Do Over - Feedback and Announcements

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great chapters! I was floundering around until 39 when you really delivered the payoff.

But.. will we find out exactly when Brian went back to in time? Or... how many times he had to do so for the right result to occur? :)

Wow... I started reading it over again (since 30 should be posted by the time I get there) and Chapter 6 had me teary eyed again.

Almost that we didn't have someone to do it over with information about AIDS at the time. Even though I didn't understand waht was happening when I was living through the start of the epidemic, I do remember my uncle's partner dying two days before Desert Storm, and a friend's sister just last year. the "what ifs" are endless.

So when will we get that all important chapter 40? Hmm...

And would anyone be joining with me to ask for a SEQUEL?! I do hope we get a sequel...

Hey Dan, how much would it take to bribe you so that you'd write a sequel?

Thanks folks for all the wonderful comments. I'm working on chapter 40 and will likely get it to Myr sometime today. As for a sequel...well you never know.

Ibsu, Brian never went back in time. It was Sean in the laboratory who did go back. Brian's plans failed in the end, which I thought was one of the more poignant parts of Chapter 38. If you go back to chapter one, you'll see where Davey sort of recognizes the lab assistant who helps prepare him for the trip back in time. That lab assistant was Sean Rule. In the 'original' time line, they lost track of each other when Davey was 14 and didn't meet again until their late thirties.

As for what happens with the various 'timelines' running around, they have now folded back into each other so only one exists. The machine that sent Davey back kept Sean, the Scientists, and Alexei Shevardnadze protected from changes in the time stream while it operated. When Sean used it, he used up the last of the power and the machine was destroyed.

As for any other person trying to duplicate those efforts, the US government has banned all such research (secretly), and will likely exterminate anyone who tries to do it, no matter where they are.

Ya know, I went back and looked at Mists of Fate this morning. That was the first story I posted on the net. It took me a year to finish that story (I began it just before 9/11/01 and finished it on 9/11/02). It was about 36 chapters in length, and when combined made up 542 pages.

Do Over comes in at forty chapters, and five-hundred twenty-two pages in length. I started writing the story in July of this year, and finished it in December. That's less than half the time of Mists, and I think a much better story. Not bad, I do believe, not bad at all.

Yes, Myr, I'm still working on getting Mists ready for posting here. I'm still revising it though and then I have to get it re-edited for all my changes. I'm on page sixty right now (combined all the chapters into one file).

Okay, that cleared up in Chapter 40. What I *thought* happened is that Brian had figured out a plan after the last diary had been revealed to us.

So, then, how did Sean, being on a timeline where the scientist was still around, *or* being on a timeline where the scientist had been killed, know about the attack?

Sorry, overanalyzing it, I know :)

• Site Administrator

Sean was the scientist's assistant in the original timeline. He helped send back David, Alexi and the scientist. When the timelines were close to merging (same date), Sean got the internet back and saw what happened outside of his building, which was protected from the shifting timelines.

or something like that ;)

Excellent, Dan! I loved this story. I read Mists of Fate many months ago. I enjoyed it as well. What sort of changes are you making to it before republishing it here on this site? Any major rewriting or just some tweeks? I am still looking forward to DoT as well. I am afraid I will have to reread it, I have forgotten so much about it with my reading other things. I think you should consider publishing these works in book form. Surely some company would love to have your talents. I would gladly buy them if that were an option. I buy books almost every month, and short of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series, I prefer your writing above all the ones I have purchased. Keep up the great work. I am so happy to have stumbled across this wonderful site. The stories here have entertained me for countless hours. :D

Be well,

Richard

ORN

Well i was going to read mists of fate but if your reediting and changeing some things then i will wait. As for chapter 40 great ending i wonder if there is a market here for a au ver. of this kind of a sequel.

Edited by ethan thorn
Excellent, Dan! I loved this story. I read Mists of Fate many months ago. I enjoyed it as well. What sort of changes are you making to it before republishing it here on this site? Any major rewriting or just some tweeks? I am still looking forward to DoT as well. I am afraid I will have to reread it, I have forgotten so much about it with my reading other things. I think you should consider publishing these works in book form. Surely some company would love to have your talents. I would gladly buy them if that were an option. I buy books almost every month, and short of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series, I prefer your writing above all the ones I have purchased.  Keep up the great work. I am so happy to have stumbled across this wonderful site. The stories here have entertained me for countless hours. :D

Be well,

Richard

ORN

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time is one of my favorite series...how he keeps so many characters going at the same time is a mystery to me. I get overwhelmed with the amount I try in some of my stories!

By the way, Nynaeve is one of my favorites from his books.

The work I'm doing on Mists is mostly tweaking. I'm making minor changes to it, lessening the overly sexual comments at the beginning, streamlining some of the text (like changing numbers from 16 to sixteen), and so forth. I might clarify a few things more in some of the later chapters, and add a few things that I cut out from the story originally. I've got a lot of notes and deleted paragraphs that I might re-write and add in to help the story out a bit. Like I said, it was the first on-line story I wrote and is a little weak in some areas.