Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,670 Words
  • 589 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sexual content

Catering With Benefits (3) - An Appetite for More - 22. The Aftermath

p style="text-align:center;"> 178115272_289173089460277_52421475136259 

The incident at The Candidate did not go unnoticed by members of the media table. In fact one journalist was there for most of the time as he had sensed something happening when Virginia made a pass at Justin and asked him to accompany her to Jonathan’s table.

As the two women walked away to the toilet, he attempted to follow them but was stopped by Jared.

“Hey, hands off matey, it’s still a free country.”

“Only so long as I say it is.” replied Jared “The ladies room is off limits for you.”

“Then tell me what’s going on. Wasn’t that Price, our candidate, and his wife arguing, something about him being gay?”

“You must have misunderstood, no one said that.”

“Then what did she mean by....” he looked at his notes and continued “...Better an old boiler than an old poofter?”

“I heard no such thing. Now will you please return to your table and leave the guests alone.”

“Hey, we were invited here by Price to report on the evening. In my book that includes the good news and the bad.”

“I have no news for you at all, but if you want to leave me your card I can have Mr Price’s press secretary contact you in a few days.”

“You mean when he’s had a chance to put together a cover story and silence all the witnesses.”

“Mr Price does not act in that way, I can assure you.”

“So says the hired help, and by the way why did she call you a traitor and double-crosser?”

“That was just the alcohol talking, there’s no substance to it.”

“Then what about this?” he again looked at his notebook “...and I quote, having it off with me and my PA at the same time.”

“Again, it means nothing.”

“Fine, have it your way. I’ve given you the chance to tell your side of the story, so you’ll just have to read what others have to say in the paper.”

“Mr Reporter, I don’t take kindly to threats, so please mind what you say.”

“There’s a story here and I’m going to sniff it out, believe you me, and the name’s Shand, Tim Shand.”

The reporter then walked back to his table and was observed to be in an animated conversation with the other journalists.

<>

By the time Virginia came from the toilet, Desmond was in the function room looking for her. When he saw her being supported by Margaret, he ran to her side and asked “Are you all right, I heard you’d taken ill?”

Margaret answered for her friend “Desmond, is it?”

“Yes Madam.”

She’s just had a few too many, you know how it is. I think she’s ready to go home now and get some sleep. Can you do that?”

“Certainly Madam.”

“Good man. You take Mrs Price and I’ll let her husband know she’s in good hands.”

As Desmond assisted Virginia to the door, she finally spoke, albeit with a slur, “Hello Desmond, where did you come from, you mished a good party.”

“Yes Virginia, I heard it got quite lively towards the end.”

“Lively, that s a good word for it.... You ssshould have seen the look on Jon’s face when I told him he was an old poofter.” She took a breath.” I hope someone got a photo of it.”

As they reached the car and Desmond opened the rear door, Virginia said “No need to play chauffer when it’s shust us, I want to ride up front with you. In fact I’d drive you, if I knew how.”

“That would not be advisable, even if you could drive.”

Virginia took the front passenger seat and replied “Are you trying to tell me I’m tipsy?”

“No, not all; I’m telling you you’re totally pissed.”

“Desmond, don’t exaggsherate, I’m just a little merry, yes that’s the word, merry. What a lovely word to shay you are sho happy.”

“As you wish Virginia, now get your seatbelt on.”

“Is it going to be a bumpy ride? Who said that?”

“You just did.”

“No before me. It wash in a movie.”

“It was Bette Davis in, All About Eve, and she actually said ‘It’s going to be a bumpy night’.”

“Oh Desmond you are sussh a font of knowledge.”

“Thank you, now lie back and have a nap on the way home.”

“I’m not in the mood for a nap, I want to talk.”

“What about?”

“Oh, life and love and....” She never finished the sentence as she slipped into sleep.

An exasperated Desmond looked to his left and concluded. “Finally!”

<>

At 10.30 pm, Max took to the stage for the last time. “Well what a night, I think you must agree. If so please can I have one more show of appreciation for the performers, cooks, waiters, organisers, staff and Jonathan Price.” The audience applauded then Max added “It will be open bar for a further 30 minutes and then the drinks are on you. Thank you again and please, when you leave, go quietly and safely. Goodnight!”

Price had intended to stay until the last guest left and farewell them all individually with a firm handshake and a friendly smile. However, under the circumstances he felt too many questions would be asked by all that witnessed the incident, especially the press. As soon as Max made the final announcement he had Thomas call him a taxi and left quietly and unnoticed.

By 11.00pm, when the free alcohol stopped flowing there were only a few guests left and they moved into the bar area. This included all the media people, some of whom were determined to find the real story.

Jared locked the front door to stop any further entry and stationed one waiter there to let guests leave. He then went to a booth in the bar and joined the rest of his friends. The conversation was mostly about Juanito’s and Tristan’s performances, until Jared arrived, then it turned to the Price incident. After a few questions he said “I don’t think we should be talking about this now. The media guys are in the next booth and are surprisingly quiet. You understand me?”

“Got it” said Justin.

Sensing there was more to be discussed, Craig said quietly “Justin, grab a few bottles from Dean and we’ll reconvene in the office.” as he tapped the side of his nose.

Before he left the bar, Justin asked Dean “How are we going to get rid of those journos?”

“I’m charging late night prices, so I don’t think they’ll stay long, journos are known for having deep pockets but short arms.”

“Good thinking. When you get rid of them, come and join us in the office.”

As Justin walked away he heard Dean call “Last drinks, ladies and gentlemen.”

Whether it was their cheapness or lack of interest when everyone else left the bar, Dean was not sure, but they all finished their drinks and left without their story.

***

As everyone who had participated in the night’s activities gathered in Craig’s office, he proposed a toast to a successful function and thanked all for their hard work.

“And I would like to echo those words.” said Edward “My first function since taking over management of the room and I would deem it a roaring success. Well done everyone.”

Tristan and Juanito were each congratulated by their friends, most of whom had not seen either of them perform previously. While their individual performances were appreciated it was their somewhat impromptu duet that was the main topic of conversation.

“Who put that act together?” asked Jeremy.

“It was I.” answered Edward, “I wasn’t sure how it would go and was really a last minute addition to the program, so they didn’t have to each do an encore.”

“Well, it was sheer brilliance.” said Brett. “I think you two have a future as a double act.”

“Did it really go down that well?” asked Juanito.

“If a standing ovation didn’t convince you of that, I don’t know what would.”

“I agree.” added Edward “A great singer and a top dancer, both serious performers, yet together you make a comedy duo that surprised even me.”

Tristan then asked “Do you think they were laughing with us or at us?”

“Does it matter?” asked Justin “You entertained them, that’s what’s important.”

“What I mean is, if it was my bad singing or, and excuse me mate, Juanito’s bad dancing, then can we re-create it?”

Snowy then said “From one that didn’t see the performance, can I suggest you do it again for those that missed it, and then we’ll know?”

“Yes,” said Andy, who was working the bar at the time.

“What, now guys.” asked Tristan.

“Why not, everyone’s gone, there’s just us left. How about it fellas?”

Tristan looked at Juanito and asked “Are you in?” Juanito smiled and nodded.

“Ok Mr Producer, there’s your cue to hit the lights and crank up the music.’ added Romel, who had arrived late, after finishing his shift and had not seen any of the show.

The boys hurriedly got back into costume while everyone else grabbed a drink and a chair, then settled down for a private show.

Needless to say there was another standing ovation at the end of the performance, while Snowy and Raj went on stage and hugged their boyfriends.

***

Desmond carried Virginia to her bedroom and then he called upon Carol to prepare her for bed. He then went to his own flat and worried about her all night. It was the night’s events that made him realise what a difficult position he was in. Despite being lovers, she still lived at the family home and her husband also lived there. He concluded that if they had any chance of a permanent relationship it would not happen while he was still treated as the hire helped.

***

Sunday was a very quiet day for all at Crystalline. Hangovers, embarrassment, anger, frustration and disappointment were served up in equal measure as each member of the household breakfasted late and alone.

At Leichhardt, Thomas and Jared mulled over the night’s events, good and bad. But finally had to discuss the elephant.

“What do you think made her do that?” asked Jared

“Short answer is alcohol, but I suspect that was only the catalyst. The real problem must have been simmering away for some time. Virginia, as you know is a very controlled and self-disciplined person and would not willingly hurt or embarrass anyone. But add alcohol to the mix, inhibitions are lowered and her true feelings were put on show for all to see.”

“But it really only started relatively innocently when she asked Justin to show his body.”

“Maybe, but a sober Virginia would have known that was inappropriate for him to do on such an occasion.”

“She might have been inappropriate or a bit naughty, as she would say, but it really went off the rails when Jonathan called her an old boiler.”

“I know and I’ve warned him before that he has to be careful about every word he says in public.”

“Do you think it was the alcohol with him too?”

“No, admittedly I wasn’t close to him all night, but every time I saw him he was up close and personal with someone that he considered important to his campaign, but rarely did I see him with a glass in his hand.”

“So you think he can be a loose cannon?”

“Unfortunately it seems so.”

Just then Thomas’s phone rang. As he looked at it he said to Jared ”Speak of the devil....Good morning Jonathan.”

“There’s nothing good about it Steadman. What are you going to do to fix last night’s debacle?”

“I’m not sure we need to do anything Jonathan. Let’s wait and see if we hear anything more about it. I suspect not.”

“Why do you say that?”

“The media got nothing out of anybody last night. We all closed ranks and either kept quiet or denied anything they tried to suggest. Last I saw any of the media they were all gathered together trying to listen to those of us that were involved or witnessed the event. So we left the room and I’m told by Dean, who runs the bar, they left soon after the free bar closed.”

“I hope you’re right Steadman. I should have you over here today strategising just in case.”

“If you feel strongly about it, but I think it will all be forgotten by tomorrow. And no offence, but you’re just not that newsworthy yet.”

“Fine, I’ll take your advice, but I’m not happy about what happened.”

“I understand that, but there’s something you can do today, and that is you need to talk to Mrs P. You two need to sort out how you are going to work together on this. Public spats are not what we want to portray to the public.”

“Are you blaming me for this? She’s the one that called me an old poofter in front of important people.”

“I will be perfectly honest with you Jonathan, even if it might cost me my job. You might not remember the exact order of events, but it was you that called her an old boiler first.”

“Goodbye Steadman, have a good day.”

A stunned Thomas looked at the call ended message on his phone, shook his head then looked blankly at Jared.

“What was that all about?”

“I think you know.”

“Of course, I meant what did he say?”

“Not a lot, but I can always tell when he’s pissed, he calls me Steadman. Then he hung up on me.”

“Please tell we don’t have to work today.”

“He wanted me to, but I talked him out of it.”

“Well done.”

***

On Monday morning, the following story appeared on page 5 of the Sydney Daily News, under the banner, Weekend Political Roundup.

The independent candidate for the federal seat of Sydney East, Jonathan Price, held his first political function on Saturday night at a venue called Divas. The event was well attended by the influential of Sydney’s eastern suburbs. The function was sold as a fundraiser for local charities, but was in effect a thinly veiled effort to promote the candidate as he will be seen to donate the funds raised as part of his election campaign.

There was some good local talent presented for the official entertainment section of the evening. A singer named Juanito Villiar and a dancer, Tristan Coyle performed separately, then had the crowd on its feet when they did a double act.

However, the best show was kept till later in the evening, when Price and his wife aired their dirty linen in public .Mrs made a play for a good looking young waiter. Then, when Mr called her an old boiler, she returned fire with ‘Better an old boiler than an old poofter’.

Their minders immediately closed ranks around them, and not only refused to talk about it but denied it even happened, despite half the room hearing it.

But this writer was left wondering what Mrs meant when she accused the security man of “having it off with me and my PA at the same time.”

***

The newspaper was on Price’s desk along with his mail and approvals for him to sign, when he arrived at work.

“Good morning Mr Price.”

“Good morning Prism, did you have a good weekend?”

She stumbled over her answer, as it was the first time she could remember him asking about her welfare. “Oh...yes...thank you Mr Price. How did the function go on Saturday?” she replied in an effort to return the interest.

“Very good thank you. I think we raised a good sum for the local charities.”

“Excellent news. Would you like a coffee now?”

“Yes, I’ll have it while I browse through the newspaper.”

“Coming right up Mr. Price.”

Next Chapter - Thomas, the smooth operator - A mystery caller.
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

4 minutes ago, ReaderPaul said:

Wow!  Going to have to analyze this some more.

Yes, off to bed and think about it tomorrow. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

Wow!  Going to have to analyze this some more.

Quite so @ReaderPaul. As a chapter it was very much a post-mortem of its predecessor. The teaser at the end of the chapter suggests Thomas' public relation skills will somehow smooth ruffled feathers. This should be very interesting to observe. Our "wizard of words" will likely have an effective strategy for Thomas to employ.  

I have little doubt Thomas will be able to negotiate a truce between Virginia and Jonathan, he may be able to persuade the newspaper to print a retraction or present an alternative explanation for the evenings dramatic "highlights", but how will he convince a skeptical public the fabricated nature of Jonathan and Virginia's relationship is the real nature of their relationship. Only time will tell. Perhaps he can "borrow" some of your alliterative prose @ReaderPaul to dazzle the said public.

@Wombat BillI sense Desmond may not be entirely comfortable with Virginia's penchant for expensive champagne. She may have to downgrade her tastes to the domestic variety if she wishes to retain him as her paramour. Perhaps she could become a spokesperson for domestic champagne to assist Jonathan's campaign, of course she would have to refer to it as pinot noir chardonnay (🤮🤮🤮🤮).

I was immediately struck by another opportunity for Jared to employ the talent's of his friend "The Fixer". Is this alarming that I even noticed this, or is my distaste for this facet of Jared's character so great I am looking for opportunities to "bring about his undoing". All I can say is, if Tim Shand wrote the article for the Sydney Daily News, he had best watch his back. I fear Jared's attraction to pain and violence may not be restricted to and wholly satisfied by sounding, ball and nipple torture, and the elimination of homophobic sperm donors.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Wow 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

I was immediately struck by another opportunity for Jared to employ the talent's of his friend "The Fixer". Is this alarming that I even noticed this, or is my distaste for this facet of Jared's character so great I am looking for opportunities to "bring about his undoing". All I can say is, if Tim Shand wrote the article for the Sydney Daily News, he had best watch his back. I fear Jared's attraction to pain and violence may not be restricted to and wholly satisfied by sounding, ball and nipple torture, and the elimination of homophobic sperm donors.

Honesty, while I’m not sure if it’s more reflective on Jared’s personality or on my dark outlook on life yet I felt the same alarm bells go off when Jared told the reporter he didn’t like to be threatened. I was freaking out when the reporter boldly told him his name wondering to myself if that would be something he’d come to regret later if Jared decided he was a problem that needs to “go away”. Overall I doubt Jared will do anything now as it seems kinda pointless at this point unless his anger just got the better of him. This whole situation may have opened up a new avenue for Desmond as he’s fed up with simply being the help & hiding in the shadows. I could see him anonymously leaking information to the reporters about the facade of a marriage in the hopes that the revelation that their marriage is only a prentice would lead to him being able to be with Mrs. Price/Virginia publicly. Yes it would be a wrong of him to air their dirty laundry as well as potentially hurt Mrs. Price/Virginia yet overall I’d say Mr. Price/Jonathan benefits much more from their facade and would be hurt the most from such a news headline while Mrs. Price/Virginia would likely come through it somewhat better off in the long run. Her drunken comment hoping someone got a photo of him when she called him a poofter indicates that she’s getting fed up with the lie herself and is likely on some level hoping the truth will come out. Thomas is very skilled at handling complicated situations so I have no doubt he could smooth things over to some extent if only because it was page 5 not front page news. As the said Jonathan isn’t that newsworthy yet though that just means reporters will only dig deeper into his closet the more he places himself in the spotlight. Yes, Jared’s lie that what the reporters heard never happened was beyond pathetic yet “if” they couldn’t get any other witnesses to come forward the facts might be more easily disputed.

  • Like 2
  • Wow 2
Link to comment

@NimirRaj and @Summerabbacat have both analyzed the situation well.  It might be that Jared and Thomas have sources which could dig up dirt on Tim Shand.  Might there be something in Tim's background that he does not wish known?  Or perhaps dirt on the media outlet for which Tim Shand works?

If Tim is not careful, even Edward and Andy might team up and come up with something about Tim.  I don't know what that might be at this point, but both have shown much resourcefulness.

Samuel (Mark Twain) Clemens was a world-class wrangler of words.  Our own wizard of words is well-endowed with a sense of wittiness, surprise wonderment, and tangents of thoughts as he tells these tales.  I am now awaiting @Wombat Bill working more twists and turns in future episodes.

Edited by ReaderPaul
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment

You are an evil lot today.

@Summerabbacat, wants the Fixer, via Jared to do away with Tom Shand.

@NimirRaj, wants Desmond to dob.

and @ReaderPaul, wants Thomas, Jared, Andy and Edward all to deal with Tim Shand, a man "only doing his job" as journos and fond of saying in their defense.  

My twists and turns pale into insignificance compared to what your evil minds come up with. You do worry me.

SPOILER ALERT - I don't see any of your predictions in the future, this time. A rarity indeed!  

Oh, and I forgot to mention what a beautiful sounding word is Paramour. Research shows its use has declined from a rating of 8 in the 1800s to 2 in the 2000s. I guess Mistress has replaced it for females and we really don't have a common word for males. Is that because it's consider ok for males? So bring back paramour!

Edited by Wombat Bill
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, ReaderPaul said:

@Wombat Bill, @Summerabbacat, @NimirRaj, I just thought of another possibility.  Jonathan buys the newspaper....

Ah, alas we often forget the easy way rich people tend to get their way: money. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Yes, that would be an easy way to shut them up in a sense though they aren’t the only source of journalism in the world. If it got out that he bought the newspaper to shut them up it would only confirm what they printed was true as well as make it look like he may have more skeletons in his closet he was afraid they’d find. 

  • Like 2
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..