Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 1,809 Words
  • 1,228 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sexual content

Catering With Benefits (3) - An Appetite for More - 57. Life Goes On

p style="text-align:center;"> 228217612_348754353502150_53829222627546 

In mid January rain started to fall in some areas across the east coast of Australia. Over the rest of the month, the rain spread and aided firefighters in all east coast states. The states experienced rain, hail and severe thunderstorms. But it was not all good news. Heavy rains brought on the risk of flash flooding, falling trees and landslips after fire had wiped out trees and undergrowth. While thunderstorms can bring useful rain, it can also come down fast and in high quantities, making the weather system a double-edged sword. Where there’s high concentration of ash and very vulnerable landscapes, short bursts of heavy rainfall can cause mudslides. Debris such as soil, trees and rocks can make their way to the waterways from the fire ravaged landscape.

***

Nationally, thirty three people died including nine firefighters. Among the nine fire fighters were three aerial firefighters from the USA who were killed when their water-bombing C-130 Hercules aircraft, operated by Coulson Aviation, crashed in southern NSW on 23 January 2020.

Over the next month the statistics started to roll in. Houses lost 3,094, 17 million hectares (65,000 sq miles) of land were burned. That’s an area the size of Florida or three quarters of the UK. One billion mammals, birds and reptiles died and it was estimated that hundreds of billions of insects were lost. Australians were grateful for the 1,000 personnel provided by Canada, USA and New Zealand, as well as other support from 20 other nations.

Over 152 thousand volunteers, 15 thousand paid firefighters and countless support people were involved along with over 500 aircraft.

***

Mid January, while the nation was still dealing with fires and clean up, news reports started to feature stories about a new corona virus disease in China. At first little concern was evident until the first case in Australia was diagnosed on 25 January, the day of Lunar New Year and the day before Australia’s national day. The patient, a man from Wuhan, flew to Melbourne from Guandong on 19 January.

***

In late January in Sydney, thoughts turn towards the upcoming Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras festival. As well as community entries, the parade also includes commercial floats.

This year Craig and Justin applied to enter a float to promote their ‘Catering With Benefits’ franchise company and Divas planned to combine with Dean’s for a float promoting their businesses.

At least that was the plan until Brett asked Justin if he could watch the parade from the rooftop of Poppy’s, as the parade route always went down Flinders street.

“I don’t think it would be safe to go up on the roof.” replied Justin.

“But the parade goes right past the front door; it would be a shame to waste the opportunity to have a ringside seat.”

“I’ll talk to Craig and see what he thinks.”

<>

“I agree it wouldn’t be safe on the roof and the building owner might not be happy with people stomping around on the roof.” was Craig’s opinion.

“But it does seem a shame that we can’t take advantage of our position on Flinders.”

“Maybe there’s another way and we could make big bucks from it.”

“I like the sound of that.”

“What if we had a stand erected over the front entrance, high enough to see over the crowd on the street. We could charge people to view the parade, and also have Poppy’s open for dining.” suggested Craig

“And Dean’s and Divas could be involved as well.”

“We could offer a complete package, parade, dinner, drinks and after party.”

“Let’s talk to the guys and see what they think.”

***

When Lachlan received an email from Mardi Gras advising of the parade and party date and a link to the Festival program he realised he would miss all the fun of Mardi Gras this year, unless.....

“Jonathan, have you ever been to Mardi Gras?”

“No, it’s not really my thing. Although, I have seen it on TV.”

“Maybe it wasn’t before, but now that you are out, don’t you think it’s time we walked down Oxford street, hand in hand?”

“You really want me to come out that far?”

“Why not, there’s no point leaving the closet door ajar.”

“That’s a quaint way of putting it. So what would this entail, I’m not standing in the street with thousands of screaming queens.”

“Very few of the people watching the parade are screaming queens, most of them will be in the parade, but that’s not really the point. You won’t have to stand in the street, we can get tickets in the VIP stand and you will have a seat and an uninterrupted view.”

“That’s sounds better, so when is this shindig on?”

“29th of February.”

“That’s only a month away. Do you want to go home so soon?”

“I would like to take you to Mardi Gras and we can come back here anytime. How about it?”

“It may be a good time to go back, as there are business matters to finalise with the public float of the company, and it may be better to be there in case there are any last minute details to attend to. Let’s do it.”

***

The business owners had a meeting and all agreed the party was a great idea. Craig quickly found a contractor to erect a scaffolding viewing stand over the front entrance and Edward got the advertising organised. He really need not have bothered with the advertising as word of mouth spread so quickly they were fully booked before the weekly edition of the gay newspaper was published.

***

Lachlan was looking for the website to book seats in the VIP viewing stands when he came across the Star Online, newspaper site. There on page three was a full page ad for Mardi Gras at Divas, offering seating with an uninterrupted view of the parade, a four course meal, wine and beer included and an after-parade party all at the one venue.

He immediately went onto the booking link to discover it was fully booked. When he told Jonathan he said “I know those people. That’s where we held some functions for my ill-fated political campaign. I’ll give them a call.”

“But it’s fully booked already.”

“My good man, I like to think I still have some sway in certain circles in Sydney, leave it to me.”

When Jonathan identified himself and reminded Edward of how much business he had put through the venue, Edward replied “Of course Jonathan, I’m sure we can find space for two more.”

“Excellent, it’s always a pleasure to do business with you, but my party might be more than two.”

“Jonathan, I am happy to oblige you, up to a point. But if I can give you some advice, it would not be wise to antagonise a bitchy old acid-tongued queen, who incidentally will be on stage on the night and looking for a target.”

“I don’t take kindly to being threatened.”

“And I don’t take kindly to be leaned on, so now that we understand each other, shall I send you the confirmation for your booking for a party of two?”

<>

Jonathan had the staff close up the villa and he and Lachlan returned to Sydney early February. There was already speculation in the Australian media that the Government may soon close the international border, so Lachlan was pleased they had made the decision to return.

When Jonathan turned on his phone on arrival, he had a message from Virginia saying she had some exciting news. He called from the limo on their way to Castle Hill.

“Hi Nia, we’ve just arrived and on our way home now. What’s your news?”

“Desmond and I are getting married.”

“Well, congratulations.”

“Thank you, I’m glad you are supportive of my decision.”

“Why wouldn’t I be, we both have our separate lives now.”

“Oh, I don’t know, just all the past and that. I thought you might have reservations.”

“Not at all, I hope you will both be very happy. Have you set a date?”

“Not an exact date but we see no reason to wait, so as soon as we can arrange a ceremony and a venue.”

“Would you like to have it at Crystalline?”

“That’s generous of you to offer, but I think there are too many distracting memories there. I hope you understand Jon.”

“Of course, I just wanted to make the offer. So what plans have you got?”

“I want Craig to do the catering, wherever we have it, so he’s coming over today to discuss it.”

“That’s good, will I be invited?”

“Of course Jon, you’re already on the list.”

***

Craig and Justin went to the Potts Point apartment to meet Virginia and Desmond.

“It won’t be a big event Craig, just close friends.”

“That’s good, because I’ve heard rumours that the health department may soon be limiting the number of people who can attend indoor venues.”

“Because of this Corona thing?”

“Yes, it’s starting to sound serious. Anyway, would you like to have your wedding at our venue. We could do the catering and the attached venue, Divas has a great atmosphere.”

“Yes, I’ve been there for Jonathan’s political thing.”

“So will you be getting married in a church or a civil ceremony?”

“Oh no church wedding for me, been there and done that. Besides, it’s unseemly to be a bride in white more than once.”

“Then may I suggest a marriage celebrant I know?”

“Of course, who?”

“Do you remember Edward, who runs Divas?”

“The one that dresses as woman?”

“Well yes, him. He’s just got his marriage celebrant’s licence.”

“Virginia, can I have a word?” asked Desmond

“What is it Des?”

“This Edward, will he be dressed as a woman for the ceremony?”

“No, he only does that for a show, he’s... what do you call it, Craig?”

“A drag queen.”

“That’s it, I’ve heard he’s very good at it, maybe he could do it for entertainment afterwards.”

“But not for the ceremony?’ asked Desmond.

“No, he takes that responsibility very seriously.” assured Craig.

Justin then suggested “Then all we have to do now is set a date and get some menu plans to you.”

“Just looking through our diary Virginia, Divas is booked up for all weekends in February, so how about grabbing the first or second weekend in March?”

“Let’s go for the second weekend, and that will give us a month to get invitations out and RSVP’d.”

“I’ll log it in now.”

The Mardi Gras parade and party were held on 29 February, making it the last major event of its size to be held in Sydney before a Public Health Order on 15 March forced the immediate cancellation of major events of more than 500 people because of the Covid 19 pandemic.

Next Chapter - The Parade - The Party - The Wedding - The End
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow, @Wombat Bill what a good chapter.  I hope the end-of-chapter teaser does not mean you will stop writing the story.  I hope you mean only that you might pause the story for a time, and then continue, perhaps as a Part 4.

Very realistic.  Here in the United States, we often see flooding of large wildfire areas causing even more damage.  

This is one of the few stories which I will be reading for quite a while.  I have other favorite authors. but even of them I don't always complete a very long story (say, two hundred thousand words or more).  Again, well done.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Awesome chapter. The statistics of the fires make sombre reading.

It's great to see Jonathan and Lachlan attending pride. Desmond and Virginia marrying, will make for a great party.

I hope the end of chapter teaser doesn't mean the end of the story.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I notice, @Wombat Bill, that through chapter 57 Catering With Benefits 3 has 157,116 words so far.  Well done.  There are very few, if any wasted words.  This story reminds me of a well-designed and well-sewn garment.  It looks and feels (reads) great, but considerable effort and care have been taken with the construction of this story.  Yes, some parts are difficult to read.  Well, guess what!  Life is sometimes challenging and demanding!  So that makes it fairly true to life.

This story has my attention as few others do.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 7/30/2021 at 5:03 PM, ReaderPaul said:

There are very few, if any wasted words.

When I was young I read very little because I wasn't given stories that interested me and many had two many words. I once remember trying to read a story that took 3 pages to describe the sky. When I started writing recently I quickly discovered I could not write long passages of description, so I gave up trying and just stuck to the facts that drive the story forward.

I remember a very old TV show Dragnet where the lead character used to say "All we want are the facts, ma'am". That is my writer's motto.

So my unwasted words are by chance rather than design. But if it works, good! 

I guess I write what I want to read. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 7/30/2021 at 3:31 PM, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter. The statistics of the fires make sombre reading.

Perfectly said @chris191070. Sombre indeed (and thank you for spelling sombre correctly).

"But if I can give you some advice, it would not be wise to antagonise a bitchy old acid-tongued queen, who incidentally will be on stage on the night and looking for a target.” The return of a snappy "Ed Wienerism" much welcomed by this bitchy (not quite old) acid-tongued queen. 

Craig is quite the sharp business man isn't he. 

@Wombat Bill I love the explanation of your modus operandi "........ just stuck to the facts that drive the story forward". I agree that you have a distinct talent for this, but I think you still sell yourself a little (at least) short. As @ReaderPaul indicated you have held his attention to this story like few others do. I second that statement; the sheer joy of reading this story has helped me greatly through one of the unhappiest chapters of my life to date. Thank you.

I am going to leave the finale and epilogue for another night as it will be a sad farewell to old friends.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 3
Link to comment

I had doubts about including the stats, thinking they might seem a bit dry in a work of fiction. However they seem to have done the job, judging by your comments. 

I too will miss living with our friends on a daily basis. You know, I just a had an idea. Not all of their stories have been told. There must be snippets of their lives we have missed. Maybe a few flashbacks in short story form would work. I'll ask them and see what they have to say.  

In the meantime, if you can go back in your memory and can think of any unanswered questions, unresolved issues or occasions when you wanted to know more about a story line or a character, in any of the books, let me know. 

Edited by Wombat Bill
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Nice to see Virginia & Desmond planning their wedding though now they’ve all got coronavirus to worry about. Catering jobs especially are surely going to drop off severely once the pandemic seriously gets in motion so I’m a little worried for everyone from both a health & financial standpoint as we know here in reality it has been hard for many people.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 8/2/2021 at 9:41 AM, Wombat Bill said:

In the meantime, if you can go back in your memory and can think of any unanswered questions, unresolved issues or occasions when you wanted to know more about a story line or a character, in any of the books, let me know. 

Thank you all for your kind words of support. I found one unfinished story line that I am working on, surely you can find more. ⌨️ 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..