Musicians Who Died Too Soon

So I was just thinking about this. Sublime is among my all-time favorite bands, but they'll never produce anything new, because Bradley Nowell died of a heroin overdose. Then of course there's Nirvana. Curt Cobain committed suicide. Though one could tell through his lyrics that he was a troubled soul, it's still sad to think that I've already outlived him. Then there's one of the most tragic ever in Selena Quintanilla, who was brutally murdered before she was 25. Their voices are forever immortalized, but they are no longer among us. It's sad when you think about it. They all died young. Michael Jackson died way to young as well even though he was around twice the age of the others I mentioned. Does anyone else wish that these awesome musicians were still alive today?

I'm not terribly familiar with Sublime or Selena. I liked Nirvana though. MJ was also good. Of course I wish they were still here, it's sad when anyone dies young.

It's really sad when you think about artists that died young, we talk about that all the time in my art history class, if they were that good while they were young think of how great they could have become...

Gr

Here's a partial list:

Ritchie Valens 17 aircraft crash

Sid Vicious 21 Overdosed on heroin

Eddie Cochran 21 Car crash

Buddy Holly 22 Plane crash

Aaliyah 22 Plane crash

Ian Curtis 23 Suicide (hanging)

Tupac Shakur 25 Murdered (shot)

Janis Joplin 27 Overdosed on heroin

Kurt Cobain 27 Suicide (shot himself)

Brian Jones 27 Drowned

Jim Morrison 27 Officially recorded as a heart attack (various cases of death have been offered including drug overdose, respiratory illness and natural causes)

Jimi Hendrix 27 Believed to have asphyxiated on his own vomit after drinking wine and taking sleeping pills

Marc Bolan 29 Car crash

Jeff Buckley 30 Drowned

Patsy Cline 30 Plane crash

Karen Carpenter 32 Heart failure (due to anorexia)

Keith Moon 32 Overdosed on anti-seizure medication taken as part of an alcohol treatment programme

Elvis Presley 42 Heart attack

John Lennon 40 Murdered (shot)

Marvin Gaye 44 Shot by father during argument

Freddie Mercury 45 Aids

Frank Zappa 52 Cancer

John Entwistle 57 Overdosed on cocaine

Ian Dury 57 Cancer

George Harrison 58 Cancer

Dusty Springfield 59 Cancer

That is quite a long list. Some of them were really talented too. Their songs have by far outlived them, and people still listen to their music. Ironically, you sometimes forget that they are dead. You find yourself getting absorbed into the melodies. Has anyone else not thought about the fact the the person is no longer alive when listening to them?

Stevie Ray Vaughan----Helicopter crash leaving his last show in Alpine Valley in East Troy, WI. RIP Stevie

That is quite a long list. Some of them were really talented too. Their songs have by far outlived them, and people still listen to their music. Ironically, you sometimes forget that they are dead. You find yourself getting absorbed into the melodies. Has anyone else not thought about the fact the the person is no longer alive when listening to them?

I have one DVD of SRV performing at Austin City Limits. It an awesome DVD... But I have a hard time watching it, Because at the end if it the music stops. And that's sad. Because he's not alive to make any more :(

Here's a partial list:

Ritchie Valens 17 aircraft crash

Sid Vicious 21 Overdosed on heroin

Eddie Cochran 21 Car crash

Buddy Holly 22 Plane crash

Aaliyah 22 Plane crash

Ian Curtis 23 Suicide (hanging)

Tupac Shakur 25 Murdered (shot)

Janis Joplin 27 Overdosed on heroin

Kurt Cobain 27 Suicide (shot himself)

Brian Jones 27 Drowned

Jim Morrison 27 Officially recorded as a heart attack (various cases of death have been offered including drug overdose, respiratory illness and natural causes)

Jimi Hendrix 27 Believed to have asphyxiated on his own vomit after drinking wine and taking sleeping pills

Marc Bolan 29 Car crash

Jeff Buckley 30 Drowned

Patsy Cline 30 Plane crash

Karen Carpenter 32 Heart failure (due to anorexia)

Keith Moon 32 Overdosed on anti-seizure medication taken as part of an alcohol treatment programme

Elvis Presley 42 Heart attack

John Lennon 40 Murdered (shot)

Marvin Gaye 44 Shot by father during argument

Freddie Mercury 45 Aids

Frank Zappa 52 Cancer

John Entwistle 57 Overdosed on cocaine

Ian Dury 57 Cancer

George Harrison 58 Cancer

Dusty Springfield 59 Cancer

Quite a few that left too soon. Hendrix and Morrison are probably the most significant to me.

Another important person not on the list: Mama Cass, age 32, from a heart attack. Watch the movie "Beautiful Thing" (probably my favorite "gay" movie) and you get a feel for the amazing talent of this woman.

John 'Bonzo' Bonham 32 (Led Zeppelin) - Believed to have asphyxiated on his own vomit after drinking vodka

Randy Rhoads 25 (Quiet Riot, Ozzy Osbourne) - Plane Crash

Bon Scott 33 (AC/DC) - Believed to have asphyxiated on his own vomit after drinking

Kelly Johnson 49 (Girlschool) - Cancer

Glen Miller 40 - missing, presumed dead.

Brian Jones 27 - drowned in swimming pool

Charlie Parker 34 - bleeding ulcer

Bob Marley 36 - melanoma

here here, Glen Miller Charlie Parker...giants in any age

this got me thinking,

then I saw lists

then I made one

Billie Holiday 44 drugs

Judy Garland 47 drugs

Jim Croce 30 - plane crash

Sam Cooke 33 - shot to death

Marilyn Monroe 36 - probable suicide

Nico (Warhol, Velvet Underground) 49 - bicylcing accident

Donny Hathaway 33- suicide

Bessie Smith "Empress of the Blues" 43 - car accident

Sandy Denny 31 - injuries from a fall

Laura Nyro 49 - cancer

Phil Ochs 35 - suicide

George Gershwin 38 - brain tumor

Billy Strayhorn 51 - cancer

Lorenz "Larry" Hart 48 - alcoholism

now I am totally bummed out.

oh, and it's Monday and it's raining...

and my feet are cold

:(

one (at least for me) VERY important guy is missing...

Jaco Pastorius - one of the (dare i say THE) most important/influential electric bass players in rock/pop/jazz ... died at 35 - definitely way too early.

hmm, and

Michael Brecker - 57 is too young to die

and of course

Miles Davis - well, he was 65 when he died.. but i am sure he still had lots of great music to play (saw him live on his last tour in March 91.. and it was an awesome concert !)

the other musicians that died too early and that i miss haven been pretty much listed - most important for me Hendrix, Morrison, Marley, Lennon, Zappa....

Edited by YaP

Glenn Miller 40 - missing, presumed dead.

For those of you who don't know, this was in 1944, near the end of WW II, when Paris had been liberated and he was flying there from London. He had volunteered for the military, and was eventually allowed to form a band in the Army Air Corps, as it was then.

Coincidentally, a couple of weeks ago I heard on the radio a recording of the ending of his last civilian radio show. A few years back I heard part of a propaganda recording he made to broadcast to the Germans. He tried speaking some of it in German.

My parents were really into his music, and I heard it a lot when I was little, and before long they told me about his service to his country.

• 3 weeks later...

Glen Miller 40 - missing, presumed dead.

Charlie Parker 34 - bleeding ulcer

On a cold & rainy night

One Mister Miller had a rare flight

Glen was up there boppin' a rhythm

Then the engine stopped to listen with him

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=HkgvyYuSTWA

Yes indeed he did, Yes he did Parker played in Birdland

Yes he really did

Yes indeed he really did told the truth way down in Birdland

Yes indeed he did, Yardbird Parker played in Birdland

Yes indeed he really did, Charlie Parker played in Birdland

Edited by PrivateTim