Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,636 Words
  • 526 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sexual content

Catering With Benefits (3) - An Appetite for More - 30. You May Like to Live Dangerously Des

p style="text-align:center;"> 182766359_296775828700003_35347801960487 

The following morning, Thomas went through the formalities of cancelling all bookings, advising the charities of such and closing all social media accounts associated with the campaign. He sent cheques anonymously to all the charities and cancelled the order for the TV sets.

<>

Meanwhile Jared went to the Regency Club to collect Price’s car and returned it to the company carpark. He had not heard from Price so he checked with Prism, who said Price was in his office.

“Good morning Jonathan, I didn’t hear from you last night, so I collected the Roller this morning and it’s down in parking now.”

“Thanks Jared, I spent the night at Potts Point, I didn’t feel like the long trip back to Castle Hill. I hope you and Thomas enjoyed your afternoon at The Regency.”

“We certainly did, it’s very impressive. They really do know how to look after their members.”

“Yes, nothing is too much trouble for them. All members’ requests are fulfilled, but that’s what’s expected at a member owned club.”

“Will you be going out today Jonathan?”

“No, I have plenty to do here. I’ve neglected things of late, being tied up by the campaign, so I’ll have a few busy days reconnecting with the business. You just fill in your day as usual and we’ll probably go back to Crystalline about six.”

<>

When Thomas was finished in the office, he went via the kitchen at Crystalline to check if all was ready for his garden lunch with Virginia. He then took a bottle of Virginia’s favourite wine in an ice bucket and two coupe glasses and headed down to the wisteria pergola. As he walked through the garden a warm familiar feeling came over him, a feeling he had not experienced for over six months.

<>

Virginia picked up the phone to call the kitchen, but paused while Desmond’s words, about her reluctance to go to the kitchen, replayed in her head. She replaced the phone in its charging cradle, stuffed a handful of tissues into her bra, descended the staircase and strode on to the kitchen.

“Good day Mrs Price, how can I help you?” asked Carol.

“Just checking all is ready for my lunch with Thomas.”

“All ready when you are, in fact Thomas has already taken drinks into the garden.”

“I knew it would be, just wanted to check. We do have a fine kitchen here Carol.”

“Yes Mrs Price?” replied a confused Carol.

“Give us about twenty minutes to chat before you serve please Carol.”

As Virginia left the kitchen, Carol and Cook looked questioningly at each other, then Carol shrugged her shoulders.

<>

They embraced as family would. Gone were the old customs of PA and employer. As she sat and Thomas poured, Virginia retrieved a tissue from her cleavage, dabbed her eyes gently and discarded the tissue on a small silver tray that already held the popped cork.

“Is this a catch-up lunch?” she asked.

“Well, yes I suppose it is, but I just wanted to see you, it’s been so long since we chatted privately.”

“Yes it has been, but that has been somewhat out of my control lately.”

“I know I have been busy with Mr P’s campaign but I should not have neglected our friendship.”

“Nice of you to say so, but what really brings you here today?”

“I told you, a catch-up.”

“Thomas my dear boy, you know that I know you better than that. Do you want your old job back?”

“No...what I mean is that’s not the reason for being here.”

“Then tell me, what is the reason?”

“I don’t know why I ever try to hide anything from you Mrs P, you always see right through me.”

“So we’re back to Mrs P?”

“Old habits are hard to break, Virginia. Ok, I’ll come clean, but this is a bit difficult. Mr P says something is bothering you and you won’t talk to him about it. He’s worried about you and thought you might like to talk to me.”

“So you two now talk about me and my needs?”

“Well, we do both care for you.”

“Thanks, but I’m not going to talk to you about what he thinks is bothering me. It’s quite frankly none of your business. Sorry to be so blunt, but that’s how it is.”

“I’m sorry I tried to intrude, but you must know I would never do anything like that without good reason.”

“And you felt my husband’s concern for me was good reason?”

“Of course, but if you don’t want to talk, I respect that.”

“Good, now top up my glass and tell me what’s happening in your life.”

“Do you mean the campaign?”

“No, I definitely don’t want to know about that. I want to know about you.”

“The campaign pretty much is my life, or has been for the last six months.”

“Has been?”

“Yes, haven’t you been told, it’s all over. The newspaper articles pretty much put an end to it and what support we had, disappeared overnight. People don’t seem to be able to differentiate between the man and his policies. If they don’t like the man, they don’t care about his policies.”

“You seem quite upset about this.”

“I am, I supported Mr P’s good intentions and the campaign has been my life 24/7 for months, so to see it come crashing down over gossip is disappointing, to say the least. Ok Mr P had his shortcomings, but we were working on that and would have succeeded given enough time and opportunity. But now he’s lost his nerve and I suppose I don’t blame him for that.”

“Thomas, do you need a hug?”

“Yes please.” replied Thomas as he became misty eyed.

After the hug, Virginia said “Isn’t life strange? You came here today to support me and suddenly it’s the other way around.”

“Sorry to be so wimpy, but I believed in what I was trying to do.”

“How’s Jared taking all this?”

“Oh you know Jared he just gets on with it and doesn’t take too much to heart. It’s just a job to him.”

“So how are he and Jonathan getting on?”

“Better than I expected. They bicker like an old couple and then forget all about it. Familiarity’s a strange animal. But then he’s also got another interest these days.”

“Oh, a new hobby or something?”

“You remember I told you that he found out Justin is his half brother?”

“Yes, everyone was quite excited about it, but I must say if the story I heard of his background is true, that’s very disturbing.”

“It is true but they seem almost obsessed with each other. You can’t keep them apart.”

“Well, they’ve spent all their lives up till now apart, not even knowing the other one even existed, it’s not really surprising they have a lot of catching up to do.”

“I realise that, and I’ve given Jared his space to do that, but there’s little things that don’t seem right. I can’t put my finger on it exactly but I’m not comfortable and yesterday I overheard a conversation where they seem to be planning a trip away.”

“What’s wrong with that?”

“Nothing really, it’s just....oh maybe I’m just being jealous.”

“That’s probably it. But you shouldn’t be jealous of siblings, blood relationships are much different to marital relationships. Tell me, you’ve never mentioned if you have brothers or sisters.”

“No, I don’t.”

“Then that’s it, you don’t have the experience of being a sibling. I must say I do envy them a bit, my sister and I fought like cat and dog when we were young. We mellowed a bit over the years, but I don’t think she has ever accepted my marriage to Jonathan. All things considered now, perhaps she was right, but it was my decision and it would have been nice for her to have been my bridesmaid, but she refused. She even said she ‘would be happy to be my bridesmaid next time, because this marriage won’t last’. I proved her wrong there.”

“Wow, I wasn’t expecting that...Virginia.”

“Mmm, families, who’d have ‘em? Now where’s lunch? Can you call the kitchen, please Thomas?”

<>

When they had finished their lunch, Thomas went back to his office and Virginia went over to the garage in search of Desmond.

“Hi Virginia, you’ve been scarce this week. We didn’t get to finish our conversation last week, when you left abruptly. Shall I put the kettle on and we’ll start again?”

“Only if you promise to just make tea and not fuss about, or...” she added as she offered a bottle she had been holding behind her back “...we could open this.”

“I like that idea, but why don’t you open it, like I showed you.”

“You may like to live dangerously Des, but I’ll pass once again.”

After the cork had been popped and glasses filled, Virginia said “Desmond, close the door, I don’t want to be interrupted again. What I have to tell you is important and sensitive.”

Virginia’s preamble covered the few years they had been lovers and referenced her pregnancy toward the end of that period.

“Of course I remember when you lost the baby. I was really upset for both of you, but why raise the matter now?”

“Because that child was not Jonathan’s.”

“But you told me it was his and would be the heir to the family fortune.”

“I Lied.”

“Do you mean it was......”

“Yes Des, it was your child.”

“But...but...I don’t understand why he didn’t say something about that.”

“He didn’t know and still doesn’t know it wasn’t his. When I realised I was pregnant, I knew it could only be yours. But I was able to convince Jonathan that he had to do the deed if he wanted an heir and to his credit he did. I was impressed with his willingness and effort. However, the gods or fate or whatever you want to call it, conspired against us and, as you know, the child was stillborn.”

“Yes and I also know you were devastated and I couldn’t do anything to comfort you in such a difficult situation. To me it was between a husband and wife and not for me to interfere.”

“If you had known differently, what would you have done?”

“I have no idea what I would have done, and am I shocked by your revelation. I don’t know, I feel slightly numb and like I’m outside my body watching this happen so long ago. I can somewhat understand why you wanted him to think it was his child, especially for the sake of the child’s future. What I don’t understand is why you didn’t tell me when your pregnancy ended.”

“There really seemed no point then. I was distraught by the loss, not thinking straight, and what would it have achieved? I kept the secret to myself all these years assuming the pain would go away. The pain of loss did fade very slowly, but as that pain faded, it was replaced by the pain of guilt.”

“Is that why you are telling me now?”

“Yes, because I don’t want there to be anything that will come between us now I intend to spend the rest of my life with you Desmond.”

“Are you going to tell him?”

“No. In a few months, I will ask Jon for a divorce and I don’t want any unnecessary complications. Divorcing him will be expensive for him, so the less problems the better.”

“Desmond, does this make any difference to our relationship, now you know that you could have had a son?”

“If he were alive, probably it would, but nature has dealt with that, for whatever reason. Plus I’m relieved that you have told me now for the sake of our ongoing relationship. I admire you for that.

***

Around six pm, Price called Jared to his office.

“Are you ready to go home now Jonathan?”

“No, I want you to drive me to the club.”

“Just for drinks or will you be dining there also?”

“I’ll see how the night pans out.”

<>

As they stepped out of the lift into the Regency Club lounge bar, Price said to Jared “I’ll wait here in the bar, can you please find Lachlan, tell him I want to see him and then you can go. Take the car and I’ll let you know when I want to be picked up. You might as well take the car home as I don’t expect I will need you till morning.”

“Very well Jonathan. Does that mean you will be spending the night here or at Potts Point?”

“That rather depends on Lachlan’s availability.”

“Understood, I’ll go look for Lachlan now.”

<>

Most of the waiters and attendants at the Regency Club were not twenty-something students as in most hospitality venues. The club paid the staff very well for their services, loyalty and confidentiality, so some gave many years of service. Lachlan was one of these employees. He was a handsome man in his late forties and had worked at the club for nearly twenty years. He had known Price by sight since he started, but novice waiters were not permitted to serve Platinum members until they had served at least a five year apprenticeship. When he was eventually assigned to the lounge bar, he made a point of always being available for Price, and over the years they had developed an unspoken of friendship. It did have an occasional sexual aspect to it, but was more than that.

“Good evening Mr Price, you want to see me.”

“Yes, when do you finish your shift?”

“Actually, I finished at six but got back into livery when I was told you wanted me.”

“That’s very good, means we won’t have to stay here. Would you like to join me for a meal at the Bennelong restaurant and then see what happens after that?”

“Certainly Jonathan, it would be my pleasure.”

“I was hoping it would be so. When you change, call us a cab, I’ll wait here.”

<>

They dined sumptuously and then went to Jonathan’s apartment.

“Coffee or brandy, or both?” asked Price.

“Let’s start with coffee.”

“Good, you know where the coffee machine is. I’ll have one of your special cappuccinos.”

“So, we are having both after all?”

<>

“I have been reading the newspapers lately, they haven’t been kind to you at all.”

“That’s putting it politely, they completely derailed my campaign.”

“How are you going to fix that?”

“I’m not, in a way they’ve done me a favour. I’m now free to live my life my way.”

“You mean now that you’ve been outed, you’re staying out?”

“There are no more doors on my closets and no skeletons either.”

“Good to hear, but you’re still married.”

“Yes, that’s my next project, now that I’m not going into politics.”

“You mean you are going to work at fixing your marriage?”

“Hell no, I’m going to get a divorce.”

“How does your wife feel about that?”

“I haven’t told her yet, but I’m sure she’ll be pleased. It was her who suggested it.”

“Wow, that’s going to cost you heaps after what, about thirty years of marriage.”

“Maybe, but she’s not a greedy woman. As long as she gets enough for a comfortable lifestyle and her man, she’ll be happy.”

“Her man?”

“Yes, it’s been going on for years. He’s actually an employee at Crystalline, so there’s another saving. I get rid of an expensive wife and an employee at the same time.”

“And then what?”

“I was thinking, a year at the villa in France and then who knows where we’ll go after that.”

“Who’s we?”

Next Chapter - Life in the jungle was never like this for Tarzan. - Craig and Thomas spend some time together.
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

🤔 An interesting chapter that reveals more than I expected to learn. In retrospect it isn’t that shocking the baby was actually Desmond’s but still I was not anticipating that to be the bubble of secrecy Virginia decided to burst. Jonathan’s comment about “her man” and how he said “it’s been going on for years” implies to the uninformed that Virginia has been cheating on him for years. That probably was not his intention with the wording yet ugh. Lachlan and Jonathan may be more like friends than just causal lovers yet clearly his former flirting with Jared & Justin along with his confusion on what Jonathan might mean by “we” indicates he may not be looking at Jonathan as a potential partner. For Jonathan’s sake especially given the courage he’s finally got to come out I hope Lachlan doesn’t break his heart but Jonathan might be just seeking him out as a travel companion rather than expecting anything more. I suppose what his intentions are will be revealed soon. Looks like Thomas has indeed been suspicious of Jared & Justin not to mention their plans he overheard yet based on his conversation with Virginia it looks like she may have persuaded him to be less wary. If we didn’t know what we know as readers I’d say everything she said made sense and I wouldn’t blame Thomas for listening to her especially considering as they’re blood brothers, which means most people wouldn’t typically imagine they would be having sex, yet I can’t help wondering how Jared will bring up this trip in conversation. If he upfront reveals he and Justin were considering going wherever it might not look suspicious to most people but if for whatever reason he decides to lie claiming he’s going alone having already overheard the plans Thomas is sure to be rightly suspicious. I’m now very curious if Craig has overheard anything and/or if he’s suspicious of the way Justin’s been acting lately. Sounds like they need to compare notes.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

@NimirRaj is, I believe, correct.  I think Thomas and Craig will compare notes.  Who knows if  Cynthia has said anything to Craig or if he overheard some gossip.  And who knows what other conversations either Craig or Thomas has overheard.

I am not really surprised that Virginia's child was really Desmond's.  

Justin and Jared are playing with fire.  How much they get burned will depends on future revelations.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

@NimirRajand @ReaderPaul I too am not surprised by Virginia's revelation her stillborn child was fathered by Desmond rather than Jonathan. I understand her motivation to deceive Jonathan, but I am not sure I believe her admission to Desmond she has disclosed this information to him to relieve herself of the "pain of guilt". The problem with lying about the "big things" in life is when you tell the truth others may not believe you; and, I am very sceptical Virginia is now telling the truth. Is it possible Virginia is in fact a master manipulator and has fooled us all? Is she telling the truth to Desmond as to the identity of the father of her stillborn child, or did she tell the truth to Jonathan, or did she lie to them both and the father is a third man (perhaps Bernard - LOL)? 

I also have to wonder if Jonathan's certainty Virginia is "not a greedy woman" is at the very least premature. Will he come to regret this assertion in a divorce? Money invariably brings out the worst in spouses in a divorce. Is it Lachlan with whom he intends to decamp to France or is he is just thinking out aloud? It would certainly seem Lachlan is the intended other party in his "Riviera romp", but this may not necessarily be the case.

I believe Thomas is formulating a plan to expose Jared and Justin, will it involve Craig? I hesitate to even guess after the surprises of this chapter.

@Wombat Bill a few revelations which have left me puzzled at least, perhaps even somewhat verklempt (I had to use it, it is such an expressive word), assuming the revelations were truthful of course.

 

 

  • Wow 2
Link to comment

@NimirRaj, I like the way you've analysed this chapter by considering all options and not jumping to any conclusions. I particularly liked the way you analysed the conversation between Virginia and Thomas.  That's pretty much what was intended.

@ReaderPaul, you're looking again for gossip and those overheard conversations. These are staples of writers trying to create mystery and suspicion, and I have been guilty of using this technique, but not overly used I hope. 

@Summerabbacat, so you think Virginia has a thing for drivers? You have also become very cynical of Virginia. Oh yes, I had to look up that word. 

What if Bernard dropped the news about their marriage, not as payback for loosing his job but to hasten the end the marriage so he might have a shot at getting Virginia in the sack again. That is assuming there was a previous occasion.  Does he know about Desmond and if so will it be spanners at 20 paces? I can't wait to read the next chapter.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..