Jump to content
    WolfM
  • Author
  • 1,931 Words
  • 6,266 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Journal of Chris Williams - 15. Journal 15

Journal entry 23:

 

I made it to Thanksgiving break at school and now have the week off. I’ve completed the three term projects ahead of schedule for the classes that require them. I’m holding off turning them in until after the break, so I can polish them a little more. I hope to have each one as good as possible since they are a major portion of my grade in those classes, and I want to do well.

What is it with the trees around here that is so different from back east? Just today I picked, up a strong scent that smelled wonderful. I guess it isn’t really that unusual since everything’s new to me. This one today was downright distracting. There was a slight breeze that kept shifting directions so I couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. It was like fresh pine needles covered in morning dew. Granted, it was morning and the frost and ice can have that pleasant scent of dew. I was also working under a pine tree so for the life of me I can’t imagine why I’d be smelling pine. I had finished shoveling snow from the sidewalk and was raking under the large trees outside the pack’s office, but I don’t think that’s what I smelled. It’s supposed to be some special type of conifer, though I have no clue what makes it any more special than the rest of the trees around.

The needles I was raking had been on the ground for a while. They could have been the ones on the tree I suppose. All the pines have such a strong and wonderful scent and each is a little different from the one next to it. I’ve almost gotten lost in the smell of a few trees. There was a squirrel up in the tree that kept dropping needles on me when it wasn’t throwing the cores of pine cones. It didn’t even phase it when I growled and just slung another one while chattering like it was mad. I threw a snowball at it which broke up in the branches long before it reached my tormentor. I swear, if that little bitch of a rodent does that one more day I work around the office, I’m going to shift and make a wolf snack out of it. I’ll accept the punishment for shifting without permission. Come to think of it, it’s probably a bad option since as a lupus I can’t climb a tree. Maybe I can get Aaron’s lunis to chase it down or scare it.

Whatever I smelled, it faded after a few minutes when the breeze shifted. Thankfully, about the same time the squirrel got bored tormenting me and ran off with a mouthful of pine nuts. It was a distraction while I had the scent, but my mind cleared as soon as it vanished. Whatever it was, I wouldn’t mind finding it again. If nothing else to pick some needles from that tree to have in my apartment. I’ve been saying since I got here that the forests smell so different from back in Pennsylvania. There are times it can be annoying to have a wolf’s sense of smell. My wolf was acting up the entire time the wonderful smell was on the breeze. It felt like having Tigger bouncing around inside my head. He probably just wants to get out for a little while. Maybe I need to see if I can go for a run with Kyle and the guys soon.

Some happy news for today as well: Mom and Dad got here this afternoon to spend Thanksgiving break with me. I’m really happy to see them. Alpha Jennings was kind enough to allow them to visit the territory. They’re staying in a pack-owned hotel just a short walk from my apartment. Even with the busy ski season in full swing on the mountain, they keep a few rooms in reserve for visiting families. I’ve been given permission to move around town freely without an escort so I can spend as much time with them as I want while they’re here. I met up with them a few minutes after they arrived. Mom looked a little surprised when I kissed her cheek and gave her a hug. Dad was even more surprised when I accepted his handshake and pulled him into a hug as well. I don’t remember ever embracing him like that, but for some reason it felt like the right thing to do today. After a moment’s hesitation, he even wrapped his arms around me. I guess all the hugs I’ve gotten from Kyle over the last few months have kind of grown on me.

Dad’s proud of the fresh start I’ve made and Mom is just happy I’m doing so well. She couldn’t remember the last time she actually saw me smile. They kept talking about how beautiful it is here and how they loved the drive in from Portland. I can’t argue with them, it is a wondrous place. There’s just enough snow left on the trees from our last storm to add to the beauty without the roads being a pain from ice. We’re only a short drive from so many different sights that you wouldn’t run across back in Pennsylvania and when you look and see Mount Hood standing guard close by it’s difficult to put into words. If you are in the right spot, you can see some of the other nearby volcanoes: Mount Adams and Saint Helens, even Rainier on a clear day.

I took Mom and Dad over to the pack offices so they could pay their respects to the alpha. I know I’m not pack, but I’ve come to see this man as my leader and it was an honor to introduce my parents to him. His mate was in her office when we arrived, so I took the opportunity to introduce them to the Luna as well. I have contact with the alpha, beta, and enforcer on a regular basis as I check-in for different community service assignments and whatnot. It was weird hearing the alpha pair talk about how respectful I’ve been since I arrived and how much the pack likes and values having me here. I know I ask for additional work when I can, but I try to go as unnoticed as possible because that means I’m not in any trouble. The luna pointed out different things I’ve done to help with the charities she patrons. The Alpha mentioned how I’m always asking what more I can do to lend a hand. I think my parents were surprised to hear the glowing review from the leaders. While Mom and I were talking to Luna Jennings, Dad pulled the alpha to the side and quietly asked how I was really doing. The man assured him since I’d been here, I had been a model wolf and as an alpha he was proud of how I’ve taken responsibility for my previous actions and was working so hard to turn my life around. It felt good to hear that and to see Dad look at me with pride.

We drove up the Timberline Lodge on the side of Mount Hood for dinner. It was a little farther than I was supposed to really go without Kyle or Corey, but Alpha Jennings had actually suggested it as his way of giving his approval. It was the first time I’d gone there. The view of the massive 1930’s lodge with the peak of the volcano right behind it is breathtaking. It looked kind of cool with the big snow tunnel leading to the main doors. They apparently have to do that during the winter since the snow built up on both sides can reach the third floor. Inside was just as spectacular. Skiers were coming and going to get in their last run for the evening. We were seated near a huge stone fireplace that roared to keep the large space warm. Like always, Dad and I both ordered the biggest steaks they had.

While we ate, Dad surprised me by telling me they were considering moving out here to be closer to me. I think I’d like that. It would be nice having family close by. I’ve missed my parents a lot since I’ve been away. More than I ever realized I would. Even though I’m getting to know more and more people and I’m making actual friends, it is still somewhat lonely at times.

I know I wasn’t a particularly good son even before all the serious problems started. I wasn’t mean or violent towards them, but I wasn’t respectful, especially the last couple of years. I was so arrogant. I’m not sure how I managed to not get knocked on my ass by my dad for the way I talked back. They told me they can see the change in me and said I even look happy for once. I think they also want to keep an eye on me to know I’m okay and maybe get to know the son I’m turning into. It kind of bothers me they would give up everything back in Pennsylvania to move closer to where I have to live, but it would still be nice.

Mom pointed out since we don’t have any family in Parker Valley it wouldn’t be that big a deal to leave for a new home. Parker Valley had just been a convenient middle ground after they met and became mated as it was about half way between each of the packs where their families are located. Traveling to see one group or the other was always a couple hours drive no matter which side we visited. Dad said it was just as easy to get a flight to see them.

Back at the hotel, just before I was going to walk home, I told them both how sorry I was for everything I had done over the years and what I’d put them through. They were both going to stop me, but I said I needed to say it. I let them know I regretted how I had treated them. I know I wasn’t a very good son and I hope the person I am today can make up for it. Mom told me how sorry she was for pushing me to keep my friendship with Michael. As I started causing trouble and getting into fights, she honestly thought if I stayed around him it would straighten me out since he seemed to be such a polite and respectful boy. She admitted she had turned a blind eye to things she had caught him doing once or twice and figured his parents handled it after she called them. They both added that if they had listened to me, had believed what I told them early on, they would have kept me away from him. I was surprised when Dad said we would have even moved to another pack to protect me from Michael if needed. They felt they had let me down as parents by not listening. Dad admitted he and Mom both got used to the benefits of me being close friends with the alpha’s son, but that no perks were worth selling my soul like they’d done. I hugged them while saying how good it is to see them and hold them again.

It felt good to catch up with them. Mom’s right though, I really do feel happy for a change.

Copyright © 2017 WolfM; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 88
  • Love 33
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Alpha Jennings is pretty perceptive to allow Chris's parents to visit. I think it was another step forward in Chris's recovery. It might be to everyone's benefit if Chris's parents decide to move to Oregon. It would be a fresh start for the whole family. I grew up in Washington State and live about an hour from Mount Hood. I have only visited the east coast a few brief times, but the forests here are different. I especially enjoyed reading that part. More thanks for this really good story! 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Another step in his recovery, him finally getting to see his parents. Especially his Mum admitting she was wrong not to listen to him. Can't wait for the rest of Chris's Journal.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
7 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

I was thinking that Chris was going to end up finding a mate with one of those that was guarding him; but the scent he picked up obviously was not one of them; or he would have been effected by it before. 

RIGHT?! I was like, "plot twist!!" LOL  I figured he would slowly fall for Kyle. Then I thought, wouldn't it be a trip if Alpha Jennings turned out to have a son and that's who Chris smelled and he wound up with a future alpha after all? 

 

Chris' parents redeemed themselves somewhat. I hope they attend therapy sessions with him and/or get to read his journal, to understand the full level of Michael's abuse. They need to know what they helped enable. They'll be an important part of his recovery.

Edited by Geemeedee
  • Like 4
Link to comment

Thank you for bringing Chris' parents out for a visit. :thumbup: His mom redeemed herself by apologizing for pushing him to be friends with the bad seed. So glad she admitted to turning a blind eye to Michael's antics. I think it would be an excellent idea for them to move and join the new pack. Then they can go to family therapy with Chris to gain insight and build a strong family unit. 

Now about that smell..... we all know what that smell meant but what I want to know is.....is it the squirrel? :o I mean, are there squirrel shifter's? :rolleyes:  You did say that the scent went away when the squirrel left but that would be a carnivore being mated to it's dinner. :funny: All kinds of wrong. LOL. I had thought he would be mated to Kyle but now..... WHO IS IT???  Inquiring and demanding minds (me) want to know now. And are you saying that the pine trees in the Pacific Northwest smell better than the ones here in the South? :pissed: hehehe

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Glad to see the whole family talking about things and acknowledging mistakes they made.  I think moving to the new pack would be good for them all.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 6/5/2017 at 5:51 PM, JayT said:

For the past few chapters I've slowly been building a hatred towards Chris' mom....she redeemed herself this time around 

Thanks JayT.  That lets me know things came across how I wanted them to.  :)

On 6/5/2017 at 5:59 PM, mikedup said:

I am really glad that Chris has had the opportunity to visit with his parents and to share the things that resulted in him being exiled. It was no doubt very needed in his recovery. Progress  indeed I can't wait for more. Thank you.

Thank you Mike :)

23 hours ago, mogwhy said:

so looking forward to the rest of this story.

:)

22 hours ago, theoneadd2 said:

I read what you did there that's no tree 💘

No idea what you're talking about ;)

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
22 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

Alpha Jennings is pretty perceptive to allow Chris's parents to visit. I think it was another step forward in Chris's recovery. It might be to everyone's benefit if Chris's parents decide to move to Oregon. It would be a fresh start for the whole family. I grew up in Washington State and live about an hour from Mount Hood. I have only visited the east coast a few brief times, but the forests here are different. I especially enjoyed reading that part. More thanks for this really good story! 

Thank you Jeffery.  The visit should be good for everyone.

21 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Another step in his recovery, him finally getting to see his parents. Especially his Mum admitting she was wrong not to listen to him. Can't wait for the rest of Chris's Journal.

Thank you Chris :)

21 hours ago, Lux Apollo said:

I was wondering if we would see an interaction with his parents. This was a very nice progression for the family. And... a mystery smell? Mystery indeed, ha ha ha. Can't wait.

Thank you Lux :)  If you promise not to tell anyone, I'll let you in on the mystery... I spilled a bottle of pine cleaner while I was writing.

21 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

Well, glad that his parents came out to visit and that they are thinking of moving out to where he is; I think it would be a good fresh start for them all.  I was thinking that Chris was going to end up finding a mate with one of those that was guarding him; but the scent he picked up obviously was not one of them; or he would have been effected by it before.  I can't wait to see who it ends up being...

Thank you Centex.  Maybe one of the guys he's been around bathed in something pine scented?  ;)  Beyond that I'm saying nothing. lol

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
14 hours ago, Geemeedee said:

RIGHT?! I was like, "plot twist!!" LOL  I figured he would slowly fall for Kyle. Then I thought, wouldn't it be a trip if Alpha Jennings turned out to have a son and that's who Chris smelled and he wound up with a future alpha after all? 

 

Chris' parents redeemed themselves somewhat. I hope they attend therapy sessions with him and/or get to read his journal, to understand the full level of Michael's abuse. They need to know what they helped enable. They'll be an important part of his recovery.

Thank you Gee :)  I like your plot idea. 

10 hours ago, LadyDe said:

Thank you for bringing Chris' parents out for a visit. :thumbup: His mom redeemed herself by apologizing for pushing him to be friends with the bad seed. So glad she admitted to turning a blind eye to Michael's antics. I think it would be an excellent idea for them to move and join the new pack. Then they can go to family therapy with Chris to gain insight and build a strong family unit. 

Now about that smell..... we all know what that smell meant but what I want to know is.....is it the squirrel? :o I mean, are there squirrel shifter's? :rolleyes:  You did say that the scent went away when the squirrel left but that would be a carnivore being mated to it's dinner. :funny: All kinds of wrong. LOL. I had thought he would be mated to Kyle but now..... WHO IS IT???  Inquiring and demanding minds (me) want to know now. And are you saying that the pine trees in the Pacific Northwest smell better than the ones here in the South? :pissed: hehehe

Thank you LadyDe :)  Finally, someone brought up my little squirrel that likes to throw pine cones at Chris ;)  No to squirrel shifters, but that thought had me laughing.  Since I'm not familiar with trees in the South I can't speak to that.  I'm only saying that trees in the Northeast are different from the Northwest, honest :)

1 hour ago, avidreadr said:

Glad to see the whole family talking about things and acknowledging mistakes they made.  I think moving to the new pack would be good for them all.  

Thank you Avid :)

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Pine in the morning dew huh? Wonder how he's gonna deal with having a male mate after all the twisted sex/rapes with Micheal et al. Im thinking that that may induce a bit of panic at first... and if it's near the office it is logical that it'd be someone close to the alpha. Omg! If it really did turn out to be the alphas son, that's a whole other can of worms that'll have him running away in terror... amazing story as always! :worship:

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Loved the family reunion and getting clear up feeling they each had about everything that had gone on

  • Like 3
Link to comment
16 hours ago, bearbtm said:

Loved the family reunion and getting clear up feeling they each had about everything that had gone on

Thank you, Bear. I almost left his family out of the story, beyond phone calls or emails. I'm glad I had them come for a visit.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I was truly impressed with the wonderful description of forest and its smells. Forests in the Pacific Northwest are amazing in their diversity.  The geography of this area create micro-climates that mean the same forest like Mt. Hood National Forest is a series of many types of forests ecosystems with different types of trees and plants dominating a particular area depending on elevation and weather patterns.  However, 

Quote

My wolf was acting up the entire time the wonderful smell was on the breeze. It felt like having Tigger bouncing around inside my head.

Wouldn't be the typical reaction to just any scent.  @WolfM and none of your readers believe this

Quote

No idea what you're talking about ;)

Timberline Lodge is just as wonderful as you described.  I loved ski the slopes there.

I do think that the parents visit will help Chris, especially since mom has apologised for her involvement in pushing Chris at Michael.  A family move to the Columbia River Pack would be good for all of them.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
13 hours ago, raven1 said:

I was truly impressed with the wonderful description of forest and its smells. Forests in the Pacific Northwest are amazing in their diversity.  The geography of this area create micro-climates that mean the same forest like Mt. Hood National Forest is a series of many types of forests ecosystems with different types of trees and plants dominating a particular area depending on elevation and weather patterns.  However, 

Wouldn't be the typical reaction to just any scent.  @WolfM and none of your readers believe this

Timberline Lodge is just as wonderful as you described.  I loved ski the slopes there.

I do think that the parents visit will help Chris, especially since mom has apologised for her involvement in pushing Chris at Michael.  A family move to the Columbia River Pack would be good for all of them.

Thank you, Raven. :) I've mentioned before, it's an area I very much want to visit. Looking at pictures only goes so far, but I'm happy I was able to describe it well enough for someone from there.  Dinner at the Timberline Lodge is also on the travel list for me.

Fortunately my readers know me well enough. I can still surprise them from time to time, but in the lycan world some scents just can't be hidden. ;)

The visit gives the family as a whole a chance to start healing.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

I am so glad that Chris got to have Thanksgiving with his parents. I find it wonderful, about all the changes Chris has gone through, so changed from the start of this story he is a new person. The fates has helped Chris with his redemption and that is just wonderful!:thankyou:

Edited by Albert1434
  • Love 1
Link to comment
17 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

I am so glad that Chris got to have Thanksgiving with his parents. I find it wonderful, about all the changes Chris has gone through, so changed from the start of this story he is a new person. The fates has helped Chris with his redemption and that is just wonderful!:thankyou:

Thank you, Albert. :) 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..