Poetry Prompt 1 - !TANKA!

I did but how long will it take until it is approved? And can you see it before then or no?

Edit: never mind some one told me, I'll edit this post tomorrow with a URL

As promised here's the link to my poem- https://www.gayauthors.org/story/lost-in-thought/lostinthoughtspoetrypromptcollection/1

Thank you for taking the prompt challenge, and for posting a truly amazing and personal work of art. I hope you continue with the Tanka form and get busy with the other poetry prompts as well. :)

• Like 2

I think I may be hooked. Hope you'll forgive this doesn't meet the request for a reference to the season. And by all means, if it's vulgar form to post more than one response to a prompt, someone please tell me. Just wanted to share...

silence hangs obscure

spoken words without reply

fear draped voids appear

love is hidden abruptly

pain keeping the soul secured

• Like 3

I think I may be hooked. Hope you'll forgive this doesn't meet the request for a reference to the season. And by all means, if it's vulgar form to post more than one response to a prompt, someone please tell me. Just wanted to share...

silence hangs obscure

spoken words without reply

fear draped voids appear

love is hidden abruptly

pain keeping the soul secured

The more the merrier, I always say! Now that you are hooked, try to incorporate the analogy of nature into the emotions you are trying to convey, and you'll do the old Tanka masters proud :) But of course you did that brilliantly already in your first set of Tanka, so by all means please feel free to explore. Just have some fun with the form and make it your own. 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2

This form really appeals to me. The way it both asserts and demands an emotional brevity while requiring a universal yet personal experience....I don't know....It's like trying to capture a Jungian archetype in five lines. I'm going to keep trying. Your feedback means a lot.

• Like 2

This form really appeals to me. The way it both asserts and demands an emotional brevity while requiring a universal yet personal experience....I don't know....It's like trying to capture a Jungian archetype in five lines. I'm going to keep trying. Your feedback means a lot.

Brilliant. You have defined the form (at least as it lives in my mind) so perfectly :) You could almost tweak those sentiments into a Tanka... hint, hint

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Okay, so back to my original intent... my first tanka

Struggling to breathe

Still leaves can't be coaxed to move

Yet I must trod on

Clearing hurt thoughts is my goal

Futile attempt that it is

Edited by Headstall
  • Like 2

Thank you for the prompt, AC... I really like the Tanka. When compared to Haiku, it seems more about participation than observation. I may be wrong in this, but either way, I love both forms. I wrote four tankas that are connected in story and mood. I don't know if that is acceptable, or if they should stand alone?

https://www.gayauthors.org/story/headstall/headstallspoetryprompts/6

Edited by Headstall
  • Like 1
On 8/19/2015 at 8:35 AM, Headstall said:

Thank you for the prompt, AC... I really like the Tanka. When compared to Haiku, it seems more about participation than observation. I may be wrong in this, but either way, I love both forms. I wrote four tankas that are connected in story and mood. I don't know if that is acceptable, or if they should stand alone?

https://www.gayauthors.org/story/headstall/headstallspoetryprompts/6

Thanks for taking the challenge, Gary. And thanks for disseminating the form a bit more.

Others have done it, and there is nothing wrong with using the Tanka as a stanza form (although in Japanese I doubt that they would ;)

Thanks once again!  

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2

Thanks for taking the challenge, Gary. And thanks for disseminating the form a bit more.

Others have done it, and there is nothing wrong with using the Tanka as a stanza form (although in Japanese I doubt that they would ;)

Thanks once again!  

Out of likes, so I'll return, but THANK YOU. I really appreciate these prompts, and the tutoring you provide for these new and exciting forms for me to explore. I am finding poetry tremendously satisfying as a way of expressing my thoughts, and my moods, and I appreciate the direction. Cheers... Gary

• Like 2

Like Gary I have no experience in translating thoughts and moods in a more or less structured form.

Here's something that at least in form is a Tanka.

Are tears part of life ?

Unshedded ones, held inside.

Is pain part of love ?

Cause hurt without intention.

Universal, or just me ?

I'll sign this with my actual name: Peter.

• Like 5
On 8/27/2015 at 12:59 AM, J.HunterDunn said:

Like Gary I have no experience in translating thoughts and moods in a more or less structured form.

Are tears part of life ?

Is pain part of love ?

Universal, or just me ?

Thanks for taking the prompt challenge! I always love to hear from new people 'kicking the tires' on set poetic forms. I think this Tanka is very personal, and the use of the question marks is very effective. As you know, or at least suspect, no has the answers, and that is exactly the thing poetry is good for. Philosophy without the rhetoric is the heart of poetry. 

Thanks once again!

On 8/20/2015 at 1:08 PM, Headstall said:

Out of likes, so I'll return, but THANK YOU. I really appreciate these prompts, and the tutoring you provide for these new and exciting forms for me to explore. I am finding poetry tremendously satisfying as a way of expressing my thoughts, and my moods, and I appreciate the direction. Cheers... Gary

Thanks for your support, Gary. I really appreciate it. As you write songs, I think you may respond really well to the new prompt (no. 12) I have in mind. Look for it in the next week or so. Cheers!

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2

Are tears part of life ?

Is pain part of love ?

Universal, or just me ?

Thank you for sharing, Peter. It felt very real to me. To the point, still we could talk for hours.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Hello, All!

At some point after I wrote this first poetry prompt, I got my act together a bit more. See the posting here for a few translations of classic Japanese Tanka.

I hope they will illustrate a bit better the subjective POV that all Tanka should have (as opposed to no personal POV in the Haiku).

Cheers! 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...