Looking for new stuff

Former Member

Hey guys. i'm looking for some good high school/ college stuff, and i've read everything on the top ten lists, and the popular stuff (american differences, etc.). I'm looking for something that'll take a while to read too, but that's not totally neccessary. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Edited by hornyJess

Hey guys. i'm looking for some good high school/ college stuff, and i've read everything on the top ten lists, and the popular stuff (american differences, etc.). I'm looking for something that'll take a while to read too, but that's not totally neccessary. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I like your taste in popular stuff wink.gif

There's tonnes of good highschool/college stories on GA. Some of my favourites are written by DomLuka.

Viv also has another favourite of mine, 'From Behind Those Eyes'.

They should keep you going for a while. biggrin.gif

• Like 3

A couple that aren't finished but are excellent:

Fraternity Memoirs, by John Walsh. The story that got me into the genre, but will probably never be finished. I linked you to the yahoo group because in the files section are some conversations with John about how things worked out, a nice epilogue, as it were.

Crosscurrents, by Adam Phillips. This story just seems like it will never get done.tongue.gif

First off is a story by Brew Maxwell at: http://www.crvboy.org/authors.html

scroll down to Maxwell, Brew and you will see Foley Mashburn Saga ~~~ or ~~~ 'Tim" starts here:

http://www.crvboy.or...well/t/c01.html

This is the first 'book' of a 9 book story. Some 210 chapters in all. Very well written and an awesome story

that will just pull you in.

Also the Aurora series by John Ellison is another excellant story hosted at:

http://www.nifty.org...ntom-of-aurora/ This is a gourmet story for Nifty!! A very well written story in 5 books with many chapters over 200k so it is an awesomely long read. It's based during a 'Canadian/naval summer camp' of teenaged boys -- kind of a 'Sea scout, naval military, indoctrination' story.

Extremely well written story with a very strong plot line. Phantom of Aurora is an entirely new approach to a teen sexual story, yet the story is NOT entirely based on sex. I highly recommend reading this!!!!!!

The very sad side is that John Ellison died shortly after FINISHING this story -- so there will be no more stories in the future. But, Aurora was an awesome ending to his story telling.

Here's something I posted for another member looking for stories:

I usually look for stories with characters who are in their late teens. If that's not your cup of tea, you might not enjoy these then. :)

Here are some of the stories I've read and enjoyed. This is a non-exhaustive list and includes mostly what I just saw as I browsed now.

Compilations/Series or Preferred Authors:

All of Dom Luka's Stories - Enough said. I'd recommend starting with Dessert Dropping.

Most of dkstories's Stories - Mostly Sci-Fi.

Cole Parker's Stories - I've only read Tim and Duck Duck Goose and they were ok.

Josh Aterovis' Stories - This one's a Mystery writer. I generally don't like mystery stories but his were okay. All his stories can be found in nifty. Start with Bleeding Hearts.

All of Grasshopper's Stories - He has moving stories about the disability and discrimination. Start with Just Hit Send.

What We Are (and the sequel) - An accident involving a hockey puck and a young man in a hurry to get to swim practice results in an unlikely friendship between four boys. (One of the first few stories I've read and one I wished was continued. Or, I wish the author wrote other stories too.)

Carter's Shadow - Note, some of the characters will make more sense if you read the first two books. The link here is the third book in the series and the one I enjoyed the most. You might be able to read it as a stand alone as the main character changes in the third book.

Individual Stories:

Christopher's Story - Set in Illinois, the teenager survives divorce and abuse to become a gifted artist.

Shane - Shane is a lonely, extremely poor 15 year old. He is abused by his family, and picked on at school. Follow him on his journey from the depths of despair to finding a loving home and boyfriend .

Someday Out of the Blue - Connor Matthews, a shy boy who comes from an abusive family is accidentally hit in the head by a lacrosse ball one day, which leads him to meet Ryan, an attractive redhead, and his younger brother, Toby. Connor gradually learns to come out of his shell, but not without some traumatic experiences along the way.

Educating Alex- I don't quite remember why but I think i liked this. lol

Laika - Brandon is a quiet Sophomore who just wants to keep to himself. When he starts getting signals from both a preacher's son and a punk-rocker, his life becomes something he never imagined. What follows is a funny and touching story about a confused boy finding his way through life.(Loved the character development though the ending leaves something more to be desired.)

Leaves and Lunatics - by EleCivil

Pocketful of Stars - About a kid figuring out how to deal with his homosexuality.

You might like to try A Special Place by Sequoyah. I didn't get to finish it. It felt like it dragged on too long at the end. But the vast majority of the story was quite captivating.

You might also want to check out the Best of Nifty and the Net if you want to browse through their stories.

Looks like some of the links may not have been copied over. If you need more info on where to find them, just message me.

EDIT: I added them but there was an issue with formatting so they look bigger.

EDIT 2: Added links didn't work. Haha. Sorry. They're mostly here on GA. If they aren't, I usually point where they are.

• Like 1

I've a high school romantic drama here at GA, In the Beginning: Day and Night Blurb: Shy sophomore Ran Michaelson wasn't enjoying life at his new high school until he met upperclassman Tommy O'Rear, whose mysterious air and knowing eyes lead him down the path to self-awareness and sexual satisfaction. This part is complete with also a stand-alone flash fiction after the main story ends. As the story progresses in "Into the Sunset", we revisit Ran and Tommy as adults who've drifted apart. Into the Sunset

• Site Administrator

There's a thread in the Story Cafe: Recommended college-based stories. Lots of suggestions there :)

And on long high school based stories, I'd suggest the stories by Dewey over at DeweyWriter. The first four novels are linked and can be treated as one long saga.

I'll recommend Don Hanratty's Working It Out here at GA.

Long enough to keep you reading a while and, of all those I've read that fits under high school/college category, I love it so much I'll always go back to it.

this^^^

plenty to get into, so set aside time to read it

with a bit of a tidy-up, its publishable

Can I nominate my own story? *sees no one argue* I guess I can.

Black Star Cross

It's set in a high school (though a lot of it tends to take place outside the school itself, especially recently), the main charcaters are seniors in high school, and tomorrow I'll be posting Chapter 35...out of 50+ chapters. Chapters themselves aren't 20,000 words long, but I've been told that just reading half the story is a day-long activity. I'm my own worst critic, so what I think of the story is probably not valid, but I guess over 150 reviews says that the story's at least passable. I wrote it to counter a lot of porrly written gay high school fics that I've read in the past, so there's plenty of twists and turns to keep you occupied.

I also agree with all the suggestions about (especially the ones suggesting DomLuka).