The Discourses - Nicolo Machiavelli

Spandau - Albert Speer

Twilight (I succumbed to the pressure)

Assorted mythology and folklore

EDIT:

Forgot the most important one

Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Edited by Nikolai

Currently i'm reading "Circle Of 3" by Patricia Gaffenny? 3 generations of Virginia women trying to figure out there lives. It's like Divine Secrets Of The Ya Ya sisterhood. When i'm reading the 1 character Sandra Bullocks voice pops into my head ha ha .

At the moment I'm up to my slide rule in background research for Twilight

Fifth Generation Nuclear Weapons, SciAm

Nuclear Strategy in the Post Cold War World, USMA Press

Raging Dragon, the Ascendence of China as a Superpower

Jane's Fighting Ships, 2009

Military Satellites of the World

Twilight - JamesSavik

Changing Lanes - CJames

Buy Me A Drink - AFriendlyFace

Beta reading for Krista

IRL

Red Storm Rising - Tom Clancy

Dune - Frank Herbert

And a few other things that cross my path :)

Beta reading for Krista

You're damn right you are, and liking every minute of it. ;)

Well, I've started Duncan Ryder - Um, yeah, I'm aware that I'm slow at getting to people, but I am liking what I've read so far. :wub:

As far as print reading, I am extremely starved right now. I may look into The Catcher and the Rye again though, I've read it more than a few times already, it just is a good read. :)

You're damn right you are, and liking every minute of it. ;)

Well, I've started Duncan Ryder - Um, yeah, I'm aware that I'm slow at getting to people, but I am liking what I've read so far. :wub:

As far as print reading, I am extremely starved right now. I may look into The Catcher and the Rye again though, I've read it more than a few times already, it just is a good read. :)

You stole that from me when I mentioned it last night! Brat :angry:

Catcher in the Rye is a really good book IMO, but if you want a more modern version of it, check out Perks of Being a Wallflower

Both of these books have the Phantom Seal of Approval :D

• 2 weeks later...

Always reading Storm Constantine.... get to the end then start again... Best writer and best stories IN THE WORLD But somewhat of an acquired taste... very homo erotic and quite violent

City of Glass - Cassandra Clare

Terry Pratchett

In the middle of Sun-Tsu, "The Art of War: (audio book); about to start "The Lessons of Terror" by Caleb Carr. Occasionally, I'll pick up Orson Scott Card's "Characters & Viewpoint." My creative writing teacher wants me to read all the great Russian authors. Sorry to disappoint him!

• Like 1

...Catcher in the Rye is a really good book IMO

"Catcher..." is an excellent book and is one I regret not having read in high school. I didn't read it until about 10 years ago. My mind still holds images from it. Now that's great writing, IMO.

I recently got 'handed' a book and told 'read it'! "Lord of the Fading Lands" by C. L. Wilson, and so far it's absolutely lovely It's a fantasy / romance blend (so far) that I'm absolutely adoring. It's got the 'evil wizard' and the 'good wizard' and the 'maiden fair with magic power' to knock your socks off with (gee, sarcasm much? :D ).

Anyway, I'd highly recommend it... even if it is adding 'yet another obstacle' to me getting around to reading some of the e-fiction work I've been looking at.

About half-way through Jamie O'Neill's 'At Swim, Two Boys'

That was a great book, although almost too pungent. It makes me happy that you're reading it, hehe.

Finished Best Gay Love Stories (which I'm really embarrassed to admit...) not too long ago, and now I think I'm gonna pick up Pride and Prejudice.

Oh, I envy you... I would like to read P&P for the first time again. Ah.

"Catcher..." is an excellent book and is one I regret not having read in high school. I didn't read it until about 10 years ago. My mind still holds images from it. Now that's great writing, IMO.

Yes, "Catcher..." is a great book, although I was extremely lukewarm about it when I first read it -- which is to say, I was appalled and annoyed. Now I like it. I've grown up, obviously. :P

I finished Doctor Glas by Soederberg. It was very good -- every malcontent bourgeois should read it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've just finished Atlas Shrugged--for the second time.

Does that mean you're some kind of die-hard objectivist? :ph34r:

The Charterhouse of Parma, by Stendhal.

Self Portrait in a Convex Mirror, by John Ashbery.

Praise, by Robert Hass.

Skimmed the thread and didn't see anything about the Baen Free Library. Over 100 books available online for free :read::D

I've read:

1632 (Eric Flint) / 1633 (Eric Flint and David Weber) (and have a couple more books in the series) - I liked them, but each book after 1632 is a collaborative work with a different co-author, so be prepared for the style to change drastically from book to book. I got through 1634: The Ram Rebellion but couldn't motivate myself to finish 1634: The Galileo Affair.

A Hymn Before Battle (John Ringo) - I got through it but haven't had the energy to go after the sequel yet.

On Basilisk Station and The Honor of the Queen (Weber) - I love this series, and just finished book 3, awaiting more books' arrivals.

Neptune Crossing, Strange Attractors, and The Infinite Sea (Jeffrey Carver) - The ultimate tease, book four in this series (Sunborn) was due out in 2001, but kept getting pushed back while Carver finished Eternity's End. Book four is now FINALLY out and available for free for a limited time on Carver's website (along with the aforementioned Eternity's End) at starrigger.net. I bought the first four books as a freshman in high school (in 2000!) and have been waiting for Sunborn for nine years now - just have to reread the first three to get back into the series. (Maybe I'm beginning to understand how Davey Jones felt about Episode III in the Do Over series? :lol: )

Mutineer's Moon (Weber) is the first book in one of my favorite trilogies ever.

Oooh, another Ringo and Weber fan! I love both of those authors :D

Try...

David Weber: (A lot of his works can be downloaded, free, from http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com )

Oath of Swords, Sword God's Own, Wind Rider's Oath

Off Armageddon Reef, By Schism Rent Asunde, By Heresies Distressed

Armageddon Troll

In Fury Born

Hells Gate; Hell Hath No Fury

You've already mentioned the Honor series, which runs something like 12 books these days...

Basilisk Station, Honor of the Queen, A Short Victorious War, Field of Dishonor, Honor in Exile, Honor Among Enemies, In Enemy Hands, Echoes of Honor, Ashes of Victory, War of Honor, At All Costs, (Upcoming Mission of Honor)

Side stories:

Crown of Slaves, Torch of Freedom (due out 'soon')

Shadow of Saganami, Storm From the Shadows

With John Ringo: March Upcontry, March to the Sea, March to the Stars, We Few

I love this story; it's a gigantic bildungsroman (coming of age novel, or in in this case series) showing how Roger McClintock goes from being a spoiled brat... to a McClintock's McClintock; a warrior beyond compare, a man of honor and a naked sword in human form.

John Ringo (WARNING: this guy is an 'adult' author in a lot of ways, he does not pull his punches. I'll specifically note the ones that will be particularly disturbing, but his work is military sci-fi):

Legacy of the Aldenata (Or Posleen War, or another few names) is a great series, but it's a PITA to list. There's a 'core' series, Hymn Before Battle, Gust Front, When the Devil Dances, and Hell's Fair, but there are also several stand alone novels or secondary series and I'm not even going to bother trying to make sense of them.

Council War Series: There Will Be Dragons, Emerald Sea (NOTE: attached short-story is very graphic... and set in a harem), Against the Tide, "East of the Sun, West of the Moon" (Note; despite titles this is a sci-fi, not fantasy, series)

Paladin of the Shadow Series (NOTE: This series is the one I was thinking of when I said I'd mention 'particularly disturbing'; Ghost is a disturbed man who is violent, hard-core soldier... and very sexually dominant. By which I mean rapist who chooses not to engage in rape... mostly, in a kinda-sorta way.) Ghost, Kildar, Choosers of the Slain, Unto the Breach (I love this book, specifically some scenes later one where the terrorists learn the true meaning of terror... by dieing. AER KELDAR!), A Deeper Blue

Looking Glass: Into the Looking Glass, Vorpal Blade, Manxome Foe, Claws that Catch

Non Series: Von Nueman's War, Princess of Wands (this one has strongly influenced my Redemption / Guardian universe, not that that's shown up yet)

OK, so I love these guys... sorry to write a mini essay on them!

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

I had to read that for a high school book report paper (something about describing a book without getting repetative) and gods did I LOVE IT. *wiggles* Unfortunatly, I lost my copy. It went bye bye sometime in the last three years. *pouts*

Currently i'm reading Angels & Demons from Dan Brown,,, it's really good, even if I've already seen the movie

Oh, I loved that book to. I prefer it over its sequel The DaVinci Code, though I like both books. I just found Angels and Demons much more entertaining and interesting. Go figure.

Anyways, my new list...

Pandora by Anne Rice: I may hate her for turning her back on an entire series but...I promised myself I would finish all of her books (and I have nearly. This one and another one I just have to finish). It's rather...dry. But I will prevail!

The Dancing Floor by Barbara Michaels: Okay, so I don't usually read her, but dang it! This is a good book! I love this one really, I do. It touches on the Pendle Witch Case and weaves a story around it in such a way that it makes you devour it. It's my 10th time reading it and I still catch things that I missed the first 9 times.

Cujo by Stephen King: Must I explain this one? Giant, pyscho dog killing people? What more do I have to say?

Christine by Stephen King: Again, must I explain this one?

Uncovering the Mystery of MPD: It's shocking origins...It's Surprising Cure by James. G. Frieshen, PH.D: Reading this one for a story that I am currently working on. It has a one character that has MPD and one with SPD (split personality disorder) which is some what like MPD, but only...two personalities. Anyways, it's rather interesting either way.

Portrait of a Killer - Jack the Ripper - Case Closed by Patricia Cornwell: I'm rereading this one due to the fact that I like it. Not reading it for any other reason. *nods*