Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Changing Lanes, Chapter 1

CJ, should I read LtMP before I start CLiff? :wacko:

Hi Steph!!!

Tough question!! I'd suggest reading LTMP first, as some of the background there plays a role in Changing Lanes sooner or later. Theoretically, Changing Lanes works as a free-standing novel, and can be read that way, but LTMP sets the stage for it in some ways.

If anyone who hasn't read LTMP has a look at Changing Lanes, I'd really appreciate it if they let me know their impressions on this.

CJ :)

CJ, should I read LtMP before I start CLiff? :wacko:

I should say so Steph. LTMP takes a while to read, but it's awesome! :D

Now, as for the first chapter, this is going to be interesting. First, we already seem to have a new villain,

James Tate Carlshitski

A businessman both by nature and profession, he

• Site Moderator
I should say so Steph. LTMP takes a while to read, but it's awesome! :D

Now, as for the first chapter, this is going to be interesting. First, we already seem to have a new villain,

James Tate Carlshitski

Then, we have Eric, of all people, planning a stag party. It's funny how he thinks he can get away with not telling Helen about his plans. :lmao:

I see we're on the same track, Tim, in what was noticed. But then again, they are rather obvious.

It will be interesting to see how much of a part the General (Retired) has in this story.

Banana and pepperoni sandwich? Well, Elvis used to eat deep fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

What kind of name is

Carlshitski

? Certainly not Irish. And what is General Bradson up to?

And the biggest surprise of all?

No cliffhanger.

Good start to the new story, CJ.

Edited by MikeL

Awesome chapter, CJ!!!!!

:great::music::worship:

I already get the impression that I'm going to enjoy this story immensely!

Banana and pepperoni sandwich? Well, Elvis used to eat deep fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

That was the first thing I was going to comment on too! :nuke:

Hopefully the banana was a side and not a topping.

What kind of name is

Carlshitski

? Certainly not Irish.

Sounds Polish to me.

And what is General Bradson up to?

I suspect the general is going to be very instrumental in getting JT and the boys to confront each other!

Another note, anyone notice the increased ambiguity of Eric's sexuality? He's pretty comfortable with the idea of male strippers, and I noticed how he said having females strippers at Brandon and Chase's wedding would be like having male strippers at yours (not 'yours or mine").

In the same breath he did say, "I like the ladies as much as you do...", but he didn't say anything about liking the guys ;)

Anyway, as I said, great chapter, CJ!!! :D

Can't wait for the next!

Kevin

Another note, anyone notice the increased ambiguity of Eric's sexuality? He's pretty comfortable with the idea of male strippers, and I noticed how he said having females strippers at Brandon and Chase's wedding would be like having male strippers at yours (not 'yours or mine").

In the same breath he did say, "I like the ladies as much as you do...", but he didn't say anything about liking the guys ;)

I think Eric might be bi. If that's the case, then he probably does love women as much as Jon does, and there's nothing wrong with that. I think it's about time for him to go all the way with a guy. Shadowgod can co-author the chapter. :D

I think there is a connection between James Tate Carlshitski and the Carlisle boys. Possibly a fatherly connection. Brandon got a name change, why not the others?

Good observation. Carlisle is English, not Irish; Carlshitski is neither.

That was the first thing I was going to comment on too! :nuke:

Hopefully the banana was a side and not a topping.

Elvis put the bananas and peanut butter on the bread together before dipping the sandwich in batter and dropping it into the deep fryer. Don't know about Jon.

HAHA! I thought you were gonna take your needed rest CJ, but either case wonderful chapter and I cannot wait to read the rest of it.

For JT, I think ex-KGB would be very likely for his background considering Scar's background. Even if he does not become the main villain, which is still possible at this point, his experience will be invaluable in the future chapters. He does not want people to know about his past, but he is quite happy to retire on his farm without a care in the world, so I do not think he wants world domination.

Here is something else that might be interesting to look at; we never hear anything about Brandon's family. Yes, we know they do not accept him just like Chase's dad, but there must be more. Background wise, the story is still wide open and anyone can be a villain or hero.

By the way, I am grateful that you opened up Eric to new experiences, hehe! Male strippers, hmm, maybe he will find a nice down on his luck guy that interviews for the position and ends up his new paramour. Think about the headlines on that, "Bassist in Famed Rock Band Dating Male-Stripper" Enquirer eat you heart out!

You introduce the title in the first chapter, interesting. You are moving faster than before; I wonder what other meaning that has.

I just know I'm going to love this story. :wub: As CJ points out in posting this first chapter, the genre is romance/relationship. We all know what that means.....Pool Parties!!! :music::2thumbs::P

My first reaction to the name Carlshitski was that one of CJ's beta (maybe zeta) readers changed Carlisle to Carlshitski and CJ didn't notice it. Either that or CJ did it himself. :lol: In any event, I'm convinced that JT is the brothers' dad.

I just love the sweet cuddly moments between Brandon and Chase. :wub: Getting married on a tropical beach definitely falls into the 'romantic'.

It's just so great still having Helen in the story. The feelings that she and Eric have for one another and the constant tension between them, as they each give their best to outsmarting the other, is one of the more fascinating dynamics at play in the story....for me, anyway. I love it. Having a relationship like that in real life is a ton of fun. :D

MORE, please!!!

Conner

We know from an early chapter of LtMP that the Carlisle brothers had in fact adopted a new surname -- Helen mentions this in passing in discussing with Brandon the idea of changing his. I am going to assume that JT is in fact Jerry's former business partner and Jon, Eric, and Chase's father -- although CJ has been known to be clever at misdirection in the past on occasion!

Where might the stag party be set that is en route to the Canary Islands from wherever they are?

Further, on the old principle that "you never bring a rifle on stage unless someone is going to fire it" I suspect that the world's largest natural cliff hanger (pun intended!) will play an important part in this story before it's done.

Carlshitski? I know Helen said their former name was embarrassing, but HOLY DAMN! Yeah I think this couple is their real family, as all the clues point to it. I hadn't thought of it only because it was a long time ago that they were last mentioned in LTMP.

Eric is starting to make me wonder. He left his comments wildly open ended and I think it was on purpose. Who knows maybe Chad (or whatever his name was) will reappear?

I think it's too early to tell if any villains have been introduced. I had a feeling that JT was it, but he doesn't seem like the type of guy to be a villain, and so far CJ has had some nasty [expletive deleted] villains. We'll see, I don't think we know enough about him just yet...

• Site Administrator

Great first chapter CJ, and thanks :P .

So based on some facts I remember from LTMP, I would say it is fair to say that JT is the Carlisle brothers dad.

The boys are from Idaho

Their dad was in the shipping business with Jerry, but walked away when the boys left.

The boys changed their last name.

If I were to guess early on what the general is there for it would take in the fact that he has a gay son himself, I believe that is what he said after Brandon landed the plane at Edwards. Jerry also contributed to Joe's homophobic ideas by lying about who killed his wife/Joe's mom. I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry fed fuel to the fire when JT found out about Chase.

JT also mentioned that his relationship with his wife had changed since the boys left.

I believe the General is there to have a father of a gay son to father of a gay son chat. He mentioned that he has been lied to. I believe that through Joe's contribution the General knows what Jerry probably did to the boys parents as well. I wouldn't imagine the government disclosed what they knew about Jerry's lies and deceit to JT, so the general is there to do that.

Pepperoni and Banana Sandwich....ugh (insert puking smiley here)

Thanks again CJ, it is amazing how much I missed the guys over the past couple of weeks :P .

Steve B)

Edited by wildone
So based on some facts I remember from LTMP, I would say it is fair to say that JT is the Carlisle brothers dad.

The boys are from Idaho

Their dad was in the shipping business with Jerry, but walked away when the boys left.

The boys changed their last name.

If I were to guess early on what the general is there for it would take in the fact that he has a gay son himself, I believe that is what he said after Brandon landed the plane at Edwards. Jerry also contributed to Joe's homophobic ideas by lying about who killed his wife/Joe's mom. I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry fed fuel to the fire when JT found out about Chase.

JT also mentioned that his relationship with his wife had changed since the boys left.

The "loss" thing made me think it was a new character. Why the name change, then? Could this be some misdirection, the author luring us into thinking this is the brothers' father?

Just loved the first chapter. It was hard enough waiting for LTMP to appear. Looks like I'm in for another six months of hopping about waiting between chapters.

Lot's of possibilities in this one and I expect we will all get taken for a ride or two.

Oh I found the title a give away too

Very CL iffy in fact so I'll just wait a while...

Peter

The Carlisle guys did change their name; In LTMP 7 it's mentioned briefly by Helen:

The guys had a similar situation when Instinct formed; their last name was originally a real tongue-twister, but they adopted
C James' new story, Changing Lanes begins today with Chapter 1, titled Wedding Bells. Enjoy.

w00t!!

*runs off to read*

---------------------

Okies... Now that I have read it...here's the lowdown...

Nice chapter, CJ....for a change, no cliffies...

My first though after reading the first paragraph was that JT is obviously the boys' father. I mean the last name bears similarity to Carlisle.

'nuff said... where's the next chapter?? Grrr... :lol:

BeaStKid :devil:

Edited by BeaStKid

Now here is a minor point, who wants to take the bet that Chase and Brandon are not going to have an uneventful stag party and wedding. Feels like some one wants to play "volcano" or "earthquake", which can set off a volcano if it stikes close enough. Eric needs to find a guy soon or else CJ might just do a virgin sacrifice :worship::worship:0:)0:) (well, he is not exactly a virgin!)

Another thing to consider is where does Jim want to get married? I know we look at the boys' story a lot, but the minor characters are usually the keys to bigger plots later on.

Now here is a minor point, who wants to take the bet that Chase and Brandon are not going to have an uneventful stag party and wedding. Feels like some one wants to play "volcano" or "earthquake", which can set off a volcano if it stikes close enough. Eric needs to find a guy soon or else CJ might just do a virgin sacrifice :worship::worship:0:)0:) (well, he is not exactly a virgin!)

Another thing to consider is where does Jim want to get married? I know we look at the boys' story a lot, but the minor characters are usually the keys to bigger plots later on.

Jim already knows about the Canary Islands. Why not there?

• Site Moderator
Jim already knows about the Canary Islands. Why not there?

I think Jim will decide on somewhere else. He doesn't seem the type who would intrude on Brandon's and Chase's moment.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..