Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 32. Chapter Thirty-Two

Prompt: I’m going to ask one last time.”

“Hey, where you taking off to?” Trey joined him and Mark led the way up the stairs.

“Nowhere. Just figured I’d double check that I didn’t forget anything.” Mark stepped into the room they’d been sharing, his eyes immediately going to the bags sitting on the foot of the bed.

“I thought we both did that before we went down to dinner.” Trey moved over to sit on the side of the bed and looked at Mark. “You want to tell me what’s really going on here?”

Mark leaned against the wall and studied Trey. He needed to keep his distance, otherwise he was going to let Trey talk him into going back down and he felt, down in his bones, that Trey needed the time alone with his parents.

“You okay?” Trey started to stand but Mark motioned him to sit back down.

“I’m fine.” He sighed and raked his fingers through his hair. “I’ve had a great time up here.”

“But?”

“I just”—Mark caved and moved over to sit next to Trey—“I know how much it’s going to suck for me knowing you’re leaving for a year. I can only imagine how tough it is on your parents. I really think that tonight, you need to spend some time with just them. I was trying to give you guys that and make myself scarce.”

“You don’t need to do that.” Trey sounded so sure about it.

“Yeah, I do. I’ll still have time with you once we leave here, but this is the last chance you have to spend time with them before you leave.” Mark twisted on the bed to face Trey and smiled when he saw him watching him. “It would have sucked to have lost this time together, and it’s been great meeting your parents, but for tonight, go spend time with just them.”

“You sure?”

“Yep.” Mark stood and walked over to his packed bag and dug around in the bottom of it. “I came prepared.” He pulled out a book and held it up for Trey’s inspection.

Trey stood and walked over to him. He looked at Mark for a moment and pressed a fleeting kiss to his lips before turning and walking to the door. Trey paused and looked back.

“If you change your mind, or get bored—“

“I know, now go and enjoy your time with your parents.” Mark waved him out the door. After he left he moved the bags off the bed and lay down, his back propped against the headboard, and opened his book. He wouldn’t get bored, but even if he did, he wasn’t going to interrupt Trey’s time with his folks.

***


“I already know the answer, but I’m going to ask one last time. Are you sure you boys can’t stay just a little bit longer?” Diane’s eyes pooled with tears as they all stood next to Mark’s truck.

Mark wanted to cave and agree to stay a few more hours, but he knew they really did need to get on the road. Besides, a couple more hours wasn’t going to make Trey’s leaving any easier.

“I’m sorry Mom, I wish we could.” Trey reached out and pulled Diane into his arms.

Mark stood back and watched the goodbye and had to fight his own tears as he saw Diane’s shoulders shake. Gary stepped forward and wrapped his arms around both his wife and son and held them close and Mark had to swallow down the lump in his throat.

He’d known it would be hard on Trey’s parents, but he hadn’t realized how hard it would be to watch. He waited quietly until the three separated and Trey’s gaze met his own to hold up the camera Trey had brought.

“One more picture?”

“Oh yeah.” Trey smiled and reached up to wipe away the few tears that had managed to escape. Gary wrapped an arm around Trey’s shoulder and Trey turned Diane so she stood in the middle in front of him and his dad.

Mark snapped a half a dozen pictures to make sure he’d gotten a good one before nodding and moved to set the camera in the truck.

“Oh no, that thing has a timer on it, I want one of the four of us.” Trey took the camera from him and moved everyone back away from the truck a bit. He maneuvered everyone, leaving a Trey sized space between Diane and Mark, and then jumped up into the bed of the truck. He fiddled with the camera for a minute before he set it on the bed rail and climbed carefully back out of the truck. Trey moved back to the camera and glanced over his shoulder before pushing the button and darting over into the space he’d left.

Mark nearly jumped as a hand settled on his shoulder but forced himself to keep looking at the camera as the light started to flash, slow at first and then faster. He heard the click and a second later Trey moved away and back to the truck.

“Yeah, that’s a good one.” Trey nodded and handed the camera to him.

He looked down and swallowed the emotion. He hadn’t realized that Diane had once again moved more to the front, leaving Trey right next to his dad. One of Gary’s large hands rested on his wife’s shoulder, but the other one reached past Trey and rested on Mark’s.

“Okay, now let me take one of you and Trey.” Diane reached out and plucked the camera from his hand. Mark wasn’t going to object, but a part of him wondered if taking different pictures was Diane’s way of keeping him and Trey there just a little bit longer.

Trey stepped close and wrapped his arm around Mark’s waist.

“You know what she’s doing, right?” Trey grinned at him and Mark smiled back.

“Yep, but can’t say as I blame her.”

“Yeah, me neither.” Trey looked back at his mom and smiled for the camera, but it took a second for Mark to do the same.

He definitely couldn’t blame Diane. He was going to have a hard time watching Trey walk out the door when they got back, knowing that there was always the risk that it would be the last time he’d see him. He fought back the fear and forced a smile to his lips as he faced Diane as she clicked away with the camera.

Only once Diane had lowered the camera did Trey step away.

“Guess it’s time to go.” Trey walked towards his parents and took the camera from his mom. He wrapped her once more in his arms and kissed her cheek before releasing the small woman and turning to his dad.

“You take care of yourself.” Gary reached out and pulled his son into his arms.

“I will, Dad. Promise.” Trey pulled back as Mark walked over.

Mark gave Diane a hug and held out his hand to Gary. He was surprised when Gary used it to pull him in for a hug as well.

“Don’t forget, you’re welcome here anytime.” Gary released him and stepped back.

“I won’t, and I’ll see you in a couple weeks to get you set up with the webcam.”

“Oh, that one”—Gary pointed to Trey—“talked me into a new computer, providing you’re willing to help set it up and show us how to use it. Might take a few days.”

“I’ll plan on a few days then.” Mark smiled and stepped away. He watched Trey give a final goodbye to both his parents before turning and climbing into the truck. Only once they were both buckled in did he start the truck and pull away. He risked a glance in the rearview mirror and could see both Gary and Diane watching the truck drive away.

His heart broke for them. In only another day, that was going to be him.

Sorry about the long delay getting this chapter out! First I went on vacation and then came home to family stuff, but here it is! Hope you enjoy it and I'd love to hear from you, either via a review or in the discussion thread! If you're not a member and would like to leave a review, joining is easy and free!
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This was such a sad chapter, you got me in tears :,( It´s hard to say goodbye when someone´s going to be away for a long time and must be devastating to say goodbye and to know it may be a final goodbye. Really felt sorry for them all.

Link to comment

Good-byes are always hard when you know it might be for the last time....

A poignant chapter written with sensitivity and compassion. You made your readers feel like they were walking in the 'rents shoes!

Link to comment

This was a really sad chapter, Renee. One of my son's best friends joined the Army (I probably mentioned it in a previous review), and he was deployed to Afghanistan a few months ago. I can't imagine the sadness and fear that his parents and brother are going through.

 

And I would be doing the same thing as Diane - finding any excuse to keep them there a bit longer.

 

Terrific chapter, Renee.

Link to comment

Well I'll be damned if this chapter doesn't make it seem like a final goodbye, so sad!

Link to comment

That was a tearful chapter...such nice people...such a sad goodbye...a foundation is building and I just hope it turns out well...

Link to comment
On 05/07/2014 07:51 PM, Suvitar said:
This was such a sad chapter, you got me in tears :,( It´s hard to say goodbye when someone´s going to be away for a long time and must be devastating to say goodbye and to know it may be a final goodbye. Really felt sorry for them all.
Thank you for the review Suvitar. It was a sad chapter, but unfortunately, it had to be done. Though I'm sure if Mark, Diane, and Gary could think of a way to prevent Trey from going, they would. I've watched friends deploy and it was hard, I can't even imagine how it was for their families.
Link to comment
On 05/08/2014 01:19 AM, Daddydavek said:
Good-byes are always hard when you know it might be for the last time....

A poignant chapter written with sensitivity and compassion. You made your readers feel like they were walking in the 'rents shoes!

Thank you for the review, and the compliment, DDK! It's sometimes tough to get the emotions right, but I've tried my best and I'm glad that you feel like I've succeeded.
Link to comment
On 05/08/2014 02:43 AM, Lisa said:
This was a really sad chapter, Renee. One of my son's best friends joined the Army (I probably mentioned it in a previous review), and he was deployed to Afghanistan a few months ago. I can't imagine the sadness and fear that his parents and brother are going through.

 

And I would be doing the same thing as Diane - finding any excuse to keep them there a bit longer.

 

Terrific chapter, Renee.

Thank you for the review Lisa! It is definitely a scary thing when people we care about are deployed to places where we know they can be hurt. We don't want to let them go, but there's little choice in the matter. I'm sure all of them are just counting the days until he comes home, just as Trey's parents and Mark will be.
Link to comment
On 08/03/2014 11:46 AM, Headstall said:
That was a tearful chapter...such nice people...such a sad goodbye...a foundation is building and I just hope it turns out well...
Thank you Gary. Unfortunately, it was time for the guys to leave and head back. The time for Trey to leave is looming and the guys need to face it.
Link to comment
On 05/08/2014 09:27 PM, WriterJT said:
Well I'll be damned if this chapter doesn't make it seem like a final goodbye, so sad!
Thank you for the review JT. I admit that the chapter does make it seem like a final goodbye, but in truth, that is the reality of when a loved one is being deployed and I wanted to really show that here. There is always the knowledge that it might be the last time you see them and while you hope for the best, you have to prepare yourself for the worst and you don't want to leave anything left unsaid.
Link to comment

So good to be back with these two. :) Glad you are posting again.

 

Goodbye's are never easy, and in such a circumstance, even more so. Problem with such goodbye's are that they seem to continue over and over as we say goodbye to loved one's, friends, familiar places, our sense of security.

It leaves you feeling drained. Feel for Mark and Trey, but slightly more so for Trey on this occasion.

Link to comment
On 09/12/2014 02:54 AM, Yettie One said:
So good to be back with these two. :) Glad you are posting again.

 

Goodbye's are never easy, and in such a circumstance, even more so. Problem with such goodbye's are that they seem to continue over and over as we say goodbye to loved one's, friends, familiar places, our sense of security.

It leaves you feeling drained. Feel for Mark and Trey, but slightly more so for Trey on this occasion.

I'm glad you are enjoying it Yettie!

 

You're right, good-byes aren't easy. I can understand why you might feel slightly more for Trey with all of this, he has to keep saying good-bye to different people. It's not like with Mark, or even Gary and Diane. They all have to say good-bye to one person, albeit a loved one, but Trey has to say it to one after another. Thanks for the review!!!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..