Your Car: What is it?

Why do people buy Lexus? As far as I can tell, and have seen, it's an overpriced, badly designed, pile of crap.

If you want design and quality then BMW, Mercs or Audi are your best bet! :P

That is your opinion, which basically counts to zero. Don't dis the car I drive.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is your opinion, which basically counts to zero. Don't dis the car I drive.

I had a Lexus. It was really nice. Amazing fit and finish, super quality, smooth and quiet. Only problem, and it's the same problem I have with all Toyota-derived products: they aren't made for tall people.

Thank the Gods for diversity. If we all had the same tastes it would be Soooooo boring.

The favourite car I ever had was a 1940's volvo... built like a tank, could have camped in the boot but I loved him to bits... literally in the end.

They suck, just like you =P

I drive a Nissan Sentra =(

I want a Toyota Highlander, fully stocked... *Drools*

Ahhh, how could I forget. Nobodies opinion counts but yours, right?

Lexus have produced nothing of note, IMO, in the last 10 years. Uninspiring is probably the best way to describe their cars. Just look at BMW, Audi, Mercedes - beautiful lines and amazing designs. Lexus for me, looks like a poor copy.

Ok, maybe I went too far calling them a pile of crap, but, unfortunately, they don't make 'em like they used to.

I mostly agree with DF. Toyota and Lexus are both boring. They are good cars, well built. Reliable (well, Toyota has had a few issues with some models lately). But boring to look at, and not a great thrill to drive. Scion is...strange. Where I live they are midlife crisis cars. I worked in a drive-thru for 3 years and I never saw anyone younger than 30 driving one, yet they are targeted at a young audience. I don't really like their appearance anyway.

My dad keeps going "Buy a Toyota." I don't want a Toyota; I'm 21, I want something exciting. When I'm 30? When I have my first kid? Sure, I'll consider a Toyota. Until then I'll look at something more exciting, like Mazda.

Totally agree with the Dragon, BMW, magnificent machines. :D (Polishes his M3) :P

Lexus, boo hiss. ;)

Nah, seriously they used to produce great cars with innovative designs. But as has been pointed out, they are kinda dull lately. I wouldn't go as far as calling them a pile of crap Dragon, they are well built & reliable. But I feel they are overpriced in a market where frankly, the Germans are kicking ass.

Totally agree with the Dragon, BMW, magnificent machines. :D (Polishes his M3) :P

Lexus, boo hiss. ;)

Nah, seriously they used to produce great cars with innovative designs. But as has been pointed out, they are kinda dull lately. I wouldn't go as far as calling them a pile of crap Dragon, they are well built & reliable. But I feel they are overpriced in a market where frankly, the Germans are kicking ass.

You have to remember that we're talking about distinctly different markets (American, Oz, Europe, UK) and that does have an impact. My experience with German quality is that it is overrated and overpriced, although now that Mercedes has dumped Chrysler their quality rating is once again rising.

With Lexus, I think it's important to keep in mind that they're at heart Toyotas. Toyota is stodgy, the Buick of Japanese cars. They don't take big risks with styling or model development. You don't see them producing an Acura NSX or Nissan GTR. But when it comes to quality, fit and finish, smooth and quiet ride, the Germans can't come close. Part of that is philosophy. You have to sacrifice some handling to have a really smooth ride. Lexus makes that choice. German cars don't.

That being said, though, drive a new Lexus IS. It's really a beautiful machine. Is it as taught and crisp as a BMW 3 Series? Not quite. But it's a lot more comfortable, especially if your normal track is a freeway. Lexus obviously gave themselves a little permission to play with their smaller model, with the styling and suspension, and it shows.

I'm assuming that German cars are cheaper in Europe and the UK than Japanese ones. Most definitely not the case in the states.

Ahhh, how could I forget. Nobodies opinion counts but yours, right?

Lexus have produced nothing of note, IMO, in the last 10 years. Uninspiring is probably the best way to describe their cars. Just look at BMW, Audi, Mercedes - beautiful lines and amazing designs. Lexus for me, looks like a poor copy.

Ok, maybe I went too far calling them a pile of crap, but, unfortunately, they don't make 'em like they used to.

To your first statement, you are correct. Everything I say is correct. I'm a teenager.

Anyways - of course, American's find European designed cars attractive. Its luxurious, expensive and "everybody" is doing it. I see people driving BMW's that should not, just because they lease them and usually can't finish out the lease, etc etc. Lexus is pretty much like the Benz of the US. Its reasonably affordable for most and it has a sense of luxury that other models don't. Its pretty plain to see.

Now, you said they are over priced. Show me exact price comparisons to a cheaper BWM, Audi, than any of the Lexus models. Until then, your opinion is still zero.

To your first statement, you are correct. Everything I say is correct. I'm a teenager.

Anyways - of course, American's find European designed cars attractive. Its luxurious, expensive and "everybody" is doing it. I see people driving BMW's that should not, just because they lease them and usually can't finish out the lease, etc etc. Lexus is pretty much like the Benz of the US. Its reasonably affordable for most and it has a sense of luxury that other models don't. Its pretty plain to see.

Now, you said they are over priced. Show me exact price comparisons to a cheaper BWM, Audi, than any of the Lexus models. Until then, your opinion is still zero.

Base prices:

Audi A4: $31,000

Lexus IS: $31,305

Infiniti G: 33,250

BMW 3-Series: $33,600

Lexus ES 350: $34,470

Source: autos.msn.com side by side comparison. 2009 models used.

Base Prices:

Lexus GS: $45,000

Audi A6: $45,100

BMW 5-Series: $45,800

Source: autos.msn.com side by side comparison. 2009 models used.

You lose. Audi A4 is cheaper than the Lexus IS and the ES 350 (the comparable models).

I'm not saying the Lexus is overpriced, it is a well built car. I'm just saying the Audi A4 is more of a value in that bracket. Prices are basically equal for the GS/A6/5-series level as well.

Nice playing. ^.^

Blaming youth for arrogance doesn't become you.

The following prices are from the UK market place. Taken from official websites.

All the following are fully loaded, but the German models are not hybrid.

BMW X5 M Sport -

They are about 100 to 5k off the prices (going by your last post with Euro's Dragon) So no, they are not "overly" expensive like you stated.

If it was like this,

IS 09: 35.000

AUDI A4 09: 25.000

That's a huge price difference, above, not so much.

I win.

And the hybrid you listed are obviously far more expensive. Also - Tarin the ES would be comparable to the A6 I am almost certain. And Audi takes the price higher there than with the Lexus.

They are about 100 to 5k off the prices (going by your last post with Euro's Dragon) So no, they are not "overly" expensive like you stated.

If it was like this,

I win.

And the hybrid you listed are obviously far more expensive. Also - Tarin the ES would be comparable to the A6 I am almost certain. And Audi takes the price higher there than with the Lexus.

The prices were in pounds sterling not Euros.

The fact remains, there is a

If it was like this,

I win.

You are correct. ES = A6

IS = A4

I drive a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer with a big fat v8, crappy tires, beat down suspension and an exhaust leak.

It's got a pretty good stereo though. And I can't kill it - it's like Christine or something.

SUCK IT HATERZ

Yeah - I feel the mods are trying to ban me at any turn they can. But I'll car post, when I was in high school I drove a Honda! YEAH!

Quite a trade in, a Honda for a Lexus. :)

Well, after the accident last week my car's a write off. It won't surprise you to learn that I'll be looking at BMWs. :lol:

• 3 months later...
  • Site Administrator

I had the best truck ever. Dodge Ram 2500 Supercab with a V10 engine. Too bad I slammed it into a rocky embankement at 60 mph. Can we say completely totaled?! Thank goodness I didn't have to be cut out of the car from that car accident.