Evil Twins Quiz

Star Trek made it easy to tell the Evil Spock from the regular one. The goatee was a giveaway. Though the English language has no telltale goatee, it's a hairy thing. It's full of words that sound alike but mean very different things. How well can you distinguish these evil twins from one another?

Evil Twins Quiz

I found this rather entertaining so you might like to give it a whirl. I got nine out of ten correct, and no, I'm not owning up to the one I got wrong. :D

Sharon

• Site Moderator
And I thought for sure I'd have to turn in my Editor's tag for missing the one. :lmao:

Sharon

Not that I'm making excuses but I was tired when I took that little test. I might try it again later to see what happens.

Jan

I just burst my own bubble. :(

7/10.

I'm going to argue, of course! :lol:

Everyday, for me at least, can be used as an adverb. I run everyday. It has a similar meaning to I run often. Often is an adverb. If everyday can only be used as an adjective, then this sentence is not grammatically correct.

I want an 8! :lmao:

Conner

But Conner, as I see that,

"I run everyday" makes no sense.

"I run every day" makes sense, as does "Running is an everyday task for me"...

Hmm. Maybe the use of "Everyday" is an americanism.

But Conner, as I see that,

"I run everyday" makes no sense.

"I run every day" makes sense, as does "Running is an everyday task for me"...

Hmm. Maybe the use of "Everyday" is an americanism.

You may be right. I was thinking that "run" is an intransitive verb as it is used in my example. Then again, you can have the sentence, "I ran the entire way."

I'm writing a letter of complaint to Mr. Webster. :P If "good" can be an adverb, so can "everyday".

Conner

Edited by Conner
I only got five right the first time, then I went back and did it again and got eight right. At that point, I figured I might as well go back again, and I got nine right B)B) . I won't say what happened when I went back again :ph34r:

Creativity has its price, Nick! :P

• Site Moderator

This time I got 8 of them.

I also think something is screwed with the program.

The correct answer: A I could of eaten a whole pizza.

Your answer: C I could have eaten a whole pizza.

While all three of these sentences sound similar, only the last two are correct. While "could of" is a common error, it shows alarming disregard for the job description of the verb, a part of speech that expresses action. Eating pizza, while not exactly heroic, is still something that you do. It requires a "have" (or its contraction, "'ve") to complete the thought. The same goes for "could"'s partners in rhyme, "would" and "should."

As you can see, the comment says that I am right about the answer I chose, but it's grading me wrong. Therefore, my score should be 9 out of 10.

Connor and Andy, here's what they had to say about everyday and every day.

Everyday, with no space between the words, means "ordinary." It works as an adjective. When working as the answer to the question "when," every day is a noun. When do you wear your everyday clothes? Every day.

Jan

This time I got 8 of them.

I also think something is screwed with the program.

The correct answer: A I could of eaten a whole pizza.

Your answer: C I could have eaten a whole pizza.

While all three of these sentences sound similar, only the last two are correct. While "could of" is a common error, it shows alarming disregard for the job description of the verb, a part of speech that expresses action. Eating pizza, while not exactly heroic, is still something that you do. It requires a "have" (or its contraction, "'ve") to complete the thought. The same goes for "could"'s partners in rhyme, "would" and "should."

As you can see, the comment says that I am right about the answer I chose, but it's grading me wrong. Therefore, my score should be 9 out of 10.

Connor and Andy, here's what they had to say about everyday and every day.

Everyday, with no space between the words, means "ordinary." It works as an adjective. When working as the answer to the question "when," every day is a noun. When do you wear your everyday clothes? Every day.

Jan

Jan I think the problem seems to be that this question asks which sentence is not correct. Looks like you picked one that is correct.

Sharon

• Site Moderator
Jan I think the problem seems to be that this question asks which sentence is not correct. Looks like you picked one that is correct.

Sharon

Point well taken and I stand corrected. Thanks Sharon.

Everyday, for me at least, can be used as an adverb. I run everyday. It has a similar meaning to I run often. Often is an adverb. If everyday can only be used as an adjective, then this sentence is not grammatically correct.

I got a seven too, and I got this one wrong also. The way it was phrased wasn't proper, since 'every day' is not a noun but a noun phrase.

And I had no clue as to what "pedal to the metal" was about. Cyclists are junkies, I'm not too interested in them.

Thanks Kurt for giving us a redeeming chance with the other test: I got 10 out of 10!

Looks like I may have to hand in my Editor tag...

I only got 8 out of 10 :(

However, I would argue that "Enormity" could have been correct in Question 3...

dictionary.reference.com/ includes the following Usage Note for the word "Enormity":

Usage Note:
Enormity
is frequently used to refer simply to the property of being great in size or extent, but many would prefer that enormousness (or a synonym such as immensity) be used for this general sense and that enormity be limited to situations that demand a negative moral judgment

And in Question 8 I would argue that not all baits need to be evil smelling!

Marty (trying to make excuses)

Here is a grammer one from the same site... this one seemed more difficult to me, however I again got 7/10 correct. Grammar quiz

3,4, and 9 were the ones that I got incorrect.

Kurt

Okay, I redeemed myself on this one! :)

10 out of 10 ! :2thumbs:

Although I would argue that the word "irregardless" could have been correct in Question 5.

Most of the entries for it at dictionary.reference.com may show the word as "Nonstandard".

However, to my mind, the fact that it is listed suggests that the word does actually exist - whereas in the quiz results is is claimed that "irregardless is not really a word".

Marty (ever the pedant)

Te first one---2,6 wrong...that is 8/10

The Second one--- 9/10

Incorrect

The correct answer: A its

Your answer: B it's

"I can't get the VCR to record; its instructions are too complicated."

Even though an apostrophe + s often indicates possession, the pronoun it breaks this rule--its (without an apostrophe) is the possessive form. It

Here's another one---http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/Features/Quiz/Quiz.aspx?quizid=36

My result-->15/15

Yayy!

B) .....on the evil twins I got 9/10 and only because I didn't watch how I checked pedel to the metal