Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 530 Words
  • 1,090 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sexual content

Catering With Benefits (3) - An Appetite for More - 59. Epilogue

p style="text-align:center;"> 229851192_350103610033891_60887770037298

On 30 March, Sydney and the rest of NSW went into lockdown. All entertainment and hospitality venues had to close and restaurants could only serve take-away on a non contact basis. Personal services businesses also had to close.

Romel was the only one of the group whose workload increased.

Nurses were in high demand, so Craig worked some casual nursing shifts.

Charlie amended Poppy’s menu for take-away service. Snowy assisted and Justin handled orders and non-contact service.

Juanito continued his study online and worked reduced hours at Poppy’s.

Edward finally started writing and found a great site to publish online.

Brett, Jeremy and Rani went onto government social security.

Tristan also went onto social security but filled his time by making online videos of dancing lessons.

Andy worked from home making moderately priced jewellery. Dean assisted and set up an online store to sell the jewellery.

Raj worked in his parents’ restaurant doing take-away.

When the international border was closed, Daniel was stood down by Qantas, but he and some of his colleagues found work with the NSW Health, contact tracing team. Their training, discipline and their ability to deal with the public and remain cool in stressful situations made them ideal candidates.

Jonathan and Lachlan lived a comfortable lifestyle at Crystalline.

Just before lockdown, Desmond retrieved the car from Mallacoota and gave a local charity, instructions for letting the house, free to a deserving family.

Virginia ran the apartment at Potts Point without outside help and started volunteer work at a free meal charity. The demand for their services grew as more people became unemployed due to the lockdown.

Thomas moved in to Crystalline and paid his way by working around the property.

Bernard remained in France, but died from the disease in April 2020.

Max and Charles moved to their country property and wrote about their earlier life when they ran the local store, cafe and post office in the nearby village.

Alfred Prentice, the owner of the building that housed Poppy’s, Dean’s and Divas, was admitted to hospital with the disease. The day before he was admitted to ICU he said to his wife “You know, I closed that filthy Chinese restaurant and reported the other lot for drug dealing and now I think their Chinese curse is going to get revenge on me.” He may have been right; after two weeks in ICU he succumbed.

When Prentice’s wife put the building on the market, Craig contacted Jonathan, who was happy to make the investment and become their new landlord.

The float of Prices Prestige Jewellery went very well despite the pandemic and lockdown. Incredibly low interest rates on cash deposits caused many people to move their savings to the stock market.

As the final act in his grieving process, Thomas sought and received permission from Jared’s parents to add a plaque of his own to Jared’s memorial at the cemetery. As he was leaving the cemetery Jared spoke to him for the last time. “Thank you Thomas, now move forward in your life and find someone who will love you as much as I do. I will watch over both of you, in silence.”

You can read a, generally light-hearted story, about the pandemic in The Covids on this site.
Copyright © 2021 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, ReaderPaul said:

You wrapped up just about everyone except Rani.

Brett, Jeremy and Rani went onto government social security.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Awesome wrap up to what has been a fantastic story full of happy and sad times from characters that we've come to love.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Sad to hear about Bernard & Mr Prentice as well as how Brett, Jeremy, Rani, and Tristan had to go on social security due to how the pandemic impacted their work. Nice to hear about Virginia’s charity work and especially uplifting to hear how Thomas clearly got the help he needed to help him work through his grief. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment

A BIG thank you for your continued support over the past year, you really have made all the crafting worthwhile with your comments. 

I too am a little sad to see a temporary end to the lives of our friends. But they will return sometime with new adventures. In the meantime any suggestions are welcome, except writing about the pandemic. 

Give yourselves a big round of applause. 

Well Done Applause GIF by MOODMAN

From the sleepy wombat.

 

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Amidst the bleak, Virginia's kindness stood out. She has certainly evolved tremendously in this book.

Thank you @Wombat Bill for this spectacular, life-affirming story; and my fellow CWB groupies @ReaderPaul, @chris191070and @NimirRajfor your entertaining and at times, thought provoking comments. You have all been of great comfort to me in the past three months, the "lowest" period in my life to date.

 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..