Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 11. Chapter Eleven

The Prompt: "Nothing else matters."

“Maybe this wasn’t such a great idea.” Mark was all for turning around and just taking Trey back to his apartment. He still wasn’t sure how he’d let Jackie talk him into bringing Trey to her place for dinner.

“Would you relax, it’s going to be fine.” Trey must have caught his doubtful look. “Look on the bright side; at least I’m not coming out of your bedroom this time.”

Mark grinned and shook his head before knocking once on the door. Usually he’d just go in if she was expecting him, but since he had Trey with him he waited until Brent came to the door and let them in. Brent quirked his eyebrow at him and he just shrugged and followed his brother-in-law inside, pausing long enough to shut the door behind Trey. When he turned back, he found Brent perched on the back of the couch studying Trey.

“Trey, meet my brother-in-law, Brent.” Mark gave Brent as stern a look as he could muster. “Brent, this is Trey.”

“Good to meet you.” Trey held out a hand.

“Same to you.” Brent moved from his perch and took the offered hand but didn’t say anything more before releasing Trey and moving towards the kitchen. He came back seconds later with three beers in hand and Jackie trailing behind. He handed out the beers, the caps already removed.

“I’m so glad you were able to make it,” Jackie moved forward and wrapped her arms around Mark, “Brent kept betting me that you’d back out.” She turned to her husband, “I win.”

“Thanks a lot.” Brent grumbled at Mark. “I was sure you’d find an excuse not to come.”

“Oh be quiet.” Jackie smacked Brent on the arm. “They’re here, nothing else matters.”

“I had to come and see my favorite nephew.” Mark glanced around the living room. “Speaking of Matthew, where is he?”

“Actually, he’s at the babysitters for the night. We thought it would be nice to have a child free night and really give us all a chance to visit.” Jackie’s innocent smile didn’t fool Mark for a minute. He knew exactly why Jackie had gotten a babysitter for the night.

She and Brent would now be able to completely focus on giving Trey the third degree all night. He really wished he had given in to the desire to back out of dinner and just taken Trey back to his apartment for the evening. He glanced from Jackie to Trey and back to Jackie.

“Jackie….”

“You’re such a worrywart, I promise, we’ll behave ourselves.” She grinned at him. “For the most part.”

That was exactly what he was worried about. Jackie wouldn’t know the word behave if it reached up and bit her in the ass and Brent really wasn’t much better.

“Trey, why don’t you make yourself comfortable while Mark helps me bring out some snacks? Dinner is going to be another half hour or so.” Jackie didn’t even wait for an answer before she headed back towards the kitchen.

Mark made no move to follow, unwilling to just abandon Trey, especially as he knew what his sister was trying to do. He didn’t know what questions Jackie had charged Brent with asking Trey, but he was damned if he was going to make it easy on them.

“Aren’t you going to help your sister?” Trey took a swig of his beer and raised his eyebrows.

“Nope, I’m sure she can handle it.” Mark took a drink of his own beer and settled onto the couch. Seconds later Jackie hollered from the kitchen.

“Mark! Get your ass in here and help me!”

Brent smirked. “You know she’s not going to give up. You may as well give in.”

“Or you can help her, it doesn’t really matter which of us helps her, does it?” Mark smirked back. Two could play at this game.

“Oh, just go already.” Trey sat next to Mark on the couch and slid a hand behind his back and urged him to his feet. “Go, I’m fine.”

With a last doubtful look at Trey, Mark headed out of the room and towards the kitchen. He knew Trey wasn’t likely to be scared away, he was made of sterner stuff than that, but damn it, that didn’t mean he liked Jackie’s little game. He stepped into the kitchen, determined to tell her so. He found her leaning against the counter.

“Damn it Jackie, is this really necessary?”

“What? Me wanting a minute alone with my brother?” Jackie glared at him. “What’s so wrong about that?”

Okay, that wasn’t what he’d been expecting. “Huh?”

“Is Trey planning to re-enlist?”

He wondered if he looked as dumbfounded as he looked. “He hasn’t decided yet, why?”

“I’ve seen the way you look at him.” Jackie shook her head. “You’re falling for him.”

“I haven’t known him for very long.” Mark wouldn’t deny that he already had strong feelings for Trey but it would take time to figure out where, if anywhere, those feelings would take them.

“What’s going to happen if he re-enlists? What if he re-enlists and he goes to a different base? You’ll go with him.” Jackie’s shoulders slumped. “I just got you back; I don’t want to lose you again.”

“Jackie…” Mark sighed and walked over to wrap his arms around his sisters. He couldn’t tell her that her worries weren’t valid, but the truth was, he didn’t know. He didn’t know what would happen between him and Trey, or what would happen if Trey re-enlisted. He couldn’t soothe away her fears. He wished he could. “All we can do is deal with that, if and when it happens. All I ask is that you give him a chance. Please? For me?”

He felt his sister nod and kissed the top of her head.

“Now, what did you need me to take out there?”

So what did you think of the chapter? Do you think Jackie's feelings are well founded, or do you think she's worrying for nothing? Would love to hear your thoughts!
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I can see Jackie's point she just got her brother back she doesnt really want to lose him again. So why did she pick tonight of all nights to worry about it. She sees him alot is this really the night to bring it all up. At least with Mark's interrogation worry it was sorta expected but this not so much. It will be iteresting to see what happens the rest of the dinner and what Trey is going thru in the other room.

Link to comment

Jackie's feelings are definitely valid. She raises a good point: if Mark falls in love with Trey, what's stopping him from moving to wherever Trey will be stationed? But I'm a bit confused. I thought Trey was getting deployed in three weeks. Did I miss something? Doesn't that mean you're enlisted? lol

Link to comment

Being in the military means dependents and loved ones are uprooted due to re-assignments all the time. They deal with it because that's the way it is. Most people have no clue how hard it is or how often it happens. These people all sacrifice so much and their families do too. Thanks to all our veterans and their understanding families.

Link to comment
On 10/21/2013 03:29 AM, Daithi said:
I can see Jackie's point she just got her brother back she doesnt really want to lose him again. So why did she pick tonight of all nights to worry about it. She sees him alot is this really the night to bring it all up. At least with Mark's interrogation worry it was sorta expected but this not so much. It will be iteresting to see what happens the rest of the dinner and what Trey is going thru in the other room.
I think a lot of it is that she's really faced with the fact that its a possibility for the first time since he's been with Trey. Sure, she saw Trey at the apartment and she's known that they've been together, but Mark is bringing Trey to dinner. That's bound to bring the feelings out. Thanks Daithi!
Link to comment
On 10/21/2013 04:04 AM, Lisa said:
Jackie's feelings are definitely valid. She raises a good point: if Mark falls in love with Trey, what's stopping him from moving to wherever Trey will be stationed? But I'm a bit confused. I thought Trey was getting deployed in three weeks. Did I miss something? Doesn't that mean you're enlisted? lol
Yes she does raise some very valid points and concerns and they are definitely things that Mark will have to think about. As far as the talking about re-enlisting. Trey's enlistment is due to end towards the end of his tour of duty and he's trying to make the decision as to when he will re-enlist after his tour. So yes, he's enlisted now, but after his tour of duty, he could very well get out of the military, or re-up for another four years... He just had to decide what he's going to do. Thank you Lisa!
Link to comment
On 10/21/2013 11:58 AM, Daddydavek said:
Being in the military means dependents and loved ones are uprooted due to re-assignments all the time. They deal with it because that's the way it is. Most people have no clue how hard it is or how often it happens. These people all sacrifice so much and their families do too. Thanks to all our veterans and their understanding families.
*Nods* I agree! Between friends and family who have been in the military, as well as personal experience, I know what it's like to have to relocate due to military orders. It sucks and can be so hard on the family. I second your thank you to all our veterans and their families! Thank you Daddydave!
Link to comment

Written like a typical sister would. :D I can see you've had some practice! ;)

For what it is worth, I know a few friends just like that. Nosey parkers. hehe. Funny how we want to know all the gen, even before the person holding the gen has had a chance to work it out.

True to life as always Renee. I'll press on now. :)

Link to comment
On 07/16/2014 02:26 PM, Yettie One said:
Written like a typical sister would. :D I can see you've had some practice! ;)

For what it is worth, I know a few friends just like that. Nosey parkers. hehe. Funny how we want to know all the gen, even before the person holding the gen has had a chance to work it out.

True to life as always Renee. I'll press on now. :)

Hey now, I'll have you know that I've never been a nosy sister... I don't think... well, not like Jackie anyways.

 

I'm glad that the story is feeling realistic to you as that is something that I've strived to accomplish in these short chapters. Sometimes it can be quite the challenge! Hope you enjoy the rest!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..