Earth like planet discovered

• Site Administrator

To play the web blanket... all they've discovered is a planet that is in the 'sweet zone' where liquid water is a possibility. The planet itself is three times that of Earth, so a Venus-type planet is probably just as likely as an Earth-type planet.

However, this does make that star system a prime candidate for any interstellar probes. Time to bring out the automated light-sail probe design and send one off as soon as possible. NASA needs something inspiring to do, and I think this would do it. Even if it takes a hundred years to get any feedback :)

EDIT FOR CORRECTION:

The press release from the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa indicates that they believe the planet is 30% larger than the Earth, but three to four times the mass. That's not three times that of Earth as I original said, though the gravity could be close to three times that of Earth's.

Edited by Graeme

EDIT FOR CORRECTION:

The press release from the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa indicates that they believe the planet is 30% larger than the Earth, but three to four times the mass. That's not three times that of Earth as I original said, though the gravity could be close to three times that of Earth's.

LOL! I am so glad, Graeme, you made that correction - here I was all prepared fora "planet" 30% larger than earth and I now know I would have been woefully underprepared! :D

• Site Administrator

Maybe don't pack quite yet.....

Saw this in the newspaper today:

The astronomer said it was 20 light years away, has a gravity which could support an atmosphere and has a temperate zone which probably has water and could support life. Somewhat interesting, but we

James, I know you like SciFi and curious if you believe that we may see a 'Star Trek' type of vessel in our life time that can travel faster than the speed of light?

When it comes to technology, never say never.

We have seen the birth and rise to prominence of the Internet within our lifetime. It happened so fast and was so pervasive that it has completely changed the way we live, do business and work.

It's hard to take a person serious that does not have an email address or a business that does not have a web site.

Technology has an amazing power to transform things in a very short period of time.

It moves quickly in jumps, starts and leaps in completely unexpected directions.

When it comes to technology, never say never.

We have seen the birth and rise to prominence of the Internet within our lifetime. It happened so fast and was so pervasive that it has completely changed the way we live, do business and work.

It's hard to take a person serious that does not have an email address or a business that does not have a web site.

Technology has an amazing power to transform things in a very short period of time.

It moves quickly in jumps, starts and leaps in completely unexpected directions.

Very true James, very true indeed. I would definitely say that the transportation aspect is the greatest hurdle, but you never know. I dont think it will be for awhile though, the scope and scale of space is simply mindboggling. Its hard to build on a scale that you cannot really experience (at least not yet)

It's really cool how they find these planets. They can't see them, they can only see the sun, so they find the planets by watching for the sun to blink when the planet crosses in front of it or from measuring how the sun wobbles due to a planet's gravitational forces pulling it around as it orbits. Space exploration is so fascinating!