Jump to content
    WolfM
  • Author
  • 2,331 Words
  • 6,156 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Journal of Chris Williams - 10. Journal 10

Journal entry 13:

 

Last night was Halloween. I got a reprieve from home confinement and was allowed to get out for the evening. Alpha Jennings invited me to the pack’s Halloween party. Being an invitation from the alpha is not something I would or could decline. He informed me with a stern look that I was at the party to work. A grin spread across his face as he added one of the work requirements was to have a good time. His Enforcer was standing beside him as we spoke. I thought Mr. Tucker was a big guy, but Mr. Hanson is huge and even more intimidating.

The younger pups dressed up as everything from witches and wizards to ghosts and goblins. Seeing a young lycan in a werewolf outfit is always cute. I remember the one I wore when I was little. I worked on my growl and howl for weeks before that holiday. There were twin lunis pups that from what I was told had their first shift about the time I arrived here. They decided to come in their wolf. The pair were a little over five feet tall to the top of their ears. I had to laugh as I watched them stalking around the party, sneaking up behind some of the other pups dressed as werewolves. I had forgotten how fun it was to watch them when their paws are too big, and they haven’t grown to their full size yet. The party was held in a barn owned by one of the members. It wasn’t as big an event as Parker Valley always puts on with the surrounding communities, but it was a good turnout and a lot of fun. Columbia River is so much more spread out, so I guess they can’t all get together as easily as what I grew up with.

I kept mostly to myself at the start of it and watched all the different families interact as a group. After a while, people began to come up to me to talk. They knew who I was and why I was here, but that didn’t seem to make any difference to them. A lot simply came up and said hi while others gave me a belated welcome to the territory. This was my first real public outing since I got here and I had a good time. I helped hand out candy to the pups for a while and watched as some bobbed for apples or played other games. I managed to forget about my own problems for a while and got to know my host pack better.

Kyle’s brother, Aaron, was there with his family. His ten-year-old son was dressed as a vampire, and their six year old daughter was an elven warrior princess. Aaron and his wife were dressed up as well, choosing Gomez and Morticia Addams. She looked hot as Morticia, and he was the perfect Gomez showering his love and affection. It was fun seeing so many of the parents in costume along with their pups. With all the stuff that had been going on in my life, I had forgotten what was really important in the pack. Families enjoying themselves, and the community coming together as one.

It was fun hanging around with Aaron and his mate when I wasn’t helping out somewhere or talking with Kyle or Corey. Kyle’s a big ol’ goof and loves to have fun. He was constantly joking around and making sure I had a good time. He also pushed Corey to be more lively. As Corey and I talked, he told me how he’d gotten in trouble several times all through his teens for bullying others. After he got his act together, he had specifically volunteered to be my escort to make up for the people whose lives he made miserable over the years. Turns out Corey’s so quiet because he had a hard time making friends after everything he had done. He’s worked hard to get past it and said seeing me work so hard to change what I had done… Well, he wanted to be there for me. He suggested we work to keep each other in check and make sure we didn’t return to our old ways. That as friends it was our duty to point out if we were acting like a butt head. That got us both laughing.

If I would have had friends like Kyle and Corey years ago, things would have been a lot different with me I think. Those two are showing me what being a friend really means. Makes me wonder what life would have been like if I’d chosen to be friends with Aiden and his crew instead. Or Connor, Kevin, and Tyler without the Michael factor.

 

 

Journal Entry 14:

 

I never expected to have such a good time at the Halloween party. I’m not sure if it was being out and talking to people more than I had or just the party atmosphere. It could have been the time I spent getting to know Corey better and hanging out with Kyle and Aaron. No matter what it was, I had a great night and felt like I belonged (Correction – I feel like I belong here). Halloween was two days ago, and my mood hasn’t died down. I think even some of my professors noticed it since I was more active in class, and people commented on how nice it was to see me smile.

For every high point though, it seems there is a low that comes along. As good as my mood’s been over the last few days, it came crashing down about two hours ago. Now I’m numb and don’t know what to feel. I just got home from getting called into Alpha Jennings office. I wasn’t in trouble or anything, but he had something serious he needed to tell me. He’d gotten word that Parker Valley and two of its neighbors were attacked last night by a large force. There weren’t many details, but the initial reports said there were several people dead, and an unknown number believed to have been kidnapped.

There was no word if my parents were safe, and he was trying to find out for me. I had grabbed my phone while I was with the alpha and tried to call. My hands shook so bad I could barely hit my contacts list. I couldn’t get through. Both Mom and Dad’s phones went straight to voicemail. Alpha felt it was important to tell me before rumors reached me. Especially since my family was there. Most everyone I knew is there. Rogue attacks against someplace as strong as Parker Valley are rare. Usually they go after a smaller and less defended pack.

My therapist was there when he told me and we immediately went into one of our sessions to talk when I finished with Alpha Jennings. I guess they didn’t know how I would react to the news. I’m not really sure how I should react beyond feeling numb and worrying about who was taken and who was dead.

I kept thinking I knew who was responsible. There had been no word on him since I arrived here, and he was seriously pissed when I left him. If he really was behind it, that was a new low even for him. I shouldn’t be surprised though given what he… what we had plotted. His mind is warped and he’s only out for himself. I feel lucky I finally opened my eyes to what he was. To what I had become as his lackey. I still don’t understand how I was able to stay his friend for so long and take part in the things I did. And I took pleasure in causing that suffering in others.

Kyle and Corey took me home after my session but didn’t return to their apartments. Instead, they grabbed pillows, ordered pizza, and said they would be staying with me in case I needed to talk. I tried to brush it off saying I was okay, but it was Corey who stood in front of me with his arms crossed. “You’re not going to be alone tonight. You just got some seriously bad news, and you don’t even know if your parents are safe yet.” Kyle looked me square in the eyes. “Friends don’t leave their friends alone at times like this.” I’m learning a lot from them and I’m glad they’re here.

 

 

Journal entry 15:

 

I finally got through to Mom today. It was a rough twenty-four hours waiting to get word if they were safe. Mom said she and Dad were fine and helping out anywhere they were needed. The pack was picking up the pieces and mourning those who were lost. She let me know ten people were confirmed dead and at least twenty were missing. As she gave some of the names of a few of their friends on the lists. There was going to be a memorial service in the next couple days for those who were killed. Alpha Stockdale had an emergency pack meeting and let people know everything possible was being done to find the ones behind the attack and bring home those who were taken. She told me how he rallied the pack when they needed it most. The way I used to think of him, I wish I could have seen it with my new perspective on things. Mom had never been more proud to have him as her alpha.

Mom hesitated and said she felt she needed to tell me something. Her words still send a shiver down my spine. “Aiden was out on patrol with the Sheriff’s Department when the attack happened.” I felt my breath catch at her specifically mentioning him regarding the attack. “The leaders believe he’s one of the people kidnapped.” She went on about how several other deputies had been killed in the raid, but unlike them no body was recovered for Aiden or his partner. They all hope the pair’s alive. Word around the pack was Ethan was inconsolable. With everything I did to him in an attempt to hurt Aiden, I can’t imagine what he’s going through right now. I should have been stronger to stand up to Michael years ago and put a stop to what he was doing. I should have told him to fuck off like Tyler did. There are a lot of things I should have done, and it’s easy to see or say in hindsight. At the time I was blind to what I was doing. I hope they find Aiden and the others. Even though I met with Doc yesterday, I just called to go in since I really need to talk to her after finding out about Aiden.

 

 

Journal entry 16:

 

It doesn’t feel that long since I originally got here, and I guess just over three months isn’t a lot of time. Some days it feels like I’ve been here for a lifetime. I had my regular session today with Doc and even though she kind of wants me to write things for future sessions, today’s still heavily on my mind. We talked about my relationship with Michael again. There were things I just couldn’t bring myself to talk about. We do this every so often in hopes I will finally let it out, but I can’t. She knows I’m holding back and isn’t pushing after my breakdown. I’ve briefly touched on some of my demons with her. I hint at what I’m afraid of, and what’s still in the dark, staring back at me like eyes peering through the night watching its prey. I just can’t get it out yet. I’m afraid of Michael still, especially after my old pack was attacked, and people were killed. It isn’t rational to think he would come after me for abandoning him. I mean I’m across the country from Parker Valley, but Michael isn’t rational and neither is my fear of him, so here we are.

Why am I still afraid of the guy I finally stood up to? I mean, the last time I saw him was from the rearview mirror in my car. He was sitting on his ass with a bloody nose in a cloud of dust as I peeled out. I had punched my bully and former best friend. I need to stop using the term best friend since I know he was never a friend. I had fought back the way I wish those I bullied would have fought back against me. I refused to let him use me anymore and took charge of my life. I took responsibility for my life. Well, as much as I could considering I had set rules to follow to get to Oregon. Even with what I did, I’m now afraid of him again. I know in my heart he’s behind the attack that killed ten of my former pack mates even if there’s no proof yet. There’s a part of me that’s afraid of him because he knows where I am. And I’m his former best friend who abandoned him. He took everything else personally, so would he travel across the country to take his revenge? If he was involved in the attack on Parker Valley and the others, he’s capable of anything.

I don’t miss the cocky, obnoxious guy I used to be, but I do miss the confidence I used to think I had. Maybe in time I’ll rebuild my self-confidence and self-worth. Some days are still better than others. I’m just feeling a little down today.

Correction to last comment: I do have self-worth, maybe a little shaky at times, but it’s there and my self-confidence is also rebuilding thanks to my friends here and the rest of the pack that see’s someone worth having around.

Copyright © 2017 WolfM; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 93
  • Love 26
  • Sad 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I don't blame Chris for his fears and I think he should tell someone at the new pack what he's worried about.  Otherwise, he is coming along nicely.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Thanks for including the Parker Valley Pack attack. It helps to understand where Chris is at, time-wise, in relation to his old pack. I find it interesting that Chris's new pack seems to be so accepting. No one has confronted him about what a bad guy he was. I really enjoy seeing Chris's introspection through his journal entries. Thanks. Jeff

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Yes, Chris was very lucky to have someone like Corey watching over / out for him.  He could really empathise, to a very large extent, Chris's journey forward ...

 

Very useful having a time correlation with Running with the Pack in this chapter, trouble for me is, I'd have to go back to check out the details in that wonderful story ... :rolleyes:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
21 hours ago, Defiance19 said:

I'd be afraid of Michael too.. Chris knows first hand what he's capable of, so I'd say that fear is rational.. I'm happy to see that slowly, some form of normalcy is creeping into his life. Thank goodness for his therapy. So far I have every reason to think he will be better for it.. 

Chris knows better than anyone what Michael is capable of. 

21 hours ago, avidreadr said:

I don't blame Chris for his fears and I think he should tell someone at the new pack what he's worried about.  Otherwise, he is coming along nicely.

At the very least, he told his therapist about his fears and his suspicions.  They could have been passed on with his permission.

21 hours ago, LadyDe said:

I found this story 2 days ago and saved it to read when I could concentrate.  I just read all the chapters in the past 90 minutes. Was on chapter 7 when I saw you post this one.  Running with the Pack was (still is) one of my all time favorite stories and I had wondered when or if there would ever be a part 2. It took me a minute of hard thinking to remember who Chris was but when I did.... whoa. Of all the people, I hadn't thought to ever find out what happened to him after he left Michael. Thank you so much for telling his story. And a journal....what a novel approach. But it really fits and the insight into his growth is inspiring. He is really growing and learning. It's hard to read about what he was thinking when it came to Ethan and Aiden and to find out how truly messed up he was, raping his 'friends' :(well, that was so heartbreaking. Michael was truly a psychopath with a lot of sociopath thrown in for good measure.  :thumbdown:  

I was wondering about the time line when I was reading the other chapters and this chapter provided it. Seeing this from his point of view, I can understand his fear that Michael is coming after him. But we know where Michael is at this point...he doesn't even remember Chris. Kyle and Corey are truly good guys and are showing Chris what real friendship is. :thumbup:  How is he going to react when he hears about all the other things that are going to happen back home? Especially, when he finds out how Michael ends up. 

 

Thank you so much for getting over that pesky writer's block. It was keeping me from enjoying your wonderful imagination and continuing this saga. :thankyou: :wub:

Welcome Back LadyDe :) Thank you for the compliments.  I had never planned to write about Chris.  I was trying to work on something with Ethan and Aiden, but they're stubbornly still enjoying their honeymoon and refusing to talk.  Others that I had been trying to work on were also silent.  Going to bed one night, Chris popped into my mind practically waving his arms around "Hey, write about me.  I'll talk all you want," and so he got his own.  This gave me a chance to better explain how things got to the point of the attack on Ethan.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
21 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

Thanks for including the Parker Valley Pack attack. It helps to understand where Chris is at, time-wise, in relation to his old pack. I find it interesting that Chris's new pack seems to be so accepting. No one has confronted him about what a bad guy he was. I really enjoy seeing Chris's introspection through his journal entries. Thanks. Jeff

:)  I had to find a point where events could have a good cross over between the two stories.  

19 hours ago, Geemeedee said:

I've been thinking the same thing. I finally came to the conclusion that they've been watching him, and see that he is trying to change. He hasn't attempted to avoid his community service, and has actually asked for more. He's quiet, respectful and doesn't push himself on others. Also, I think the opinion of his "guards" goes a long way. 

When the Parker Valley Alpha made arrangements for Chris as well as Michael to relocate, he worked out with Alpha Jennings that the hope was someplace he could start fresh, go to school and get back on the right track.  I'm sure there would be some pack members not thrilled to have someone like Chris around, but I'd guess that when he arrived or even before, he informed his pack that they were taking in two troubled wolves (or one in this case).  He's been on house arrest when not at school or doing community service and his escorts keep a very watchful eye on him.  That would keep most from confronting him and harming the progress he makes in therapy.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
21 hours ago, Acid07 said:

Part of what I was looking forward to with reading this story was how things that happened back in Parker Valley would impact him across the country.  It's understandable that he feels worry for those there, as well as for himself.  He was wise to associate this to Michael so quickly.  I don't recall anyone jumping to that conclusion back home.

 

It's nice to see him actually developing some friendships.  His guards may be doing a job, but the more they get along, the easier it is for everyone there.  This may be a "job", but they're doing a lot of things to help him as well (letting him run/hunt, socialize, and just being there for him like friends should).  Hopefully that allows him to continue growing up from the brat he once was.

 

Looking forward to the next!

:)  Chris is also getting to where his feelings for the people back in Parker Valley is changing from how he knew them as the hostile teen he was to the thinking of them as the person he's becoming.  With how close he was to Michael, to him it is the natural conclusion to come to regarding the attack even if he has no evidence to support it.  The escorts may have started this as a job that has turned more into being mentors as well as friends

19 hours ago, JayT said:

I think it's obvious to anyone who watches Chris closely, he isn't the person from the bridge. That person died the day the verdict condemning him and Michael to banishment was read. Watching him right now is like watching a newborn colt. Only minutes old, shaking like a leaf in a hurricane, trying to stand to take that crucial life or death first step. I can't help but wonder what his reaction is going to be when Michael finally dies. 

I like the way you put it since the person who was sentenced does not exist anymore.

17 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Chris seems to be learning about friendship and growing up at the same time. 

He finally see's what friendship really is.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

Halloween seemed to be a blast; but that was followed by a body blow about the attack on his old pack.  Finding out his parents were okay had to feel good but with all of his realization about how Aiden was truly the better man than Michael, finding out that he was taken and how Ethan is not coping well; you know that has to hurt his soul. 

 

Glad we got a little more backstory on Corey; it explained a few things.  Chris is lucky to have Kyle and Corey in his corner; I think what they have told others and the fact that they seem to care about him has smoothed his acceptance into his new pack somewhat. 

 

Therapy is never a straight climb back up; it is a winding path with drops and peaks and twist and turns.  You just have to keep moving forward and don't spend to much time looking back...

All I can do is happily nod my head at all your observations :)

3 hours ago, hohochan657 said:

Yes, Chris was very lucky to have someone like Corey watching over / out for him.  He could really empathise, to a very large extent, Chris's journey forward ...

 

Very useful having a time correlation with Running with the Pack in this chapter, trouble for me is, I'd have to go back to check out the details in that wonderful story ... :rolleyes:

Corey wants to make up for the things he did in his past and help change someone else that was a bully.  He may not know just how bad Chris was in his old life, though he's determined to make a difference.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

This chapter is more full of the "feels" that I have looked forward to in past writings of yours.  The way Kyle and Corey are looking out for Chris in entry 14 are the beginning of the healing he needs so much of.  It's one thing to be shown friendship, another to accept it.  Chris seems to be slowly getting used to that and I look forward to seeing much more of that in coming chapters.  Thank you.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Quixo said:

This chapter is more full of the "feels" that I have looked forward to in past writings of yours.  The way Kyle and Corey are looking out for Chris in entry 14 are the beginning of the healing he needs so much of.  It's one thing to be shown friendship, another to accept it.  Chris seems to be slowly getting used to that and I look forward to seeing much more of that in coming chapters.  Thank you.

 

Thank you, Quixo :)  You're comments always bring a smile to my face.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I love how you have added so many layers of feeling Chris is going through and the rollercoaster of emotions he is feeling

  • Like 3
Link to comment
21 hours ago, bearbtm said:

I love how you have added so many layers of feeling Chris is going through and the rollercoaster of emotions he is feeling

Thank you, Bear. For starting as a barely referenced character in the first book, Chris was fun to develop.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I too sense Michael is behind the attack.  Corey and Kyle being there for him is an important milestone in Chris's developing understanding of true friendship.  It is interesting that Corey admits to being a bully as a teen, and is working with Chris to make amends for his past behaviour.  These two seem to have a lot in common.  I suspect I know some of the secrets that Chris does not want to share yet.  He may be able to share them with friends he trust before he shares them with his therapist. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

In the life Chris had around Michael, if something devastating would have happened to someone, they'd have been pointing, laughing, and pouring salt in the wound. With his new life and prospective on things, plus not knowing about his families safety he has to experience these new feelings. Having two people who comfort him and refuse to leave him alone is new, but so very welcoming to him.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

It's funny when Chris is talking about his fears I can help but think about Dune and that line that fear is the little mind killer! But Chris fear is real I hope for one that he will get over it soon:yes:

  • Love 1
Link to comment
22 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

It's funny when Chris is talking about his fears I can help but think about Dune and that line that fear is the little mind killer! But Chris fear is real I hope for one that he will get over it soon:yes:

My question now is if you caught Aiden saying those lines from Dune in this first sit-down with Jean-Pierre? :) Chris as many reasons for his fear, but likely as many people to help him get past them.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..