Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,587 Words
  • 1,072 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sexual content

Catering With Benefits (3) - An Appetite for More - 10. Did You Bring Your Own Bags?

When Jonathan told Virginia he was going to a Labor Party conference, she rolled her eyes and said “If you die of boredom, I’ll remember you fondly.”

“Nia, I have to show my genuine interest in the party’s policies and rub shoulders with those who can put me up for pre-selection, to be able to stand for a seat in the next election.”

“I’m sure you understand what you’re talking about and as fascinating as it may be to some, it’s not to me. So enjoy your conference and shoulder rubbing.”

“That’s unkind Nia. I want to make a difference to this world and leave it in better shape than when I came into it.”

“Well good luck with that, I think it’s beyond saving.”

“I thought you’d be more supportive than this, Nia.”

“Jon, you’ve only just got your membership card and you already sound like a seasoned politician with all this make a difference crap.”

“I’m hurt Nia.”

“Not as hurt as you’re going to be after playing with those boys.”

“Anyway, I’m going to be away for most of a week. What are you going to do, spend time with your young stud?”

“Maybe, maybe not.”

“Oh you’ve become a woman of mystery.”

“Jonathan Price, my life has been a mystery to you for over thirty years, so why the sudden interest in what I do?”

“Can’t a man show some interest in his wife?”

“What’s brought this on so suddenly? No wait, it’s this politics thing, isn’t it? You need a wife for your image.”

“We did discuss this just after Christmas and you said you would be there when needed.”

“I did and I meant it. When you need a woman on your arm to attend a dinner or open a flower show, I’ll be there. But don’t expect me to sit at home waiting for those moments.”

“I’ve never expected you to do that.”

“Good then nothing’s changed, so I might go away for that week also.”

“May I know where?”

“When I decide, then maybe.”

***

Virginia had already decided where she wanted to go for the week, but liked to keep Jonathan guessing. When Jonathan went to his study to make some phone calls, she ordered coffee to be taken to the wisteria garden and wandered over to the garage while it was being prepared.

“Are you here Desmond?”

“Yes” she heard from behind a pile of boxes. “Give me a sec to clean up.”

As Desmond appeared she asked “What were you behind doing there?”

“Just trying to repair a piece of old exercise equipment from the gym.”

“Oh, that gym, it seems to occupy everybody’s time lately.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Never mind, I came to ask you to have coffee with me.”

“Should I put the kettle on?”

“No, I have real coffee served in the garden.”

<>

“So where do you want to go on this road trip?” asked Desmond

“Ultimately Melbourne for some shopping.”

“Then why not fly?”

“I was thinking it might be nice to take our time and make a few stops along the way.”

“And you want me to drive you?”

“Well I can’t drive.”

“So will it be Mr Jared or Mr Price accompanying you?”

“Neither, just us. Can you tear yourself away from your busy life here?”

“Virginia, are you asking me away for the weekend?”

“No...a whole week.”

“When would this be?”

“How about Monday?”

“Good, I’ll prepare the car for then.”

“And I’ll get Thomas to make some hotel bookings. Should I ask him to book one room or two?”

<>

“No problem Mrs P. Consider it done. Should I tell Jared?”

“Yes, tell him he can have the week off.”

“Oh...yes...of course. So did I understand you correctly, you want only one king room each night.”

“Yes Thomas and no need to sound so coy, you’re a man of the world as well as the eyes and ears of this house.”

“As you wish Mrs P.”

<>

Thomas immediately called Jared. “I’ve got good news, you have a week off commencing on Monday.”

“How come?”

“Mrs P’s going away, would you believe, on a road trip.”

“That’s not a week off, I’ll still be working. Does she want me to drive as well?”

“No, Desmond will be driving and also sharing her bed.”

“What!”

“Yes, I was as surprised as you.”

“So how come you know she’s sleeping with Desmond, he might be just driving her?”

“Unless she intends for him to sleep in the car or camp, then they are sharing one king bed each night.”

“Fuck me.”

“My thoughts exactly, we’ll have a whole week to do it.”

***

Virginia and Desmond set off early on Monday morning, via the coastal route, with a lunch stop at Ulladulla. They dined at Cupitt’s Kitchen, chosen by Desmond because it had a high rating. Virginia was impressed with her salmon, and her only disappointment was, they did not stock her favourite champagne so she settled for a domestic variety.

“You know, that’s not bad Desmond. Maybe I should support the local vignerons. It’s good to get out of my bubble and see the rest of the world.”

“Yes Virginia, there’s a lot of it out there.”

“Are you speaking geographically or in some other way?”

“I’m agreeing with you that life in a bubble can be stifling, it’s good that you have chosen to travel by road, albeit it in a BMW, but you’ll see a lot more than you would from a business class cabin.”

“Desmond, are you saying that I’m a snob?”

“You are in danger of being classified as such.”

“Then you must tell me when I act that way.”

“Thank you for your permission, but I would do so anyway.”

“Desmond, it’s no wonder we have remained friends for so long. You have a way of keeping me grounded. I like that.”

They hit the road again and arrived in Mallacoota, mid afternoon and checked into their beach front apartment.

“Desmond, there’s a kitchen in here. Whatever was Thomas thinking of when he booked this?”

“What’s wrong with a kitchen?”

“Well, I hope you don’t expect me to cook for you.”

“Virginia, I know the only time you’ve seen a kitchen in the past twenty years was the time when the internal phones were out of service and you had to go down to see cook to order your breakfast.”

“How do you know that?”

“I was there trying to sort out the phone problem. Don’t you remember?”

“I’m sure that can’t be the only time I went to the kitchen.”

“Regardless, I know you don’t cook. But there’s also a barbecue out on the balcony why don’t I cook our dinner out there.”

“What are you going to cook.”

“Here’s a radical idea Virginia. We’ll go down to the supermarket and buy some food. Or, I hear there’s a fisherman’s co-op nearby, we could get seafood right off the boat.”

“Would you think it snobby of me if I didn’t want to do that?”

“Yes, of course.”

“Good then we’ll do it.”

<>

“So you mean I not only have to wander around the store and choose my own purchases but they want me to pay for the push cart?”

“It’s called a shopping trolley and you get the dollar back when you return the trolley.”

“Ok, life’s never dull with you Desmond, always a new adventure.”

“So what do you fancy with fresh seafood, salad or hot vegetables?”

“Salad sounds good, no cooking.”

“And maybe some pasta to bed the seafood?”

“Desmond, you make it sound so naughty?”

<>

“That pasta looks a bit old, it’s all dried and hard.”

“That’s how pasta comes in a packet. You boil it to soften it.” Desmond replied.

“Really, I live and learn.”

“And it seems you have a lot to learn about the real world.”

“I couldn’t think of anybody better to teach me.”

“Now I need a creamy sauce for this pasta.... Ah here it is.”

“Alfredo or Carbonara?”

“You choose, it’s all Greek to me.”

“Italian actually.”

“I know that, it’s just a saying my dad used to use when he didn’t understand something.”

“Now I’m learning also.”

“I think I’m going to enjoy this learning together.”

“I think we’re set now, salad makings, pasta, sauce and we need some fresh crusty bread and then off to the wharf for the catch of the day.”

They approached the checkout and Virginia was surprised when Desmond prompted her to load the conveyor belt. She walked towards the cashier and smiled at her, while Desmond completed unloading the trolley. “Do you have your own bags madam?”

“I’m sorry?”

“Did you bring your own bags?”

“Desmond she wants to know if we have our own bags.”

“No miss, we’ll purchase some.”

“Very good.”

While the groceries were being scanned Virginia asked “What was that about bags?”

“To reduce the amount of single use plastic bags in garbage, customers are encouraged to bring their own reusable bags.”

“This grocery shopping business is complicated isn’t it?”

“You’ll get used to it.”

“Do I have to? This is just a one-off isn’t it?”

“If you say so.”

<>

“Oh Desmond I don’t think I want to go in there, it smells awful.”

“It’s a fish co-op, of course it smells. Think of it as the smell of the ocean.”

“If you insist.”

“You won’t notice it in a few minutes when you start feasting your eyes on the bounty of the sea.”

“A poet as well, you are full of surprises.”

“Now what do you fancy?”

“Lobster.”

“Well as we’re going to barbecue, perhaps lobster tails, prawns and a few whiting fillets for balance.”

<>

Back at the apartment, Desmond unloaded the shopping and Virginia went to the bathroom to freshen up. “I need to wash off that fishy smell.”

“I’ll fire up the barbie and when you’re ready can you open your champagne.”

“How Desmond?”

“You mean with all the champers you’ve drunk over the years, you’ve never opened a bottle?”

“Why would I need to?”

“Never mind, I’ll do it....No, on second thoughts, I’ll show you how.”

“Isn’t it dangerous? I once saw Pippa try it and she shot three crystals out of her chandelier.”

“Can be if you don’t aim the bottle away from yourself, or anybody else for that matter. The secret is to be in control of the cork, not let it become a missile.”

“I think I’ll pass on that.”

As Desmond rifled through the drawer of kitchen gadgets he said “There doesn’t seem to be a cork remover or a sealer, so we’ll have to do it the manual way. Now watch as I hold the bottle in one hand and place this towel over the cork and turn slowly. That way I’m in control of the cork.”

“Not as much fun as popping the cork.”

“And not as dangerous either.”

As he removed the cork with a familiar pop sound he asked “Do you think you could do that next time?”

“No Desmond, I think that’s a man’s job.”

“Fair enough. Now you pour and I’ll get the barbecue fired up.”

“Are you really going to light a fire on the balcony?”

“No Virginia, it’s bottled gas.”

Desmond boiled water for the pasta and attended to the barbecue lighting while the pasta cooked.

While the barbecue heated, they sat and sipped their wine while enjoying the view.

“This really is a beautiful spot Desmond. Despite all this manual labour I’m enjoying it here.”

“Yes, you must tell Thomas he made a good choice. He’s quite a treasure really.”

“I know, but don’t know what I’d do without him.”

“Then treat him well and he’ll stay with you.”

“Are you suggesting I don’t treat him well?”

“No, not at all, just saying. Looks like this barbecue is ready, so you had better get on with making the salad.”

“Me?”

“Of course, it’s not that difficult. Just open the packet of salad leaves, tip it into a bowl then cut up the tomatoes, cucumber and avocado. Add it all to the bowl and toss.”

“Toss?”

“Mix it together.”

Virginia did as requested and proudly presented her creation to Desmond.

“What do you think? The first salad I’ve ever cooked.”

“Cooked isn’t the right term but not a bad effort. There’s just one thing.”

“What’s that, I’ve put in everything you told me to. Oh I know, I forgot the salad dressing, right?”

“Well, yes that, but you should also remove the avocado skin before you cut it into small pieces.”

“I thought it was ok to leave the skin on salad vegetables.”

“The tomato and cucumber yes, but not avocado.”

“Oh, well I’ll know next time.”

“I thought you said this was only a one off.”

“I did, but I’m starting to enjoy it. Do we have an avocado peeler?”

“You don’t actually peel avocados. You remove the seed and scoop the flesh out of the shell.”

“Complicated isn’t it?”

After dinner, Desmond showed Virginia how to stack the dishwasher and they settled into the lounge with their coffee. “Virginia, are you sure you want to share a bed, there is a second bedroom?”

“Desmond, I’m surprised? I come here without my husband, not that he’d be much use anyway, I give my hired man the week off and you still have to ask. Am I being too subtle for you?”

“No my love, I just want to be sure, that after all these years you are prepared for what might happen if we start this again.”

“My love, you called me, that’s very forward of you.”

“You do know that I’ve always been in love with you Virginia. But if we rekindle our relationship there’s no going back this time. You can’t just play with my emotions anymore. I won’t settle for just a dirty weekend away, I want more.”

“That’s pretty straight up Desmond. You’ve really put me in my place.”

“Good, then you understand me. I’m not just one of your hired men that will go off to another job after a year or so.”

“Desmond I don’t respond well to ultimatums. I do want to find a way to make this work, so can we just enjoy this week together and when we get back I’ll see what I can do.”

<>

The following morning, after cooking breakfast together, they went for a walk around the town. Virginia bought a few small gifts for the staff at home and when passing an estate agent paused to look at the window display of local properties for sale.

“Look Desmond, how cheap properties are here. Wouldn’t it be lovely to have our own holiday house to come to whenever we like.”

“Many people do, I’m surprised you and Mr Price haven’t bought a place.”

“He’s not really the holiday house type. Some of these look really nice. I want one on the waterfront, like the apartment we’re staying at now. Hey, I like this one. I think I’ll buy that. What do you think?”

“You don’t just buy a property from the window. You can’t just flash your credit card and buy a house.”

“Why not, my card doesn’t have a limit.”

“There’s more to it than that.”

“Why is everything so complicated?”

***

Virginia spent three days shopping in Melbourne and then they drove back to Sydney in one day.

 

Next Chapter - Jonathan Price rebuffed. - Jonathan makes Jared an offer. - Virginia asks Jonathan for his cheque book.
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 3
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Interesting chapter. I don't think Virginia is gonna play ball with the husband. I think she has better idea of what she wants and that seems to be a relationship with Desmond.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Something is afoot.  I'm not too sure yet what is going down.  @chris191070 may well be right.

But the Price part of this drama is still ongoing for some time, I predict.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

Something is afoot.  I'm not too sure yet what is going down.  @chris191070 may well be right.

But the Price part of this drama is still ongoing for some time, I predict.

I think we may all be in for some surprises regarding the lives of the Prices' @ReaderPauland @chris191070. This is after all, one of the many charms of our author's story telling. 

I do not think Virginia is going to put up with any nonsense from Jonathan. She indicated she is happy to be a handbag when needed, otherwise she will continue to live as she always has, or at least has done since married to Jonathan. 

I hope Virginia thinks long and hard before resuming a relationship with Desmond, if that is what she ultimately chooses. He strikes me as no fool though, with a strength to resist her charms if she is not genuine.

I am not convinced Jonathan's interest in politics is at all altruistic. Part of me thinks he may have become a little bored with random sex (or perhaps his libido is on the wane), and a political career may be his new "ego-stroker". I do not recall him having previously displayed any philanthropy, so methinks he may become bored very quickly, particularly when he realises he may not be able to buy his pre-selection and, may have to mix with people "beneath" him socially. Perhaps I judge him too harshly, he is after all a product of his upbringing. 

A most amusing chapter @Wombat Bill. My favourite line, and I think one of your best yet "Virginia was impressed with her salmon, and her only disappointment was, they did not stock her favourite champagne so she settled for a domestic variety". She is clueless and snobby, but honest about it, which one has to admire. You also snuck a word in the following paragraph which I don't recall ever having seen before, vignerons. Amusing and educational; you are spoiling us, and we appreciate it.

 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..