gary and for joining me on the journey! I'm glad you've enjoyed the story, but this is only the end of this part of their story. This won't be the last of Mark and Trey, and trust me when I say we will be revisiting those things that didn't get resolved.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/15/2016 06:51 AM, Lisa said:

'Things were good for now.' What's THAT supposed to mean? I want them to be good forever! lol

 

Wonderful story, Renee! I really enjoyed reading about these two, and also Brent and Trey's parents. The other two adults, who shall forever remain nameless, can just burn in hell. :yes:

 

I'll look forward to seeing these guys again if/when you continue their story. :)

LOL! Thanks, Lisa! We will definitely be visiting these guys again. It might only be a 5 or 6 chapter story. It might be a 20 chapter story. We'll have to see when I get it written. Thank you for all the great reviews throughout the story and staying with me to the end!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Finally managed to read the last chapters. I've enjoyed the story and your great characters, and I like to think they will have a happy life together. A sequel sounds good :read:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Somehow, I missed reading the last two chapters until today! (bad me). The ending left me wondering "WTF??? :o " But then I read your responses to the other reviewers and I said 'whew, ok' The impotency is probably due to shock and the pain medications, so I have no worries there, but Trey is going to need physical therapy and help with possible PTSD. I'm looking forward to reading part 2. Plus, I want to know how Brent and little Matthew are thriving without that shrew. :evil: So even though I'm months late, I wanted you to know that I thoroughly enjoyed this very long journey that started on a Wednesday long ago. :thankyou:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great story. Two things; the 1k word limit on chapters, why?  I read the story in one sitting so it didnt meqn much to me, but if i was limited to 800 words a week, i would have gone stir crazy!

Second. If this story about how the US military treats its wounded returned service personnel is based on fact then I am even  ore disgusted by them that i thought. Treys treatment was verging on criminal. 

 

Other than that I really enjoyed it, looking forward to the sequel!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hi Renee, thank you for the story, am totally hooked on these guys. I hope you do get a chançe to write the next chapters of their lives for us, in the mean time, in my mind, they are  happily getting through aTreys rehab, with bumpy days, but that’s what life and love is. Thanks again hope to read more soon, john. 

Edited by FSELL
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I am pleased that Trey made it home, hopefully both of them can survive 

all of the trauma that he will go through and it will not affect their relationship too much.

I wonder if Mark had  not already been in a relationship with Trey would he and Brent have got together? After everything what’s her name did to Brent it might 

be eniugh to turn him off women completely.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

😭great story loved it happy they didn’t have to wait a year to be together don’t like how the time was cut short but better than nothing write something about Brent let him Also find love thanks for the story 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..