Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 3,450 Words
  • 1,338 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sexual content

Catering With Benefits (3) - An Appetite for More - 18. The Campaign Starts

The following day Jared and Thomas went to work at Crystalline. Thomas worked in his office, on ideas for the campaign, while Jared busied himself in the gym, cleaning equipment and working out.

Jonathan Price called his secretary and asked “Prism, please get Thomas Steadman on the phone.”

“Yes Sir, right away.”

When Thomas came on the line, “I want you to come into the office now and bring Jared with you we have business to discuss. It’s time we got this election campaign started.”

“No problem Jonathan, we should be there in about an hour.”

“Good, I’ll have lunch served in my office and we can start work over lunch.”

<>

Thomas went over to the gym.

“Hi” said Jared, “Going to join me in a workout?”

“No time.”

“You always use that excuse.”

“No, really. Get that cute butt of yours into some office clobber, we’ve been summoned to a meeting with Jonathan, in the city.”

“Is there a problem?”

“No, he wants to start working on strategy for his election campaign.”

“Had to happen sooner or later. We’ve had it all too easy the last month.”

“While you shower, I‘ll get some paperwork and my laptop and meet you in the garage.”

Thomas went down to the garage and asked Desmond “Have we got a spare vehicle I can use to drive into town for a meeting with Mr P?”

“Sure, you can take the 4x4 or I can check with Virginia if she needs the BMW today.”

“No, the big butch set of wheels will do thanks.”

While waiting for Jared, Thomas asked Desmond “How was the trip south, I heard Mrs P enjoyed the shopping?”

“Yes, one of her talents, she really knows how to shop at all those high end boutiques in Melbourne.”

“I was referring to something a little more domestic.”

“Oh that, it did come as a surprise to her that you have to pick and carry your own groceries at a supermarket. I think she enjoyed it in the end.”

“And at the other end of the scale, I hear there was a very big purchase.”

“Thomas, if you know all this already, what are you after, gossip?”

“You know I don’t gossip.”

“Maybe you don’t spread it but you certainly like to collect it.”

“Just looking after Mrs P’s interests.”

“But you don’t work for her any longer, isn’t that so?”

“Yes, but I still look out for her.”

“Good on you, here’s Jared now. The keys are in the car, safe trip.”

<>

Thomas had reminded Desmond of the purchase of the holiday house in Mallacoota, so he went to see Virginia and ask about the progress.

“I had a call from Smidmore yesterday in fact. He said it will all be settled soon and he will let me know when the keys are available.”

“That means Mr Price was happy to let you have the house.”

“I wouldn’t say happy about the purchase, but he was satisfied with our deal.”

“Deal?”

“Yes, that’s how we operate now. I get something, he gets something.”

“And what did he get?”

“I will appear to be the loyal wife when he attends official functions that require a woman on his arm. But I got the better part of the deal.”

“The house is a big item.”

“Oh there’s more than the house, I get you as well.”

“I’m not sure I like being part of a deal, like a commodity to be traded.”

“Stop it! You know I don’t mean that. The house is all about us, a place that can be for just us, to use as and when we please.”

“Well, if you put it that way, I suppose I see what you mean.”

“Desmond, tell me the truth. Do you think I treat you as a commodity?”

“Before I answer that, let me remind you that over the past twenty years or so, you have hired your lovers as you would hire other casual staff. Now after all these years you come back to me. Why?”

“I am shocked that you asked me that, but I will answer. Firstly, remember it was you that ended our relationship all those years ago because I wouldn’t leave Jonathan for you. That left me with the other option, as you say, to hire my lovers. I won’t say I didn’t enjoy their attentions, but it was not my first choice. And the fact that you never left here tells me that you felt the same. Now after all this time and the passing parade of bed partners I have found a way that we can be together again. I feel slighted Desmond that you would ask that question, however I will answer you and that is NO you are not a commodity to me. You are the only man that I have ever truly loved. Is that clear enough for you?”

“Thank you Virginia, that means the world to me, but I had to be sure about it and for the record. You are the only woman I have ever loved and have continued to love you, even while watching you take those young rent boys, I think that’s the current term they use, to your bed. But the one thing that never faltered was my love for you Virginia.”

“I should take offence at that rent boy remark, but I won’t as I do not want anything to spoil this moment of your declaration of love.”

“Thank you. In that case we should have a little celebration. You place or mine Virginia?”

“You are a naughty boy Desmond.... yours, I feel adventurous.”

***

Prism ushered Thomas and Jared into Price’s office then brought in the lunch.

“Thank you for coming so promptly Gentlemen. I thought it was time we got this show on the road. While we discuss how we kick off my campaign, please help yourself to lunch. There will be no alcohol today or at future such meetings. Prism will bring juice and coffee shortly.”

“Understood Jonathan.”

“Good, now what ideas have you put together Thomas?”

“I thought we would run the campaign in three stages. Firstly we need to get you known around the electorate, then you go public with your policies and finally the actual election campaign itself, once an election date is announce by the government.”

“How do we start, I’m not going to walk the streets getting to know people.”

“Of course not. I have planned that also in stages. Firstly I have identified the demographics of the area and a different approach to reaching out to each of them.”

“Go on.”

“As I see it, we have the young and forward thinking, some of whom may be voting for the first time. I think social media is the best way to make contact with them. Then we have the older retirees, most of whom are interested in what the government can do for them right now. The third group is the largest and most varied, the huge group in between the two other groups. It’s difficult finding a common thread so we may have to be flexible in how we reach out to them. Finally we have a special group that covers all ages and all levels of the socioeconomic spectrum.”

“And who is this special group?”

“Generally referred to as the gay community. Although they are a varied group also, but have common concerns of marginalisation and discrimination. This electorate has the highest percentage of GLBTI etc voters. So our task is to find the most effective way to reach each member of each voter group.”

The meeting went on for an hour discussing Thomas’ plans, but none of it included Jared. Finally he stood up and started to clear the remains of their lunch.

“There’s no need for you to do that Jared, Prism will take care of it.”

“I don’t have anything else to do Jonathan.”

“Ah, I’m glad you reminded me of that. Thomas if you don’t mind we’ll pause discussion of your plans, while I explain my plans for Jared.”

“Sure, I’m interested also.”

“Jared, I know I asked you to be my body guard, and that is still my longer term plan, but in the meantime I have other duties you can perform for me.”

Thomas interrupted “Would you like me to step out Jonathan?”

“No, why would I want that?”

“I thought the discussion might be a bit personal.”

“I don’t follow you, but it doesn’t matter. Jared, I will assign you as my personal driver for now.”

“You are a good driver aren’t you?”

“I’ve had advanced driver training up to a Bushmaster Protected Mobility Vehicle.”

“I’m not sure what that is, but sounds impressive.”

“I’ve even driven an M1 Abrams tank, though not officially.”

“Good, that will mean you can be with me wherever I go so you learn about my habits and needs and be familiar with my style so you will be able to sense if anything is out of the ordinary. Do you get my meaning, from a protection point of view?”

“Yes Jonathan, and if anything seems different then I can act accordingly to protect you.”

“Exactly, good man. Now that’s settled, what else have you got for me Thomas?”

“I have some ideas for fund raising if you’d like to hear about them now.”

“Fund raising for what?”

“To finance your campaign, all political parties do it.”

“But I’m not all political parties, I am a one-man band who is fortunate enough to be able to finance his own campaign.”

“That’s very generous of you Jonathan.”

“Not at all, it’s my ambition to do this, why should I expect others to finance it.”

“In that case, we may be able to turn my fundraising ideas into something even better. We could still have the functions, make some money and donate it to local charities, no strings attached, except the publicity it will generate. Something like, local candidate supports local charity by handing over cheque for an additional phone counsellor on the children’s helpline.”

“I knew I’d picked the right man for this job. What do we do first?”

“I had planned a fund raiser, and even though we have changed that purpose, I still think we do that first. It will be an opportunity for people to get to know you and hopefully raise enough for you to make a public appearance presenting the proceeds.”

“I’m fine with that, but I’ll leave the details to you. I couldn’t think of anyone more experienced at staging functions. Just let me know when and where you need my presence. Also, you should have a role for my wife at some of these events. You know what I mean, supportive wife and all that sort of thing the public expects.”

“I’m glad you mentioned that as there is an elephant in the room.”

“Yes, go on.”

“Not to put too fine a point on it, but how do you want me to handle the matter of your marital arrangements?”

“You’re the ideas man and my wife’s former relationship manager. You tell me.”

“I believe it should not be mentioned or even hinted at in any way.”

“What if I get a direct question?”

“Deny it emphatically. That’s the political way. Furthermore, if anyone from your or Mrs P’s past comes forward, we find a way to deal with them.”

“As far as my wife’s partners are concerned, we have Jared on board and the one before him has left the country. As for mine, there’s that Asian kid, who found his own way in and the rest were professionals who have their own reputations to guard. Then of course there’s Andy, but he’s still on our team. So as I see it the weak link may be the Asian kid.”

“I can manage that. I know him and he works for friends of mine. In fact he now works for the caterers that have done some of Mrs P’s parties in the past and will be doing our functions.”

“Is that the company with the naked waiter?”

“Yes.”

“Good, that’ll be fun.”

“As may be, but a slip of the tongue like that, outside of this office could be disastrous for your campaign.”

“Right, I understand, thanks for reminding me.”

“Also, may I approach Mrs P for appropriate contacts to be invited to our fundraiser. Some of her friends can be very generous for the right cause.”

“Am I the right cause?”

“Not necessarily, but your charities may be.”

“Good thinking, yes of course approach her. I know you two love working together so that could work well for us.”

“Thank you Jonathan, I’ll get right on to that.”

“Anything else, Thomas?”

“Yes, I’d like to set up a gay liaison group to work on courting the gay community through the various groups and gay media.”

“Do you have anybody in mind for this group?”

“Yes, I do. There are two elderly gentlemen I met last year who both volunteer at the radio station. Max and Charles are a delightful couple and I’m sure we could get them on side. Also I’d like to include Andy from your design department.”

“That’s excellent, so if Andy needs time off work here then that will be fine.”

“Thank you Jonathan. The core working group of those three plus me as chair should be a good start and we can recruit others as specific expertise needs arise.”

“Very good, thanks gentlemen, if that’s all for now, I still have a diamond dynasty to run.”

“And what should I do now Jonathan, when do I start as your driver?”

“Yes, that.” Price thought for a while then called his secretary. “Prism, would you have my driver come up please. Ask him to wait in the meeting room, Mr Haynes will need to speak to him and ask Watson from human resources to come and see me.”

“Very good Sir.”

Jared just stared at Price in a questioningly way.

“I suppose you’re wondering what that was all about. Simple really, your first job as my bodyguard will be to advise Johnson that he will be transferred to other duties for the company. Watson will find something for him to do.”

“But...you mean I have to fire my predecessor?”

“No, he won’t be fired just transferred within the company. He’s not a very ambitious man and certainly doesn’t have the qualifications you have. Just be direct and honest with him.”

“Should I tell him I’m replacing him?”

“There’s not much point in hiding it, he’ll find out by tomorrow.”

“Oh well, straight into the deep end.”

“That’s the spirit.”

<>

As Thomas and Jared left Price’s office, Watson from human resources arrived and was ushered in to see Price. Thomas introduced Jared to Prism and left Jared to meet with Johnson, the driver he was replacing.

“Pleased to meet you Jared, I’ve heard so much about you.” said Prism “I believe you have a meeting with Bernard Johnson.”

“Yes, where should we have this meeting?”

“He’s already waiting for you in the meeting room, next door.”

“Thank you.”

Jared approached the door of the meeting room, stopped, took a few deep breaths, then confidently opened the door and strode in.

“Good afternoon Bernard, I’m Jared Haynes.”

“Yes, I’ve heard of you, I believe you work for Mrs Price so not sure why we are meeting.”

“I used to work for Mrs Price, but now I work for Mr. Price.”

“Versatile, aren’t you?”

“I’m sorry?”

“Never mind, now what’s this meeting about?”

“Mr Price has asked me to inform you.........”

***

Thomas drove the Prices’ car back to Crystalline and worked in his office until Jared drove Price home in the early evening.

“How was it driving Jonathan around?”

“A bit nerve wracking.”

“But you’re used to driving around the city as well elsewhere?”

“Yeah, but not in a Rolls Royce. It’s the worst drive I’ve ever experienced.”

“Worse than driving a Bushmaster?”

“Dings, spinouts and rollovers are all part of the experience of driving a Bushmaster, they’re built for that type of punishment. I don’t think Jonathan would appreciate even the slightest scratch on his beloved Roller.”

“Fair enough, but you’ll get used to it. You’ve raised an interesting point there. I don’t think it would go down well with the voters he’s trying to attract if he turns up to functions in a Royal runabout. We’ll have to get him a somewhat more modest set of wheels.”

“What about the 4x4 you drove today. Everybody’s driving them now.”

“That will be perfect. We’re going to be a good team, I’m sure of it.”

“What have you been doing since you got back?”

“Mostly talking to Craig. I’ve set up a meeting for next week to organise some functions.”

“Can we go home now, I’m starved. That working lunch hardly touched the sides. He didn’t even offer dessert.”

“Poor diddums, I forgot you need copious quantities of protein and calories to maintain that body of yours.”

<>

On the drive home, Thomas remembered he hadn’t asked Jared about his meeting with Bernard. “How did he take it?”

“I’m really not sure, he didn’t say much, just, thank you for letting me know.”

“He is generally a quiet sort of person and doesn’t reveal much. That’s a requirement for a good chauffeur, to be seen and not heard.”

“Maybe, but there was still something about his demeanour that made me think there was more happening in his head than he was prepared to reveal. I mean why thank me for telling him he’s lost his job”

“It would have come as a shock to him and the thank you was just a polite reaction. He’s not used to speaking out, so he’ll deal with it in his own time.”

“I hope he doesn’t have any bad feelings towards me. I was just doing as instructed.”

***

“How about you get dinner ready and I’ll give all these old clothes a wash before I take them to the charity store?” suggested Thomas.

“No problem, and while they’re washing you can open the beers.”

The ever meticulous Thomas went through all the pockets before placing each item in the washer. He was aware from the past that Jared sometimes left tissues in his pockets, the results of which meant the clothes required a re-wash once most of the paper fluff was removed. This time he collected four dollars and fifty five cents in change, two screws from he knew not where, a ball point pen, one business card and an unused condom, but no tissues.

When Thomas returned from the laundry he opened two bottles of beer; one Carlton draught and a James Squire one fifty lashes for Jared. He then placed the loot he collected from the pockets, on the kitchen bench, save one item which he wanted to think about.

“What are you cooking?”

“Steak, thick and juicy.”

“Just the way you like your men.”

“Is that how you describe yourself?”

“I wasn’t thinking of me.”

“Who then?”

“Nathan maybe.”

“Who’s Nathan?”

“This is Nathan.” replied Thomas as he put a business card on the bench. It just read, Nathan - Fulfilling Your Desires.

“Oh him, we met him in the pub that night we got drunk after the funeral.”

“And?”

“And nothing.”

“So how come you have his business card?”

“He left it on the table and I must have automatically picked it up.”

“Are you sure that’s all you picked up?”

“What are you saying?”

“I’m asking, did you engage the services of this guy?”

“Do you really think I would pay for sex? That’s a very demeaning suggestion.”

“Because you wouldn’t stray.”

“Well, that too, but to suggest I would have to pay for sex is quite insulting. Remember I was the one who used to get paid for sex.”

“So this is an ego thing.”

“I would call it pride.”

“Then tell me about Nathan and why you have his card.”

“It was very funny really, he thought Justin and I were rent boys doing a double act.”

Jared explained about Nathan, mostly true, minus a few facts.

“That still doesn’t explain why you had his card in your pocket.”

“I told you I must have put it in there unconsciously and you must see it wasn’t of any importance to me if I left it in the pants I gave away.”

“I suppose so.”

“Good, now I’m going to get these steaks on, so don’t go far, they’ll only take four minutes.”

“Four minutes, will they have stopped mooing by then?”

Next Chapter - Doubts - Divas - Drugs and Dare to Bare.
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Jonathan has chosen well for his campaign manager. Thomas is smart, astute and pragmatic, just what Jonathan needs to perform this role well. Thomas' idea to donate the proceeds of fund raising events may not have been his initial intent, but he readily made the suggestion when Jonathan indicated he would finance his own campaign. One could be cynical and state Thomas only did it because it will be good publicity for Jonathan, which Thomas does acknowledge, however, I believe Thomas is magnanimous by nature.

I particularly like Thomas' idea of forming a committee to court the gay community and including Max and Charles on said committee. His reference to them as elderly gentlemen and a delightful couple "warmed my cockles". I look forward to their return appearance and hope they will not be limited to cameos. 

I also look forward to what our resident detective @ReaderPaul makes of the behaviour of Bernard Johnson. As Jonathan's former driver he may have much "dirt he can dish" on Jonathan. I seem to recall Jonathan has on occasion liked a little beverage or twenty; perhaps he has behaved indiscreetly when drunk with a rent boy or two in the back seat of the Rolls. Remember the old age "its the quiet ones you have to watch".

Thomas again shows he is no fool. I believe he is awake to Jared and his antics. Thomas may play along for a while, but I sense Jared's lustre may wear off. We shall have to wait for our beloved author to reveal what he has up his sleeve. 

Another well written and enjoyable chapter @Wombat Bill, even if it is rather sedate by "Wombatian" standards.   Given the teaser at the end of the chapter, this one could well be the "calm before the storm" though.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I don’t think Jonathan nor Thomas are thinking clearly depending on their catering plans. I know he’s running as an independent rather than say a conservative but his comment about the “catering” being fun likely implies Jonathan is expecting the more risqué version, which while obviously not illegal could potentially hurt the image of an upcoming politician. Hopefully Thomas will rain on his parade and have a more typical catering experience planned. Thomas’ plans are smart and Jonathan funding his own campaign may help reduce the chances of it hurting his campaign considering he’s not focused on fundraising yet I see his marriage arrangement coming to light eventually as political candidates tend to be highly scrutinized. The world may be more accepting but even if the public doesn’t care he’s gay they may not be receptive to his marriage of convenience nor him paying for sex. Bernard’s reaction of thanking Jared could either be because he’s tired of seeing & dealing with Jonathan’s secrets, like his various partners, or it could be Bernard was expected to have sex with Jonathan as part of his unofficial duties so he may be glad that seems to be over. All we know for sure is that there’s definitely unspoken drama and Jared may eventually regret his new position depending on what type of drama it is.

Thomas’ plans to exit the room when the new job was offered to Jared remarking his reasons being he thought it might be “personal” likely indicates he once again was anticipating it to be sexual. Thomas is skilled at concealing his emotions yet his reaction to the...um business card he found likely means he wouldn’t be thrilled at the idea of Jared working for Jonathan in a “personal capacity.” Jared definitely left out some major details but he was technically telling the truth about nothing happening between Nathan & him, though I suspect it had a high probability of happening if the guy was ok with freebies. I’d also be suspicious about why he’s carrying around an unused condom since I’m sure they’re well stocked up at home yet I suppose since he was just recently having sex with Virginia on a regular basis that Thomas wouldn’t find him carrying around protection too strange. Jared is very good at acting as if nothing has changed so I don’t see Thomas catching on anytime soon.

Edited by NimirRaj
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Thomas has a very unusual qualification as a campaign manager.  The qualification is: He has never been in politics before, so he will take nothing for granted.  Related to that, he will probably not be inclined to take things at surface value, but will look below the surface on almost everything.  

Mr. P and Jared need to pay attention to Bernard Johnson.  As @Summerabbacat mentioned, Bernard probably knows more than he is saying, and, the fact that is normally very possessed of a closed mouth means, that if he is not happy with his new position that Watson assigns him, Bernard could be a proverbial explosive element in the future.  On the other hand, if Bernard has felt abused or insulted or demeaned or feels taken for granted by Mr. P, he may be relieved to no longer be the driver.  This could go in several possible directions.  I predict that @Wombat Bill will inform us when it is time for us to learn more on that subject.

Thomas is no fool.  Jared -- and Justin -- will be carefully watched by Thomas for some time.  I would predict that Thomas will quietly enlist Craig to unobtrusively watch Justin -- and Jared -- to learn more of what is going on.  Perhaps Edward's skills of observation might be useful in addition to the people already mentioned.  Thomas could also well think about asking around to see if someone knows more about Nathan.  @NimirRaj might have other thoughts of interest.

Edit: While I was getting ready to post, @NimirRaj posted his comments.  Excellent observation about Jared, Mrs. P, and the condom.  I had not thought of that angle.  However, I would have expected that some condoms would be discretely be located in Virginia's room, for convenience.

 

Edited by ReaderPaul
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I was torn between giving you all a love or a wow. Why wow, because there are some clever predictions among your comments. I settled on a love because I love the way you all present your well reasoned arguments. 

Just one clarification @NimirRaj, the contents of the pockets were from all the clothes that were being washed, not just Jared's.

Oh dear @Summerabbacat, even I hadn't thought of Jonathan doing it with a rent boy in the back of the Roller. So that's one prediction you can rule out. But what a delicious idea. 

@ReaderPaul, your predictions scare me. 

My replies are minimal because if I say more I might say too much.  :gikkle: 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..