Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Changing Lanes Chapter 49

I love this chapter :D your safe for now yet again..

now they have to clear there names and lets see if Keithers and Brian find each other :)

B)......................It little matter of a certain (soon to be ex.) State department official, a (soon to be) Pulitzer prize reporter!! Over anxious arrest happy FBI agents. Then the rather subdued Helen in this chapter should negotiate twice the asking price $30 million from an embarrassed government.

Too bad for Scar the plane wasn't at 20,000 feet

Will the US do a search for bodies?

There is one matter not brought up, the Iranian government must be furious with the groups antics and I wonder if the danger has yet passed for our Heroes?

Most excellent chapter, CJ. Most satisfactory ending for a very rotten criminal.

One of my favorite lines (and one of the few humorous ones in a tense chapter):

"There were three," Eric replied, and then held up four fingers as he mumbled in a bitter tone. "Happy landings, Jerry."

For the first time in his life, his self-confidence deserted him...

I dare say his self-confidence was not the only thing to desert him. ROFLMAO.gif

It appears the goat may resolve all the cliffhangers by the end of the story, escape with his skin intact, and possibly be recognized for his feat.

A momentous chapter for sure! :2thumbs:

The ending was just so perfect - a flying lesson. :music:

I loved the way CJ stretched it out, too. So wonderfully satisfying! :D

Horst was perhaps not thinking clearly... how could poor Jerry learn to fly with only one arm? 0:)

I love this chapter :D your safe for now yet again..

now they have to clear there names and lets see if Keithers and Brian find each other :)

I was worried... There had been threats to my safety if another major character died, and one did.

It's so sad in a way... no more :jerry: signs. :(

This is definitely my favorite chapter! It's perfectly written and extremely exciting and just... Awesome! Well done CJames!!! :worship:

RIP - The Scar! :2thumbs:

Thanks! I wanted to be sure I got the ending right. :)

Jerry did sort of manage to talk his way out the door...

B)......................It little matter of a certain (soon to be ex.) State department official, a (soon to be) Pulitzer prize reporter!! Over anxious arrest happy FBI agents. Then the rather subdued Helen in this chapter should negotiate twice the asking price $30 million from an embarrassed government.

Too bad for Scar the plane wasn't at 20,000 feet

Will the US do a search for bodies?

There is one matter not brought up, the Iranian government must be furious with the groups antics and I wonder if the danger has yet passed for our Heroes?

That one matter will be in the story. ;)

And that Mr. Graeme, he of the prickly personality.... Maybe he'll move to Australia and take up Echidna Ranching? :sword:

Most excellent chapter, CJ. Most satisfactory ending for a very rotten criminal.

One of my favorite lines (and one of the few humorous ones in a tense chapter):

"There were three," Eric replied, and then held up four fingers as he mumbled in a bitter tone. "Happy landings, Jerry."

I dare say his self-confidence was not the only thing to desert him. ROFLMAO.gif

It appears the goat may resolve all the cliffhangers by the end of the story, escape with his skin intact, and possibly be recognized for his feat.

Eric wasn't exactly heartbroken at the prospect of Jerry's, ahhem, departure....

Eric and Brandon's crazy grenade ploy, while a failure, opened the door for the taking of the plane.

They still have a lot to deal with.... for one thing, where will they go? :)

BTW, in case there is any doubt; there were no vauge words at the end of the chapter. Jerry did not survive. Near the end of LTMP, he was hit by that bomb, and it said Vladimer exacted a measure of revenge. This time, no gray areas... it says in the text that he died.

And BTW, I COULD have had a cliffhanger if I'd cut the chapter earlier... Left Jerry in midair, no parachute. However, as we all know, I never use cliffhangers.. :ph34r:

Hey that ending for Jerry is just like Harrison Fords Air Force One!!

(Gen Graeme going to hound CJ on the wanted list.)

It would have been nice if Jerry landed in the volcano.

But to be left to die in the jungle - well alive enought for animals to eat him be just as fitting as hell.

I hope CJ has a fitting memoral for Jim and Linda

So I presume its going to be how their getting home and off the hook with Graeme

Finish the album and Eric proving to us he's changed lanes like marriage or opening his strippers club.

Hopefully the epilog isn't short and the last two chapters is very very very long

just to prove a trilogy isn't there.

Hey that ending for Jerry is just like Harrison Fords Air Force One!!

(Gen Graeme going to hound CJ on the wanted list.)

It would have been nice if Jerry landed in the volcano.

But to be left to die in the jungle - well alive enought for animals to eat him be just as fitting as hell.

I hope CJ has a fitting memoral for Jim and Linda

So I presume its going to be how their getting home and off the hook with Graeme

Finish the album and Eric proving to us he's changed lanes like marriage or opening his strippers club.

Hopefully the epilog isn't short and the last two chapters is very very very long

B).............Yeah, I had Jerry landing in the volcano too, I hope the US comes and retrieves bodies so that a memorial can be done for Jim & Linda & the Private. Maybe use a large spatula for Jerry and just heave ho into the lava flow, (maybe he is still alive!!!! :lmao:)

I just want to say, once more, how I appreciate this story. I didnt read any chapter in the last 6 weeks, but had the pleasure to read as a whole the last 10 chapters. Wow,as usual, CJames is surpassing himself in this last chapter :worship::worship: .

I must say I'm totally appalled at the lack of commiseration over The Scar's demise. I mean, this is a common nightmare, and apparently everybody rejoiced over the lengthy description of this actually happening to The Scar. If not for The Scar, where would Instinct be? Would General Bradson have been able to rescue his son? Would Felecia be in a position to take an early retirement if some prickly official doesn't have her in jail for a few consecutive terms?

I must say I'm totally appalled at the lack of commiseration over The Scar's demise. I mean, this is a common nightmare, and apparently everybody rejoiced over the lengthy description of this actually happening to The Scar. If not for The Scar, where would Instinct be? Would General Bradson have been able to rescue his son? Would Felecia be in a position to take an early retirement if some prickly official doesn't have her in jail for a few consecutive terms?

Lets not forget that Eric and Brandon have to face wrath of their respective significant others.

The two remaining chapters are full-sized, actually a big larger than normal. The epilogue is a little shorter than a chapter.

My current plan to to post the epilogue and final chapter together. Chapter 50 should appear next week, on schedule, barring more computer glitches and such. :)

B).............Yeah, I had Jerry landing in the volcano too, I hope the US comes and retrieves bodies so that a memorial can be done for Jim & Linda & the Private. Maybe use a large spatula for Jerry and just heave ho into the lava flow, (maybe he is still alive!!!! :lmao:)

Poor, misunderstood Jerry. :ph34r:

This was my one of my favorite chapters in this story. Well done CJ! worshippy.gif It was superbly written. I couldn't seem to pull my eyes away from the screen.

Thanks!! :)

I just want to say, once more, how I appreciate this story. I didnt read any chapter in the last 6 weeks, but had the pleasure to read as a whole the last 10 chapters. Wow,as usual, CJames is surpassing himself in this last chapter :worship::worship: .

Thanks Old Bob! It was an interesting chapter to write. The setup for it was earlier in the story, when Horst gave a "flying lesson" to the cook, for being a spy. I've been worried, ever since, that someone would figure out why I covered the spy's plunge so closely. :)

Now that the immediate danger has been dealt with, let's not forget that Eric and Brandon are still in hot water.

VERY hot water, I'd think. They might be safer in the volcano. :)

Lets not forget that Eric and Brandon have to face wrath of their respective significant others.

Helen might be not overly please with them, too. :)

Yes, good point! Though, I recognize that you might have a soft spot for your former employer, your points about Jerry are quite sound.

Who gave Brandon and Chase the push that got them together (including sending them a bottle of champaign?) Jerry did!

We set up a great deal on shipping for Instinct? Jerry did!

Who took the guys shopping at the mall? Jerry did!

Who got them there fantastic promotional deal for their Australian tour? Jerry did!

Whose son was Instinct's first lead singer? Jerry's!

Who facilitated the reunion of the British industrialist (who manufactured Kryton switches) and his daughter, by sending her back to him? Jerry did!

Who was kind enough to lend Eric an electric mobility scooter when he broke his ankle? Jerry did!

Who was kind-hearted enough to hold many charity events? Jerry!

Who solved Toowoomba's traffic-congestion problem? Jerry did!

Who enabled the General to rescue his son? Jerry did!

Who saved the Atlantic Basin from the greatest natural disaster in human history? Jerry did!

Time and time again, it's been Jerry to the rescue! Yet, will no one shed a tear for his horrific demise? Will no one raise the :jerry: emoticon, one last and final time, in a last, heartfelt salute for all that he's done?

Poor, misunderstood Jerry... :(

• Site Administrator

Sorry I'm late, but thank you very much for the chapter CJ thumbsupsmileyanim.gif (plus many thanks for all the chapters that I missed saying thanks for ).

Well, in a way I'm sorry that Jerry is gone. First off by offing such a major character in both LTMP and Cliff, I feel that it is indeed an end to the series as there is no major villain left. So yes we have closure to Jerry's death, but we essentially have a death of the story too sad.gif .

I have to say I feel sorry for CJ. I'm sure killing off Jerry was not an easy thing for him to do. After all it is quite apparent that CJ took a lot of pride in writing his villain and maybe even could relate to Jerry himself laugh.gif . Let's hope that this is as far as CJ takes any 'real' Jerry actions. Writing them done is quite enough nuke.gifnuke.gifnuke.gif .

Now remember I'm still being heavily medicated before you read this following bit. I am going to miss Jerry Clump. Ever since his first introduction in LTMP, he grew on me. NOT necessarily in a positive way, but in a way that the story would not really be complete unless he was in it. And as CJ points out, so much in the story would not have happened if it wasn't for Jerry. He has definitely been a main player in the two stories.jerry.gif

Okay, feel free to throw your rotten tomatoes and such, but hey, it is just my opinion tongue.gif .

Thanks again,

Steve cool.gif

I have to say I feel sorry for CJ. I'm sure killing off Jerry was not an easy thing for him to do. After all it is quite apparent that CJ took a lot of pride in writing his villain and maybe even could relate to Jerry himself laugh.gif .

Steve cool.gif

You could be right, Steve, but I'm not so sure. I could see Cliff being a little tired of Jerry...not that any weariness was apparent in his writing. But an author can carry a bad guy only so far. When you get right down to it, the Scar was a one trick pony. Nuclear detonations for fun and profit...that's it. That's all that Jerry ever did. Anything and everything revealed in the two stories that Jerry did...charity fundraisers, motorized wheelchair for a critically ill boy, logistics management for Instinct...all that was to further his acquisition of nuclear weapons and extortion of the US government.

I say good riddance and suspect CJ may feel the same way. Why don't you take a couple of pills and get back with us in the morning. :P Just kidding; hope you are feeling better.

Sorry I'm late, but thank you very much for the chapter CJ thumbsupsmileyanim.gif (plus many thanks for all the chapters that I missed saying thanks for ).

Well, in a way I'm sorry that Jerry is gone. First off by offing such a major character in both LTMP and Cliff, I feel that it is indeed an end to the series as there is no major villain left. So yes we have closure to Jerry's death, but we essentially have a death of the story too sad.gif .

I have to say I feel sorry for CJ. I'm sure killing off Jerry was not an easy thing for him to do. After all it is quite apparent that CJ took a lot of pride in writing his villain and maybe even could relate to Jerry himself laugh.gif . Let's hope that this is as far as CJ takes any 'real' Jerry actions. Writing them done is quite enough nuke.gifnuke.gifnuke.gif .

Now remember I'm still being heavily medicated before you read this following bit. I am going to miss Jerry Clump. Ever since his first introduction in LTMP, he grew on me. NOT necessarily in a positive way, but in a way that the story would not really be complete unless he was in it. And as CJ points out, so much in the story would not have happened if it wasn't for Jerry. He has definitely been a main player in the two stories.jerry.gif

Okay, feel free to throw your rotten tomatoes and such, but hey, it is just my opinion tongue.gif .

Thanks again,

Steve cool.gif

Hi Steve!!!!!

Thank you!!!

Well, I think you hit the nail on the head. Jerry was very much a central character to LTMP and Changing Lanes, every bit as much as the members of Instinct. It was hard seeing Jerry die... because, in a very real sense, that was, for me, the beginning of the last chapters of Changing Lanes. I've lived in the LTMP and Changing Lanes world for almost two years now. Its hard to say goodbye, so the ending of Changing Lanes was... a strange feeling for me.

Jerry was, in many ways, one of my favorite characters. He was complex; he had his foibles, and his flaws, but he was never dull. You could always count on him to liven things up a bit, such as by murdering a road boss, or taking out a contract on Instinct. He was very much like me in at least two ways; he had a love of irony, and also of nuclear weaponry. So, yes, in part, he was based on aspects of my own personality, probably moreso (with one exception) than any other character in LTMP or Changing Lanes. However, there is one other character in LTMP and Changing Lanes who is a closer to me in personality and temperament. I'll bet that no one can guess who it is. (and yes, I will say who, after some guesses have been given) :)

You could be right, Steve, but I'm not so sure. I could see Cliff being a little tired of Jerry...not that any weariness was apparent in his writing. But an author can carry a bad guy only so far. When you get right down to it, the Scar was a one trick pony. Nuclear detonations for fun and profit...that's it. That's all that Jerry ever did. Anything and everything revealed in the two stories that Jerry did...charity fundraisers, motorized wheelchair for a critically ill boy, logistics management for Instinct...all that was to further his acquisition of nuclear weapons and extortion of the US government.

I say good riddance and suspect CJ may feel the same way. Why don't you take a couple of pills and get back with us in the morning. :P Just kidding; hope you are feeling better.

I must disagree with His Amphibiousness here. Jerry did far more than nuclear detonations for fun and profit. He did have a taste for revenge (even the non-nuclear variety... look at how often he wanted to kill Eric), and what of his love of irony? He loved, it, in fact savored it. It was his preferred form of humor. And what of his penchant for melodramatics? And don't forget, he saved the entire Atlantic Basin!

I do agree that he was overly focused on his nuclear ambitions, but that just made him industrious. Okay, a bit of a workaholic. Poor, misunderstood :jerry:

0:)

. However, there is one other character in LTMP and Changing Lanes who is a closer to me in personality and temperament. I'll bet that no one can guess who it is. (and yes, I will say who, after some guesses have been given) :)

B)................... Helen???????????? :lmao:

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..