Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 23. Chapter Twenty-Three

Prompt: "Make yourself at home"

Mark wasn’t sure what to say and was saved from answering by Trey.

“Dad! I can’t believe you said that!”

“What?” Gary looked at his son. “It’s the truth ain’t it? Unless you’re dating some other guy.” He turned his attention back to Mark and released his hand. “I can’t begin to tell you how relieved Diane and I were when he called and told us he wasn’t renewing his commitment.”

Mark released the breath he’d been holding.

“Glad I could help, Mr. Simpson.”

“Bah, call me Gary.” Gary started towards the house. “You boys already been up to the house?”

“Kind of.” Trey and Mark fell into step beside Trey’s dad. “We made it as far as the porch before Mom sent us back to the truck for our bags.”

Gary chuckled and pulled open the front door. He motioned Mark and Trey ahead of him.

“May as well drop your bags in your room and get settled in while I wash up.” Gary motioned towards the back of the house. “Then you can join us in the kitchen.”

“We’ll be there shortly.” Trey smiled at his dad before leading the way up the stairs and through the first door they came to.

Mark followed and dropped his bag at the foot of the bed and sat on the edge.

“Shit, I about died when your dad said about talking you into quitting the military.” Mark raked his fingers through his hair.

“Sorry,”—Trey shut the door–“I should have warned you.” He walked over and pushed Mark’s knees apart and stepped between them. “They really were happy about me deciding not to re-up. They may have supported my decision to join and did what they could to help, but they were never happy about it.”

“I think a lot of people were relieved when you decided not to stay in.”

“Yeah, but I appreciated that you didn’t try and talk me into anything.” Trey leaned down and brushed his lips against Mark’s. “You told me what you went through and let me make my decision from there.”

Mark shrugged.

“It wasn’t my decision to make.”

“Still.” Trey stepped back. “Think you’re ready for some more time with my parents?”

“Yep.” Mark stood and stretched before walking to the door and pulling it open. He motioned for Trey to precede him. “You lead, I’ll follow.”

Trey shook his head but walked out ahead of him and led the way down the stairs. Mark glanced briefly at the pictures that adorned the walls. He’d have to look at them more in depth later and see if there were any embarrassing ones of Trey. Mark grinned and followed Trey into the kitchen where Diane and Gary were seated at the kitchen table.

Diane glanced up when they walked in. She instantly pushed her chair up and started to stand but Trey motioned at her to sit back down.

“Mom, you don’t have to wait on us.” Trey paused by his mom’s chair and kissed her cheek. He moved to the fridge and grabbed a couple of bottles of water before coming back and handing one to Mark.

“Make yourself at home”–Gary motioned to the two chairs across from him and Diane–“and tell us what your plans are.”

“Plans?” Mark sat and twisted the cap off his water.

“Yes.” Diane glanced between Mark and Trey. “What are your plans for while you two are here?”

“Nothing really.” Trey set his bottle on the table. “I just wanted to come up and spend some time with you guys. Plus, I wanted you to meet Mark.”

“I have to say, that surprised me.” Gary lifted his coffee cup and took a sip.

“What do you mean, Dad?’ Trey frowned and stiffened.

“Now, don’t be like that, I didn’t mean anything bad by it.” Gary shook his head. “You should know me better than that.”

“Sorry.”

Mark could see Trey relax slightly, but there were still creases in his forehead.

“All your dad meant was that we only heard about Mark a few weeks ago. We just didn’t expect you to bring him to meet us so quickly.”

Mark bit back his grin. He’d been nervous about meeting Trey’s parents, but he was beginning to think that Trey was even more on edge than he was. He looked over and found himself the subject of Diane’s gaze and swallowed. He’d known it was going to happen, but apparently it was time for the inquisition to start.

“So, Trey told us you used to be in the military, but not what you’re doing now.” Diane took a sip from a glass of what looked like tea.

Mark tried not to squirm in his seat.

“Actually, I haven’t really decided what I’m going to do.” He glanced over and saw Gary watching him, his hands folded on the table and leaning slightly forward, listening. “Originally I’d thought about just using my G.I. Bill and going to school, but now I’m thinking about waiting for a year.”

“So, what are you going to do for that year?”

Mark sighed. He didn’t know Trey’s dad well enough to be able to guess at what he was thinking just by his tone of voice. He decided to just take the words for what they were and not try and inject any extra meaning behind them.

“I’ve started looking for something that I could keep as a part-time job while I’m going to school.” Mark glanced over at Diane and then back at Gary.

“It sounds like you’re getting it figured out, and I’m sure you’ll find something before too long.” Diane turned her attention to Trey. “Have you given any thought to what you’re going to do when you get out?”

“Actually”–Trey glanced at Mark–“I’m going to go to school.”

“So you’ll come home and go to school?” Diane smiled.

“Actually, if things work out like we hope”–Mark saw Trey swallow–“I’ll live with Mark.”

Prompt: "Make yourself at home"
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

They may like Mark now, but I'm sure they won't be shy about their feelings if they think their son is rushing into this with Mark, especially if Trey isn't going to school at home just b/c of Mark.

Link to comment
On 01/30/2014 03:54 AM, Suvitar said:
Such a sweet chapter :thumbup:

Trey´s parents are great and they seem genuinely like Mark, that´s nice.

Thanks for the review Suvitar! I wish I could divulge more about Trey's parents, but I can't without giving away some of what's upcoming in the story, hope you continue to enjoy it and look forward to hearing your thoughts on upcoming chapters!
Link to comment
On 01/30/2014 11:16 AM, Lisa said:
They may like Mark now, but I'm sure they won't be shy about their feelings if they think their son is rushing into this with Mark, especially if Trey isn't going to school at home just b/c of Mark.
Very true Lisa, it will be up to Trey to convince them that it's not just because of Mark. He'll need to convince them that it's what HE really wants. Only time will tell how it will work out. Thanks for the review!
Link to comment

Oooooopus.

I am not so sure that cordiality will extend to moving in with Mark on what they may well consider to be a whim. They've already touched on surprise at Trey bringing Mark to meet them so soon after meeting, so as any sane parent would do, I have a feeling that the boys might have a job on their hands to convince these folks that this is what they really want to do. :P

Reads really much as you'd expect to find any family discussing such issues Renee, so well done with that. :)

Link to comment
On 07/16/2014 11:31 PM, Yettie One said:
Oooooopus.

I am not so sure that cordiality will extend to moving in with Mark on what they may well consider to be a whim. They've already touched on surprise at Trey bringing Mark to meet them so soon after meeting, so as any sane parent would do, I have a feeling that the boys might have a job on their hands to convince these folks that this is what they really want to do. :P

Reads really much as you'd expect to find any family discussing such issues Renee, so well done with that. :)

Yeah, Trey's parents definitely weren't expecting that. I certainly can't fault Trey's parents for being concerned that they are moving too fast. I think any parent would have the same concerns. I'm glad to hear that you felt the chapter was realistic, as I tried to make it feel as though it was something that could really happen. Thanks for the review!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..