Jump to content
    WolfM
  • Author
  • 2,095 Words
  • 6,400 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Journal of Chris Williams - 9. Journal 9

Journal entry 12:

 

Being a Friday, when I got home I picked up what I needed and reported to the jail. It was my usual routine after returning from class since I spent weekends in lockup. I don’t mind and knew it was part of coming here. A part of me still thinks I deserve to be in jail for what I’ve done. Seriously, if all this happened strictly in the human world, with their justice system I’d be locked away for years. Maybe even life. Giving up my freedom for attempting to take a life is a small price to me now. Besides there are never any distractions since I’m usually the only inmate. I can get a lot of studying done in my cell. My goal was to work on one of my term papers this weekend. If I put my books aside to clear my head, whoever is on duty will talk to me for a while. It breaks up the quiet. When I’m studying, they never say a word except to drop off my food. Who knew prison guards could be so nice? Anyways, I’m getting too off track with random thoughts. When I arrived to check in, the guard told me the alpha had left instructions for me to return to my apartment. I guess I wouldn’t be spending the weekend in my cell. So much for quiet study time. I was told I needed to pack some work clothes and boots for the weekend and be ready to leave by 6:00 a.m.

In the morning, my escorts picked me up early. I immediately felt bad because they usually have their weekends free from watching me. Kyle was a little too awake and chipper for such an ungodly hour on a Saturday. We drove out of town and before long left the pavement behind for dirt roads. He said we were near Clear Lake. Like I knew where the hell that was. I understood the part about being just south of Mount Hood since I could actually see it. For all I knew, that was where they were told to dump my body, not that I thought they’d ever do that to me. God, the forest here is beautiful. A few minutes later, we passed Clear Lake, and it was smooth as glass. The reflection of Mount Hood on the water’s surface was spectacular. I would love to go running out there. Maybe run right up the side of the mountain and play in the snow. The air smelled fresh and the scent of the pine trees was so different from where I grew up. It isn’t the home I always knew, but I love it here. Being away from town and especially Portland was calming to my wolf. I could hear him whining a little to get out and play in the forest. I’d have to keep him in check, or he’d cause me to shift.

We came all the way out here to repair a fire lookout tower. The guys told me it’s one of several in the area. Kyle explained the pack owns it and rents it out part of the year. I guess kind of like an AirBnB for people wanting to stay in a rustic one room building with an incredible view. During the summer, the Forest Service rents it for its originally intended purpose. They man it to keep watch for fires. I’d say it was about five stories tall and a single, big room with windows all around it. The thing was built on top of an open framework base.

The view of the forest from the top was spectacular. You could see for miles, but that was the reason it was built. The fire sighting and map table sat in the center of the room with the old style Osborne Fire Finder on the round platformfor figuring out distance and azimuth to a fire. There was a sink and a small gas stove on one wall with an equally small, propane refrigerator next to it. A couple gas lanterns scattered around finished off the rustic look. There was only one electric light I could see as most of the power available would be used for radios while the Forest Service operated it or for running the water pump. Kyle did point out the LED lights running along the stairs. The three remaining walls each had a platform that could be used as a bench or bed and even folded up to create a desk. Everyplace that could be used for storage without blocking windows was used. The final piece of the interior was a wood stove for heat in the winter. If you needed to go, it was down the stairs and over to the outhouse.

A few beams were in need of replacement in the cross bracing, more due to age than rot, and a few of the steps needed repairs. It looked like some of the decking around the top was showing signs of rot and would need to be fixed too. The entire tower was to be painted while we were there, plus we serviced the pump and electrical equipment. We got to work right away after dividing the jobs. The guys would be handling the repairs, while I grabbed a bucket of paint and started working my way around giving it a fresh coat.

We worked for several hours before taking our lunch break. They joked around with each other and did include me sometimes. I think Kyle was trying to get me to open up a little. We’ve been talking more since he introduced me to his brother. I know they have to be around me, so I try not to push anything. They seem cool, and I’d like to be friends with them, but I’m not sure I really know how to be a friend. I think I’m learning from being around them so much.

After lunch, we put in several more hours of work. I spent a lot of time hanging on to the skeletal frame rolling paint on. I worked my way around from one side to the next. I would finish one level and climb down to the one below me. When I’d run low on paint, one of the guys would hook a new bucket to my rope and pull it up to where I could get at it. It wasn’t hard work, just time consuming. It looked much better already. I got most of the structure painted on Saturday and knew I could finish it on Sunday. The last thing to paint would be the decking around the observation room. The stairs could wait until before we left. They’d have replaced the last rotted out board by then. No sense painting something early you have to walk on.

Sunday afternoon, the guys inspected the water tank for leaks and checked the water pump worked properly. They also made sure the propane tank didn’t need to be filled yet. The last equipment check for the weekend was testing the status of the batteries connected to solar panels and making sure the backup generator worked. While they did all that, I finished painting. Needless to say, there was a lot for us to do in just two days. The tower looked as good as new when we finished. Between the brown of the support structure and stairs and the green on the roof and upper level, it blended in well with the trees.

The best part of the weekend was Saturday night. By the time evening came around, we were all hungry. It takes a lot of energy putting in a hard day’s work. Both of their stomachs were growling as much as mine. They told me we were going to go hunt for our dinner to make things easier than cooking and having to clean up the kitchen area. I tried to protest and remind them I wasn’t allowed to shift. They assured me the alpha had approved it. It felt so good to shift and not be in a small space. My wolf wanted to run and enjoy the forest. It wasn’t easy, but I told him to behave and follow the others so we didn’t get into trouble. Or get them into trouble. My shift was just as painful as the other times since I got my ankle monitor. It hurts like hell, but I need to be careful not to damage it. I know I was whining and panting hard from the difficult shift. Kyle frowned as he watched my shift. He sat with me until my breathing returned to normal. It felt strangely soothing as he petted me while making sure I was okay. He checked my tracker to see it was still working right while Corey shifted. In all the time we’d spent together, Corey was still a mystery to me. He was always so quiet, except when he goes wolf I found.

After I’d recovered, and we were all in our wolf, we went for a run and it felt glorious. It was like going for my first one all over again. The wind in my face, the scents of the forest, and the sounds of life all around us. This is where I’m happiest and feel free of any problems. I stayed right at their side as we ran. Both my wolf and I felt like pups. I was happily running and jumping over logs and through branches. I think the guys knew how much I needed it, so they took their time to drag it out as much as we could.

Eventually, the run turned to a hunt. Our original purpose was to find dinner. We had been out for quite some time when we picked up the scent of our prey. There was a herd of deer nearby. The breeze was in our favor as we made our approach. One of the bucks didn’t look as strong as the others, and he was our pick. The strong would be left alone to protect the herd. Corey woofed out some instructions to Kyle and me as we separated our target from the rest. We boxed in the deer to prevent him making an escape while Corey went for the kill. He was clean and efficient at it, breaking the deer’s neck in one quick move, killing it instantly. This was so different from hunting with Michael. He always made the animal suffer before finally ending its life. Corey and Kyle threw their heads back and howled their triumph in the hunt. I couldn’t resist and soon joined them, relishing the glory of being a wolf.

They dug into our meal. A few times, Corey glanced over and woofed or growled at me to share in the kill, but I waited. Even though they kept encouraging me to eat, I sat back and waited while they had their fill. Only then did I get my portion. With our full bellies, we relaxed before running off to find some water to drink. We ran through the forest enjoying the freedom and beauty of nature before returning to the lookout station and our human form.

Getting our sleeping bags from the truck, we took them up to the top. We selected the bed we wanted and settled in for the night. Corey, who rarely spoke, crossed his arms as his eyes narrowed on me. “You didn’t need to wait until we finished before you ate.” I explained that as an outsider it wouldn’t have been right to eat ‘til they had. He scoffed at that. “Dude, we’re all friends here, and we ran and hunted as a pack tonight.” I nodded and stayed silent. I know I had a tear in my eye as I finally spoke. “After what I left, I don’t really know what a friend is. Being around you guys, I think I’m starting to learn for the first time.” I gazed out into the night sky from inside the dark tower. It capped off the evening perfectly. It was absolutely clear and there was just enough moonlight reflecting off the snow and glaciers covering the top of Mount Hood. It was the happiest I’d been since I arrived at Columbia River. Not just from the run and hunt, but from the guys calling me their friend.

I thanked them for bringing me out. They told me maybe they’d get to take me to one of the other towers soon.

Copyright © 2017 WolfM; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 89
  • Love 35
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Surprise, surprise we seem to be progressing it would be really interesting to see if anything developes between them time will Tel. Great story 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Chris is moving into a space where friendship and all its greatest possibilities become probable. I feel Kyle is basically really extroverted and friendly , but that quiet Corey is the dark horse... uhm wolf. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I am happy Chris had some wolf time! I am curious to see where friendships will form and wondering if friendship will develope into more.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Glad to see that Chris was able to let the wolf out to play; and hunt.  I have to admit that I would think it would be really hard to transform but have to stay in a small place and not be able to run while in wolf form.  Chris seemed to be more on an even keel this chapter...  Hope he starts to have more good days as he comes to understand himself and his actions from the past...

  • Like 5
Link to comment
20 hours ago, JayT said:

Awwww Kyle sat with him through his shift...hopefully Chris won't be too freaked out when he figures out Kyle might like him 

:)

19 hours ago, BlindAmbition said:

I also wonder if Kyle is attracted to Chris. I was also thinking he might have pulled some strings to get Chris freed from jail for the weekend. 
 The question is... Will Chris be ready to accept that Kyle might be interested... Will he be receptive? 

:)

19 hours ago, JayT said:

we know he has had sex with guys...but before it was all about dominance and getting off...he is already considering Kyle a friend....can he separate himself from those old habits???

And the author remains unsurprisingly quiet on possibilities between Chris and Kyle :P

  • Like 5
Link to comment
19 hours ago, mikedup said:

Surprise, surprise we seem to be progressing it would be really interesting to see if anything developes between them time will Tel. Great story 

Thanks Mike :)

18 hours ago, deville said:

Chris is moving into a space where friendship and all its greatest possibilities become probable. I feel Kyle is basically really extroverted and friendly , but that quiet Corey is the dark horse... uhm wolf. 

:)  

17 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

I am happy Chris had some wolf time! I am curious to see where friendships will form and wondering if friendship will develope into more.

:)  Still remaining quiet on possible developments between them

2 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

Glad to see that Chris was able to let the wolf out to play; and hunt.  I have to admit that I would think it would be really hard to transform but have to stay in a small place and not be able to run while in wolf form.  Chris seemed to be more on an even keel this chapter...  Hope he starts to have more good days as he comes to understand himself and his actions from the past...

He needed some wolf time and earned the privilege of going on a hunt.  Understanding it is part of his punishment doesn't make being restricted to a small space in his wolf any easier. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

It would be a bit, well more like, quite, cruel for Chris to have to shift from human to wolf with a tracking monitor bound to his ankle; although both Kyle and Corey tried to keep an eye on him during his transformation, there wouldn't be a lot that they could do if anything went wrong ...  

 

The great outdoors was a welcome change for all of us as the last few entries in Chris's journal left me with a stifling sense of claustrophobia, maintenance work never sounded better (not really, I'm a die hard couch potato) :gikkle:  So, I suppose the painful shift was a fair trade off for Chris, not to be confined in a jail cell but to be running free as a pack of three and hunting as well ...

 

A little sad that at the age of 19 did Chris start to feel enough trust to make some real friends ...

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, hohochan657 said:

It would be a bit, well more like, quite, cruel for Chris to have to shift from human to wolf with a tracking monitor bound to his ankle; although both Kyle and Corey tried to keep an eye on him during his transformation, there wouldn't be a lot that they could do if anything went wrong ...  

 

The great outdoors was a welcome change for all of us as the last few entries in Chris's journal left me with a stifling sense of claustrophobia, maintenance work never sounded better (not really, I'm a die hard couch potato) :gikkle:  So, I suppose the painful shift was a fair trade off for Chris, not to be confined in a jail cell but to be running free as a pack of three and hunting as well ...

 

A little sad that at the age of 19 did Chris start to feel enough trust to make some real friends ...

 

 

As far as the tracker goes, about the most that could happen to it is damaging it causing a violation alert to be set off.  The slow and painful shift is difficult for him or any other Lycan, but not inherently dangerous.  Though there is always a chance of something going wrong.  

A little pain for a chance to run and hunt would definitely be a fair trade off.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Bft

Posted (edited)

I think that Kyle likes Chris as he spends a bit more time with Chris than Corey does 

Edited by Bft
  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 5/24/2017 at 1:03 AM, WolfM said:

:)

:)

And the author remains unsurprisingly quiet on possibilities between Chris and Kyle :P

Oh damn, well at least all of the chapters are written so I don’t have to wait to see what happens with the boys 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I love that Kyle sat with Chris. It looks like Chris might have a true supportive friend in Kyle

  • Like 4
Link to comment
21 hours ago, bearbtm said:

I love that Kyle sat with Chris. It looks like Chris might have a true supportive friend in Kyle

Kyle is based on a real person in my life and he definitely is a truly supportive friend. Just the kind of person people like Chris need.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

The nice part of this chapter is that Chris is learning about real friendship.  It is also nice that the wolf has been let out to enjoy the freedom he finds in the forest.  You describe this very well.  I know, because I was born and raised near here.  I built a home for my retirement on the slopes of Mt Hood and often hiked thru this magnificent forest.  Great chapter.  

  • Love 5
Link to comment
18 hours ago, raven1 said:

The nice part of this chapter is that Chris is learning about real friendship.  It is also nice that the wolf has been let out to enjoy the freedom he finds in the forest.  You describe this very well.  I know, because I was born and raised near here.  I built a home for my retirement on the slopes of Mt Hood and often hiked thru this magnificent forest.  Great chapter.  

Thank you, Raven. I very much want to visit the area and see Mt. Hood and the other places I describe in this book. As fun as it was finding things on Google Maps, I'll enjoy experiencing it like Chris did. Finding the lookout tower and building the scene around it made for a great way to let Kyle and Corey build as people in addition to showing Chris they're more than just his escorts.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, WolfM said:

Thank you, Raven. I very much want to visit the area and see Mt. Hood and the other places I describe in this book. As fun as it was finding things on Google Maps, I'll enjoy experiencing it like Chris did. Finding the lookout tower and building the scene around it made for a great way to let Kyle and Corey build as people in addition to showing Chris they're more than just his escorts.

It is spectacular and you will see a lot if you take the Mount Hood Loop as a weekend trip.  However, I you love hiking, plan on spending a lot more time.  There are many hikes thru a variety of forests. Paradise Park at the timberline of Mt Hood is like walking thru a huge Japanese garden. Hikes in the Columbia Gorge are also great.  You might be interested in wind sailing on the Columbia or visiting Maryhill Museum. Great food and wines can be found in the area. I hope you get a chance to visit.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

I know you love the word spectacular, which I also love! I have been lucky to have been at spectacular places such as Grand Cannon, Zion, Yosemite (which holds my heart and always will) and Bryce Cannon and many others! But I digress Chris is coming along nicely, and I am so happy to see it!

Edited by Albert1434
  • Love 2
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

I know you love the word spectacular, which I also love! I have been lucky to have been at spectacular places such as Grand Cannon, Zion, Yosemite (which holds my heart and always will) and Bryce Cannon and many others! But I digress Chris is coming along nicely, and I am so happy to see it!

It's funny you mention that. I do have a tendency to pick a word and don't realize I'm using it as often as I am until @Carlos Hazdaywill point it out during editing. Usually a comment like, maybe you could use a thesaurus for that. :) Since this was written and posted before I started working with him, and the journal format, it got a much lighter going over than the later books. All those places you mentioned are places I'd like to see.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..