Prompt #231 - Word List

Your Majesty

“Your Majesty, you look mighty nice tonight,” Andrew said, as he watched Joann enter from the left side of the stage.

“Oh, you’re too kind,” she replied ever so eloquently, walking towards Andrew as if she were the queen of England, and waving as any dignitary would have. Though something caught Andrew’s eye, it was out of place, and highly out of the ordinary for this production.

Upon her hands, which normally had a set of silk woven gloves, rested a pair of leather gloves that appeared to be from another play called “The horse riders journey.”

Andrew couldn’t stay in character, and a loud resounding laugh escaped his lips. Had this not been a dress rehearsal, Andrew was sure he would’ve lost all his acting credibility.

Joann gave Andrew a confused look, and looked out into the audience where KC, the director, was sitting. “What’s wrong with him KC? He’s totally lost it I say.” She shrugged her shoulders.

KC stood up and pointed towards the stage. “Hey Andrew what the hell is wrong with you now?”

“Look at the gloves she’s wearing.” Andrew pointed. “Does that look like royalty to you?”

“Let me have a closer examination.”

KC approached the stage in his crisp suit wearing a silk tie with clowns all over it. “I see, I see,” KC lipped. “I see what you mean now. You’re definitely right.”

“So start from Act 36 then, boss?” Andrew quickly questioned.

“Indeed, but no laughing next time.”

Andrew nodded his head and went right stage and waited for Joann to leave to the left.

“ACTION!” KC screamed after sitting himself back down in the front row.

Andrew entered, walking like a lowly beggar, covered in black makeup meant to look like dirt.

“Your Majesty, you look mighty nice tonight,” Andrew recited his line again.

This time Joann was wearing the proper gloves, but again something was wrong. This time she was dragging a chain from her arms where a boa scarf once rested.

“Woe, is me, for I’m a peasant,” Joann called out.

Andrew lost himself again and began laughing.

KC stood up, approached the stage with a dog toy in his mouth and tried to talk. “What’s wrong now?” he said, but what Andrew thought he heard was, “Where’s the dog chow?”

“What? Okay, seriously what’s going on here?”

By now Joann and KC were laughing hysterically and when the laugher had finally subsided; KC jumped on stage and approached Andrew. Joann followed KC’s lead. “Well, we heard from a birdie that it was your birthday today. So, we figured we’d give you a little giggle and let you know that your husband says to hurry home because he’s got a bubble bath waiting for you,” KC explained, “And I’m sure there’s more to it than just that.”

“Who told you?”

“Do I seriously need to answer that?” Joann said disapprovingly.

“Right…  Understood. So I’m free to leave then?”

“Indeed you are. Be back here bright and early tomorrow morning,” KC explained.

“You got it boss.”

Edited by podiumdavis
  • Like 4

What Will the Neighbor's Think?

Cassie walked through the back door, throwing her leather gloves on the couch. "Dang it is hot out there. I hate working in the flower beds. No one can see the backyard anyway." she complained.

Walking to the fridge, Jo Ann got the two of them a beer and they sat down on the couch. "You can always take over for me and I will finish weeding the flower beds." she said as she gestured toward the pile of laundry on the table she was in the process of ironing.

Looking at the pile of clothes still be be ironed, Cassie replied. "Never mind. I need a tan anyway so I can wear my new sundress to Mark's pool party tomorrow. Has KC gotten up the nerve to ask him out yet? He drives me crazy the way he is always trying to peek through the boards in the fence to see if Mark is by the pool. I thought we were going to have to sedate him the day Mark was sunbathing nude and KC saw him.. He was so damn excited but totally embarassed." she laughed as she said it.

"Yeah, he was excited as hell because he saw Mark nude, but embarassed because we walked out and caught him sitting in his car relieving the pressure that the sight had caused." Jo Ann chimed in, laughing at the memory of KC"s face when he looked up and she and Cassie were standing right next to his car, his up and down motions making it obvious what he was doing.

"I am of a good mind to chain him to the fence the next time I catch him peeking through the cracks. It was pretty embarassing when Mr. Thornton, our other neighbor walked out last weekend, saw him and asked me who our perverted friend was" Cassie said as she fiddled with the dog toy that lay between them. "I would put up a fence on that side because of Mr. Thornton's nosiness, but I would be scared that he would think KC was trying to peek through at them." she finished with an amused sigh. Can't you figure something out?"

Jo Ann thought for a second and said. "You know, we have told Mark about KC's crush and even about the peeping. But the two times that we have had them over for dinner, KC will hardly say a word. I think I have just the solution though. Can you let the flower beds go until one evening next week?"

"Of course!",Cassie agreed almost too enthusiastically Jo Ann noticed.

"Help me get the clothes put away in the spare room along with the ironing board. We have dinner to fix and a plan to put in place." Jo Ann said hurriedly as she folded the ironing board and CAssie began gathering clothes.

Five minutes later, Cassie was on her way to the supermarket for steaks and fixings, and Jo Ann was over at Mark's house.

When Cassie got back, Mark and Jo Ann were already there, making margaritas and laughing as they talked about what was fixing to transpire. Jo Ann had talked Mark into walking out of the bedroom and surprising KC at dinner and making a pass at KC. They all just hoped it would not scare KC away.

Jo Ann called KC and told him as soon as he got home and got a shower to come over and eat a steak with her and Cassie. It was a little after six when they heard his jeep in the drive.

Mark glanced out the front window and began to laugh. "This is going to be too much fun girls. Plan has just changed. The element of surprise just got bigger."

Cassie and Jo Ann looked over his shoulder and fell back laughing at what they saw. KC was bent over trying to see through the crack in the fence. They watched curiosly as Mark removed the silk tie he was wearing and silently crept out the back door. The girls watched as Mark walked stealthily up behind KC and before KC knew what happened put the tie around his neck from behind and pulled him gently back against him.

The girls walked out on the porce unable to contain themselve. KC's face was so comical that they bent over in laughter and barely heard Mark when he said. "Something interesting through the crack of the fence?"

When KC tried to turn, Mark slid the tie from around his neck and waited for KC's reaction. "I um, I was just looking at uh.....I think I heard a dog barking, and I knew you did not have one." KC said desperately.

"You wouldn't lie would you? If you are not brave enough to admit your attraction fo me, how will I be brave enough to act on mine for you?" Mark asked softly but seriously.

KC was like a deer caught in headlights but Jo Ann and Cassie almost applauded at his response. "I like to look at you sun bathing by the pool. You are a very attrac...tive man." he finally said.

"Let's go have a margarita then and get to know one another." Mark said as he put his hand in the small of KC's back propelling him toward the house.

After dinner, the four of them sat outside and drank another pitcher of margaritas. Mark studied KC across from him on the patio and asked, "So, KC, what do you consider the most romantic way to end an evening?" Mark watched KC turn a little pink, but then get a determined look on his face.

"My favorite ending to a perfect evening is a bubble bath in candle light." he said softly, never taking his eyes off Mark.

"The candles I have, but I have no bubble bath." Mark said regrettably.

"What kind do you want?" Jo Ann and Cassie asked at the same time. "Vanilla or Lavender?'

"Let's make it interesting, and give us some of both. We may want to bathe more than once." KC surprised them all by saying.

After the two men left, Cassie and Jo Ann sat with their feet propped on the coffee table wondering what they could do to KC next. After all, life would be dull if they did not have their friend KC to liven it up. Of course they knew they would have something soon. After all, it was KC! :P

Edited by joann414
  • Like 4

Hmmm. Four suspects. I think I have an anthology story. :lol: Just promise not to damage me.

OMG, Joann, what kind of trouble have you gotten us into now?  :P

I am a slow writer and I like to think I normally do better than this, but here is a little vignette I wrote using this prompt.  I look forward to feedback and hopefully to do some more.  Eventually I would like to put up some other things I have written.  Thanks.

The teal silk tie was draped over a chair accompanied by the white shirt with the impossibly starched collar that felt like a band of iron.  The suit jacket and trousers were carelessly tossed across the bed along with his good leather gloves.  It was January and there was no way he was going outside for any amount of time without gloves, whether they matched his outfit or not.  His hands were always cold.

Cold hands, warm heart, Tom reminded himself as he let the hot water run over his fingers from the faucet into the tub.  As the suds reached the rim of the tub he shut off the water.  He carefully touched a toe through the cottony landscape he had created, only to quickly jerk it back when it encountered the scalding water beneath.

Just do it, he said to himself before forcing first one foot, then the other into his bubble bath.  It was still too hot to just submerge himself.  He was sweating as he eased through the bubbles. There is nothing like boiling away a layer of skin or two along with the miasma clinging to his soul from the day’s events.

It took several little oh’s and ah’s for him to lower his buttocks into the steaming froth.  He almost stood up when the sensitive head of his penis broke though and touched the water before he finally slid all the way into the water at first gritting his teeth prior to relaxing back with an explosive sigh.

He continued to slide further into the cloudy peaks until just the top of his head, crowned in its jet black hair along with his hazel eyes and his nose were visible.  His knees emerged as the rest of him sank.

Maybe I could just slip under the suds and disappear down the drain with all the other grime, Tom wished.  Yeah, that would be nice!  To get washed out to sea.

His reverie was interrupted by a rap at the door that he barely heard with his ears ensconced in bubbles.

“Tommy are you in there?”

Crap, he thought.

He paused before answering.  It was a stupid question; of course he was in there.  “Yes.”

“We need to talk.  I’m coming in.”

“What? No!” but it was already too late.  He decided that, no matter what, he was getting a lock for that door.

His mother walked in wearing a silk dress that matched the god awful color of his tie.

“Mom!  You can’t walk in here like that!”  He tried to hide himself under the bubbles.

“Oh, stop it.  You don’t have anything I haven’t seen before and I’ve seen yours before too.”

“What if I was on the toilet, or…”

“Or what?  Masturbating?” Tom’s cheeks crimsoned as his mother sat on the lid of the commode.  Here grin did not hold any malice.  “I heard the water running earlier and I heard it splash before I knocked, though I suppose you could have been masturbating.”

Tom didn’t say anything, though he could feel his ears burning red.  He just cupped his hands over his groin and hunkered down into the tub, but that just made his knobby knees stick back up out of the diminishing suds.  He hated his knobby knees and his skinny chicken legs too.

“Well, that is more or less over,” she commented, kicking off her teal high heel shoes.

“Um, yeah,” there was an awkward silence as the water started to cool.

“This wedding was harder than I thought it would be,” she said.

Tom silently agreed with her, but he was sure it was not for the same reasons.

“Yeah, who knew Tamara would get married so young,” Tom said flatly.

“I suppose it was inevitable.  She was always playing wedding with her dolls,” his mother paused before continuing, “Danny is a very nice young man.”

Tom nodded.

“And very attractive too.”

Tom didn’t move a muscle.

“You think he is nice too, don’t you?”

He managed a barely perceptible nod.

“Don’t take too long in here.  We still have the reception.”  His mother got up to leave.

“Um, Mom?”

“Yeah?”

“What was so important that you it couldn’t wait until I was out of the bath?”

“Oh, just to – you know – shit!” she sat back down.  “I . . . want to tell you a story.  When I was sixteen, only a little older than you are now, we got a new math teacher in school.  He was younger than the rest, just out of college.  He was tall with beautiful blue eyes and dark blond hair.  He had the most beautiful hands; long, slender fingers, like a pianist.  I would watch every stroke he made writing on the board.  Teachers had to wear a tie, but he also wore jeans.  They were kind of tight and you could tell he wore boxers.”

“Mom!”

“Well, it was true,” she laughed.  “He had a big black wallet that stuck out of his pocket and that was attached to his belt with a chain.  I am sure the school administration thought he was quite the rebel, but he was very popular with the students.  Math became my favorite subject, not that my grades reflected that fact.”

“Um, Mom, the water is starting to get cold.”  The suds were almost gone as well.

“Anyway, I tried everything to get his attention and nothing seemed to work.  Of course I only saw him at school and I don’t know what I was expecting, but I had several fantasies involving empty classrooms.”

“Mom!”

“Don’t be such a prude.  I even used to sign my papers with little hearts for the dots over the i’s.”  His mother grabbed an oversized bath towel and held it up, turning her head away.  Without any real choice in the matter as his cover of bubbles disappeared, he got up and let her wrap the big towel around him.  She turned to look him in the eye.  She was just a little taller than him.  He was impatiently waiting for another growth spurt.  Their builds were a lot alike, minus the obvious differences, but they shared the same lithe structure, hazel eyes, and graceful features.  His sister took after his father, more stout and sturdy.

Dreading where he thought this was going, Tom dipped his head away from his mother’s gaze.

“Anyway, you should have seen me the first time I ran into him outside of school.  It was in the big park.  I was cutting through with your aunt Claire.  He was sitting on a bench.  I thought, now is my big chance, so I dragged your aunt over to him.  She was the only one that knew of my infatuation with my math teacher.  He was sitting there wearing these shorts, the kind runners wear, very short and silky and a tank top.  One of his nipples was even partly visible.”  A soft glow of read highlighted her cheeks and seemed to transfer to Tom when she raised his head with a light touch beneath his chin.  “I said ‘Hi Dave!’ not ‘Hi Mr. Howland,” like I should have.  I think I shocked him with how forward I was being.  He stood and stuttered something while fiddling with a dog toy he was holding.  You know the kind that you put the treat inside?”  She stopped and sighed.

“Yessss…” Tom hissed.  He was getting a little annoyed and impatient.  When was she going to get to the point?

“My next move, not that I really had one, was fortunately interrupted.  A little boy of about four came rushing up followed by a beagle.  He scooped the boy up in his arms and I noticed something new, a band on his finger.  I had never seen it before.”

“So your crush was married,” Tom said, “what does that have to do with me?”  Silently to himself he repeated:  Shut up Mom, shut up Mom, shut up mom!

“Oh, it gets better.  Close behind the dog was another man, very attractive, that tousled the boy’s hair and put an arm around Mr. Howland’s shoulders.  He too wore a gold band.  I ran from the park and I dropped his class the next day.

Tom didn’t say anything.  He didn’t know what to say, nor did he want to acknowledge what was painfully apparent his mother already knew.  He told himself that he was not going to cry, but he had to take a deep sniffle and then clear his throat before he could speak.

“Am I that obvious?” he croaked out.

“No, not really,” she paused, “well, maybe a little.”

“Shit,” he muttered.

“I’m not going to say anything to anyone until you do and I am not going to say anything about it getting better.  I still get a little flutter when I think of Mr. Howland and it will be a lot more difficult for you, because Danny is now your brother-in-law.”

“Shit,” Tom said again, wiping at his eyes and nose with the edge of the towel.

His mom wrapped him in her arms and whispered “I love you” in his ear.

“You Know this is a little awkward, having you hug me like this and all I have on is a towel,” he said.

“For you maybe.”

“Thanks Mom.”

• Like 4

That was really nice, pmdacey. You have very well conveyed the emotions in this story. Likeable characters- the candid mother and the shy son. The whole story has a 'soft' tone, which I liked.

Very well-done. Looking forward to more of your stories. :)

Cheers

Ieshwar

• Like 1

Pmdacey,

The story was very sweet. You really captured the slight fussiness of the teenager, the embarrassment of being caught in the tub, and his forward mother who is out to let her son know she loves and understands him. You handled it all nicely.

Wayne

• Like 1