Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 3. Chapter Three

Prompt: This part of the story was done off of a picture prompt of a mechanical bull.
“Where are you stationed?” Trey must have seen Mark’s confusion. “I saw your tattoo; not many people outside of the army have that star.”
 
“Oh, me and some of my buddies decided to get the tattoos done before we deployed from Fort Carson in Colorado. I spent a year overseas before getting out about six months ago.” Mark took a swig of his beer while he studied Trey. “What about you?”
 
“I’m a lot closer, Fort Lewis.” There was no reason to add the state, considering that Fort Lewis was only maybe a twenty minute drive from Kerplunked, thirty if traffic was bad. “So why get the tats done if you weren’t re-upping?”
 
Mark shuddered at just the thought of re-enlisting. One tour of duty overseas was enough. Sitting down to chow only to have a mortar come through the top of the mess tent had been enough for him to question his original decision of being career military.
 
Instead of going into all the details he merely shrugged. Trey probably didn’t want to hear his horror stories anyway, even though Mark found himself wanting to share the experience. No one who hadn’t been there knew what it was like, and he hadn’t told his family just how close he’d come to death on multiple occasions.
 
“I haven’t decided yet. My unit is supposed to go overseas in a few months, and I have to decide if I’m going to re-enlist before we leave.” Trey shrugged and took a swallow of his beer before glancing around the bar. “I can’t believe how busy it is in here tonight.”
 
“If you think this is bad, you should’ve seen it last weekend. They were doing this whole cowboy theme, complete with a mechanical bull. It was insane.” Mark hadn’t stayed long, despite the eye candy.
 
“Hey, a table just opened up, want to join me?”
 
“Sure.” Mark slid off his stool and followed behind as Trey led them to a small table tucked in the corner. Mark’s eyes drifted down the line of Trey’s back to rest on the man’s ass, and damn was it a fine ass. Nice and tight, encased in nearly skin tight jeans, it was just begging Mark to reach out and cop a feel. He resisted, but it was tough.
 
He quickly sat, glad for the table that hid his reaction to Trey. He wasn’t typically someone who became intimate with someone right after meeting them, but there was something about Trey that called to him. It wasn’t even just that he was attractive; there was something more he couldn’t quite put his finger on. Given enough time, he was sure he could figure it out.
 
“So …” Trey set his beer on the table and leaned back in his chair. “Now that you’re out of the military, what do you do?”
 
“Nothing at the moment.” Mark waited for the look that he typically got at not being employed but it never came. Instead, Trey just seemed to sit and wait for more.
 
“I had planned to make the military my career and never gave any thought to if I got out. I guess I could try the police academy, since so many ex-military go into law enforcement, but I just don’t feel it’s for me.”
 
Trey nodded. “No sense in going into something that you’re not going to enjoy. What about using your GI bill and going to school?”
 
“That’s what my sister keeps telling me to do, too. It’s a good idea, but before doing that I’d need to decide what to study, and I have no frickin clue what I want to do.” Mark hated the indecision, but it also didn’t make sense to start doing one thing only to find out he hated it.
 
“You don’t have to decide right away. If school is what you want to do, take your general classes to start with. That will at least buy you some time to figure out what you want to major in. I know a few people who did that.” Trey picked up his beer but didn’t take a drink. He stared at it, twisting it in his hands, before suddenly looking back up at Mark. “This is going to sound completely stupid, but ….”
 
“But?” Mark prompted after a minute went by without Trey finishing whatever it was he was going to say.
 
“Would you want to get out of here? Maybe go somewhere a bit quieter? I’d really like to get to know you a bit better, but it’s so busy and loud.” As if to add credence to his words, someone knocked into Trey’s chair, despite their table being slightly secluded.
 
“Why would that sound stupid?” Mark pushed his chair back and stood up. “Unless you have a better idea, we can go back to my place. It’s not much, but I can guarantee it would be a whole lot quieter than here.” He had a moment to second guess the offer before Trey nodded and pushed his own chair back.
 
Mark led the way out of the bar. Taking Trey to his apartment after just meeting was completely out of character for him, but he didn’t question the decision. If nothing else, it bought him the time he needed to figure out exactly what it was about Trey that drew him in. He’d never just clicked with anyone like he had with Trey, and that alone was enough to make him want to explore whatever was happening between them.

Mark smiled. After the disastrous start to his night he hadn’t held out much hope of it getting better. For once, he was glad to be wrong.

Prompt: This part of the story was done off of a picture prompt of a mechanical bull.
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well, that was subtle :P:funny: Talking about getting to know someone. Just take the plunge and sink or swim. This is so much fun Renee. Thanks for sharing :read:

Link to comment

Well at least the night is working out better at the end than the start eh? Our of character to boot, this could be interesting.

Link to comment

Too short, too short! lol

 

I really like Trey already! Looking forward to their time in Mark's apartment, trying to get to know one another. ;)

Link to comment
On 06/22/2013 11:05 PM, joann414 said:
Well, that was subtle :P:funny: Talking about getting to know someone. Just take the plunge and sink or swim. This is so much fun Renee. Thanks for sharing :read:
Thank you JoAnn. I've had a lot of fun on this story so far.
Link to comment
On 06/23/2013 05:18 AM, Daithi said:
Well at least the night is working out better at the end than the start eh? Our of character to boot, this could be interesting.
Thanks Daithi! Defnitely couldn't have his night end on a bad note, could I? That wouldn't have been any fun.
Link to comment
On 06/23/2013 07:13 AM, Lisa said:
Too short, too short! lol

 

I really like Trey already! Looking forward to their time in Mark's apartment, trying to get to know one another. ;)

Thanks Lisa! I know the chapters are short, since I'm only allowed 1K a week. I thought about combining two weeks of writing into one, but in the end I decided against it. Glad you are enjoying the story.
Link to comment

Mark´s evening is getting a better ending than where it started from :2thumbs: Looking forward reading more....I wouldn´t mind reading longer chapters thou ;)

Link to comment
On 10/07/2013 05:37 AM, Suvitar said:
Mark´s evening is getting a better ending than where it started from :2thumbs: Looking forward reading more....I wouldn´t mind reading longer chapters thou ;)
Thanks for the review! Had to make his evening somewhat better after making him sit through that awful date. I'd love to do longer chapters with this story, but I have to keep to the guidelines of the group that I belong to which is between 500 and 1000 words for each prompt. At least I'm sticking closer to the 1000 mark :D
Link to comment
On 10/21/2013 03:24 AM, Daddydavek said:
These chapters are tantalizing but short! On to the next....
I did debate on combining chapters for posting on GA, but decided against it. I know it keeps the chapters short, but I'm just glad I've been able to keep posting the story regularly! Glad you are still enjoying it! Thank you!
Link to comment

I love the simple air to this Renee.

It's fresh, light and flows off the tongue.

Sounds like Mark has a touch of a man crush going on! :P

Link to comment
On 11/26/2013 11:42 AM, Yettie One said:
I love the simple air to this Renee.

It's fresh, light and flows off the tongue.

Sounds like Mark has a touch of a man crush going on! :P

I'm so glad that you're enjoying it. This was one story that I definitely worried about and not just because of the shortness of the chapters. Usually all my stories go through my team, but because of the way this is being written, this one hasn't.

 

As for Mark and him having a touch of a man crush going on, yeah, maybe a little bit. LOL.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..