Poetry Prompt 1 - !TANKA!

• Site Administrator

I haven't written poetry in close to 15 years and am not brave enough to attempt writing it again, but I'm looking forward to reading what the poets on the site come up with.  Great idea!  Thanks, Irri and AC Benus! :)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I don't really get poetry, and I rarely venture into it.

I hated reading Keats, Cowper, and the such in school.  I remember trying to read Sylvia Plath's collection Ariel - might as well have been written in Cantonese for all I got out of it.  I'm fine when it's something simple like the well known Each Peach Pear Plum (I've written a few of my own versions of this over the years) but not really anything beyond that.

Though I wish all of our members a lot of fun writing these prompts.

This is a great idea Irri and AC, and I'm sure will be a welcomed addition to the site.

• Like 3

Thanks Ron!

Here's mine.  Bit pedestrian, but I got to swashbuckle a bit with "anxiety" and I do love getting to play with two extra 7-syllable lines.

A bit pedestrian? Ha! If you can say that about yours, then I'm pretty sure mine could be described as a bit banausic.

edit to add: pun intended 

Edited by Ron
  • Like 4

A bit pedestrian? Ha! If you can say that about yours, then I'm pretty sure mine could be described as a bit banausic.

edit to add: pun intended 

:blink:  It... it hurts my head when you do that, Ron...

Also guys, don't forget - this is not a Haiku! The 'I' is essential in Tanka, as it is what reaches out to touch other readers. :)

Darn it. Fine, I'll try again.

• Like 2

My understanding is that the "I" is the poet's self.  Emotion. And that the tanka should include more self-revelation than the haiku. I like yours, Foster.

I took another shot at the "I" here.

Irri, your 'rain' poem hit me right in the kisser, so to speak, lol. It's because we are in the same climate and environment - needless to say, i know exactly what you are expressing by saying you are waiting for the rain to return. In this part of the world it rains from about mid-November to sometime in May, and then we have a long dry and usually hot spell. Right about now i'm longing for that rain to start falling too. The good thing about the moisture starting before Thanksgiving is, we have roses by Christmas; I love that. Hey, there's an idea for a Tanka if i ever heard one!  

• Like 3

Kief! [cool]. I wanna play with. I've already shared with some friends here at GA, that I don't regard myself as a poet at all, but I love playing with words and "arrange words into form," if that makes sense  :) So, I'm going to give it a try...heh heh oh my nerves! just don't rush me  :thumbup:

Edited by Rano
  • Like 2

I had to do this.

I like it, but think of it this way, where is the poet in this..? I mean, what is the poet feeling - not just what is he seeing.

This is a great idea. Thanks for the inspiration. Will get to work and hopefully produce something to share soon.

And, i see you did!

• Like 3