Southern California Fires

Jack Scribe

This mayhem in the LA/San Diego area is mind boggling. As of 9:00 a.m. PDT time, over 600 homes have been destroyed and 300,000 people have been evacuated.

If any bonifide GA members are in need of a temporary shelter in Palm Springs during this disaster, I have a guest room.

Jack

This mayhem in the LA/San Diego area is mind boggling. As of 9:00 a.m. PDT time, over 600 homes have been destroyed and 300,000 people have been evacuated.

If any bonifide GA members are in need of a temporary shelter in Palm Springs during this disaster, I have a guest room.

Jack

:( .....I hear that the Santa Anna winds are not expected to die down anytime soon either.

• Site Administrator

There's a report that Australia will be returning the favour from our last bushfire season and will be sending some firefighters to help out. I hope they do -- we've done it in the past and I expect we'll be doing it in the future, too.

I just had a vendor up here whose business is in Burbank. His brother-in-law lives near San Diego and was evacuated yesterday, so their house is fairly full with both families. Luckily, we're in NorCal so there's not much of a direct impact, except well, trying to call places in SoCal can be troublesome...

When Katrina hit the Gulf Coast, there were a number of voices who asked why do we rebuild the South East every 30 years when we know that hurricanes and tornadoes will come along and wipe it out again.

The answer is that no part of the US, or the world for that matter, is immune from natural disaster. In fact California may be higher risk than anywhere else considering the threats from earthquakes, tsunamis, landslides, drought, flood, fire and riots.

We are all better off when we take care of each other.

Smells like smoke.

Here's a 3:30 p.m. PDT update:

513,000 residents evacuated in San Diego/LA area

600 square miles ablaze

Over 2,000 homes destroyed

2 deaths

45 injured

Because of the wind gusts up to 70 mph, the wildfires continue to leap around. Aircraft support is ineffective. Unfortunately, these conditions may continue for another 24 hours. Over 600 firefighters are involved.

Here's a 3:30 p.m. PDT update:

513,000 residents evacuated in San Diego/LA area

600 square miles ablaze

Over 2,000 homes destroyed

2 deaths

45 injured

Because of the wind gusts up to 70 mph, the wildfires continue to leap around. Aircraft support is ineffective. Unfortunately, these conditions may continue for another 24 hours. Over 600 firefighters are involved.

:( ..........I use to live in San Diego a long time ago, Jack do have any idea what part of San Diego is evacuated?

:( ..........I use to live in San Diego a long time ago, Jack do have any idea what part of San Diego is evacuated?

The LA times has a good interactive fire map. I'm not sure if you have to be registered, but here's a link

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-firem...=la-home-center

Take Care®,

Vic (who is safely behind a mountain range away from the fires)

My couch is available if anyone wants to hit up the east coast! AFAIK we haven't had wildfires in NJ since 2003, but I could be wrong. Every time I drive on the back roads home from school I can see the charred remains of some of the Pine Barrens from the last brush fires...

When the Harris fire came over Mt Miguel last night we were very much in danger here; fire a few miles away. Luckily its turning more NW and the wind is dieing down some. Hopefully the santa anna wont pick back up tomarrow.

Edited by Umbathri

silly NorCal vs. SoCal rant to follow...

You guys are wrecking the view of our hills up here! :angry:

By the way, would you like to buy some water? :P That one always brings a smile to my face.

I got to San Diego Friday night for a work convention. Today, I start a 1 1/2 week vacation here to visit my sister. It is freaky being here in the midst of these fires. The convention was downtown just minutes from the airport and right on San Diego Bay. The smoke was bad for the last 2 days.

The scary part is the fact that it was 4 years ago to the exact same weekend that this happened before. Back then, I still lived here but was in Quebec training staff at our new office. I got to watch my neighborhood burn to the ground live on CNN and the web from 3500 miles away. This time, I live in Quebec but got to be here to see it happening personnally. Thankfully, my sister and her boyfriend's family are ok and have so far not had to leave their house. The shelters and volunteers for everyone who has had to evacuate have been doing an excellent job.

My thoughts are with everyone in the SoCal area affected.

Oh my! How devastating :(

My best regards and thoughts to those involved

The answer is that no part of the US, or the world for that matter, is immune from natural disaster. In fact California may be higher risk than anywhere else considering the threats from earthquakes, tsunamis, landslides, drought, flood, fire and riots.

I've been trying very hard to decide whether I wanted to move to New York or California next. Not to be facetious at a time like this, but I think you've just helped sway the balance.

I've been trying very hard to decide whether I wanted to move to New York or California next. Not to be facetious at a time like this, but I think you've just helped sway the balance.

Move to Iowa. A nice corn field, a few cows, a college town nearby...

Move to Iowa. A nice corn field, a few cows, a college town nearby...

You should propose Kevin to move to France. If already a move, than one which its worth :P .It would even have the advantage for him to learn French, and I'm sure you will help him :lol: If you don't, I will :D

Move to New Jersey! The worst natural disaster New Jersey has ever had is its government!

Sadly, I'm not kidding. The New Jersey government is screwed up and corrupted beyond belief.

Move to New Jersey! The worst natural disaster New Jersey has ever had is its government!

Sadly, I'm not kidding. The New Jersey government is screwed up and corrupted beyond belief.

Having transplanted myself to the left coast from New Joisey (smile when you say that :D ), I can understand the frustration.

Having transplanted myself to the left coast from New Joisey (smile when you say that :D ), I can understand the frustration.

People who say Joisey anger me, because they clearly have never lived in NJ for a long amount of time (I have lived here for the past 11 years).