Choice by Rilbur Skryler

• Site Administrator

Choice by Rilbur Skryler

Zachary was a goody-two shoes born and bred. He'd never break a rule, or a confidence. And now he faces two 'right' choices, between duty to the law and duty to his friend. Whatever decision he makes, there will be no going back.

:nuke: :nuke: Spoilers Below!!! :nuke: :nuke:

Well, does the anthology qualify for the cliff hanger award. I think this will make Rilbur, the King of Cliff-Hangers.

Bye the way what is the answer!? Your public must KNOW.

:lol:................... The choice is obvious, he needs to save Robert's life! I don't think Robert is guilty of anything other then being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Robert said 'they are after him' .....'trying to kill me' And the sheriff did not say that the cop's shot Robert, all they have is him running from the scene, where shot's were fired and a raped and murdered landlady was found. Plus the condom wrapper made no sense to Zachary, he knows something also. Great cliffhanger!!!! :2thumbs:

YIKES! I wasn't expecting the anthology to go live early! Excuse me while I scamper around like I've had my head chopped-off and get all the content lined up for my personal website's grand-opening!

Anyway I'm glad you guys liked the story. And you're completely right about it being a cliff-hanger; that one was major thing that held me back on the idea of posting it. But... I kinda liked the 'unresolved' ending, so I decided to keep it. I don't want to say too much, and potentially ruin the suspense of the next story, but there are a number of hints dropped here and there that tell you quite a bit about this story. I just don't come right out and say anything about them, I only hint around the edges. The condom line was one of them; there are a few others. Taken individually they don't say much, but if you look at the entire set, they really add up. And they add up to a great, big, 'not-guilty' -- which, I do believe, Zachary already mentioned for me :D

Anyway, for those wanting to know the 'right choice', I think I can make a legitimate case for Zachary to be 'haunted' (showing emotional affliction or disquiet) over various things. And... the 2010 winter Anthology theme is haunted, I do believe. I seriously do not want to wait for 'people are strange' (2011 spring anthology) to do 'Decision'.

My biggest concern is how big 'Decision' could get; there's a lot of possible story for it, and I may wind up deciding that, in order to do it justice, I have to do it as a full-up story rather than a short-story. Of course, 'People Are Strange' and "walk on the wild Side' both offer the chance to post additional 'chapters' to Decision...

Anyway, the basic point is that while this story stands 'on its own' as a short, with an ending that lets the reader decide what happens from here, I do know what the canonical decision is. I'm not going to reveal it at this time, for reasons that will one day become obvious (I hope). Of course, as Benji states, his decision is obvious: he needs to save Robert's life. After all, saving his friends life is the 'right' thing to do!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get going before someone points out that the problem is how; going to the hospital will get the cops involved, and Robert has warned him that that would get him killed!

• Site Administrator

Okay you suck!!! You are telling us we have to wait 3 months minimum to find out what his choice was specifically? We know he's doing the right thing but Robert doesn't necessarily get to live, no matter what he does. You have all the mystery of the crime, why the policewoman is so personally involved as to be that virulent toward a stranger who might know something, who 'they' are, if Robert knows something... sooo much I want to know. I don't think I like you making me wait this long for a story this good. Can I bribe you give me a sneak peek? Chocolate, shirtless guys or girls, the threat of a good swift kick in the butt or online stalker routine?? Grrr...

Well... if you guys REALLY want some information... we can play a little game.

You get one point for every 'clue' you find, and another point if you can figure out the correct interpretation. For some interpretations, I'll award extra points, simply because they aren't easy to figure out. (E. g. if you can figure out why the condom wrapper is important, you earn yourself 5 points -- for being a very good guesser; the information isn't in the story). Benji has earned one point for bringing up the condom wrapper already.

As the number of 'hints' are added up, their meaning will become increasingly apparent.

I'll give it, oh, two weeks sound fair? At the end of that time period, the leader in points will, after swearing on their immortal soul not to divulge the information, being 'clued in' on the secret.

To give you guys a starting place, the clues all indicate a set of very important information, which help reshape the entire meaning of the story. The information is in three parts, with the third part informing the other two. (I. e. once you have the third, the first two are obvious, implied by the third).

Clues:

Condom Wrapper: Unknown meaning

Score:

Benji: 1

Edited by Rilbur
Who would rape a person with a condom, is that what it meant?

Anyone who didn't want to leave DNA evidence behind :P

Perhaps a hint is in order...

I'm rather surprised that no one has picked up on any of the other 'hidden' comments; this board is one of the place I'd expect to be most sensitive to them, almost to the degree of expecting them.

A lot of the comments were pretty subtle; if no one gets anything after a while I may extend the deadline and post blatantly a part of what they add up to. After which I suspect the totality will become apparent, even as some specific details continue to make no sense. (For example, the true importance of the condom, which in and of itself strongly suggests Richard's innocence).

As far as the condom is concerned, just as SOON as it made it's appearence in the story I said aloud: "Zachary and Robert are *GAY*! Yes? No wonder Zach is positive that Robert is innocent.

Any other clues must have been lost to me due to the lack of color contrast between the background and the type. *downs eight asprin tabs*. Don't hate me--just sayin'.

All in all, it is a fun piece to read.

Thanks, Rilbur.

As far as the condom is concerned, just as SOON as it made it's appearence in the story I said aloud: "Zachary and Robert are *GAY*! Yes? No wonder Zach is positive that Robert is innocent.

Any other clues must have been lost to me due to the lack of color contrast between the background and the type. *downs eight asprin tabs*. Don't hate me--just sayin'.

All in all, it is a fun piece to read.

Thanks, Rilbur.

You know what, I'll just say it aloud: the condom line is because Robert is allergic to latex. Severely allergic. (Something that, amusingly enough, can turn up on a routine physical...)

That said, I'm sorry on the formatting thing. I've toned the color on my personal website down a few notches, and made a few other minor changes that have improved it, but there isn't a lot I can do with this piece. Unfortunately, I don't have an issue with it on my end (high-end computer monitors: good idea! :D ), so I didn't realize it would be an issue.

You know what, I'll just say it aloud: the condom line is because Robert is allergic to latex. Severely allergic. (Something that, amusingly enough, can turn up on a routine physical...)

That said, I'm sorry on the formatting thing. I've toned the color on my personal website down a few notches, and made a few other minor changes that have improved it, but there isn't a lot I can do with this piece. Unfortunately, I don't have an issue with it on my end (high-end computer monitors: good idea! :D ), so I didn't realize it would be an issue.

:( :( :( sorry, dude! (please note the comma)

Hrm... guess the contest idea was a flop. So... since the fact that they are gay and in a relationship is already out, I guess that's that.

I'm currently writing 'decision', unfortunately I'm not sure it'll really form a second short story like I'd originally intended/hoped. (And on top of that, I've got an even better short story now). So... I'm probably going to have to take 'Choice' and turn it into the first chapter of a larger story. Which in some ways is good; no one is going to believe some of the plot twists I already have planned, and more room to execute them in will make them even better.

As for what Zachary is going to decide to do... Well, I framed the question very, very, very carefully. Call the cops, or don't call anyone.

(Edit: And yes, this is an official notification that I'm not going to write a second short story for these guys. They may show up in a novel length piece later. Maybe. But not another short)

Edited by Rilbur

Hrm... guess the contest idea was a flop. So... since the fact that they are gay and in a relationship is already out, I guess that's that.

I'm currently writing 'decision', unfortunately I'm not sure it'll really form a second short story like I'd originally intended/hoped. (And on top of that, I've got an even better short story now). So... I'm probably going to have to take 'Choice' and turn it into the first chapter of a larger story. Which in some ways is good; no one is going to believe some of the plot twists I already have planned, and more room to execute them in will make them even better.

As for what Zachary is going to decide to do... Well, I framed the question very, very, very carefully. Call the cops, or don't call anyone.

(Edit: And yes, this is an official notification that I'm not going to write a second short story for these guys. They may show up in a novel length piece later. Maybe. But not another short)

B)........Hehe! Maybe I could not see these two guys were in a gay relationship at all. They were not even living in the same town, as for calling the cops! Nope call an ambulance, let the chips fly when they do with the cops. Although the story stands alone as short story, it was left with a cliffhanger that begs for a finish.

They were not even living in the same town

Hrm... should I say something, or should I not... decisions, decisions...

Factoid: Zachary's mother died about six months prior, and he's been trying to sell the house ever since. (Without success).

Factoid: The closest college is in the city, which is long enough of a drive that commuting isn't practical on Robert's budget.