Sexual Behavior Survey

Indiana University has just released its National Survey of Sexual Health and Behavior. It is a survey of nearly 6,000 Americans of all ages concerning their sexual activity. The graph of sexual behavior may be of most interest. It shows the percentage of people by gender and age group who participated in various forms of sex. Another graph shows condom use by age and gender. Kudos to teens.

• Site Administrator

What's interesting to me is the figures that indicate gay sex (giving oral and receiving anal -- the giving anal to same sex is not separated out). There's debate from time to time about homosexuality percentages. This survey indicates that the percentage of men who have had gay sex is at least 4-5% of the population. Not the 1-2% that some people claim, and not the 10% that others claim, but right in the middle of that range :)

Of course, because the giving anal to and receiving oral from other men percentages are not separated out, the percentage could be higher. Then again, some of those would have been just experimentation rather than regular practise, so I'm happy to take a figure of 5% as being in the right ballpark :D

In other sources I was under the impression that bare-backing is on the return ... and they don't realize its risky and dangerous ... the Russian roulette. Did anyone hear this?

1 in 20 isn't that bad a number. Not as 'good' as 1 in 10, but... I guess we have to let the woman have some of the good looking guys.

Edit:

Every man who said they didn't masturbate alone is a god damn lier!

Couldn't let that one lie there, unanswered. There are three major problems with this.

First, not all males have a strong sex drive; there are occasional individuals who don't. (Meh, so small a percentage I'll grant you them).

Second, it is possible for someone to satiate their sexual needs with a partner, and therefore not engage in masturbation.

Third, not everyone learns early. Some people might not learn until after they graduate high-school, right around the time they turned nineteen for example. (*cough*, slow learner, I know, but there were reasons that probably tie into some 'medical' concerns that came up later *cough*) This third group would really benefit from improved sex ed in schools!

Edited by Rilbur

There two things ... the families that don't encourage sex or relationship until after high school or college

and then the ones that know they can't stop Romeo and Juliet form capitulating

Life finds a way for each human being or couple .... like you said some sooner and some later and then some never.

We need another Survey!!!

Third, not everyone learns early. Some people might not learn until after they graduate high-school, right around the time they turned nineteen for example. (*cough*, slow learner, I know, but there were reasons that probably tie into some 'medical' concerns that came up later *cough*) This third group would really benefit from improved sex ed in schools!

the high percentage of condom use among the young fits in with the annecdotal evidence of my two sons (now 23 & 26) and their friends /cohort. I am not sure whether it was school, friends, or the attempts by their father to guide them , but I am astounded by the level of understanding of the need for protection, the dangers of drink-driving and issues around recreational drugs. Now neither of my boys are angels (far bloody from it), but them and their mates seem to have a FAR more mature approach to these issues than, dare I say it, I did at that age. it does give me some hope for the future......

Edited by Canuk

I would be interested in the methodology used to get the information. The numbers on the sexual activity of teens, especially the boys, seems low and out of sync with other surveys on sexual behaviors and with what I've observed anecdotally in my exposure to teens. In fact, the age at which teens become sexually active seems to drop every year.

I would be interested in the methodology used to get the information. The numbers on the sexual activity of teens, especially the boys, seems low and out of sync with other surveys on sexual behaviors and with what I've observed anecdotally in my exposure to teens. In fact, the age at which teens become sexually active seems to drop every year.

That's why I said there was some serious lying going on.

• 2 weeks later...

The condom use chart only specified over 10 and vaginal penetration only.

Beside leaving out the gays, it also eliminates have of the people from West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky and we won't even talk about the deep south and what about the herds of 3rd grade ugly sheep! :sheep:

I think even if you have a partner, solo masturbation is still lots of fun.

I personally don't like condoms but I encourage every one to use them, why die young, be sick etc.?

I know of 11 years old that have had sex. That's so wrong , it's not even funny.

How can you say sex is either oral or anal/vaginal? Sex is penetrative and not in the mouth either. Oral sex is not 'real' sex, it's foreplay. Even if that's ALL you do. So if you've never had anal/vaginal sex you are still a virgin basically. And I'm not putting oral sex down if that 's all you do, that's fine. For you. But I still wouldn't call it full on sex. If someone has a good explanation about that I would love to hear it.

Can someone make a GA sex quiz? That could be fun :)

I think even if you have a partner, solo masturbation is still lots of fun.

I personally don't like condoms but I encourage every one to use them, why die young, be sick etc.?

I know of 11 years old that have had sex. That's so wrong , it's not even funny.

How can you say sex is either oral or anal/vaginal? Sex is penetrative and not in the mouth either. Oral sex is not 'real' sex, it's foreplay. Even if that's ALL you do. So if you've never had anal/vaginal sex you are still a virgin basically. And I'm not putting oral sex down if that 's all you do, that's fine. For you. But I still wouldn't call it full on sex. If someone has a good explanation about that I would love to hear it.

Can someone make a GA sex quiz? That could be fun :)

the problem i have with that argument, is that I come across so many individuals 10+ who justify their sexual activities by saying they've never had sex before (anal/vaginal). Except, you can still transmit std/sti from oral sex. it's sex. It's not anal, or vaginal sex. but its sex. for some people its foreplay, for others, that's as comfortable as they get with sex (i usually see this in the male/male community).

I've come across individuals who thought that by refraining from having anal/vaginal intercourse and just giving oral sex they could prevent themselves from getting an std/sti.

So I dunno, I don't like the argument that oral sex is not sex. It totally is sex.

James

Not a sexologist

I know straight couples that do not have full on penetrative sex for various reasons that I don't think we need to get into. All they do is oral. Just because your not comfortable with full on sex doesn't mean oral sex can be upgraded. If someone tells you ( and most people won't , no one really discusses their sex lives with me ) I have sex with so and so, I am going to assume it was actual sex. Until you say it was only oral. Then it's like, so you just played around? BUT, if oral is all your comfy with, then that's all you should do. And call it sex if you want, sigh. I see your point but I don't think it's technically correct. But it also doesn't really matter unless your taking a sex survey :)

As for the std/sti with oral sex thing, I'm not 'in the know' for up to date safe sex procedures. I think men use condoms for it now? gag me, that sucks but again nobody wants to be sick. I'm sure there is something for women too? but I have no clue what. I'll have to go to the lesbi boards and ask.

Condoms were a fabulous invention. Thank god we don't have the originals :)

Mari, condoms don't suck quite as much as you seem to think for oral. (Sorry about the pun...) In addition to the 'plain' latex-flavored ones, they also offer a variety of 'flavored' condoms, or you can use flavored lube to help remove the taste. Sure, bareback would be 'better', but... safety first.

I know straight couples that do not have full on penetrative sex for various reasons that I don't think we need to get into. All they do is oral. Just because your not comfortable with full on sex doesn't mean oral sex can be upgraded. If someone tells you ( and most people won't , no one really discusses their sex lives with me ) I have sex with so and so, I am going to assume it was actual sex. Until you say it was only oral. Then it's like, so you just played around? BUT, if oral is all your comfy with, then that's all you should do. And call it sex if you want, sigh. I see your point but I don't think it's technically correct. But it also doesn't really matter unless your taking a sex survey :)

As for the std/sti with oral sex thing, I'm not 'in the know' for up to date safe sex procedures. I think men use condoms for it now? gag me, that sucks but again nobody wants to be sick. I'm sure there is something for women too? but I have no clue what. I'll have to go to the lesbi boards and ask.

oral sex doesn't just involve the penis, it can often involve the vagina or the anus. there are dental dams that people can use. They sell them, or you can usually get them from a clinic or a place that provides free condoms/lubricants/dental dams.

Or if you can't find a dental dam, you can usually make one from a condom. Tear the rubber end off the condom, cut down the side of the condom and you've got a dental dam. I recommend using a non lubricated or flavored condom for this.

James

Knows toooo much.

I must agree 100%. First, why would you keep them and second, my god would they smell today. :funny: