Scenes from the Life of an Atheist

oh hi. i did it again. write a story, i mean.

find it here.

i used a type of sectioning i borrowed from j.m. coetzee (whom all of you should read) in his novel In the Heart of the Country. but i've seen it elsewhere as well. i just decided when i bought his book and flipped through it that it was cool and it makes writing really manageable.

the point is, i think some of you should give it a go - this format.

tell me if you do.

anyway. read and discuss. (and borrow.)

• Site Administrator

LOL -- absolutely loved the ending. :)

An interesting journey through Nick's life. I suspect there's a lot of subtleties that I've missed, but I noticed how Nick seemed to be dispassionate over almost everything -- or should that be that he seemed disconnected. Either way, he was always just a little bit away from whatever was going on around him.

Thanks! I enjoyed it very much.

The ending amused me to no end, though I must say I'm rather curious as to whether you yourself are an atheist. At times it seemed like you were, and at others it seemed like you weren't. Either way, it was an intriguing read with a fun ending.

Menzo

PS As far as the style goes, it works nicely for a short story, but if I had to read a novel written like that I might be tempted to burn each of the pages individually in very large pit (occupied by the ashes of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest)

• Site Administrator
PS As far as the style goes, it works nicely for a short story, but if I had to read a novel written like that I might be tempted to burn each of the pages individually in very large pit (occupied by the ashes of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest)

I'd agree (apart from maybe the bit about the large pit). What we have is a very high level series of snapshots in the protagonist's life. What's impressive is the amount of feeling you've managed to provide with such short snapshots, but maybe that style has added to that feeling of detachment I mentioned -- we don't really get to dive into his life and feel it. It's obvious that he's held a long term relationship, but we don't get any real idea of what that relationship is like. Based on what we've read, it would appear to be fairly cold and clinical, and I suspect that that is not really the case -- we're just not being shown the emotion, only the clinical analysis.

• Site Administrator
Come on Graeme, you know you wanna let loose with a big book-burning where you can take some of the trash you've read and burn it all...

Or maybe it's just me.

Menzo (the mad) :P

It's just you :P There are a lot of other uses for un-liked books than burning....

It's just you :P There are a lot of other uses for un-liked books than burning....

As a semi-on-topic curiosity, Bible paper makes some of the best rolling paper around. It's extremely thin, but also of a high quality. You can pass this on to your kids when they're older, and you'll be the world's coolest dad :lol:

• Site Administrator
As a semi-on-topic curiosity, Bible paper makes some of the best rolling paper around. It's extremely thin, but also of a high quality. You can pass this on to your kids when they're older, and you'll be the world's coolest dad :lol:

:lol: I probably won't pass that on. We're sending our boys to a Christian school and I don't think it'll make a good impression :P I'll wait until they're old enough to join GA and they can come and read that information for themselves.

:lol:

That was an excellent read. Highly recommded! Some lines were just awesome. :lol: I loved it.

The style is great. But as Menzo said, it would suit only short stories. Perhaps, one day, I'll try it. I like writing about snippets.

Ieshwar