Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 3,357 Words
  • 1,263 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sexual content

Catering With Benefits (3) - An Appetite for More - 53. A Bit Wobbly

p style="text-align:center;"> 192889131_345524303825155_91347476948238  

The situation in Mallacoota continued for the next four days. The days were like night and the nights were lit by the red glow from the approaching fire. Every available unit and firefighter was out trying to save the town of Mallacoota.

Embers were blowing ahead of the actual firefront and starting spot fires up to a kilometre ahead and causing the firefighters to spread their resources more and more thinly. Aerial water bombing was only having minimal effect, it was too late for back burning and brigades were eventually ordered out of the bush and told to apply their resources to saving the town.

It was not only Victoria that was ablaze. Much of the east coast of Australia was alight. At this point the Sydney basin was almost completely surrounded by fires producing so much smoke that for days Sydney was blanketed by smoke haze so thick, that at times major roads were closed and even the airport was temporarily closed. Ambulances and hospitals reported a record number of respiratory emergencies.

***

Andy had taken the days between Christmas and New Year off from the design studio but Dean had to open the bar the day after Boxing Day. After seeing Dean off, Andy spent most of the morning calling friends to tell them about Thomas and to check on Virginia’s situation.

Edward also had the week off, with no bookings until New Year’s Eve. Romel took two weeks off while elective surgery was on hold for the holiday period. He spent Christmas with his family in Manila and was due back on the morning of New Year’s Eve, to be with Edward for special New Year celebrations.

Divas was holding a New Year’s Eve party, that was already a sellout, because the party included a late night staging of the premiere performance of The Swap.

***

Two days after Boxing Day, the hospital managed to get a psychiatric consultation for Thomas. Andy had still not located Thomas’s parents so he acted as nearest family member for the hospital. He was called to the hospital to discuss the results of Thomas’s psych evaluation. The results were mixed. Thomas was assessed as being in need of further treatment, but the suspicions of his medical doctor were not upheld by his psychiatrist, who did not consider Thomas to be a suicide or self harm risk. He considered the genital mutilation not as a sign of intentional self harm but a symptom of his extreme grieving for the loss of Jared and a clumsy attempt to be closer to him.

“So what will happen with Thomas now?” asked Andy

“When his medical doctor is prepared to release him, I recommend that he be voluntary admitted to a live-in treatment facility or he can reside at his home provided he was someone with him at all times. If he chooses the second option he will need to attend my rooms for three visits a week initially.”

“Has he indicated to you his preference?”

“He needs to discuss that with those that will care for him, and I assume that’s you. Also, there is a waiting list at all public facilities in Sydney. I could however get him into a private facility if he has the means to pay.”

“If he has private health insurance would that cover the private facility?”

“Even the best private insurance will only cover part of the daily cost and for a limited period, but you should check with his insurer.”

“So, what you are saying is, he waits for a bed in a public mental hospital or he pays to get into a private one immediately.”

“That’s about it. So I recommend you discuss it with him and let me know what decision you both come to.”

***

Andy was not prepared to give Thomas the options discussed, especially in his unstable condition. He felt he might choose to wait and Andy did not want that for him. He resolved to ensure Thomas would be able to go to a private facility, even if he had to pay for it himself.

He visited Thomas before leaving the hospital but did not mention his discussion with the psychiatrist.

As he was leaving, Justin called him to say they were on their way to visit Thomas.

“I’m just about to leave the hospital, how close are you?”

“No more than ten minutes, why?”

“I’ll wait for you and explain about Thomas’ situation.”

“Ok, where will we meet you?”

“How about the coffee shop?”

“Great, see you soon.”

<>

Over coffee, Andy explained his conversation with the psychiatrist.

“And how does Thomas feel about this?” asked Craig.

“I’ve explained about getting him into care, but not about the ‘at home’ option. Do you think I did the right thing?”

“Without having spoken to Thomas or his doctors, I can’t judge, but I will say that confined care is the best option. It’s important that he feels he’s in charge of his future. Going into psychiatric care can make some people feel they have lost control. Denying him that choice may not be the best way to go.”

“But if he takes the other option, then by your own words, he’s not getting the best care.”

“I understand what you are saying, but I don’t think it’s wise to run the risk of him finding out later and feeling it was not his decision.”

“Does he need to find out?”

“You should discuss this with his psych doctor, so that he knows it’s basically your decision.”

“Thanks, I’ll do that. I just want the best for him.”

“And we won’t mention any of this to him.”

“Thanks guys, so you better go and see him now. He seemed a bit down when I was leaving, but I’ve got so much to do.”

<>

When Thomas saw his friends enter the ward, he sat up quickly but yelled “Oh fuck that hurts.”

“Are you in pain?” asked Justin.

“Only when I move suddenly. The boys have taken a beating.”

“Yeah, we heard, you need to take care of yourself better.”

“Oh I’ve heard that so many times this week. I don’t need another lecture.”

“Sorry mate, just showing I care about you.”

Craig then intervened “Probably best to leave the medical advice to his carers.”

“But, I wasn’t giving medical ad....”

Before Justin could finish, Craig shook his head, indicating Justin should stop.

“So have they given you any indication as to when you’ll be discharged?” asked Craig.

“Probably in a few days, but then they want me to go to another hospital for mental care.”

“Well that’s good progress. Isn’t it Justin?”

“How would I know, I’m not a medical expert.” he replied curtly.

“Do you really think I need mental care Craig?” Thomas asked.

“Yes, let’s hear your opinion.” suggested Justin.

After giving Justin a narrow stare, Craig replied to Thomas “If your doctors recommend it, then I would urge you to follow their advice. They will be able to help you through difficult times and help you develop the strength to deal with your grief. It’s natural to grieve, it takes time and support.”

“But sometimes Jared’s presence feels so real and I just want to do stuff that I know he likes.

But other times I know he’s.... Oh I don’t even want to say it.”

“That’s why you need professional help, so you can distinguish between reality and what you want to be.”

“I suppose you’re right. It’s just that I don’t feel like I’m crazy.”

“We don’t use such words, but I know what you mean. Mental health is as important as physical health and there is no need to feel bad about accepting help. There is no stigma attached to seeking to improve your mental health.”

“May I say something?” asked Justin to Craig, but before he could answer, Thomas said “Yes Justin, please tell me what you think. After all, Jared is your brother, you must be missing him as well.”

“It’s just that the way I see it, you wouldn’t hesitate to go to a doctor if you feel physically unwell or injured, so why should you not also accept help when your thoughts are.... a bit wobbly.”

“I like that.” replied Thomas “Maybe my thoughts are a bit wobbly sometimes. Thanks Justin.”

A chuffed Justin said “You’re welcome, mate.”

Thomas was quiet for a few moments and then asked, “Hey can you guys do me a favour? I want you to tell Andy, I apologise if I said anything to hurt him when he was here earlier. I will take his advice and go get some help. Fuck! That doesn’t sound like me, but it sounds good to say it. Just tell him I now know I’m having wobbly thoughts.”

Justin smiled, but said nothing.

***

When Andy arrived home he rang Virginia to update her about Thomas’s condition. When he explained the options of public or private care, she said “Andy listen to me carefully. Thomas has been a loyal employee and friend to me and my family for many years. If he needs care, no matter what it costs, he will have it. Do you understand me Andy?”

“I think so Virginia.”

“Good, I could try to call Smidmore about it, but the phone service here is getting worse every day, so this is what I want you to do. Call Smidmore and tell him, I want to pay the costs of Thomas’s care for as long as it takes. Get him to arrange the funding guarantee, or whatever it takes. Now, further, I want you to make whatever arrangements are necessary with the doctors and hospital for Thomas and be assured the costs will be covered. Is all that clear Andy?”

“Very clear Virginia, and I want to thank you on Thomas’s behalf. That is an enormous relief.”

“Good, now you know what you have to do.”

“Before I go, how are things there?”

“Much the same as when we last spoke. We are still trapped, but able to stay in the house for now. Although I did hear this morning, the fire will not give up and is creeping closer to the town every day. They say, unless there is a favourable change in the weather then the fire may reach us by New Year’s.”

“I’m sorry to hear that. Please stay safe Virginia and give my regards to Desmond.”

***

Tristan decided to abandon the idea of the water ballet part of his dance project and just go with the stage version. When he discussed this with Edward it was decided to replace the twins during their recovery and continue with the premiere performance at Divas, New Years Eve party.

***

Two days later, Thomas was admitted to The Sydney Clinic private mental hospital as an in-patient. Andy drove him there and spent a few hours while he was checked in, assigned to his room and toured the facility to familiarise him with the layout and available services. The staff encouraged Andy to stay for lunch, as a way of helping Thomas settle in.

“Andy, I know I agreed to come here voluntarily, on your recommendation, but now I’m here I’m not really sure.”

Andy felt this should all have been explained to Thomas by his doctor, but given that Thomas said he was there because of his recommendation, he felt he owed Thomas some sort of answer.

“So you can get well and feel happy again.”

“It’s true, I’m not happy, but that’s just because I miss Jared.”

“I know mate, and that’s what they will help you with here. You do accept that Jared has passed on, don’t you?”

“Some days it seems like that, and other days I know he’s with me and wants me to join him in his activities.”

“Well, I’m sure that’s what they will help you to understand about Jared. I’m not an expert in this so I don’t want to confuse you about it all, I’ll leave that to the professionals. They’re very good here and I’m sure you’ll be back with....that is you’ll be up and about soon.”

“You will come and visit me?”

“Of course, as often as they allow.”

“Why do you say that, can’t you come every day?”

“I’m not sure, there may be times when they want you to concentrate on your therapy exercises and treatment, so I’ll come when I can.”

“I think I understand.”

“That’s good.”

“But Jared will be here with me all the time, so I’ll have him let you know when you can come.”

“Yes well.....now let’s tuck into this lunch, looks delicious.”

<>

“This place seems pretty fancy, are you sure I can afford this?”

“I have good news for you on that matter.”

“You mean it’s covered by public health?”

“Not this place, there are waiting lists for the public facilities, so rather than wait we got you into this private hospital and if there is any shortfall from your health insurance coverage, it will be paid by Mrs P.”

“Virginia’s paying for this, why?”

“She loves you, and wants you to have the best available care. Is that surprising? You always said she referred to you as the son she didn’t have.”

“That’s very generous of her, will she be coming to see me?”

“She can’t because her and Desmond went to Mallacoota for Christmas and a nearby bushfire has blocked the road out of town, so she can’t leave at present.”

“Fuck me, will she be ok, is she safe?”

“I spoke to her yesterday and she is nervous about the situation but safe for now. Apparently their house is near the lake.”

“Well, thank her for me please and wish her well.”

“I’ve already done that on your behalf, but will tell her again, directly from you.”

***

In France Lachlan and Jonathan continued to monitor news about the devastating fires across Australia. When they had their neighbours Anders and Henri over for dinner, they too asked about the situation.

“You must have a lot of fire fighters to deal with all these fires at the same time and that must be a huge expense for your government to pay all these people.” suggested Anders.

“Oh they’re not paid, most of them are volunteers.” replied Jonathan.
“Volunteers, isn’t that a bit risky having untrained people doing such dangerous work?”

“They’re not untrained at all. Each state has their own rural fire service managed and resourced by the state government, but apart from permanent administration and training staff the rest are volunteers that must attend regular training in their own time and are called in, again on their own time, to fight fires as required.”

Lachlan then added “My brother, his son and his daughter are all fire fighters and his wife does support work for their local brigade. They attend regular training sessions every Wednesday night and specialist training on other occasions.”

“I had no idea people were so,... what is the word in English...altruistic?”

“Yes, it’s amazing how people, mostly in small rural communities support each other. They work their regular jobs, run their households, raise their families and still find time to do such important and dangerous community service.”

“And you say they don’t get paid at all?”

“Not by the government. There is an understanding that if they are volunteer fire fighters then their employer must give them time off when they are required. However the employer is not

obliged to pay them for time off. Some large employers do voluntarily pay for short periods, but small businesses can’t afford that and sole traders or self-employed can’t earn money if they don’t work.”

“That must put a strain on families.”

“It sure does, and most cope for short periods, but this year some of the fires have burned for months and need to be constantly attended to. That is placing unprecedented strain on volunteers. So much so, that the volunteer brigades are putting pressure on their governments to make some support payments during long periods away from their work. ”

“Well, they certainly deserve it.” concluded Henri. “And do I understand this correctly? The admin people who sit in a safe office, get paid, but those risking their lives at the fire, don’t get paid.”

“That’s pretty much how it works.”

***

In Mallacoota, conditions continued to worsen, the smoke was relentless and breathing was difficult even for the healthy. With the smoke grounding all aircraft, the town was now completely cut off except for water access. Attention then turned to bringing in supplies by boat, but this method was relatively slow compared to air access.

<>

In a desperate attempt to keep smoke out of the house, as well as keeping all doors and windows closed, Virginia started putting wet towels at the bottom of external doors and Desmond taped over edges of doors and windows. They had sufficient food supplies, so as long as the water stayed on they felt confident they could survive in their home until the fire came too close. Virginia filled every large container she could find, with water for drinking and they stopped showering when requested by authorities to save water only for essential use. Camp bathing was a completely foreign concept to Virginia, but she adapted to just washing with a bucket and flannel cloth.

Desmond was so proud of her ability to accept the circumstances and adapt accordingly. The woman that once relied on servants for all her needs, including sex, was now hunkered down and dealing with the real-life emergency she found thrust upon her.

“Des, do you think this smoke will ever stop?”

“I don’t wish to state the bleeedin’ bloody obvious, but it won’t stop until the fire is extinguished or burns itself out. So in the short term Virginia, no. We just have to grin and bear it. I must say, I’m very impressed with how you are coping.”

“Thank you Des, but what you see is all bravado. Inside I’m a complete shivering mess. It’s not just the smoke and such, it’s the unknown. Not knowing how long we will have electricity or water and when the fire will reach us. I’m not used to dealing with what ifs and whens. I don’t know how much longer I can manage. Oh Des, please hold me tight and I will feel safer in your arms.”

Desmond obliged and the scared couple maintained their embrace until the radio crackled to life again.

On ABC Gippsland, the fire controller said “We’re trying to get people inside the hall, out of the embers. We’ve got people on the roof with hoses. With up to 3000 people still in the town, the relief centre has only just sourced a fridge and most people are eating cold Foodbank donations brought in by sea. The smoke has grounded helicopters being used to airlift people.”

Sarah Beer, who has children aged one and three phoned in to say “The sky has turned black and our caravan on the foreshore is being soaked with water as a precaution.

Another caller reported "It’s pitch black outside now so I am a little bit scared we are getting another attack coming through, Both of my children have shown respiratory issues because of four days of constant smoke. We need to get out of the smoke but there are no planes or choppers going anywhere. We are still stuck. Mallacoota is now shrouded in a burgundy darkness.”

“Des, I don’t think I want to listen to any more of that, it make me feel more scared and those poor people who have already had to leave their homes must be devastated.”

“I understand Virginia, but the radio is our only source of reliable information for now.”

“I’m sorry Desmond, I know you’re doing your best to keep up to date. You continue to listen, I’ll just go and lie down for a bit.”

“Do you want a cuppa, I can bring it to you?”

“Thanks, that would be lovely.”

Next Chapter - New Year by the lake. What could be better?
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 3
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I am glad Virginia is paying for the needed treatment of Thomas.  Her caring is likely to make the difference on his recovery.  

I am also pleased with Virginia's coping with the confinement due to the fires.  

In the area of the United States where I live, most of the firefighters are volunteers.  The town I live closest to has 16 full-time paid firefighters, and the city is trying to come up with the money to hire more.  The Fire District I live in has four paid staff and relies on volunteers or mutual aid for the rest.  They also have a couple of stations where two volunteers get to live for free, except for their food and personal use items.  When the closest town got a paid firefighting staff the insurance rates went way down for residents of the town.  In the town with the paid fire fighting staff, the volunteers who assist get $25 per fire stipend for helping.  The ambulance people are paid by the county, thanks to a sales tax passes many years ago.  This has helped greatly on ambulance response time and lifesaving.

Justin was being extremely obtuse on the follow-up care that Thomas needs, and especially on guarding his speech so as not to upset Thomas further.  However, I have found that attitude all too common in other people's dealings dealing with my own close female relative.  Some people cannot understand that because THEY think they would act a certain way, others will not feel the same.  Also -- some persons have the wrong idea that the person suffering mentally is faking it.  With very few exceptions, they are NOT faking it, and need time, care, and sometimes medication for improvement, and hopefully, recovery.  Though, it must be admitted, sometimes recovery is not as complete as those around the person might wish.

@Wombat Bill, I must compliment you on how sensitive you are being in writing this story.  It is somewhat cathartic to me to read a sensitive story like this as opposed to some stories I have read.

You are doing well regarding the bushfires and the fallout from them.  Your descriptions ring true with the reality of what I have read in news and personal reports on the fires.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I'm pleased Thomas is getting the help he deserves. It's great that Virginia is covering costs.

It's amazing the change in Virginia, she's become so domesticated.

 

Edited by chris191070
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Great to see Thomas is not only getting the help he needs but that at times he’s aware Jared is dead as that makes me more hopeful as to how well the therapy could go. Glad to see Desmond & Virginia are doing ok yet the hint at the next chapter doesn’t sound too positive. I mean New Year by the lake. What could be better? makes me assume the fire is going to drive them to/into the lake. Hopefully this is a red herring, though I suppose a New Year’s swim isn’t the worst outcome.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

For Thomas' mental health problems, for Virginia's care and compassion for him and for the loss of so much life from the bushfires 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭.

In recognition of @Wombat Bill's writing in this chapter and the heartfelt comments of my fellow CWB groupies, @ReaderPaul, @chris191070 and @NimirRaj

  Its Beautiful Reaction GIF

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I am reading this on December 16 - it has now become known as "Abscondment Day" the anniversary of the time when our P.M. left for Hawaii - leaving us to face the Fire Threat on our own!

You have recorded pretty accurately the events surrounding that time. It becomes obvious that you guys lived through most of it. In the whole story you write about relevant things - from the early gay Scene in Sydney - occasional  snippets about our South East Asian friends etc. & the Fires! The latter have become known as the worst Bushfire Season in History & that's  saying something.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..